[GUIDE] Dell XPS 15 (9550) Mojave 10.14 / 10.15 Quick Installation

Krim404

1,806 posts in this topic

Hi, for everyone who have a problem with Thunderbolt 3/USB 3.1 Type C port and its hotplug function I have working solution created by dpassmor. Luckily I managed to apply his patch with ssdt to mine config.plist before entire thread has been deleted.

Add the following to ACPI/DSDT/Patches:

<dict>
<key>Comment</key>
<string>rename _RMV to XRMV</string>                                        
<key>Disabled</key>
<false/>
<key>Find</key>
<data>
X1JNVg==
</data>
<key>Replace</key>
<data>
WFJNVg==
</data>
</dict>

Then under ACPI/DropTables add following:

<dict>
<key>Signature</key>
<string>SSDT</string>
<key>TableId</key>
<string>xh_rvp10</string>
</dict>

And it’s last adjustment to the config.plist. You need to add this under KernelAndKextPatches/KextsToPatch:

<dict>
<key>Comment</key>
<string>10.12.2 fudge USB 3.1 device ID</string>
<key>Disabled</key>
<false/>
<key>Find</key>
<string>30783135623638303836</string>
<key>InfoPlistPatch</key>
<true/>
<key>Name</key>
<string>AppleUSBXHCIPCI</string>
<key>Replace</key>
<string>30783135623538303836</string>
</dict>

The last step it is to compile SSDT-TB and add it to your ACPI/Patched folder, then reboot.

Now I can confirm that my HooToo thunderbolt3 to hdmi, usb and microsd card reader adapter works fine thanks for dpassmor.

Hey guys,

Thank you so much for this. I am a pretty big Hackintosh n00b but managed to get 10.12.3 running on my Alienware 13 R3 with pretty much everything working, thanks to Reddit and a lot of help from people much more knowledgable than me. 

I followed your steps, generated the file and added everything to my config.plist. Laptop still boots fine, but my P2715Q is still nog recognised under Display. I am using a TB3/USB3 Adapter with DisplayPort Out to my monitor. 

Is there anything at all I can look at, check and/or upload for you guys to have a look at?

Cheers :)

A little update: was on 13,3 and switched to SMBIOS 9,1 and screen is recognised. Funny thing is screen stayed black, so I figured it must be resolution. Unfortunately, only mirroring works at my screen's native resolution (2560x1440). Is this a limitation of the Intel HD 530 and are there any workaround or alternative resolutions/ways to use the extra real estate of my second monitor?

Hey guys,

Thank you so much for this. I am a pretty big Hackintosh n00b but managed to get 10.12.3 running on my Alienware 13 R3 with pretty much everything working, thanks to Reddit and a lot of help from people much more knowledgable than me. 

I followed your steps, generated the file and added everything to my config.plist. Laptop still boots fine, but my P2715Q is still nog recognised under Display. I am using a TB3/USB3 Adapter with DisplayPort Out to my monitor. 

Is there anything at all I can look at, check and/or upload for you guys to have a look at?

Cheers :)

the supplied files are the fix i mentioned earlier. So no need to do it twice.

the display port is, as you mentioned correctly, not an USB device. It's a passive display port out cable. Most of them are poorly made and dont work even within windows.

a TB-USBC => DP adaptor doesnt require any patch, as long as it's compatible

A little update: was on 13,3 and switched to SMBIOS 9,1 and screen is recognised. Funny thing is screen stayed black, so I figured it must be resolution. Unfortunately, only mirroring works at my screen's native resolution (2560x1440). Is this a limitation of the Intel HD 530 and are there any workaround or alternative resolutions/ways to use the extra real estate of my second monitor?

did you really plug it on a DP or did you use HDMI? This issue is only known for HDMI devices and can be easily fixed by modifying a certain plist.

• Like 1

the supplied files are the fix i mentioned earlier. So no need to do it twice.

the display port is, as you mentioned correctly, not an USB device. It's a passive display port out cable. Most of them are poorly made and dont work even within windows.

a TB-USBC => DP adaptor doesnt require any patch, as long as it's compatible

did you really plug it on a DP or did you use HDMI? This issue is only known for HDMI devices and can be easily fixed by modifying a certain plist.

Yep, using DP for sure, works perfectly in Windows 10. Like I said, it works now, must have been switching to 9,1 then :-). Any way to make native DP work? Just out of curiosity. Like I said, I am a big noob :)

Yep, using DP for sure, works perfectly in Windows 10. Like I said, it works now, must have been switching to 9,1 then :-). Any way to make native DP work? Just out of curiosity. Like I said, I am a big noob :)

You can try switch the smbios to 13,2. I'm using it currently and HDMI and all of the display outputs (vga, mini dp & hdmi) at the Dell USB type C dock works, however if you connect more than a one monitor to the thunderbolt port/usb c only mirroring options is available and they are detected at the system information as one single monitor. 

post-1631985-0-78278400-1489604483_thumb.png

I can confirm that you will be able to connect Dell 2715 via HDMI port build in the laptop at 4k resolution but only with 30hz refresh rate. I still can get to work the minidp build in the dell dock unfortunately. 

I've attached clover folder to the post.

CLOVER.zip

Cheers man, much appreciated! What's your laptop? :)

Edit: Nvm, prolly a Dell XPS 15 yeah? Haha... I have the AW 13 R3 by Dell :-). Worth a shot though!

Yeah, exactly dell xps 15 9550 i7 6700hq GTX960m M.2 ssd samsung Polaris 961 500gb 16gb ram ddr4 4k display screen.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

• Like 1

One last question: I can also go up to 4K 30Hz on my P2715Q, but a lot of 'lo-res' resolutions are missing. For example, I would lprefer to run the lower QHD but at 60Hz, but it's not there. Is there a way to add custom resolutions in Sierra?

If only we had Pascal support haha...

One last question: I can also go up to 4K 30Hz on my P2715Q, but a lot of 'lo-res' resolutions are missing. For example, I would lprefer to run the lower QHD but at 60Hz, but it's not there. Is there a way to add custom resolutions in Sierra?

If only we had Pascal support haha...

yes it's possible but has nothing to do with the XPS15 and can be easily answered by using google.

Sorry, you are right. Kinda drifting off here, but I honestly couldn't find anything specific for Sierra via Google...

There you go -> SwitchResX. I believe that @wmchris attached this link somewhere at the first page of this topic. From now on let's just stick to the question about Dell XPS.

I have now finally updated clover so that I can run MacOS 10.12.3 with a MacBook Pro 13,2 SMBIOS.

I'm still having an issue where every few times I boot, there is no audio and the speaker is grayed out in the status bar. Does anyone know how to fix this? It's minority annoying because I need sound and whenever the system boots with no audio, the screen flashes every time I get a notification, even though I have that feature turned off.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Edit:

I used Kext Wizard to repair permissions and rebuild cache, which appears to have fixed my issue with the F2-F4 keys not changing volume. However, I'm still getting a grayed-out sound icon in the status bar after following several other people with the same problem. Should I just reinstall the audio kext from the GitHub repo?

Turning off the card reader as well as the camera in the BIOS has actually increased my battery life far more than I expected.

Finally everything working on my laptop perfect with full working HDMI/audio, BIOS 1.2.19, MacOS 10.12.3 with a MacBook Pro 13,3 SMBIOS. :)  :)  :) 

Thanks to everybody for guidance and useful information   :)  :thumbsup_anim: 

I just try to fabricate Method for reading System Fan Revolution, but need TACH parameter from EC, which is not in original DSDT/SSDT. 

Trying to inserting this parameter into my SSDT, without any result (parameter can not find - system answer). :( 

Can somebody help or give some additional information for complete this issue?

Also I have one question:

What different between using HackrNVMeFamily-10_12_1_spoof.kext and patching system NVME.kext?

and with both ways NVME SMART reporting is not working, can I fix it?

SSDT3a.aml.zip

First of all, thanks wmchris and all people here for creating this incredible helpful topic.

I've setup my XPS15 9550 4K using this guide a few months ago and it saved me a lot of time.

Now I've replaced my old monitor by a 4K monitor (LG UHD 27UD58) and noticed that the max HiDPI resolution I could get was 1920 x 1080 (which I is too big for a 27" monitor). I was expecting to have an option for 2560 x 1440 (HiDPI) and it simply wasn't there (I could have it in low resolution, but fonts look terrible).

I've tried SwitchResX and similar solutions, but they didn't work on Sierra (to add a custom HiDPI 2560 x 1440, I would have to add a second entry doubling this resolution, which is not accepted by Sierra).

When testing my monitor with the latest Macbook Pro 13" (cheapest less expensive model), I've noticed that the HiDPI resolution was there. I could set my display to 2560 x 1440 without issues. I guess the main difference is that it's running under the Iris Graphics 540 and mine is HD 530.

So I came across this thread:
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/thinkcentre-m800-and-4k-display-port-issue.217210/

Where the guy have switched the ig-platform-id from 0x19120000 to 0x19260002.

I decided to try the same hack and it worked so far... replacing the ig-platform-id by the Iris Graphics 540, have enabled all the HiDPI resolutions for my laptop (in my case I've used: 0x19260004 as it was easier to fix the wake up issue - someone have done it already).

I just had to fix the sleep issue (black screen after sleeping):
http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/317993-fix-enable-lid-wake-from-sleep-for-skylake-iris-graphics/

It's still too early to say if it will cause any issue as I've been using this hack for a day only.

Sorry by the long post, hopefully this will help some one with the same issue.

• Like 1

Where the guy have switched the ig-platform-id from 0x19120000 to 0x19260002.

I decided to try the same hack and it worked so far... replacing the ig-platform-id by the Iris Graphics 540, have enabled all the HiDPI resolutions for my laptop (in my case I've used: 0x19260004 as it was easier to fix the wake up issue - someone have done it already).

both GPUs use the same driver, but i'm not sure if its really a good idea to make the system believe it has a faster GPU than available. Please report back after a few days (and please do some stress testing) - if this works fine i'll update the repository and add your changes :-)

you can change smbios after installation, so as long as it boots up, everything is fine. Please share your experience how you got it booting.

I just used the setup of older sierra build 1a* . It installed and booted without any problems. The only problem i had during installation was the setup refused to recognize the enter key but space bar worked as substitute. I was having problems with windows 10 drivers so i just installed macos on a drive with multiboot and left it to try later. Will join you guys later on this.

both GPUs use the same driver, but i'm not sure if its really a good idea to make the system believe it has a faster GPU than available. Please report back after a few days (and please do some stress testing) - if this works fine i'll update the repository and add your changes :-)

It's running stable for a few days now (using ig-platform-id = 0x19260004) - I haven't rebooted my computer since my last post (19 Mar 2017 - 6:29 PM).

I don't use any application that uses graphics intensely (no games or video editing). I pretty much use IDE's for software development and photo related tools: Capture One and Adobe Lightroom.

I don't know any tool that I could use for doing some stress testing. 

External display is connected through an usb-c to display port adaptor. I could also ran HDMI 4K 60hz, but only through an adapter (usb-c to HDMI adapter). The HDMI port didn't support 4K 60hz in my case.

post-334613-0-27017700-1490181423_thumb.png

post-334613-0-85497100-1490181434_thumb.png

post-334613-0-77736100-1490181458_thumb.png

Tutorial Update: NVMe corruption fix

After 2 weeks of usage i'm pretty sure the 4k sector patch fixes the NVMe corruption. I've used my dell with enabled darkwake and sleep 3 and everything works fine. So i changed the tutorial and added a tiny tutorial how to switch to 4k sector mode. Of course this does not work with every SSD - especially not with many Samsung models.

https://github.com/wmchris/DellXPS15-9550-OSX/blob/master/4k_sector.md

Be aware: this will delete all your data!

I left the pmset hibernatemode mention in the tutorial, just to make sure. I also suggest using hibernatemode 0 either way, because the other hibernatemodes are not working at the moment.

• Like 2

After 2 weeks of usage i'm pretty sure the 4k sector patch fixes the NVMe corruption. I've used my dell with enabled darkwake and sleep 3 and everything works fine. So i changed the tutorial and added a tiny tutorial how to switch to 4k sector mode. Of course this does not work with every SSD - especially not with many Samsung models.

@wmchris do you think that's safe to assume that this won't work with the the original samsung (PM951 NVMe SAMSUNG 512GB)? 

Sorry, just being lazy, I should have an Ubuntu Live USB and check this myself... thanks!

@wmchris do you think that's safe to assume that this won't work with the the original samsung (PMty951 NVMe SAMSUNG 512GB)? 

Sorry, just being lazy, I should have an Ubuntu Live USB and check this myself... thanks!

I tried with both the Hynix PC300 and Samsung SM951 and received this error message (/dev/nvme0: Unable to detect device type) from "sudo smartctl -a /dev/nvme0"

Pretty sure this means that it will not work

I tried with both the Hynix PC300 and Samsung SM951 and received this error message (/dev/nvme0: Unable to detect device type) from "sudo smartctl -a /dev/nvme0"

Pretty sure this means that it will not work

nope. you're just using a different linux version and your SSD has another device path (for ex /dev/sda0).

@wmchris do you think that's safe to assume that this won't work with the the original samsung (PM951 NVMe SAMSUNG 512GB)? 

dont own this device, so i cant tell.

Hey there, Ive been really stupid and gone and updated the MacOS without backing anything up - thinking I could just reinstall if worse came to worse but worse has came to worse. 

Any help would be appreciated. Whenever I boot out of clover now, I see the following (attached):

Might be a simple fix I am overlooking,

Thank you in advance for any help!

IMG_20170324_131018.jpg

Kind Regards

Matt

Hey there, Ive been really stupid and gone and updated the MacOS without backing anything up - thinking I could just reinstall if worse came to worse but worse has came to worse. 

Any help would be appreciated. Whenever I boot out of clover now, I see the following (attached):

Might be a simple fix I am overlooking,

Thank you in advance for any help!

Kind Regards

Matt

non spoofed hackr driver + vanilla nvme driver = kernel panic.

• Like 1

A big step for 4K display and no need 4k patch anymore.

1.Restore your vanilla CoreDisplay.

2.Place the Lilu.kext and CoreDisplayFixup.kext to Clover/Kext/Others or L/E or S/L/E.

Lilu.kext.zip

CoreDisplayFixup.kext.zip

3.Run this command in terminal

sudo update_dyld_shared_cache -force

Then you can reboot you macOS and will find it boot fine without 4k patch anymore.

PS:

This kext doesn't work in RecoveryHD.

The binary upped is prerelease software and is still under the development.

Credits:

Apple for macOS.

vit9696 for writing the Lilu.kext and the idea for patch framework.

PMHeart for writing the CoreDisplayFixup.kext to solve the 4k display limit on none iris pro card.

• Like 5

Hello guys!

Thank you so much for this cool guide!

I have installed 10.12.3 from beginning. Everything is very smooth, except touchpad. Tap to click feature is not working, two fingers gesture is kind of glitchy. 

Is it possible to fix it? I think that I have not deleted Apple Default Drivers, because when I executed these line:

sudo mv /System/Library/Extensions/AppleACPIPS2Nub.kext /System/Library/Extensions/AppleACPIPS2Nub.bak
sudo mv /System/Library/Extensions/ApplePS2Controller.kext /System/Library/Extensions/ApplePS2Controller.bak

I have these errors:

mv: rename /System/Library/Extensions/AppleACPIPS2Nub.kext to /System/Library/Extensions/AppleACPIPS2Nub.bak: No such file or directory

mv: rename /System/Library/Extensions/ApplePS2Controller.kext to /System/Library/Extensions/ApplePS2Controller.bak: No such file or directory

Could you help me please?  Maybe, in 10.12.3 these files were renamed or moved somewhere?

EDIT:

​After copying kexts to S/L/E and some reboots, click on tap started working! Thank you!