Is Steve hurting Apple?

Swad

89 posts in this topic

OS X on PC.

Mac Tablet/Mac netbook.

Increasing hardware failures.

iPhone only with AT&T.

App store Nazis.

Snow Leopard should have been a free update.

AppleCare is a joke, so is support for legacy hardware.

Paid firmware updates that crash or otherwise cripple your iPod Touch

These are a just few things that are hurting Apple.

From where I stand, Steve is a creative visionary, but he seems very immature. As Apple continues to grow as a corporate player, the company needs to act more mature. That whole "secret production" thing that Apple has been pulling was fun for a while (like with the iPhone), but it's worn out it's welcome.

All in all, I don't think Steve is replaceable.

• 4 months later...
i agree that people need to be open minded, but steve jobs is steve jobs. he singlehandedly brought apple back from the dead, and now its growing more than ever. YOu can tell he lovs his job too, because he has been working for only $1 (plus stock) a year. he is very eccentric, and i dont see him stepping down for another 2 years. io can live with that, simply because i know it works. apple is doing great with him in power.

2010 and steve is still here

• 1 month later...

Steve Jobs is a very essential part of Apple. His business model helped bring Apple back from the dead in 1997, he's helped designed some of the most innovative computers that Apple has sold (iMac, anyone?), and he's changed industries that his company didn't ever imagine to change, like the cellphone industry with the iPhone. If he was to leave, Apple would begin to falter again like it did in the 90's (unless Woz comes back/Phil Schiller takes over and does as good a job as Jobs).

However, Steve has hurt Apple in several ways as well. I personally don't agree with his ban of cross-compilers for the iPhone, as that gives developers more options for creating great apps. I don't agree with his increasing patent wars between other rival companies, as that stifles perfectly good competition. I don't agree at all about the App Store acceptance policy (unless it's for vaporware like I Am Rich), which seemingly only changes when the App Store is publicly criticized with a very popular app (like the one that won the Pulitzer Prize; in fact, shouldn't it be illegal to do that? It infringes on the First Amendment with free speech, especially with apps that criticize public figures). And then, OS X on PCs is a policy I blatantly hate. There's no reason except for "quality control" and marketing. I hate that restriction on the OS. I mean, my MacBook is a great computer; I'm not denying that, but the fact that it cost $2,500 when I got it and became outmoded rather signficantly later that year (unibody MacBook) shows that it might not be worth it to continue investing in their hardware. The OS is great; the hardware leaves a bit to be desired.

[/criticism]

2010 and steve is still here

Correct!

Its 2010, The year everybody is claiming that AAPL will be worth more than MSFT. However it came out to be a rumor today that today was the day deemed false. BUT, Mr Jobs only has ~25billion to rock before he takes over as king.

I love Time Capsule threads like these....

Good Job Apple....

• 2 weeks later...

2007-2010 and Apple do many changes from ipod to pad to new apple lap ,from all steve presentation over the years I think he only hurt people when he presented ipad confidently and it failed most people expectation include me

Jobs is certainly helping in the short term. But long term, how is he going to keep them "down on the farm"? And by that, I mean the sharecropping application developers. I mean, if I have a really hot software idea, the last place I want to build on is rented land in the iPhone/iPad ecosystem (or on Facebook, or on Twitter). The "massa" is never going to let anyone else get rich, or even be free, on *their* land.

• 2 weeks later...

... to put it shortly and politely, Steve is hurting the company long term. He may try to be a benevolent dictator, but that effort will ultimately fail. Because of the dictatorial component.

They all do. May as well take his face and paste it into the 1984 big brother monitors. It's tragic how he managed to turn the company into a creature he decried not that long ago.

• 3 weeks later...
i agree that people need to be open minded, but steve jobs is steve jobs. he singlehandedly brought apple back from the dead, and now its growing more than ever. YOu can tell he lovs his job too, because he has been working for only $1 (plus stock) a year. he is very eccentric, and i dont see him stepping down for another 2 years. io can live with that, simply because i know it works. apple is doing great with him in power.

Couldn't Put it better bob :) soz if this is spam <.<

• 5 years later...
  • 3 months later...