OS X 10.8.3 all Builds !

fantomas

328 posts in this topic

Yeah slow updates..

Side note

I think its best to just PM the person if you want to know about something. Some get upset dont want to help and over text. Its a great site and you want people to support it. Being short with anyone never helps in the long run.

Fail. This is never a good idea. Use the fourms so when a fix is found everyone can see all the notes.

• Like 1

Yeah slow updates..

Side note

I think its best to just PM the person if you want to know about something. Some get upset dont want to help and over text. Its a great site and you want people to support it. Being short with anyone never helps in the long run.

Maybe I can help explain more..Trust me, no one is going to be glad you PM'd them instead of posted to the forum. PM is actually not the best option for a number of reasons. 1) Your asking one person to take their time to help only you, without anyone else being able to search and read the same info later. Aside from real life, here I may have other important "site stuff" to do and may not be able to answer PM's for hours, days or even at all. You also limit your knowledge base: Nobody here knows more than everybody here! Also people here help and try to answer any questions they know the answer to (and some they don't). I've literally responded to thousands, and that's a lot. Look at the post counts for some users, that's not from talking about the weather. That being the case, and since I don't know a thousand things, I've must have answered the same questions quite a few times :) Since I don't remember everything, I even search and find my own posts, and of course others posts too, to then answer new posts on the same question. Now I understand people don't always know what exactly to ask/search so they can find their own answers, and that's fine. just try to search first, if you need to ask, please ask in the appropriate forum or even start a new topic just for you if needed. Some answers aren't yes/no but maybe need to be very long and descriptive. Some have been answered so many times it's like "come on, you didn't try" :) . So if you ask a question and get a reply of "search", please search, as it is likely going to get you the quickest, most complete answer. You can search the whole site, certain sections, individual topics, etc to help narrow it down. So although this is supposed to be a 10.8.3 topic, searching it for 7970 or 7870 or 7xxx each returns about 10 posts from this topic, all with the search term highlighted in bright yellow making it easy to scan and find in each post. Beyond the site's search or google search, if you end up at a huge forum page and reading it all for one little reference your trying to find would take 5mins, Safari rocks! just hit command+f and search whatever page your on for any word you want and save your self hours! Then once you find it, please read it... :)
  • Like 9

Yeah, they have had plenty of builds.

I'm wondering when the final will come out... each time I think they gonna release it...

You guessed... I get a mail that another beta dev build is out X-)

Andy, if that delay means they are really working to nail it, so hats off to Apple. I want 10.8.3, but i want it to be good (plenty of problems trying to make it run on AMD to deal with intrinsic miscoding issues).

Best regards!

Yeah slow updates..

Side note

lots of people here will help. just need to ask the right questions and have done your search on the forum before hand to see if it has already been answered. There is so much information here it's no longer funny it just takes a long time to consume. Not everyone is short with their replies. But you have to be willing to learn.

I'm beginning to wonder is 10.8.3 final will be released before we reach 20 beta builds

I think Apple want to have something "proper" with OS X Mountain Lion before introduce the new OS X 10.9

They don't want to have another OS X Lion with OS X Mountain Lion

• Like 1

If they make it as fast as SL was, I can wait... :P

btw am I the only who hates when safari starting to get caching and indexing topsites and stuff? I hope they make it faster or reduce the resource need for that process... (but sadly I know they won't)

Does any one here think that Apple is treating OS X as second class citizen now?

I guess they're putting more resources into iOS than OS X.

Just look at the Apple forums and check out the number of threads complaining about problems in OS X 10.7 and 10.8!

Issues ranging from slow shutdown to graphics lags, audio stutters, horrible memory management, sandbox errors.... etc

Don't get me wrong though. ML is faster than SL on both my computers (Hack and Mac), and I truly love it. But for me the Mac OS was all about stability and consistency, both of which seem to be lost in 10.8.

I think Apple should slow down their releases, delay 10.9 and work on 10.8 to get it on par with 10.6

• Like 2

With the latest build will the OpenCL patch and patch for the libclh.dylib work with the patches for 10.8.2 or is it a newer patch not released yet? We no longer have to patch GeForceGLDriver since 10.8.0?

Don't get me wrong though. ML is faster than SL on both my computers (Hack and Mac), and I truly love it.

Same here, and i can compare both on the same machine (core i5 3570K). On my AMD rig, even Lion outperforms SL in most tasks, and THE 10.7.5 version is almost as enjoyable as ML (but AMD is not the correct lab for comparisons, i suppose).

But i should agree with boot time/shutdown complaints: ML takes double the time of SL to get to the desktop, and SL shuts down instantly in a blue flash, both in my AMD and my Intel rigs, while ML painfully stays for a while in that farewell white screen.

Best regards!

P.S.: The difference between performance between Mountain Lion and Snow Leopard, running on the same machine, appears to be dramatic, if we're to believe Geekbench: 10.8.3 scores around 11.100, while 10.6.8 scores about 10.500 (i5 3570K, GA-H77-DS3H), On the other hand, i learned that it scores higher with 10.6.8 in Rosetta mode (about 4.600) than my Athlon II x2 hack with any OSX iteration (maximum of 4.500).

Edited by theconnactic

I don't think 5% is small when comparing systems, where any performance gain is widely advertised as a huge victory. Remember: i use the very same hardware to compare both of them. That, as i see, proves that the much spoken statement of Snow Leopard being the best performing of Apple's systems as a huge myth, in the same class of Windows XP nostalgia and anti-unity f.u.d. (not that i care that much to Linux).

Edited by theconnactic

I've always considered SL to be a great OS not because it's faster (which it shouldn't be) but because it "just works". Very few bugs or crashes and almost always behaves as expected.

• Like 2

SL is a very mature OS whether in terms of stability or optimizations

and speaking of SL, we have an article on it

http://www.insanelymac.com/_/apple/snow-leopard-still-more-popular-than-lion-r985

ML is faster but more like as a mixture of two technologies

I don't know how Apple would proceed in the future but over time, the future OS will lose everything that makes them such a good OS

with SL, Apple stopped to the version 10.6.8, with Lion to the 10.7.5 and with ML, most likely the 10.8.3 could be the last (or maybe the 10.8.4), given the endless number of betas, before presenting 10.9

I think Apple should take the time with an OS, refine it to its maximum, not just lay another one each year and pretender that is an innovation and that is what a user needs

• Like 2