Clover General discussion

ErmaC
29,866 posts in this topic

Does someone know what BoardSerialNumber is in SMBIOS of the config.plist? I've never heard of a readable BoardSerialNumber in real Macs, can someone explain it to me?

May be you should more carefully look into real mac smbios?

Handle 0x001D, DMI type 1, 27 bytes
System Information
Manufacturer: Apple Inc.
Product Name: iMac12,2
Version: 1.0
Serial Number: DG000000DHJP
UUID: AF420000-5D73-0000-0005-F1A00000084
Wake-up Type: Power Switch
SKU Number: Not Specified
Family: iMac
Handle 0x001E, DMI type 2, 16 bytes
Base Board Information
Product Name: Mac-942B59F58194171B
Version: iMac12,2
Serial Number: C02000000000MT31M
Asset Tag: Not Specified
Features:
 Board is a hosting board
 Board is replaceable
Location In Chassis: Part Component
Chassis Handle: 0x001F
Type: Motherboard
Contained Object Handles: 0

I changed some letters and digits in the SNs for private reason.

I boot from USB Pen formatted FAT32 ,

but after I click on the Mac OS partition I get this error

I see OsxAptioFix here. It means you are trying UEFI boot. What about BIOS boot by traditional way? BIOS->MBR->PBR->boot->CloverX64.efi

Here's the video of Clover booting 100% UEFI motherboard, and Nvidia 670 w/ UEFI vBios. Notice that I no longer have a "BIOS" post/splash screen, because I'm using the Ultra Fast Boot option on my motherboard for Windows 8, But I'm booting Clover/OSX not Microsofts heap of $h!t. =)

http://youtu.be/J2ZgC5w5kqM

-Mrengles

I have to go back to this one - really nice boot :)

So, recipe for "fast boot" is:

- UEFI motherboard with "Fast boot" option

- graphics card with UEFI GOP driver (requirement for "Fast boot")

- working UEFI Clover boot with timeout=0 and quiet options in refit.conf

- OSX installed to SSD disk

Hi dmazar,

This is just for reference.

Mine(almost 20 sec) is much slower than Mrengles' system(about 10 sec).

His booting time is quite impressive.

Meantime, given that my system has relatively old specifications, my speed of 20 seconds seems not that bad.

My system has;

CPU:i7-2600 Sandy Bridge (3.4GHz)

MoBo: Giga Z68MX-UD2H-B3(U1c UEFI Bios)

VGA: GTX460

RAM: 1333MHz 16GB RAM (set to 1600MHz)

HDD: Intel G2 SSD 80GB(SATA2)

- my mobo has no fast boot option

- vga has no UEFI GOP driver

- UEFI Clover timeout = 0

- no quiet options in retif.conf

- OS X on SATA2 SSD

http://youtu.be/8BvAyG_jOs8

Yes only my ASRock motherboard, has a 3 boot options. Disable, Fast Boot, and Ultra Fast Boot.

To enable Ultra Fast Boot the motherboard requires:

CSM Disabled "100% UEFI Only"

GPU with UEFI ROM "UEFI GOP"

HDD formatted in GTP in my case an SSD. "No USB Disk allowed."

When set to Ultra Fast Boot, you will no longer have access too Boot Selection or be able to change your UEFI settings at boot. Either a CMOS reset or a special application provided by ASRock that allows (Restart to UEFI Settings from Windows 8). This is not a problem with my board because I have an CMOS reset switch on the back I/O panel.

But yes Damzar, that's all that is required for Ultra Fast Boot on an ASRock Z77 board. What happens now, If I try to get in the UEFI settings by holding "F2" or the "delete" key at post "Boot", it brings up the Clover main menu even though I have it set to quite and timeout=0. :D

Clover and this ASRock Z77 Professional-M motherboard is really kicking some major Å$$. :guitar:

Mrengles

i have asked a my friend italian...and him have asrock z77 extreme 6 ...and he also has these boot settings, but does not see the GPU settings, maybe you only see when you change the video card's firmware? ( of course evga video compatible with UEFI )

You confirm this?

:hammer:

@Robert You can write walkthrough with screen how do update the firmware compatible video card, and some of your BIOS Setup screen, if you do this the insanaly community would be happy

:hammer:

Carmine,

The process is very simple. Your making this a bigger deal then it actually is. You must update from Windows 7, or 8.

1. Download UEFI Firmware updater from EVGA Tech Support.

2. Double-click "Updater.exe"

Your GPU Firmware has now been updated to UEFI GOP.

UEFI GOP is not a setting in the ASRock bios setup. The only thing you need to change:

Under the "Boot" menu set the type of boot to Ultra Fast Boot.

I don't know what else you need. It's that simple and doesn't warrant a step-by-step guide. It's only a single step as far as setting up the motherboard.

Make sure your booting Clover with UEFI and not a legacy method.

Insure your booting 100% UEFI by disabling CSM.

-Mrengles

PS. Your ASRock motherboard may not have the Ultra Fast Boot option, now that I'm thinking about it. My board received support since BIOS v1.80 released (12/7/2012) December 7th, 2012

ok ...thanks Robby :santa:

What ethernet does your motherboard have?

I have a patched 10.8.2 IONetworkingFamily that works with Broadcom 57781 supports wol, jumbo frames, lom like real Mac. It's not the same as osx86.net

I'm the only person with it, that I know of. A friend made for me. I'm still looking to do the patching with clover but it might be more complicated then a simple hex edit.

Let me know if you want/need.

With Clover the modded patches not required, and I would awlays recommend Sonnett

Carmine,

The process is very simple. Your making this a bigger deal then it actually is. You must update from Windows 7, or 8.

1. Download UEFI Firmware updater from EVGA Tech Support.

2. Double-click "Updater.exe"

Your GPU Firmware has now been updated to UEFI GOP.

UEFI GOP is not a setting in the ASRock bios setup. The only thing you need to change:

Under the "Boot" menu set the type of boot to Ultra Fast Boot.

I don't know what else you need. It's that simple and doesn't warrant a step-by-step guide. It's only a single step as far as setting up the motherboard.

Make sure your booting Clover with UEFI and not a legacy method.

Insure your booting 100% UEFI by disabling CSM.

-Mrengles

PS. Your ASRock motherboard may not have the Ultra Fast Boot option, now that I'm thinking about it. My board received support since BIOS v1.80 released (12/7/2012) December 7th, 2012

Robert I am intrigued by this graphics card and UEFI booting saga. Alas I can find no such upgrades for my HIS Radeon 6870.

Now this card works very well - at boot time there is a very short lag, but I get full resolution as it is both with HD4000 and the ATI6870.

Can you PLEEEEZE tell me/ sell me what the real time benefits are in using an Nvidia 6 series card, that buying something we want but do not need to save two seconds on boot.

Sell man...

Man all kepler( series 6xxx) is compatible for this support ....but the problem is motherbord....if your motherboard dont have super fast boot ....unterstound?

Understood - it is always nice to have the latest kit. I for one have always liked the latest and often ignoring good sense. If this amazing soon to be replaced graphics card would improve my OSX experience I would like to know, but to save two seconds boot time would not make it a good investment when what I have is adequate for my needs, and I am fussy...

I was merely asking Robert to explain the particular plus points of those cards and is the investment worth it as if I recall from one of his earlier posts he gave up on the 6870 so he is in a good position to offer a good reason as to why the investment adds value to his OSX experience.

Tony,

I can't sell you on the GPU, if you want to spend the money? go for it. But why spend $450.0 USD to have a nice boot screen with Clover? I already had the card so its was worth the time to update to UEFI GOP, I would not pay money for it.

Your call.

-Mrengles

• Like 1

May be you should more carefully look into real mac smbios?

Handle 0x001D, DMI type 1, 27 bytes
System Information
Product Name: iMac12,2
Serial Number: DG000000DHJP
UUID: AF420000-5D73-0000-0005-F1A00000084
SKU Number: Not Specified
Family: iMac
Handle 0x001E, DMI type 2, 16 bytes
Base Board Information
Product Name: Mac-942B59F58194171B
Version: iMac12,2
Serial Number: C02000000000MT31M
Asset Tag: Not Specified
Features:
Board is a hosting board
Board is replaceable
Chassis Handle: 0x001F

I changed some letters and digits in the SNs for private reason.

Says "1" on iMac 7,1 - is this really correct?

Handle 0x0011, DMI type 1, 27 bytes
System Information
Product Name: iMac7,1
Serial Number: W8XXXXXX
UUID: XXXXXXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXXXXXXX
SKU Number: System SKU#
Family: Mac

Handle 0x0012, DMI type 2, 16 bytes
Base Board Information
Product Name: Mac-F42386C8
Version: PVT
Serial Number: 1
Asset Tag: Base Board Asset Tag
Features:
Board is a hosting board
Board is replaceable
Chassis Handle: 0x0013

Handle 0x0013, DMI type 3, 21 bytes
Chassis Information
Type: All In One
Lock: Not Present
Version: Mac-F42386C8
Serial Number: W8XXXXXXXXX
Asset Tag: Asset Tag#
Boot-up State: Safe
Power Supply State: Safe
Thermal State: Other
Security Status: Other
OEM Information: 0x00000000
Height: Unspecified
Number Of Power Cords: Unspecified
Contained Elements: 0

Is there a way to add more SMBIOS things in clover? I've even flashed my NIC to be identical to my real iMac but I still can't log into iMessage.

What kind of NIC (ethernet) does your motherboard have? are you using?

Make your Ethernet BSD name is en0

Try removing these two files from /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration:

1. COM.APPLE.NETWORK.IDENTIFICATION.PLIST

2. NETWORKINTERFACE.PLIST

Both files might not be available to delete. Then go to System Preference --> Network, and remove ALL of the network interfaces. Then re-add the ethernet interface. Restart the computer. This should set your NIC to en0. Then you can go back to System Preference --> Network and add the rest of your network interfaces.

The key here is that ethernet has an BSD name of en0. This should fix iCloud.

Good Luck,

Mrengles

With Clover the modded patches not required, and I would awlays recommend Sonnett

Tony,

With the Broadcom BCM57781 the patches are required. Otherwise the apple buit-in broadcom driver will not work.

I really don't understand why you would say they are not required? I thought you use Intel NICs anyways?

Anyhows if you have a Broadcom 57781 that comes with many of the asrock motherboards and want complete support for the ethernet just PM me. I'll send over the Modified IONetworkingFamily.kext

Mrengles

Robert

1. Thanks for the info regarding the GPU, we spend so much money and if you recall we discussed the BIOS issue with ATI cards and how I managed to brick a 5770 attempting a Netkas patch to change the BIOS to EFI some months ago. I could try this with with my 6870 but am not willing to take the risk. They also are talking about modding the BIOS for a real MacPro not for a PC, so far too risky. I also have a faulty mini DP port on my 6870 (there are two in total) which is out of warranty, its caused by a soldered dry joint and it is so tiny its impossible to repair it with a regular soldering iron.

There is an interest in upgrading but if you had told me the graphics is far superior to your former 6870 I would respect your judgement and likely buy a similar but lower grade card than you have as EFI is obviously better, but while the second port functions and I also have an option of Dual DVI as a last resort, that sort of money is really not justified. I have five mouths to feed...., and this is a hobby anyway for FUN only, as my business depends on real macs and synology units.

2. No I do not use Intel NICs, I use a Sonnett Presto PCIE card that uses the native AppleYukon2.kext, hence no need for any mods to the

IONetworkingFamily.kext. The internal Intel Lan controller is disabled on my board.

I hope this makes it clearer and thanks for your helpful response.

Have a great Christmas.

Tony,

If the solder joints are to small to use a iron, try a percision torch. If you only need to reset the solder, it might help. Obviously you know at your own risk it's not my fault, yada yada yada.

The GTX 670 it a much better card then the 6870. You could go with the stock 2gb non-overclocked model especially if you're not a gamer. The only reason I picked up the 4 GB model because it powers two displays and an HD projector. The extra VRAM helps Significantly with the "3rd" display.

-mrengles