Success with High Sierra on i9-7900x X299 GA Aorus 9, Radeon Vega

190 posts in this topic

Asus Prime X299 Deluxe

It's moving forward ...

Tag Apfelnico,

Was this a clean install or did you transfer an existing Sierra install to your new X299 and upgrade?

I can't get past +++++++++++++++++ on a clean install of HS DP7 to my 7900X / X299 Deluxe / Samsung 960 Evo.

Using mobo firmware 0031 (special hack by Raja) because my X299 Deluxe wont even POST using 0503 or 0702.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Dave

Tag Apfelnico,

Was this a clean install or did you transfer an existing Sierra install to your new X299 and upgrade?

I can't get past +++++++++++++++++ on a clean install of HS DP7 to my 7900X / X299 Deluxe / Samsung 960 Evo.

Using mobo firmware 0031 (special hack by Raja) because my X299 Deluxe wont even POST using 0503 or 0702.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Dave

Same for me, can't get over +++++++ using Sierra flash drive.

Have you tried putting the apfs. efi in drivers64UEFI?

I couldn't boot installer from USB either so used my MacBook to install a copy on to a clean SSD in a caddy then I used (the beast of which we must not speak) then cloverconfgurator with Surfchinas earlier EFI as a base... just had to change from Amd to nvidia graphics. First boot with nv_disable =1 then use nvidiafixup kext Once web drivers are installed.

Will attach a proper file later as I'm just on my phone but here's a drop box link to my booting EFI

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/nngfpp27t08jd1j/AAAFaYIFLcGGlAn3BVvQKdNTa?dl=0

• Like 1

One little reminder, because I haven't mentioned it on this thread:

Repair permissions. Every time you make a change, repair permissions.

I just had the boot fail sleeping for 10 seconds thing, booted from my backup disk (I CCC to it every week), I repaired permissions on the main boot drive and now it's fine.

Some utilities no longer work, the latest KCPM is fine with HS.

• Like 1

Have you tried putting the apfs. efi in drivers64UEFI?

Yes I did - just in case. Because I don't use APFS filesystem on my boot flash drive. Anyway, it didn't help.

I use your clover config(slightly modified). The difference is that I'm using GA X299 Aorus Gaming 3 mb and I tried to install 10.12 instead of 10.13 beta.

I'm going to wait for 10.13 to be released and then I'll get back here (hopefully with good news).

Well, got High Sierra working using this very setup:

1 x Gigabyte X299 AORUS Gaming 9 (rev. 1)

4 x (16GB) GSkill 64GB TridentZ 3600MHz RAM

1 x Intel i9-7900X CPU

2 x AMD Vega Frontier GPU's

1 x EVGA SuperNOVA 1600 T2 PSU

So now that I have this awesome setup, a few things I would like to know:

1) Only two (of the three) 28" 4K monitors work. When I called AMD's Tech Support staff, I was told to purchase (get this) their "approved" ACCELL - DisplayPort to HDMI adapter and 6' HDMI to DisplayPort cable to make the third monitor work. Well I did that and it still didn't work. Even when I called AMD their tech support is pretty much useless, they told me to Google stuff that they should know and they also told me that Apple is responsible for making the AMD drivers work. I'm really disappointed in their staff as they honestly don't care. Any thoughts to maybe getting these 3 x 28" 4K monitors to work side-by-side-by-side?

2) Only 4 USB ports are working. Not a big deal as I only use two (keyboard and mouse) and the other two are open to use a mic and one for occasional USB stick transfers. Any thoughts on how to fix that so ALL USB ports work on that mobo?

3) Got it up the 4.5 GHz. I will be picking up a delidder from the only company here in the U.S. - https://rockitcool.myshopify.com/products/rockit-99-delid-and-relid-kit-for-skylakex-kabylakex?variant=42267606605. I know the owner and will get one made for me this coming Wednesday. Should drop my temps 20˚+ C. That will be nice. Any thoughts on getting settings to my CPU to 5.0+?

4) I can see both my Vega cards on my settings, but my rendering scores are very similar to each other (really no difference). Any thoughts on how to enable both GPUs to work together?:

1 x Vega: Cinebench Score: OpenGL 128.90 FPS - 2,395 CB / Geekbench Score: 41,117

2 x Vega: Cinebench Score: OpenGL 130.41 FPS - 2,412 CB / Geekbench Score: 41,438

Found this vid link, not very encouraging to see that AMD is not going to be focusing on crossfire.

https://youtu.be/nBudzepqFg0

• Like 3

1 x Intel i9-7900X CPU

1) Only two (of the three) 28" 4K monitors work. When I called AMD's Tech Support staff, I was told to purchase (get this) their "approved" ACCELL - DisplayPort to HDMI adapter and 6' HDMI to DisplayPort cable to make the third monitor work. Well I did that and it still didn't work. Even when I called AMD their tech support is pretty much useless, they told me to Google stuff that they should know and they also told me that Apple is responsible for making the AMD drivers work. I'm really disappointed in their staff as they honestly don't care. Any thoughts to maybe getting these 3 x 28" 4K monitors to work side-by-side-by-side?

2) Only 4 USB ports are working. Not a big deal as I only use two (keyboard and mouse) and the other two are open to use a mic and one for occasional USB stick transfers. Any thoughts on how to fix that so ALL USB ports work on that mobo?

3)  Got it up the 4.5 GHz. I will be picking up a delidder from the only company here in the U.S. - https://rockitcool.myshopify.com/products/rockit-99-delid-and-relid-kit-for-skylakex-kabylakex?variant=42267606605. I know the owner and will get one made for me this coming Wednesday. Should drop my temps 20˚+ C. That will be nice. Any thoughts on getting settings to my CPU to 5.0+?

4) I can see both my Vega cards on my settings, but my rendering scores are very similar to each other (really no difference). Any thoughts on how to enable both GPUs to work together?:

1 x Vega: Cinebench Score: OpenGL 128.90 FPS - 2,395 CB / Geekbench Score: 41,117

2 x Vega: Cinebench Score: OpenGL 130.41 FPS - 2,412 CB / Geekbench Score: 41,438

Do your 3 screens work just on one GPU?

2 screens just on one GPU?

Does one screen work on any of the ports?

Just wondering, I'm poor and can only afford 1 GPU haha. Anyway, my software only uses CPU, I got the vega only to make hacking easy.

Later I'll take some screenshots of my overclock settings. I got 4.8 un-delidded, in a very cool way. So cool I can't even remember what I did!

I love the look of that de-lidder, pity you're not in NZ, I'd borrow it :P

• Like 1

1 x Intel i9-7900X CPU

1) Only two (of the three) 28" 4K monitors work. When I called AMD's Tech Support staff, I was told to purchase (get this) their "approved" ACCELL - DisplayPort to HDMI adapter and 6' HDMI to DisplayPort cable to make the third monitor work. Well I did that and it still didn't work. Even when I called AMD their tech support is pretty much useless, they told me to Google stuff that they should know and they also told me that Apple is responsible for making the AMD drivers work. I'm really disappointed in their staff as they honestly don't care. Any thoughts to maybe getting these 3 x 28" 4K monitors to work side-by-side-by-side?

3) Got it up the 4.5 GHz. I will be picking up a delidder from the only company here in the U.S. - https://rockitcool.myshopify.com/products/rockit-99-delid-and-relid-kit-for-skylakex-kabylakex?variant=42267606605. I know the owner and will get one made for me this coming Wednesday. Should drop my temps 20˚+ C. That will be nice. Any thoughts on getting settings to my CPU to 5.0+?

2 x Vega: Cinebench Score: OpenGL 130.41 FPS - 2,412 CB / Geekbench Score: 41,438

Found this vid link, not very encouraging to see that AMD is not going to be focusing on crossfire.

Very nice setup, did you try dual link =1 in clover configurator graphics settings?

Do your 3 screens work just on one GPU?

2 screens just on one GPU?

Does one screen work on any of the ports?

Just wondering, I'm poor and can only afford 1 GPU haha. Anyway, my software only uses CPU, I got the vega only to make hacking easy.

Later I'll take some screenshots of my overclock settings. I got 4.8 un-delidded, in a very cool way. So cool I can't even remember what I did!

I love the look of that de-lidder, pity you're not in NZ, I'd borrow it :P

All three monitors use display port connectors and I am putting all three of them into that one GPU. I think the other one that I'm using that I'm hoping crossfire will enable is useless since the second GPU is having no effect. But that's not the main point. The main point is that only two monitors are allowed to work not three. There is no other solution unless somebody hard codes something, that's the only possible option but I don't know how to do any of that. If you know how to do that or somebody else does and they can help out that would be great, thank you.

1 x Intel i9-7900X CPU

I did a guide to get you up to 5.0Ghz :)

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/327056-guide-how-to-overclock-your-skylake-x/

So i haven't made any progress on the power management but i was able to finally get my Alpine ridge thunderbolt card running.... took a clean install of windows and a lot of turning things on in th right way to get it to show up so i could update firmware... but once that happened it worked first time in Sierra... Winn... I now have my UA apollo back.. woo.

So back to power management.... 

Ive Followed Surfchinas over clocking guide (well i added the relevant stuff in my BIOS)... and it didnt seem to make much differnce.

Im still hovering around the 20k mark with Geek bench. Ive tried a whol bunch of stuff but it never gets anywhere near my score in windows... which seems about right.

Im sure its something stupid im doing or not doing... as this is my first non standard hackintosh ive never had to deal with power management so i dont really know where to look.

Ive attached a bunch of stuff including Various tests with different stuff on and off.

Any help is very much appreciated.

post-2230685-0-98878200-1505225824_thumb.png

post-2230685-0-53437200-1505225834_thumb.png

post-2230685-0-57585400-1505225842_thumb.png

post-2230685-0-56278000-1505225929_thumb.jpg

post-2230685-0-70180700-1505225953_thumb.jpg

post-2230685-0-32330300-1505225980_thumb.jpg

post-2230685-0-38539700-1505225991_thumb.png

post-2230685-0-94870600-1505225998_thumb.png

post-2230685-0-78651600-1505226371_thumb.png

post-2230685-0-90359200-1505226384_thumb.png

in my rig I have in windows 3165 and in osx 2940

from cinebench test it seems you have a very poor performance in multiprocessing (and from your ipg graph in higher frequency clock is not stable @max values 

Nullcpu i think it is not usefull at all for new Osx and cpu

What about clover ACPI folder could there be the original default dsdtaml files causing low performance?

Took nullcpupowermanagement.kext out... similar results... i think it was in Surfchinas EFI which i used as a base

Ive attached a cinebench too... which looks a bit better... but im getting 2500 on Windows. so still something up

Sorry about that, I took the  nullcpupowermanagement.kext out ages ago and only just updated that EFI in the thread.

I agree with gigamax and fabio, your cores aren't maxed out.

It's possible your bios needs work, I got that kind of frequency signature and performance when I disabled speedstep. You can also try to set the turbo for each core at your max overclock.

After you've removed all your SSDT and DSDT (if any) from patched, remember to hit F4 at the clover boot screen to update the origin folder.

• Like 1

Very nice setup, did you try dual link =1 in clover configurator graphics settings?

So far so good. I had my programming friend (Chris) help me with installing that "dual link=1" in Clover and I don't know if it worked, but I unplugged my my DisplayPort from the third port (away from my HDMI port) on my GPU (closest to the CPU) and just plugged it in the second GPU (closest to my HDMI port) and... it worked. I was just about to return the second AMD card and now that it is working that is great. Again, so far so good. My scores haven't changed and are still at 40,000 and that's good. Now we have to work on my USB ports (as I only have 4 working and not all 8 of them). So we'll see what happens with that. So I'm encouraged that things are moving forward. I'll keep you posted to letting you know how things progress when we OC this machine. I'm going to go get my new delidder to delid my 7900X CPU here soon.

Lastly, I just updated the BIOS to F6 (08-22-17) and it fixed the XMP RAM issue. So although my RAM is showing that it's still at 2133MHz (on Mac OS X), in the BIOS it's showing it's full 3600MHz. So I know it's working. I will be posting updated photos on this updated build here soon and also be doing a video here as well. If anyone has any thoughts or input on the USB issue let me know, thanks. Later... 

By the way, any reason why my M.2 Samsung 960 Pro isn't able to be formatted (as it's on the board closest to the CPU)? I can't erase it or even partition it? Is there something that I need to enable or disable in the BIOS. Any input? Agian, thanks...

• Like 1

By the way, any reason why my M.2 Samsung 960 Pro isn't able to be formatted (as it's on the board closest to the CPU)? I can't erase it or even partition it? Is there something that I need to enable or disable in the BIOS. Any input?

Yes, any help with this would be greatly appreciated.  We would like to be able to partition it with APFS if possible, but just getting any type of partition on it would be nice at this point.  We are currently getting the media not enough space error.  In the past I have solved this issue, but no luck on this one.  :blush:  If it were in my possession I would simply slap it in another rig and partition it or even Carbon Copy the SSD to it.  :unsure:

Yes, any help with this would be greatly appreciated.  We would like to be able to partition it with APFS if possible, but just getting any type of partition on it would be nice at this point.  We are currently getting the media not enough space error.  In the past I have solved this issue, but no luck on this one.  :blush:  If it were in my possession I would simply slap it in another rig and partition it or even Carbon Copy the SSD to it.  :unsure:

Is it recognised in windows?

Can you see it in the Mac terminal?

My 960 evo is in the same slot and was plug and play, so I don't think you need anything in bios.

The disk utility has it's limitations and I often have to resort to full wipe and format in terminal. A couple of times I've had to go to windows and format with a decent partition software.

Hope this helps.

• Like 1

I think I read somewhere that using dual graphics slots may effect the other available pcie lanes and specifically one of the nvme slots. I'm not certain as I don't have a x299 setup but I was reading about the x399 threadripper and pcie lane comparisons.

I think I read somewhere that using dual graphics slots may effect the other available pcie lanes and specifically one of the nvme slots. I'm not certain as I don't have a x299 setup but I was reading about the x399 threadripper and pcie lane comparisons.

I would agree, but this was happening even when I only had one GPU on the board before putting on the other one. I'm going to install windows and try to erase and partition it. What good Windows app would make this happen?

On a side note,, I did use "Valley" (another rendering app) to test both cards (beyond using Cinebench and Geekbench), and looking at the Tach GPU (next to the power connectors) on the GPU, only one card was working. So it's becoming more evident that AMD is not moving forward with using Crossfire. If they did, this would be a rendering powerhouse of a Hackintosh. Hope they explore this down the road to make this happen.

I would agree, but this was happening even when I only had one GPU on the board before putting on the other one. I'm going to install windows and try to erase and partition it. What good Windows app would make this happen?

On a side note,, I did use "Valley" (another rendering app) to test both cards (beyond using Cinebench and Geekbench), and looking at the Tach GPU (next to the power connectors) on the GPU, only one card was working. So it's becoming more evident that AMD is not moving forward with using Crossfire. If they did, this would be a rendering powerhouse of a Hackintosh. Hope they explore this down the road to make this happen.

I used Aomei Partition assistant.

When I had 2 GPU the only rendering benchmark that used them together was Luxmark.

post-1564334-0-14546700-1505350040_thumb.png