[Discussion] Fit a PC in a G5 PowerMac Enclosure!

TribesMan

1,074 posts in this topic

ahoi bob050,

great job !!looks really nice & clean - great !!

how and where you placed the power supply? and how you have fastened the board?

detailed pics would be nice....

greetz knobsi

That's not my rig, that's Dafut's

Right now im in the process of mounting the motherboard on the original standoffs but not in their original location.

Anyone know what size fans are needed for the back pannel? is it 92mm?

That's not my rig, that's Dafut's

Right now im in the process of mounting the motherboard on the original standoffs but not in their original location.

Anyone know what size fans are needed for the back pannel? is it 92mm?

ohhhhuiiii.... shame on me; seemed to be blinded of this modded case during my post ;)

@ dafut: can you share your secrets about fixing the board with the case and the power supply placement?

would be great !!

tia, knobis

I thing, like me some guys can use shuffle power supply...

they are pretty small and ca be installed in place of the original powersupply, under the small part of aluminium, at the down of the mainboard.

I'll try to explain how i put in the mainboard and the powersupply.

41627phpyqmlry.jpg

41627phphWo11Q.jpg

I started with a G5 case and a rear of a normal case (how do you call that in English?).

41627phpcvzc2C.jpg

41627phpD5AZVM.jpg

41627phpMCahmA.jpg

I made a howl in the rear of the case so i could put in the normal rear. I fastened it in the original screw holes. (I also modded the normal rear so i could put in 2 80mm fans.)

41627phpV8TC63.jpg

41627phpQzqDY7.jpg

41627php1V7c6u.JPG

For the powersupply i made a kind of brace out of plastic. (I don't know how to explian it exactly in english)

My English ain't very good I'm srry for that. I'm 16 and still learning english at school(I'm Dutch).

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

HOLY :hysterical:;) :censored2: !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Kudos to all who've done this! :D

My only question is, is there a way to set a button on the front of the case to eject the optical drive tray? Would the SATA cables that come with the G5 work with AMD/Intel boards? I assume they would.

That case stinks! I bought it thinking it might be the best look-alike to a PowerMac but it definately isn't. It's SUPER noisy for one (it sounds like there's a hurricane going on in there), and that's not metal in the front, it's plastic painted silver. To make things worse, the plastic looks really cheap, like the plastic you get from those cheap CD players people buy at walmart. The slots in the back don't fit your cards correctly either, so you might just be better off modifying an actual G5 case. Somehow that case ended up in the back of my explorer, where it now just tumbles back and forth at every stop. That's one crappy case I tell ya'...

• 2 weeks later...

Guys any succes with original apple fans? I'm trying to figure it out but no luck so far. I looked up the original Apple PowerMac G5 service manual (page 101), and there is pinout for CPUs front (removable) fans. It looks like those two just an usual fans with PWM control, but i tried to connect those two in the drive bay, but it does not work.

Any ideas?

Or maybe does somebody know how to disassemble drive bay? So I could take a closer look at those fans inside... I cant remove the locking mecanism...

Guys any succes with original apple fans? I'm trying to figure it out but no luck so far. I looked up the original Apple PowerMac G5 service manual (page 101), and there is pinout for CPUs front (removable) fans. It looks like those two just an usual fans with PWM control, but i tried to connect those two in the drive bay, but it does not work.

Any ideas?

Or maybe does somebody know how to disassemble drive bay? So I could take a closer look at those fans inside... I cant remove the locking mecanism...

Hi,

I'm using original Apple fans of the drive bay...

You have to connect the first and the second wires togheter... they correspond to the red wire in a common fan

The other wire is the third and it's the black wire in a common fan

The fourth wire I suppose controls the fan (like the yellow one in common fans) but it doesn't work for me... I don't know why...

Your second question... how to disassemble the drive bay?

You have to unlock the alluminium divider (between drive bay - HD and DVDRW - and the mainboard)

To unlock this divider you have to unlock firstly the door's looking mechanisn...

I will look for some pictures that could help you...

Meanwhile I will try to explain you even if it's not very simple without images...

Under the edge of the alluminium divider you will find a gray plastic fillet with 3 side panel looking parts inside

These little plugs have a little clip that keep them in the right position.

If you remove the clip you can remove also these 3 metallic parts.

Once you removed these parts you have to remove also the little plug on the right end of the plastic fillet...

This plug has another little clip on the top.

This plug connects the fillet to the rear external allumium mechanism to open the case.

Once you removed even this plug you will find some screws that fasten the plastic fillet

If you remove these screws you can remove the fillet.

Now you have to remove the black screws that you can see under the alluminium divider (these screws fasten the HD bracket and the fans in front of it).

Now you can unlock the divider and you have free access to the HD bracket and to the fans.

I don't know if you understand clearly what I mean...

Have a nice day

Bye

:D

I cracked it! :> mwahahahah :)

Ok... here is the pinout...

1 +12V

2 rpm sensor

3 GND

4 +12V

Pin 1 on the blower (5-pin connector) is the one wich is used and pin 5 is not connected on the blower...

The drive bay fan is a little bit trickyer, because it has only 4 pins, but it is esentialy the same as the blower only there is no pin 5...

So if you look at the connctor with notches UP and wires going away from you, pin 1 is the leftmost.

And I DO NOT recomend connecting the drive bay fan to the motherboard it chunks 0.4A of current and I think that the motherboards these days are not designed for souch a amount of current. It is also VERY loud... so I tried it at lower voltage and it works quite happy from 4V on... and it is quite civilised up to 6V... The blower is a bit more quiet. And it also consumes less current up to 0.2A. It also works from 4V and up to 7V it is very quiet...

I hope you will find that information usefull... :D

Happy modding!

• Like 1

Nice project, im personaly going to fit my pc in a G5 case but i would like to use the original power supply if possible, and is just intrested in if someone have done it and have some tips about it.

P.S Do anyone have the specs on the 600W G5 PSU? Amps and everything.

Hello... I've been busy prepareing my G5 case for local LAN party wich will start in Friday...

Here is a sneak peak of my current work...

I've painted two fans from black... to G5 gray... almost identical to original fans in the drive bay.

Those two will be placed at the back side of the case (behind CPUs)

PowerMac%20G5%2049.JPG

First try to fit the new motherboard and PSU (at the bottom)

PowerMac%20G5%2052.JPG

PSU front detail (I shortened all the cables and modified them to fit the case almost perfectly...

PowerMac%20G5%2053.JPG

PSU back detail, I glued the mains power connector to the case (I know not the nicest solution :>)

PowerMac%20G5%2054.JPG

Here you can see that there is place for one aditional HDD at the bottom, and also the PSU fans (60mm)

those fans are just an temporary solution until I get new (more quiet) fans tomorow.

PowerMac%20G5%2055.JPG

First picture with hard drives and DVDRW mounted...

PowerMac%20G5%2056.JPG

Detail of expansion card area. (TV tuner at the top, WiFi card, USB bracket and graphics card), you can also see the routing of SATA cables (those are supposed to be black...)

PowerMac%20G5%2057.JPG

Backside fans mounted

PowerMac%20G5%2058.JPG

Geting closer...

PowerMac%20G5%2059.JPG

Liftoff :)

PowerMac%20G5%2060.JPG

That blue fan is just vulgar... I've disconnected LED diodes so it is not glowing blue anymore :)

Next step will be new siletn fans for the PSU, PSU bay cover (wich is already made but i haven mounted it yet, because i need to change PSU fans), and after that I only need to connect drive bay fans and paint the SATA cables :>

What do you think?

What do you think?

Looks great mate. I'm stuck on whether to put a full atx back on but leave the original fans on, stick with just four expansion slots, and another option which i have forgot. I'm hopefully watercooling mine :)

Good work, keep it up and keep us posted!

Update... with more pictures :thumbsdown_anim:

PSU bay cover:

PowerMac%20G5%2061.JPG

Frontpanel with working LED, switch and USB... Firewire is not working and i'm not sure why...

PowerMac%20G5%2062.JPG

A little bit messy around SATA connectors... (I need to paint those black...)

PowerMac%20G5%2063.JPG

I also got new fans for PSU bay area... very quiet even at 12V...

PowerMac%20G5%2064.JPG

And a new power connector stand... the glue thing was not OK:

PowerMac%20G5%2065.JPG

PSU bay cover in place:

PowerMac%20G5%2066.JPG

View from the top:

PowerMac%20G5%2067.JPG

Screws hold it in place:

PowerMac%20G5%2068.JPG

Nice screws :D

PowerMac%20G5%2069.JPG

And a final shot: