[Discussion] Fit a PC in a G5 PowerMac Enclosure!

TribesMan

1,074 posts in this topic

• 2 weeks later...

anyone else have more pictures of the beginning phases...

im just startin this mod and i would love to see peoples images of the front pannel connections, and if you used the mac power cable ... pictures of your mods. as well as if you used the hard drive fan and blower

thanks

anyone else have more pictures of the beginning phases...

im just startin this mod and i would love to see peoples images of the front pannel connections, and if you used the mac power cable ... pictures of your mods. as well as if you used the hard drive fan and blower

thanks

Hello ho11ywood45,

unfortunately I don't have photo of my mod's beginning phases.

For the G5 front panel connections I used an electrical tester to surely identify pinouts but you can find also some Apple service manual images

For the PSU I used an ATX power supply that I modified (I put my ATX PSU in a G5 PSU box)... I used the G5 power cables for HD and optical drive. Actually I have 5 HD and 1 optical drive on my G5

The G5 HD fan and blower are quite noisy at 12Volt so I use them at 5Volt

I will post some photo in next days

PS. Take your time with the mod

Don't cut the case to install the motherboard...

im interested as to why you say dont cut the case...i almost dont want to but just want to know your reasoning why

Hi,

when I started my mod I looked on the web for other G5 mods... a lot of modders decided to cut their case to install an ATX motherboard because by this way they can solve a big problem...

I suggested you to keep your case as it is because I think that it's a beautiful case and if you don't cut it your mod will be very similar to the original G5

It's only a personal idea...

:unsure:

• 2 weeks later...

I had a broken PowerMac G5 once. (Long story but f you very much the TSA). I stripped it clean and tried installing a PC into it. I did the stupid thing and tried to use the I/O ports in the rear via cables. If I hadn't and found something for the front ports instead... I might've suceeded. ANyway, good job to those who did suceed :thumbsup_anim:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi atomsk,

Yes that is a good question! The Swiftech radiator that I used had holes drilled for self tappers, no good at all. I borrowed from work a tap and die set, drilld out the holes on a pillar drill set to limited travel then put a 4mm thread into them. Finished this off with a nice set of Hex head Stainless steel socket screws. The angle on the back was drilled and pop rivited to the radiator.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I love the work you guys have done. Great job guys.

i would love to have a g5 case and would gladly pay some one to build it for me (caugh) since i would probably f it up some how if i tried to mod it my self.

:)

great job again guys.

^lol, i wish there was an experienced modder in my area that i could pay to build my case. i'm nervous as all hell that i'm gonna screw it up and be out $115

also having a hard time deciding between the bad axe 2, the gigabyte 965p-ds3, and the gigabyte 965p-dq6

though, if p35/ich9 support comes soon, i may go that direction

you cant go wrong with the d975xbx2, all you do is patch the audio, install your favorite video card and you are on your way. plus it has support for quad core kentsfields :o