Success with High Sierra on i9-7900x X299 GA Aorus 9, Radeon Vega

190 posts in this topic

Since upgrading to 10.13.2, almost all my boot attempts end up with OsxAptioFix Errors. Tried all combinations i know, like OsxAptio2, Test2-2016, OsxAptioFix2Drv-free2000.efi, LowMemFix etc.. No Success so far. Also tried BIOS reset. 

Any suggestions? Maybe somebody could compile a version of OsxAptioFix with more MaxMemory. I would do it myself but i can't get the clover compiler to work.

As @PunkNugget mentioned, I am able to boot my system under 10.13.2 without any issues with OsxAptioFixDrv-64.efi from Clover_v2.4k_r4318 and Test2-2016.efi of Nickwoodhams in EFI/CLOVER/drivers64UEFI/. 

I don’t know much on how to program all those things you mentioned, but KGP did a Nic job explaining how to install the update to 10.13.2.

http://bit.ly/2kMHiQr

You may have been on here already, but if you haven’t you might want to look through that post. Read page one as KGP updates it periodically. Hope this helps, Later...

It's probably not an OsxAptioFix problem. There's a few learned people saying that the newer clovers have fixed that now.

@UcaUca we would need some idea of your rig  before being able to help. And the nature of the problem.

• Like 1

It's probably not an OsxAptioFix problem. There's a few learned people saying that the newer clovers have fixed that now.

@UcaUca we would need some idea of your rig  before being able to help. And the nature of the problem.

It is an  OsxAptioFix problem. I already described the solution in post #157!

Thanks for removing the rest of effronteries you distribute about my person and thread! 

You are definitely the last one to judge other people.... 

Cheers,

KGP

It is an OsxAptioFix problem. I already described the solution in post #157!

Thanks for removing the rest of effronteries you distribute about my person and thread!

You are definitely the last one to judge other people....

Cheers,

KGP

I agree with KGP. Although I do see that he does lean towards the Asus board, he did (like myself) inially use the Gigabyte board and through his thorough research has found that the Asus board is much more reliable. I too was the second person that went through the same issues that he did. So you have two testimonies. Also he’s much better at explaining how would install everything then I could ever be, That’s why I provided that link to his post.

Just to let you know he has also provided continued help for people that own that particular Gigabyte board as well. In this area I have to say SurfinChina I too appreciate you removing some of your comments. I may not like KGP’s approach all the time, but at least he does make effort to help people.

• Like 1

There's a few learned people saying that the newer clovers have fixed that now.

I feel dumb I didn't try this from the very beginning. However, installing most recent Clover fixed it. 

So lets talk about Bluetooth. I would like to disable the onboard Bluetooth controller of my Aorus 9 in order to use my PCIe AddOn Card. Disabling in BIOS is not possible as for some stupid reason Gigabyte did not implement such a option (or I am too dumb to find it). "Bluetooth Explorer", an add-on tool distributed by Apple also is not capable of switching the primary bluetooth device, even though both are recognised. So I thought: Hm, why not disabling the USB port it is internally connected to... but this seems to be a bit more complicated as Apple does not deliver a "Device Manager" where we could just switch of any device. Please check the attached pic to see what I mean. Basically it would be enough if I could tell the system: "Ignore whats plugged in to 14d00000"

So, any idea how to achieve this? 

In Clover Configurator under "Kernel and Kext Patches" there are some default patches, but I have no clue how to do something like this on my own... at least not at the moment.

post-646704-0-26473800-1512939031_thumb.png

Hi did anyone try 10.13.2.1 Beta with Vega? Apparently, the 10.13.2.1 Beta fixes some Vega related issues. Assuming the public update after 21 December will come with some improvements for Vega, as iMac Pro is coming out then. 

If someone has tried 10.13.2.1 Beta, could they please address what kind of improvements they are getting with the Vega, if they are getting any. :) 

I feel dumb I didn't try this from the very beginning. However, installing most recent Clover fixed it. 

So lets talk about Bluetooth. I would like to disable the onboard Bluetooth controller of my Aorus 9 in order to use my PCIe AddOn Card. Disabling in BIOS is not possible as for some stupid reason Gigabyte did not implement such a option (or I am too dumb to find it). "Bluetooth Explorer", an add-on tool distributed by Apple also is not capable of switching the primary bluetooth device, even though both are recognised. So I thought: Hm, why not disabling the USB port it is internally connected to... but this seems to be a bit more complicated as Apple does not deliver a "Device Manager" where we could just switch of any device. Please check the attached pic to see what I mean. Basically it would be enough if I could tell the system: "Ignore whats plugged in to 14d00000"

So, any idea how to achieve this? 

In Clover Configurator under "Kernel and Kext Patches" there are some default patches, but I have no clue how to do something like this on my own... at least not at the moment.

We all do these things sometimes :D

I'm sure there's a way to disable the original blutooth, I just don't know it. Try asking in the clover thread.

In the preferences - bluetooth, there's a wee X to remove the bluetooth. Have you tried that?

post-1564334-0-42398800-1512943622_thumb.png

Hi did anyone try 10.13.2.1 Beta with Vega? Apparently, the 10.13.2.1 Beta fixes some Vega related issues. Assuming the public update after 21 December will come with some improvements for Vega, as iMac Pro is coming out then. 

If someone has tried 10.13.2.1 Beta, could they please address what kind of improvements they are getting with the Vega, if they are getting any. :)

I have the Vega FE and yes, the 10.13.2s helped. There are no crashes, the activity lights don't go on full all the time and it's about 15% faster.

I have the Vega FE and yes, the 10.13.2s helped. There are no crashes, the activity lights don't go on full all the time and it's about 15% faster.

That is great news, SurfInChina. You don't happen to know if the RX Vega 56 works as well as the Vega FE, do you? 

Has there been any reports suggesting one to not get RX Vega 56 over the other Vega cards? RX Vega 56 is the cheapest Vega card as of now, might stay that way most likely, but not that many reports on it in comparison to the FE and 64. :)

That is great news, SurfInChina. You don't happen to know if the RX Vega 56 works as well as the Vega FE, do you? 

Has there been any reports suggesting one to not get RX Vega 56 over the other Vega cards? RX Vega 56 is the cheapest Vega card as of now, might stay that way most likely, but not that many reports on it in comparison to the FE and 64. :)

There's not a lot of info, no. I've heard about the odd problem with multiple monitors on the RX but they're spread around lots of threads and I didn't pay attention because I have the FE.

It's no surprise on account of the reference model(the FE) will always have the correct ports. If I remember any of the threads I'll send it to you.

• Like 1

There's not a lot of info, no. I've heard about the odd problem with multiple monitors on the RX but they're spread around lots of threads and I didn't pay attention because I have the FE.

It's no surprise on account of the reference model(the FE) will always have the correct ports. If I remember any of the threads I'll send it to you.

Thank you, I will greatly appreciate that. 

I don't really mind the monitor and port limitation. I don't use monitors, I turn them off. 

I actually have two of the Vega Frontier cards as I can’t have more than two monitors working on one card. The only way to get three monitors working is to get two cards and you also have to connect DisplayPorts in a particular order or it doesn’t work. Even a Hackintosh has its quirks, but it does work.

I actually have two of the Vega Frontier cards as I can’t have more than two monitors working on one card. The only way to get three monitors working is to get two cards and you also have to connect DisplayPorts in a particular order or it doesn’t work. Even a Hackintosh has its quirks, but it does work.

Right. Have you heard of any RX cards that don't work?

People who have success with x299, does sleep work for you?

Yep. Works fine.

Please note I did not follow the guide here.

I don't use NullCPUPower.. I use SMBios 18,3 and ssdtPRGen to create a power profile. This works perfectly BTW: idle is stable at 1.2GHz and full load is 4.3GHz (or 4.4GHz with a mild OC). 

But note that I have Power Nap off, that caused reboots. When the computer sleeps, it sleeps until I tell it to wake. ;-)

Yep. Works fine.

Please note I did not follow the guide here.

I don't use NullCPUPower.. I use SMBios 18,3 and ssdtPRGen to create a power profile. This works perfectly BTW: idle is stable at 1.2GHz and full load is 4.3GHz (or 4.4GHz with a mild OC). 

But note that I have Power Nap off, that caused reboots. When the computer sleeps, it sleeps until I tell it to wake. ;-)

I didn't follow this guide too. I don't use NullCPUPower as well. I'm using iMac19,1 (faking iMacPro) with -no_compat_check, it has HWP enabled and I dropped all tables related to CPU. So the system works just fine, except sleep. The problem is panic on wake. 

Could you please tell me more about PowerNap? Having PN enabled, does it reboot while it's waking up on it's own or does it reboot if you're waking it?

UPD. Just tried sleep with PowerNap disabled - it still panics on wake.

I didn't follow this guide too. I don't use NullCPUPower as well. I'm using iMac19,1 (faking iMacPro) with -no_compat_check, it has HWP enabled and I dropped all tables related to CPU. So the system works just fine, except sleep. The problem is panic on wake. 

Could you please tell me more about PowerNap? Having PN enabled, does it reboot while it's waking up on it's own or does it reboot if you're waking it?

It reboots when it tries to wake by itself. It wakes up fine when I press the power button.

Others have had success with iMac17,1, but my video was not recognized, so I went for 18,3. Since everything seems to be working with minimal kext and minimal config.plist, I just leave it.

Notice that I use XCPM: I run ssdtPRGen with -x 1. You can see my guide here:

https://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/327964-msi-x299-sli-plus-and-intel-7820x-installation-and-post-installation-steps/

It reboots when it tries to wake by itself. It wakes up fine when I press the power button.

Others have had success with iMac17,1, but my video was not recognized, so I went for 18,3. Since everything seems to be working with minimal kext and minimal config.plist, I just leave it.

Notice that I use XCPM: I run ssdtPRGen with -x 1. You can see my guide here:

https://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/327964-msi-x299-sli-plus-and-intel-7820x-installation-and-post-installation-steps/

Thanks for your info.

I use XCPM too. Faking 19,1 seems to enable HWP PM for my i9-7900X, it doesn't use CPU tables of any origin. However, I tried with tables from BIOS, tried with tables generated by ssdtPRGen - XCPM works fine with any of them. But sleep mode still doesn't work.

hey guys,

I'm aware that there is a SSDT for codec commander which enables audio after sleep for the ALC1120 codec however this doesn't work on the Asus variant ALC1120A.

Does anyone have or know how to edit the SSDT to work with ALC1120A?

You might want to go here: 

#####

and ask KGP as he was helping me with sound issue and using my Asus board. Hope this helps.

• 5 weeks later...

Hyeya guys,

I was wondering, what are the OpenGL scores for the Vega cards you guys are getting? 

Are you guys seeing a drastic improvement with content creation tools, if any of you use those? Is rendering much smoother? 

Would be nice if you guys could write down the result, instead of pictures. Or do both. I would appreciate it. I am blind, so I can't see pictures, to be able to read pictures, I would have to OCR them. 

:)

Any success with Aorus 9 and Imacpro1,1 smbios? Im getting allocation errors at boot, doesn't matter if i use osxaptio3 or AptioMemoryFix. Any suggestions? slide values?

Aorus 9 and SMBIOS imac pro 1,1 is working great.

I'm on the latest 10.13.4, the latest January bios and I've got native USB now. XMP is good on my memory finally.

I'm using slide = 1 and OsxAptioFix2Drv-64.efi

No AptioMemoryFix

You might need a modified platform support plist unless you're using the imac pro installation.

10.13.3 was fine as well.

• Like 2

@surfinchina

Can you share your EFI folder, please? I need some inspiration ;)

Thanks !

BTW: thank you for the slide value. It works great!

Glad I could help with slide!

Things have moved on :P

Now on 10.13.4, removed all USB kexts and patches, removed slide and changed to OsxAptioFixDrv.

You're welcome to try it.

It's too big to attach so I've given you config.plist and a couple of screenshots...

post-1564334-0-09398000-1516990973.png

post-1564334-0-46102100-1516990988_thumb.png

config.plist.zip

• Like 2