Clover General discussion

ErmaC
29,866 posts in this topic

I hope you guys then will find a way to circumvent that upcoming apfs enforcement. Maybe that statement in e video was made before they knew high sierra force-converts ssds to apfs, and that actually was meant? Apfs makes no sense at all on spinning hdds, and there are still a lot of these... Or do you think then a ssd is required, too?

I hope you guys then will find a way to circumvent that upcoming apfs enforcement. Maybe that statement in e video was made before they knew high sierra force-converts ssds to apfs, and that actually was meant? Apfs makes no sense at all on spinning hdds, and there are still a lot of these... Or do you think then a ssd is required, too?

I don't know it's hard to say, or if that's even desirable. It may also be the case that APFS is currently in like a debug build phase and not optimized fully and could end up being faster. It's not like all your drives/volumes need to be formatted APFS and realistically who has just an HDD though? For those that don't, this may just cause them to finally upgrade to an SSD. As for the SSD requirement, all macs that can be supported by High Sierra have at least a partial SSD in a fusion drive, if not just an SSD. So it makes sense in Apple's perspective, they aren't making plans based on anything but the hardware they want to explicitly support.

EDIT: I think APFS is more of an answer to Apple wanting to use SSDs to cache much larger HDDs and designing a system around this sort of drive cache sharing.

I have the famous "OSInstall.mpkg appears to be missing or damaged"

Background:

Before I had installed macOS 10.13.1 that ran without a problem, without weird errors. So I decided to make a clean install of 10.13.2, I downloaded the latest macOS using AppStore (at first it downloaded like 19 MB after that I started the installation and when it downloaded all the files right before reboot I quit the installer and I did make a new folder inside the OS X Installer called SharedSupport where I copied the downloaded files by the Installer)

then I made the USB using createinstallmedia then installed the latest Clover, put my kexts and config.plist in place and rebooted. I erased the SSD using Disk Utility, then I selected the disk to install macOS. It took 30 seconds the installation (strange I know) and after reboot I booted from SSD and I get that error regarding "OSInstall.mpkg appears to be missing or damaged"

I tried:

- Clear NVRAM using Clover,

- Update all kexts to the latest version

- Check USB for errors

I think that the 19 MB installer and the copied frankenstein thing ****** up the installer.

This situation can be Clover related ?

I have the famous "OSInstall.mpkg appears to be missing or damaged"

Background:

Before I had installed macOS 10.13.1 that ran without a problem, without weird errors. So I decided to make a clean install of 10.13.2, I downloaded the latest macOS using AppStore (at first it downloaded like 19 MB after that I started the installation and when it downloaded all the files right before reboot I quit the installer and I did make a new folder inside the OS X Installer called SharedSupport where I copied the downloaded files by the Installer)

then I made the USB using createinstallmedia then installed the latest Clover, put my kexts and config.plist in place and rebooted. I erased the SSD using Disk Utility, then I selected the disk to install macOS. It took 30 seconds the installation (strange I know) and after reboot I booted from SSD and I get that error regarding "OSInstall.mpkg appears to be missing or damaged"

I tried:

- Clear NVRAM using Clover,

- Update all kexts to the latest version

- Check USB for errors

I think that the 19 MB installer and the copied frankenstein thing ****** up the installer.

This situation can be Clover related ?

One question... Why wouldn't you just run the upgrade application?? I have gotten this problem in two different ways and it is because you started the installer app while it was downloading. It now downloads a small stub installer first because it thinks you're going to upgrade, then downloads the installer. You need to like double click the the download button again to get it to download the whole installer and not that weird stub app. There's no way to get an installer working again without macOS. Although, I'm not sure if it still works but there is cvad's tool for windows too. You'd still need the installer dmg though. You best bet is to find either a friend with macOS and remake the installer, try to get a virtual machine to make it, or check to make sure that your problem isn't /macOS Install Data/OSInstallAttr.plist.

One question... Why wouldn't you just run the upgrade application?? I have gotten this problem in two different ways and it is because you started the installer app while it was downloading. It now downloads a small stub installer first because it thinks you're going to upgrade, then downloads the installer. You need to like double click the the download button again to get it to download the whole installer and not that weird stub app. There's no way to get an installer working again without macOS. Although, I'm not sure if it still works but there is cvad's tool for windows too. You'd still need the installer dmg though. You best bet is to find either a friend with macOS and remake the installer, try to get a virtual machine to make it, or check to make sure that your problem isn't /macOS Install Data/OSInstallAttr.plist.

Ok, I will try the virtual machine way. You said that: "You need to like double click the the download button again to get it to download the whole installer and not that weird stub app." that means I have to click twice on the download button ? Isn't a little bit weird ? I will also check the OSInstallAttr.plist.

Thanks

Ok, I will try the virtual machine way. You said that: "You need to like double click the the download button again to get it to download the whole installer and not that weird stub app." that means I have to click twice on the download button ? Isn't a little bit weird ? I will also check the OSInstallAttr.plist.

Thanks

Oh no not literally. The first time you download the app, as in it is not installed yet, it does not do a complete download anymore. You have to download the app, then click the little button to redownload the app from the app store in order for it to download the entire installer. Or if you wait long enough it will eventually download the full installer but it's meant as an upgrade now so it downloads the install data when you start the installer.

From my experience, I got "OSInstall.mpkg appears to be missing or damaged" message when I have improper / outdated FirmwareFeatures value on my config during setup. What I need to do is: to set a new value (or maybe you can leave it unset to let Clover set the recent default value for you), do as this man said, and start setup again.

• Like 1

Oh no not literally. The first time you download the app, as in it is not installed yet, it does not do a complete download anymore. You have to download the app, then click the little button to redownload the app from the app store in order for it to download the entire installer. Or if you wait long enough it will eventually download the full installer but it's meant as an upgrade now so it downloads the install data when you start the installer.

From my experience, I got "OSInstall.mpkg appears to be missing or damaged" message when I have improper / outdated FirmwareFeatures value on my config during setup. What I need to do is: to set a new value (or maybe you can leave it unset to let Clover set the recent default value for you), do as this man said, and start setup again.

The thing is that at first that's what I did, I deleted almost all SMBIOS data to let Clover inject them but still nothing. I solved the problem eventually. That download button (now I know what you mean) doesn't appeared in the VM because VMware is using other bootROM version that I can't change with hacks and stuff. So, I downloaded macOS 10.13.1 from other source than the AppStore, put that in the Applications folder, used createinstallmedia, installed clover and now it's running without a hitch!

I am really scared to upgrade to 10.13.2. I will make some backups and see what's the deal.

Guys, did you see this? That's what I call The solution: just delete what is not needed! :hysterical:

Yeah, that's what I would have done in the first place but I thought they were trying to have some sort of c89 support. Apparently, they just have bad coders..... lol.

The thing is that at first that's what I did, I deleted almost all SMBIOS data to let Clover inject them but still nothing. I solved the problem eventually. That download button (now I know what you mean) doesn't appeared in the VM because VMware is using other bootROM version that I can't change with hacks and stuff. So, I downloaded macOS 10.13.1 from other source than the AppStore, put that in the Applications folder, used createinstallmedia, installed clover and now it's running without a hitch!

I am really scared to upgrade to 10.13.2. I will make some backups and see what's the deal.

It should appear, but I forgot, I think you may have to hold down control or option or shift when you click in order to get the option to redownload.

With latest v4359 build, I get all useless entries in Clover boot screen. All 5 of my hard drives show up as selectable entries and all have Windows logo on them. As it is macOS has already added prebooter & filevault garbage entries.

I only need Windows and macOS (2 icons). How to remove the not needed icons?

Just so you guys see it. Check this out.

With latest v4359 build, I get all useless entries in Clover boot screen. All 5 of my hard drives show up as selectable entries and all have Windows logo on them. As it is macOS has already added prebooter & filevault garbage entries.

I only need Windows and macOS (2 icons). How to remove the not needed icons?

Did you convert to APFS? You need to manually hide the entries, look in your log and hide those extra volumes.

• Like 1

Hi again,

I have a strange error in HS, as soon as a video player in browser will appear:

Ausnahmename: NSInternalInconsistencyException
Beschreibung: Invalid parameter not satisfying: outputContext
Benutzerinformationen: (null)

0   CoreFoundation                      0x00007fff3ef0f00b __exceptionPreprocess + 171
1   libobjc.A.dylib                     0x00007fff65aedc76 objc_exception_throw + 48
2   CoreFoundation                      0x00007fff3ef14da2 +[NSException raise:format:arguments:] + 98
3   Foundation                          0x00007fff41021260 -[NSAssertionHandler handleFailureInMethod:object:file:lineNumber:description:] + 193
4   AVKit                               0x00007fff3b3325d8 -[AVOutputContextController initWithOutputContext:] + 472
5   AVKit                               0x00007fff3b3b45eb -[AVOutputDeviceMenuController initWithOutputContext:] + 113
6   WebCore                             0x00007fff4cb92139 _ZN7WebCore28MediaPlaybackTargetPickerMac12devicePickerEv + 121
7   WebCore                             0x00007fff4d14359f _ZN7WebCore22WebMediaSessionManager14taskTimerFiredEv + 63
8   JavaScriptCore                      0x00007fff4296af43 _ZN3WTF7RunLoop9TimerBase10timerFiredEP16__CFRunLoopTimerPv + 35
9   CoreFoundation                      0x00007fff3ee92bb4 __CFRUNLOOP_IS_CALLING_OUT_TO_A_TIMER_CALLBACK_FUNCTION__ + 20
10  CoreFoundation                      0x00007fff3ee92827 __CFRunLoopDoTimer + 1095
11  CoreFoundation                      0x00007fff3ee9232a __CFRunLoopDoTimers + 346
12  CoreFoundation                      0x00007fff3ee8992b __CFRunLoopRun + 2427
13  CoreFoundation                      0x00007fff3ee88d23 CFRunLoopRunSpecific + 483
14  HIToolbox                           0x00007fff3e1a0e26 RunCurrentEventLoopInMode + 286
15  HIToolbox                           0x00007fff3e1a0b96 ReceiveNextEventCommon + 613
16  HIToolbox                           0x00007fff3e1a0914 _BlockUntilNextEventMatchingListInModeWithFilter + 64
17  AppKit                              0x00007fff3c46bf5f _DPSNextEvent + 2085
18  AppKit                              0x00007fff3cc01b4c -[NSApplication(NSEvent) _nextEventMatchingEventMask:untilDate:inMode:dequeue:] + 3044
19  Safari                              0x00007fff5e4ce008 -[BrowserApplication nextEventMatchingMask:untilDate:inMode:dequeue:] + 273
20  AppKit                              0x00007fff3c460d6d -[NSApplication run] + 764
21  AppKit                              0x00007fff3c42ff1a NSApplicationMain + 804
22  libdyld.dylib                       0x00007fff666de114 start + 0

It won't come again , if I ignore it. Also the system starts to stutter after some time, becomes slower and slower. this is really strange, because I use the identical config as for Sierra. nvidia 1050gtx.  Any spontaneous ideas?

Hi again,

I have a strange error in HS, as soon as a video player in browser will appear:

Ausnahmename: NSInternalInconsistencyException
Beschreibung: Invalid parameter not satisfying: outputContext
Benutzerinformationen: (null)

0 CoreFoundation 0x00007fff3ef0f00b __exceptionPreprocess + 171
1 libobjc.A.dylib 0x00007fff65aedc76 objc_exception_throw + 48
2 CoreFoundation 0x00007fff3ef14da2 +[NSException raise:format:arguments:] + 98
3 Foundation 0x00007fff41021260 -[NSAssertionHandler handleFailureInMethod:object:file:lineNumber:description:] + 193
4 AVKit 0x00007fff3b3325d8 -[AVOutputContextController initWithOutputContext:] + 472
5 AVKit 0x00007fff3b3b45eb -[AVOutputDeviceMenuController initWithOutputContext:] + 113
6 WebCore 0x00007fff4cb92139 _ZN7WebCore28MediaPlaybackTargetPickerMac12devicePickerEv + 121
7 WebCore 0x00007fff4d14359f _ZN7WebCore22WebMediaSessionManager14taskTimerFiredEv + 63
8 JavaScriptCore 0x00007fff4296af43 _ZN3WTF7RunLoop9TimerBase10timerFiredEP16__CFRunLoopTimerPv + 35
9 CoreFoundation 0x00007fff3ee92bb4 __CFRUNLOOP_IS_CALLING_OUT_TO_A_TIMER_CALLBACK_FUNCTION__ + 20
10 CoreFoundation 0x00007fff3ee92827 __CFRunLoopDoTimer + 1095
11 CoreFoundation 0x00007fff3ee9232a __CFRunLoopDoTimers + 346
12 CoreFoundation 0x00007fff3ee8992b __CFRunLoopRun + 2427
13 CoreFoundation 0x00007fff3ee88d23 CFRunLoopRunSpecific + 483
14 HIToolbox 0x00007fff3e1a0e26 RunCurrentEventLoopInMode + 286
15 HIToolbox 0x00007fff3e1a0b96 ReceiveNextEventCommon + 613
16 HIToolbox 0x00007fff3e1a0914 _BlockUntilNextEventMatchingListInModeWithFilter + 64
17 AppKit 0x00007fff3c46bf5f _DPSNextEvent + 2085
18 AppKit 0x00007fff3cc01b4c -[NSApplication(NSEvent) _nextEventMatchingEventMask:untilDate:inMode:dequeue:] + 3044
19 Safari 0x00007fff5e4ce008 -[browserApplication nextEventMatchingMask:untilDate:inMode:dequeue:] + 273
20 AppKit 0x00007fff3c460d6d -[NSApplication run] + 764
21 AppKit 0x00007fff3c42ff1a NSApplicationMain + 804
22 libdyld.dylib 0x00007fff666de114 start + 0

It won't come again , if I ignore it. Also the system starts to stutter after some time, becomes slower and slower. this is really strange, because I use the identical config as for Sierra. nvidia 1050gtx.  Any spontaneous ideas?

Just googoled with your exception '-[AVOutputContextController initWithOutputContext:]'...but This aren't you,  with same problem as well in 10.12.6? How do you solve that, then later in Sierra?

Sorry but in google I found only two results with that exception, one is you, the other one is a possible solution at Apple's community here  ;) .

ps  Photo Booth App, apparently, but could be any that use AVOutputContextController. 99% same program. EDIT, is in AVFoundation, so can be anywhere..

• Like 1

Oh! Yes, it disappeared then later. Absolutely no clue, why.

btw. did you read this:

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2018/01/02/intel_cpu_design_flaw/

https://www.extremetech.com/computing/261364-massive-intel-cpu-bug-leaves-kernel-vulnerable-reduce-performance

Seems that 10.13.2 has already a patch against it inside. Which would mean a 15% performance decrease on intel CPU older than haswell. CPUs having the feature PCID...  Damn, I think I will revert back to Sierra 10.12.6.

Oh! Yes, it disappeared then later. Absolutely no clue, why.

btw. did you read this:

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2018/01/02/intel_cpu_design_flaw/

https://www.extremetech.com/computing/261364-massive-intel-cpu-bug-leaves-kernel-vulnerable-reduce-performance

Seems that 10.13.2 has already a patch against it inside. Which would mean a 15% performance decrease on intel CPU older than haswell. CPUs having the feature PCID...  Damn, I think I will revert back to Sierra 10.12.6.

I read today on other sites. it seems to be so

Hm, what could cause "micro stutters" or mouse freezes?  Wrong HPET timers? Currently uses interrupt numbers 02, 08, 0b, 0c on a core i7 haswell. I guess it's then related to gfx? PEG0 uses 10 and 07... Or maybe harddisk access related?

How could I find out the cause for this, any idea?