• Please log in to reply
85 replies to this topic

Neilis

Neilis

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts
Bill isn't the CEO at Microsoft. That would be Steve Balmer (aka the crazy chair throwing gorilla - "DEVELOPERS!").

Honestly, Windows was crappier, but politically better under Bill's control versus Steve. Back in the days of Win 3.1/95/98 windows stunk. Crashed all the time. I had to reinstall at least every few months. Things would lock up for no reason. Etc. But overall it wasn't very restrictive. Fastforward to modern day.

Now, truth be told, functionally, Windows 2000, XP, and even Vista aren't that bad. I use all 3 on various systems. They're fast, responsive, and never crash. Sure spyware and adware is a problem for some Windows users, but as a very computer literate person (programmer/DB admin with a BS in CompSci), I never have issues with those (I use Firefox, keep my box patched, and don't download every other stupid cursor mod or desktop buddy program I see). The problem these days though is that I can't change more than a handful of components before the OS wants to call home and reverify itself. Microsoft's media player has the most restrictive DRM model I can imagine. If you want to protect your license files (like say, if you need to reinstall), you have to back them up separately, but the person who sold the media can stipulate that it can't be backed up - so essentially if I reinstall I lose that media, and there's no way to prevent it.

I'm not sure if I'd prefer to deal with the crappy functionality or the restrictive babysitting more, though "neither" is certainly my preferred answer (which is why I try to use OS X or Linux these days).

macprodan

macprodan

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 727 posts
Check out this Video, First time I have seen it, this ran so smooth 11 years ago. and wow does it seem like the OS we have today. Not much has changed...

OS X before it`s Time.

phpguru

phpguru

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
Quoted above "You can tell he loves his job too, because he has been working for only $1 (plus stock) a year."

Yeah... that (plus stock) gave him over 300 million dollars last year. I hate the fact that he publishes this because its simply not true. There are many many many CEOs who make less than he does when you factor it all in. If he was truly in love with his company, he'd give that stock back or do something good for the community. His publicity stunts make me sick.

phpguru

ArcticPro

ArcticPro

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Who cares what Steve makes, if I had a job I'd want to get paid doing it.

The Apple stock is at all time highs, what has Steve done wrong?

phpguru

phpguru

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
Right, but you don't try to fool the public into thinking you're some humanitarian when you're really just in it for the money like the rest of us.

There's no question that the company under him has done well. And from what he started, it could definitely do better. If done right (doubt it would happen under Steve), Apple could streamline their products and slash prices heavily on their computers and basically own the computer market. The way they put physical design > engineering needs to be altered to produce hardware superior products in addition to software superior products.

phpguru

janderson7715

janderson7715

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

...what has Steve done wrong?<br />

Well, he has failed to release a mid-tower Mac, you know a regular computer like every other manufacturer sells...

Next, he has refused to license OS X to the likes of Dell, HP or Sony...

Alessandro17

Alessandro17

Chief of Security

• Administrators
  • 8,304 posts

Well, he has failed to release a mid-tower Mac, you know a regular computer like every other manufacturer sells...

Which is really crazy because I don't understand what Apple would lose from such a computer. In fact they could gain tons more users.

bxsci(macuser)

bxsci(macuser)

Insane in the Bronx

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 455 posts

Which is really crazy because I don't understand what Apple would lose from such a computer. In fact they could gain tons more users.

they would gain users but then no one would buy imacs anymore. all the cost and development of the imac would go to waste and then they would start to fall in line with every other hardware manufacturer.

bofors

bofors

ConvertIt2Mac.com

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,462 posts

they would gain users but then no one would buy imacs anymore. all the cost and development of the imac would go to waste and then they would start to fall in line with every other hardware manufacturer.

I disagree with this. iMacs are a different market, some people want an "all-in-one", some don't. The developing iMac or a new mid-tower Mac is negligible to a company the size of Apple. The idea of not given people a basic choice, a mid-tower, while trying to grow market share makes no sense to me.

Achilleus

Achilleus

Developers, Developers, Developers!

• Donators
  • 125 posts
I agree. Apple needs to get a mid ranged tower, because I sure as hell don't want an allinone, I don't want a mini cube, and I can't really afford anything but the minicube anyway so I DEFINITELY can't get the pro. They need a bargain computer that's upgradable, it makes more sense to me then anything. I'd actually buy a goddamn Apple if I could afford one, but the only thing I'd be willing to buy from them is a powerbook or a mac pro. Which as I've stated before are too much $$$.

Spyro7

Spyro7

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

I don't want an iMac, but I would buy a mid-range upgradeable mac at the drop of a hat. The customers that Apple would gain would be people like me that aren't in the iMac market. People who want an iMac, which is a pretty cool all in one, would still get an iMac. At the moment people who want a midrange are just plain out of luck. They get nothing. The Mac Pro and the iMac have a tremendous gap between them.

Colonel Ingus

Colonel Ingus

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 475 posts

Apple could streamline their products and slash prices heavily on their computers and basically own the computer market.

Not true. At first you would see this effect, but after a year or so it would actually work against them. They need to lower their prices, but only by 10-15%. Any more than that and it would work against them, which obviously they understand ;)

They do need to come out with a mid sized free standing Mac. Something above the Mac mini. And it doesn't necessarily have to be 'PC' style big. The mini's form factor has worked incredibly well for them. A more powerful and customizable version of the 'mini' that has an upgradable videocard section would work nicely. Some of us have nicknamed this the Mac Mini Pro. I believe we may well see such a machine surface within the next 6 months :)

FUKKU

FUKKU

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 227 posts

Quoted above "You can tell he loves his job too, because he has been working for only $1 (plus stock) a year."

Yeah... that (plus stock) gave him over 300 million dollars last year. I hate the fact that he publishes this because its simply not true. There are many many many CEOs who make less than he does when you factor it all in. If he was truly in love with his company, he'd give that stock back or do something good for the community. His publicity stunts make me sick.

phpguru

Yeah god forbid someone get MONEY for their WORK :)

Apple wouldn't be {censored} without Steve and people like Jon Ive right now. Back in 97 before Steve came back they were in the {censored} and had a schizophrenic product line. Now it's very consistent, even if there are gaping holes in their line (i.e. high-performing ultraportable, mid-tower).

Anyway, next year I'm buying a desktop. If the iMac can hold more than 4GB of RAM or if there's a mid-tower out by then I'll buy that, otherwise I'm going mid-tower hack if Leopard works better than Tiger does now on homebrew hardware. I love my Macbook but if I'm buying a desktop I want to run a bunch of VMs on it and 4GB won't cut it if I want to use OS X at the same time.

MacVertigo

MacVertigo

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 229 posts
How is Steve hurting Apple? Apple is blowing up! Right now Apple is doing everything right. They are getting peoples interest in their products with iPod, and the iPhone. People play with those "gadgets" and see how great they work, that peeks people interest in their computers. I started using Apple a little over a year ago... I was one of those people. I was sick of windows, I had all the beta versions of Vista and it made me puke. I started doing research on what OS I wanted to run. And I had a iPod(now replaced by my iPhone).. I started looking in to Apple for that reason. I was really impressed. I now am a die hard mac user. And the thing about using mac is that we all tell our friends "you have got to ditch that pc!" That is how Apple is going to spread.

The only thing holding back mac right now is the business sector. If they could come up with a cheap, midranged, desktop for busniess they would kill the market. They also need to come up with more busniess software, stuff that all works seemless (like all apple software). I'm stuck in the PC world for part of my work day...and nothing ever works right. Apple needs to go into companies, and I'm not talking Art and Design..they have that market...but the real world.. and sell their computers and software. Then we will see Microsoft start shaking in their boots.

Colonel Ingus

Colonel Ingus

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 475 posts

I started doing research on what OS I wanted to run. And I had a iPod(now replaced by my iPhone).. I started looking in to Apple for that reason. I was really impressed. I now am a die hard mac user.

Yep, same here :blink: I am truly convinced that Apple will one day take over being the number one OS, provided that Leopard is as good as Tiger was. So many people that I know think that windows is their only option, and as soon as you mention Apple to them they say "yeah, I've 'heard' of them but...". Once you start educating them about the advantages of OS X they jump the 'windows ship' and wonder why more people don't do the same. The point is that MANY people 'put up' with windows because they think they have to. For one reason or another they aren't educated about OS X, but as soon as they learn more about it they gladly switch :unsure:

If they could come up with a cheap, midranged, desktop for busniess they would kill the market.

Apple will never come out with a 'cheap' midrange. That's not what they are about. They will probably come out with a midrange desktop, but it won't be cheap. That's not the image they're trying to present.

realfolkblues

realfolkblues

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 212 posts

Apple will never come out with a 'cheap' midrange. That's not what they are about. They will probably come out with a midrange desktop, but it won't be cheap.

Can someone say mac mini?

Colonel Ingus

Colonel Ingus

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 475 posts
The current Mac mini is not a midrange desktop. Bump up the processor and video section, add FW 800 and then it will be. Many people have asked for a Mac mini Pro version and that would work nicely but the current mini is not midrange, it's entry level.

MacVertigo

MacVertigo

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 229 posts
Yes, Apple does have the MacMini, but people look at it and don't see power. I was at the Apple store with my sister trying to "convert" her. She looked at the iMac and said "well why would I buy this, I have a monitor"...then she looked at the MacMini and said.."it looks like it doesn't do much, its so small". So that is why they need something that "looks" substantial. Somthing that has a little more power, sized, and something mid-priced. Apple needs a 1200-1500 dollar computer that has some good power.

Colonel Ingus

Colonel Ingus

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 475 posts

she looked at the MacMini and said.."it looks like it doesn't do much, its so small".

Judge a book by its cover much? :blink: The 'power' of a computer is not related to its footprint.

ahduke99

ahduke99

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
The only way steve is hurting apple is the prospect of him leaving. the problem is that apple IS steve jobs. no one knows anything but him. when he does step down or die, apple will tank initially. i bet the stock drops 50% before it bottoms out. that is the only way he is hurting apple. the company relies so much on him that if he leaves, the heart and face of apple leaves with him. he has somewhat of a cult following that no other CEO has in any company.

his stubbornness may also hurt the company, but his vision outweighs what his pitfalls do to apple. he isn't hurting them .. if it weren't for him, apple would not exist .. or Microsoft would be holding them together so they wont look like a monopoly.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy