Success with High Sierra on i9-7900x X299 GA Aorus 9, Radeon Vega

190 posts in this topic

I used Aomei Partition assistant.

When I had 2 GPU the only rendering benchmark that used them together was Luxmark.

attachicon.gifScreenshot 2017-08-31 17.22.24.png

Here's my score:

Both GPU's - 39,087 and Both GPU's and CPU - 41,922. and the GPU TACH lights were lit on both cards. So they do work, but just like Gig said:

Apple doesn't support crossfire, thats a Windows setup we can only use two cards for some openCl apps with the openGl apps like uningine, cinebench and general gaming apps only one card is utilized.   It sucks, but its the apple way.    

I wonder if Metal 2 and other like kind apps will be Photoshop, Illustrator friendly in the future or is CUDA going to continue to be Adobe's choice? Would be nice to know this. In any case this is a fast system. Would be faster if I had my M.2 SSD working. Have to wait until I get Windows 10 installed on my other SSD and install Aomei Partition Assistant.

• Like 1

So i haven't made any progress on the power management but i was able to finally get my Alpine ridge thunderbolt card running.... took a clean install of windows and a lot of turning things on in th right way to get it to show up so i could update firmware... but once that happened it worked first time in Sierra... Winn... I now have my UA apollo back.. woo.

So back to power management.... 

Ive Followed Surfchinas over clocking guide (well i added the relevant stuff in my BIOS)... and it didnt seem to make much differnce.

Im still hovering around the 20k mark with Geek bench. Ive tried a whol bunch of stuff but it never gets anywhere near my score in windows... which seems about right.

Im sure its something stupid im doing or not doing... as this is my first non standard hackintosh ive never had to deal with power management so i dont really know where to look.

Ive attached a bunch of stuff including Various tests with different stuff on and off.

Any help is very much appreciated.

Maybe you will try my ssdt? :D

PS: BTW Did you modified VoodooTSCSync? What is very very important too..

Right Mouse click on VoodooTSCSync.kext

file - then click  Show Packet Contents

then /contents 

then you have to open info.plist with some text editor 

and find IOCPUNumber

then change value on 19 if you have 7900X or 

11 for 7800X

Like that:

<key>IOCPUNumber</key>

<integer>19</integer>

Save -and reboot :)

*Did you tried iMac 17,1? maybe it will be better than 6,1?

.. if you have still the same, so "low" performance

We will see what we can do.... :)

Have a nice day! :D

VoodooTSCSync.kext.zip

ssdt.aml.zip

Enabling CPU EIST in bios seemed to give me a big performance jump.... I had voodoo set to 19 and had built a custom ssdt... but I will try yours to see if it's better. Thanks!

I'm getting about 30k on geekbench and 2300 on cinebenvh. Which is close to my windows score.

• Like 2

Enabling CPU EIST in bios seemed to give me a big performance jump.... I had voodoo set to 19 and had built a custom ssdt... but I will try yours to see if it's better. Thanks!

I'm getting about 30k on geekbench and 2300 on cinebenvh. Which is close to my windows score.

I tried the EIST and you're right!

I'm still getting the speedsteps and the computer is a lot faster. Temps have gone up from mid 80s to low 100s in cinebench though.

Here we were just carrying on with the old X99 conventions without sufficient testing... Nice find!

• Like 1

If I use Nvidia 1080Ti and 128GB RAM, will it work?

I don't think the amount of ram matters.

There are new web drivers for Nvidia but I don't know if they work. There are a few threads around dealing with this :)

Off topic here but I have stumbled onto a sudo overclock for my Ryzen 7 1700 Vega 64 system.   Although the drivers for Vega are not quite there yet the RX 480 is kicking some serious booteeh!   I bet I can top your Luxmark and Geekbenches with it.    looky here!  It thinks its running at 4.9GHz.    

post-1753549-0-21162400-1507493618_thumb.png

post-1753549-0-41681100-1507493695_thumb.png

post-1753549-0-59568600-1507493730_thumb.png

• Like 1

Off topic here but I have stumbled onto a sudo overclock for my Ryzen 7 1700 Vega 64 system. Although the drivers for Vega are not quite there yet the RX 480 is kicking some serious booteeh! I bet I can top your Luxmark and Geekbenches with it. looky here! It thinks its running at 4.9GHz.

Although I do appreciate your enthusiasm, I was able to beat that score a few months ago with a multicore GB score of 59,104 using Dual 2697 v2 CPUs. In fact, there are others on here that reached a little over 50,000 with one i9 7900X CPU. I haven’t tried the other tests yet, but once I get my system going again (which hopefully will be within the next week), I will reveal the newest GB scores. Thanks for your post. ;)

Off topic here but I have stumbled onto a sudo overclock for my Ryzen 7 1700 Vega 64 system.   Although the drivers for Vega are not quite there yet the RX 480 is kicking some serious booteeh!   I bet I can top your Luxmark and Geekbenches with it.    looky here!  It thinks its running at 4.9GHz.    

You may have. I can't get much more than 160000 for my vega and I'm pretty sure geekbench GPU scores aren't affected by CPU, so how did you get 200000 on your vega?

You may have. I can't get much more than 160000 for my vega and I'm pretty sure geekbench GPU scores aren't affected by CPU, so how did you get 200000 on your vega?

Its a mystery for now but if we configure it out it could be a sudo overclocking method.   There are skeptics but it seems to grade perfectly.   The frequency (sudo) shows up in Uningine openGl app.  

Check these out, sudo 6.0Ghz. set in clover.    If I set to 3.0Ghz I get the normal sub par 160,000 scores, as I scale up the benches follow.    My Vega run on 30bit color in Uningine no problem just need to disable AA.

Punknugget check out my Lux Vega 64 single card score.

Its a mystery for now but if we configure it out it could be a sudo overclocking method.   There are skeptics but it seems to grade perfectly.   The frequency (sudo) shows up in Uningine openGl app.  

Check these out, sudo 6.0Ghz. set in clover.    If I set to 3.0Ghz I get the normal sub par 160,000 scores, as I scale up the benches follow.    My Vega run on 30bit color in Uningine no problem just need to disable AA.

post-1753549-0-46224400-1507508125_thumb.png

post-1753549-0-45795900-1507508276_thumb.png

post-1753549-0-72409700-1507508507_thumb.png

post-1753549-0-96162700-1507508536_thumb.png

Is it possible to attach your config.plist? If that's where you made the changes :)

Of course that is possible (Lilu+AppleALC+DSDT/SSDT):

That is excellent news. Could you please share how you did that? I notice that 1.14 version of AppleALC doesn't have X299 patches only X99 ones

I already have the CAVS to HDEF SSDT which makes HDEF show in IOReg, what other SSDTs or patches do I need?

My Codec is the Asus 1120 variant which is the 1120A

Could you please share your EFI folder

No special AppleALC patches are required.

• CAVS -> HDEF is the first step (Clover ACPI patch (or directly in the DSDT))

• The second is is a big change: PC00 -> PCI0 (and PC01->PCI1 and so on)

• And now set the layout ID to "7"

• optional you can describe the device "HDEF" with a "_DSM method"

No special AppleALC patches are required.

• CAVS -> HDEF is the first step (Clover ACPI patch (or directly in the DSDT))

• The second is is a big change: PC00 -> PCI0 (and PC01->PCI1 and so on)

• And now set the layout ID to "7"

• optional you can describe the device "HDEF" with a "_DSM method"

hey,

can you explain how to change layout ID to "7" ? 

Is it possible to attach your config.plist? If that's where you made the changes :)

I don't think it is real performance. Geekbench is partially a synthetic benchmark that takes some system values at face value instead of actually testing for performance. 

I am sure that if Gigamaxx and you compare Luxmark and Cinebench scores then there will be no discrepancy.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys the rig is working, but know I’m having problems at boot, gets stuck in clover at the beginning, I have to use bcfg boot dump to boot again erasing the nvram.

I have te UD4 X299 and a 7900x , the Geekbench scores are around 41.000 so it’s kinda fine.

Shows the sata conector as generic? I’m using voodoo for audio and it’s perfectly working with the gtx 1070.

Please anyone can help me, I think is a pci express problem related since I have a pci for wifi and another one is the Thunderbolt alpine ridge ver 3 ( haven’t tested)

Thanks for your time

• 2 weeks later...

what did you use to install kexts on high sierra? is kext utility still working on high sierra?

I use KCPM. It works really well and does a proper job of repairing permissions.

I just installed 10.13.2 and it's working way better.

The whole deal seems smoother and less prone to crashes, but the biggy is the vega FE. Finally it's as fast as in Windows and there are no GPU crashes in any software.

I delidded my 7900x and it's stable and running cool at 4.9Ghz.

So for anyone who is waiting for a stable High Sierra it's very close.

• Like 1

I use KCPM. It works really well and does a proper job of repairing permissions.

I just installed 10.13.2 and it's working way better.

The whole deal seems smoother and less prone to crashes, but the biggy is the vega FE. Finally it's as fast as in Windows and there are no GPU crashes in any software.

I delidded my 7900x and it's stable and running cool at 4.9Ghz.

So for anyone who is waiting for a stable High Sierra it's very close.

What were your temps at stock before delidding versus after? I just got my 7900X working (ASRock X299 board) and stock temps seem fine with my H115i, but not anything higher. I am trying to decide if I should delid as well. 

How did you delid btw? I see there is some "kit" when I google.

By the way, for some reason I have to use one of Pike's kernel patches of XCPM_core_scope (just NOP'ed) in order to boot, otherwise it is cpus=1 land, even after changing a million BIOS settings. 

Once I have that one patch, then BIOS can be at default settings and I get nice clean consistent performance at max multiplier.

I need little help. I instaled 10.13.1 on my custom machine: gigabyte X299 aorus gaming 3, i7 7820X, GTX 980Ti. I used clover from first page of this post. Problem is: when I played video without audio, works fine. When I played audio file, works. fine. When I played video with audio, machine crashes. Any idea? 

I need little help. I instaled 10.13.1 on my custom machine: gigabyte X299 aorus gaming 3, i7 7820X, GTX 980Ti. I used clover from first page of this post. Problem is: when I played video without audio, works fine. When I played audio file, works. fine. When I played video with audio, machine crashes. Any idea? 

Do you have the onboard audio working?

Is your CPU at stock speeds?

• Like 1