• Please log in to reply
6487 replies to this topic

magnifico

magnifico

Retired

• Donators
  • 2,559 posts
kynnder :wink2:
What is there to understand, everything is simple. There are people who don't read the entire procedure to be done, and here is the reason I make mistakes

I, for example, I created a bootable raid software without any error, uefi-mode.

These days I write a guide how to make bootable raid

Mrengles

Mrengles

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts

Yes...

But seems that the most of UEFI BIOS owners don't know the differences
between standard BIOS boot an UEFI boot yet...

So, as dmazar told, until someone
make a really good guide, maybe this is the best choice, then later after those users
start to understand how to use Clover, they can install manually those files...

Will the standard installer still be released with future builds or just the ISO "EFI" folder?

The installer has the unpack option? I really don't think Clover is very difficult it install. Just need to read the thread, allot of new information has been released since the original first few pages. The only thing a "new" good guide will do is consolidate the information for people who are to lazy to read the entire thread. Which will help a lot of people. :)

And have having it all typed up in an "official" Clover Installation and User Guide will give some confidence to new users. Because now they start the installation with one members instructions, complete the installation with another members information, and configure with yet another members information. Who's right and who wrong? Then most likely they fix little aspects of their hackintosh with even another clover users help to fine tune and attempt to get a 100% working system.

A new guide is not needed, but will help a lot more people with the information just being better organized.

If someone really wants to go overboard a YouTube video series can me made too.

That's just my two cents.

-Mrengles
  • cyf likes this

kyndder

kyndder

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts

Will the standard installer still be released with future builds or just the ISO "EFI" folder?

I'm not a Developer, so, I can't tell anything about this, but I think that Slice, dmazar, apianti, etc, may prefer a full installer...

The installer has the unpack option?

And + description on each option, it's everything 100% clear...

But as I told before, seems that anyone read that info... :(

I really don't think Clover is very difficult it install. Just need to read the thread, allot of new information has been released since the original first few pages. The only thing a "new" good guide will do is consolidate the information for people who are to lazy to read the entire thread. Which will help a lot of people. :)

I also think this way...

Chameleon is widely know and until today, we can see lots os new users having great headshakes
to configure him...

And have having it all typed up in an "official" Clover Installation and User Guide will give some confidence to new users. Because now they start the installation with one members instructions, complete the installation with another members information, and configure with yet another members information. Who's right and who wrong? Then most likely they fix little aspects of their hackintosh with even another clover users help to fine tune and attempt to get a 100% working system.

All Clover's installations are "Official"...

Slice's rule is "Just one Branch", so, all Clover installers that may be around should be "Official"...

The user to user to user thing is the natural order of things... Did you ever imagined if the Developers
waste their times helping new users??? How they will have time to make changes to his projects and make the things every time better than before???

A new guide is not needed, but will help a lot more people with the information just being better organized.

Try to make the existing documentation a bit more organised will have a better effect than
create dozens of guides...

just more places to "Slice" the information... ;)

If someone really wants to go overboard a YouTube video series can me made too.

I never liked this stuff... I'm getting old... I like much more to read...

The better thing to watch it's a really nice movie on the theater...

MAik

MAik

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
I'm getting a boot error related to the AptioFix Driver on Clover v897 (v857 works fine).

Attached File  WP_20121124 - Copy.jpg   102.77KB   36 downloads

tonydickinson

tonydickinson

InsanelyMac Geek

• Donators
  • 190 posts

I'm not a Developer, so, I can't tell anything about this, but I think that Slice, dmazar, apianti, etc, may prefer a full installer...

And + description on each option, it's everything 100% clear...

But as I told before, seems that anyone read that info... :(

I also think this way...

Chameleon is widely know and until today, we can see lots os new users having great headshakes
to configure him...

All Clover's installations are "Official"...

Slice's rule is "Just one Branch", so, all Clover installers that may be around should be "Official"...

The user to user to user thing is the natural order of things... Did you ever imagined if the Developers
waste their times helping new users??? How they will have time to make changes to his projects and make the things every time better than before???

Try to make the existing documentation a bit more organised will have a better effect than
create dozens of guides...

just more places to "Slice" the information... ;)

I never liked this stuff... I'm getting old... I like much more to read...

The better thing to watch it's a really nice movie on the theater...

I do not believe that Clover is difficult to install.

However not being totally Noob , I found that there was too much information out there.

The original basic installer is relatively straight forward, but does insert drivers that are not wanted or have not been ticked, and there are unanswered questions like should a USB stick be MBR or GPT etc etc that confused me in the beginning and I have followed Clover's development way back to the iphonetom days which Slice took over and developed into something that WORKS.

Another issue regarding Clover BIOS and UEFI booting is how the PC BIOS is set up and particularly with Z77 and Z79 boards the UEFI setting determine what is seem at boot time, Asus for example is defaulting UEFI booting to the Windows Secure System now in their latest firmware, so knowledge is required as to how to set up your BIOS. It appears to me as well that overclocking memory and CPU can affect booting with UEFI - BIOS is more tolerant. A DSDT as well appantly working with Chameleon might not be suitable for Clover - so there are a multitude of permutations that would make a generic guide difficult to produce in respect of motherboards and graphics cards, DSDT yes or no, etc etc.

I believe what is being done here by ErmaC and by Kynnder at http://www.osx86.net...bootloader.html are really helping many people get to grips with the problems, and it is just knowing where to look. One also has to forget the Chameleon mentality i.e. understanding that the Config.plist file is just not a copy of org.chameleon.boot.plist and smbios.plist, and expect it to work. Clover actively works on your UEFI/EFI BIOS whereas Chameleon is mostly passive and makes cosmetic changes.

Clover to those who are used to using pkg files to do the job for them will have difficulties, as they just check boxes and pray that it will work then get all emotional when it does not, as they have no clue as to what they are doing. There has to be experimentation and learning, I do not believe that YouTube videos are a substitution for reading and experimenting. Also issue like USB3 and Sleep/Wake might be problematical as one strives to find and understand what is needed.

@Kynder I like your approach of providing a UEFI install for Clover simplifying the process considerably.

Mrengles

Mrengles

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts
After reading all of the Clover Guide posts in this thread, I'm starting to think a good way for "all" the Cover information be moved to its own section of this forum, and from there Clover sub sections. That way us the users, can writeup/create own own Users guides specific to our hardware and software. The Developers having to create a "Users Guide" with all the different hardware and software combinations could be very difficult and time consuming. This would also make it much easier for new users to find the information they seek "How to get clover working on my hardware".

As a community we need to keep them "developers" working on the software, fixing bugs, creating new code the list goes one. They could write there own "User Guides" that would also be very welcome, but having a section just for Clover Bootloader User Builds will help organize the massive amounts of information, and keep from having to create a new massive Clover Guide/Instructions.

The Different sub sections can be moderated to keep people on task, and help keep the Clover Forum Section clean. We could have stickies for well written posts, a place to post Installer screen shots, configurations post for your hardware, Q & A section, development section this list goes on...

I think this would really help. More "better" information is not the answer, better organized information will help new clover users find the material they need to get started, and continue to learn about the project.
  • cyf likes this

fau7i

fau7i

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts

I prefer installer, because that's how Clover is distributed. And to install Clover on USB stick, you just need start installer and click through it (ok, maybe some additional notes on what to click could help) - end you end up with USB stick with Clover that is:
- BIOS bootable
- UEFI bootable
- plus you can put your Chameleon on it
- and even XPC

But that's just start. Then you need to set right options to make it work and finally install it to HDD.

I already pointed for dmazar's tip to have many boot loaders at one USB Stick, but apparently anyone saw...

The stick is what I've gotten since moving from Chameleon. And it does bring its jobs nicely until now. I would switch back to Chameleon at any times.

However, regarding to recalling Chameleon (with press 1) after I moved Clover into my HDD, it just ignores my /Extra in Clover's partition. Instead I have to put it back in the root of OS X partition. It seems not right. Ideally, I would like to have chances to totally wipe out any of working OS X to repeat a clean installation, without concerning to reinstall bootloader's package.

Yes, the USB stick can be a life saver but I couldn't figure out why I can't have its features in my HDD. Is it as simple as because Clover's partition is on GPT, while the stick is on MBR ? Both are formatted as FAT32...

Thanks

tonydickinson

tonydickinson

InsanelyMac Geek

• Donators
  • 190 posts

After reading all of the Clover Guide posts in this thread, I'm starting to think a good way for "all" the Cover information be moved to its own section of this forum, and from there Clover sub sections. That way us the users, can writeup/create own own Users guides specific to our hardware and software. The Developers having to create a "Users Guide" with all the different hardware and software combinations could be very difficult and time consuming. This would also make it much easier for new users to find the information they seek "How to get clover working on my hardware".

As a community we need to keep them "developers" working on the software, fixing bugs, creating new code the list goes one. They could write there own "User Guides" that would also be very welcome, but having a section just for Clover Bootloader User Builds will help organize the massive amounts of information, and keep from having to create a new massive Clover Guide/Instructions.

The Different sub sections can be moderated to keep people on task, and help keep the Clover Forum Section clean. We could have stickies for well written posts, a place to post Installer screen shots, configurations post for your hardware, Q & A section, development section this list goes on...

I think this would really help. More "better" information is not the answer, better organized information will help new clover users find the material they need to get started, and continue to learn about the project.

The danger of what you suggest is that you are encouraging people not to think or understand what they are doing and create even more reading, like what happens elsewhere where they offer to do things for you asking for a donation, then leave it up to others to clear up the mess they created, with all manner of points of view - the blind leading the blind would describe what you are suggesting - not a good idea...

Mrengles

Mrengles

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts
:hammer:

Clover Easter Egg. I've only tested this while booting UEFI. Acts like holding the Option key when booting a real Mac.

I have my refit.conf timeout set to "0", this setting keeps Clover from showing the main menu and automatically boots the default drive. If you rapidly hit the right or left arrow key on the keyboard, just after the UEFI/Bios post screen, When Clover would normally be getting ready to show the main menu, it will halt the auto selection option and allow you access to the main menu as if you had the timeout set to "-0". You will now have full access to the Clover main menu.

Don't ask me how I figured this out, It just kinda happened. Now that I'm thinking about it, you might be able to just hold the Arrow key down as apposed to rapidly pressing one of them. I'll have to test my notion the next time I restart or boot my computer.

-Mrengles

zhangqq

zhangqq

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts
I have a very strange problem with my ThinkPad W520.
My W520 works very good with Chameleon and I installed Clover with the dsdt and 8 ssdt files I used with Chameleon.
The new ML system looks very good. Everything works including sleep, reboot and shutdown.
But after the hard driver test with NovaBench, the system died when I put it to sleep.
And I also found the system would die randomly when I put it to sleep after several times sleep and waking up.
I used this W520 with Chameleon for 10 months and never found this issue before.

Can anyone help me? THX!

[New Updates]

I used the legacy mode to boot Clover this morning, everything worked fine.
So it should be the problem of Phoenix UEFI.

Edited by zhangqq, 25 November 2012 - 06:34 PM.

ErmaC

ErmaC

• Supervisors
  • 4,752 posts
Guys ... keep in mind that Slice (and all help him) make an extraordinary effort in an attempt to documenting the project.

Who asks for a Clover F.A.Q. section.
I remind you that in the first twenty-five replies of this topic is present a section to the FAQ.
That post (Post#23 F.A.Q.) is currently a work in progress :moil:.... so

I invite anyone to write simple questions and answers that we can include in the Clover F.A.Q. post.

Fabio

magnifico

magnifico

Retired

• Donators
  • 2,559 posts
Fabio Thanks for your intervention...

This project is fantastic, you just follow along with a lot of patience, who has no patience cannot have a real hack...

dmazar

dmazar

InsanelyMac Sage

• Coders
  • 274 posts

I'm getting a boot error related to the AptioFix Driver on Clover v897 (v857 works fine).

Errors like this usually occurs when thee is no "slide=0" in boot args when booting ML. Can you check that?

Mrengles

Mrengles

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts
Hey Devs,

I was just thinking. Can you guys/girls add an option to the Clover main menu to override the current Smbios settings like you have with so many other conf.plist setting?

Maybe a sub menu for SMBios were we can check off what Mac model we would temporarily like to boot with?

Is this possible? Something that would be worth adding? Would other like this feature?

I'd live to here your comments.

Thanks

-Mrengles

Taruga

Taruga

Retired

• Retired Developers
  • 533 posts
I would like that also

magnifico

magnifico

Retired

• Donators
  • 2,559 posts
Have again upgrade on my pc ...

EFI firmware update for iMac EFI firmware update on your computer. The computer's power cord must be connected and plugged into a working electrical outlet. IMac is restarted you will see a gray screen with a progress bar indicating the progress of the upgrade. To complete the update will take several minutes. Do not disconnect or turn off your iMac during the upgrade

Posted Image

to any of you do the same?

Mrengles

Mrengles

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts

Have again upgrade on my pc ...

EFI firmware update for iMac EFI firmware update on your computer. The computer's power cord must be connected and plugged into a working electrical outlet. IMac is restarted you will see a gray screen with a progress bar indicating the progress of the upgrade. To complete the update will take several minutes. Do not disconnect or turn off your iMac during the upgrade

Posted Image

to any of you do the same?

That up date won't work on a hackintosh because we use mfg UEFI and clover UEFI not apples EFI. You can try but it won't install.

magnifico

magnifico

Retired

• Donators
  • 2,559 posts
:wallbash:

Warning: don't do this upgrade, you will find when you restart the bios reset

beta992

beta992

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 338 posts
No issues at all. System reboots after EFI-upgrade but nothing happens. After reboot the update can be installed again. So with other words, it just doesn't do anything.

One serious warning: Today I performed a Disk Repair on my HDD where OS X is installed (Inside Disk Utility). It 'repaired' my EFI-partition by deleting the EFI-partition and creating a new one. :(

cyf

cyf

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts

That up date won't work on a hackintosh because we use mfg UEFI and clover UEFI not apples EFI. You can try but it won't install.

:wallbash:

Warning: don't do this upgrade, you will find when you restart the bios reset

No issues at all. System reboots after EFI-upgrade but nothing happens. After reboot the update can be installed again. So with other words, it just doesn't do anything.

One serious warning: Today I performed a Disk Repair on my HDD where OS X is installed (Inside Disk Utility). It 'repaired' my EFI-partition by deleting the EFI-partition and creating a new one. :(

In general, on a Hackintosh, we should NOT be accepting any Mac OS updates or "upgrades" because it will generally break your installation because we have specialized kexts--unless your hardware is "100%" compatible.

I speak from experience, unfortunately. Even though the statement seems obvious now, I did the recent update for 10.8.2, and paid dearly for it. Haha, even "real Apple" owners have problems.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Bootloader, EFI, Clover

4 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy