[GUIDE] A fast and easy way to install Mountain Lion

tseug

201 posts in this topic

I've tried before, but it still failed.

@tseug: Do you have a solution for my issues?

My only solution is to follow step 1 which tells you to buy Mountain Lion. If you, for any reason, do not follow this step you are on your own.

• Like 1

Hi!

Could you please explain how to set timeout and turn off verbose mode in this chameleon version? I have

<key>Timeout</key>

<string>5</string>

in com.apple.Boot.plist, but it does not work - timeout is not set. And verbose mode is not set anywhere..

Everything else is working fine, thanks!

Hi!

Could you please explain how to set timeout and turn off verbose mode in this chameleon version? I have

<key>Timeout</key>

<string>5</string>

in com.apple.Boot.plist, but it does not work - timeout is not set. And verbose mode is not set anywhere..

Everything else is working fine, thanks!

Remove -v under Kernel Flags in /Extra/org.chameleon.Boot.plist to disable verbose mode. Don't know about timeout.

Hi 0nno,

my mistake. I tried the 285 GTX first, and after this the 9800GT. It was always the same result: I'm able to boot to the USB Stick, but when the installation screen should appear, the screen gets black and nothing more happens.

Thanks for the reply.

Hi KelchElch. I got the same problem with 9600gt, solved it by adding efi string generated by OSX86tools to

com.apple.Boot.plist

for my card it looks like

<key>device-properties</key>

<string>----long string-----</string>

hey guys i followed the procedure, but i am getting stuck at waiting for root device. i have one hdd and i tried it on port0 and port1. it still saying the same thing and i have ahci enabled. any ideas?

-sorry i see there is another post with still waiting for root concern, i will check that out.

Remove -v under Kernel Flags in /Extra/org.chameleon.Boot.plist to disable verbose mode. Don't know about timeout.

Thanks for your reply. Very strange - i had no org.chameleon.Boot.plist file, only

com.apple.Boot.plist (installed system with your guide, but added dsdt and

com.apple.Boot.plist to the flash card). Tried adding

org.chameleon.Boot.plist and changing boot options there, tried changing options in com.apple.Boot.plist - no result, system boots in verbose mode, and no timeout in boot loader (i have always to press key before system loads).

What version of chameleon is installed here?

And i gots another problem - near half times after turning on I got a light-gray screen, and loging window do not appear after it. Any ideas where may be the problem?

Thanks for your reply. Very strange - i had no org.chameleon.Boot.plist file, only

com.apple.Boot.plist (installed system with your guide, but added dsdt and

com.apple.Boot.plist to the flash card). Tried adding

org.chameleon.Boot.plist and changing boot options there, tried changing options in com.apple.Boot.plist - no result, system boots in verbose mode, and no timeout in boot loader (i have always to press key before system loads).

What version of chameleon is installed here?

And i gots another problem - near half times after turning on I got a light-gray screen, and loging window do not appear after it. Any ideas where may be the problem?

Any information about the software used can be found in the mkboot and finalize script comments. Use org.chameleon.Boot.plist instead.

Hi tseug, hi 0nn0,

I succeeded in installing Mountain Lion on my EP35-DS4 board with the NVidea GTX 285 graphic card. I had to add npci=0x2000 PCIRootUID=1 to the kernel flags. After that the screen didn't turn black so I could finish the installation.

Thanks for that,

KelchElch

• Like 1

I have a GA-P35-DS4 with 4GB of RAM & a nvidia 9800GT (1GB)

When I create the bootable USB; then use it to install Mountain Lion: it seems to black out after the apple boot logo; has anyone else had success with a 9800GT (1GB) ?

Ok, So I got past the Black Screen of death by following the instructions here:

http://olarila.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=154

Specifically the instructions to include the PCIRoot string in the org.chameleon.Boot.plist.

Again, my Gfx Card is a nVidia 9800GT (1GB), and it required the PCIRoot to be set to "1"; as shown in the other article.

I do however get a message on booting both the usb, as well as the Mountain Lion installed drive:

Invalid character found in ProcessorOP 0x5c!

API CPUs not found: C-States not Generated ! ! !

API CPUs not found: P-States not Generated ! ! !

It does seem to boot eventually but hangs here for quite a while. I assume this will also effect the stability of my system for things like sleep, etc.

Could anyone give some insights as to why My GA-P35-DS4 is having these issues? My processor is an Intel 2.83 Quad-Core (Q9550)

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

• Like 1

Ok, So I got past the Black Screen of death by following the instructions here:

http://olarila.com/f....php?f=18&t=154

Specifically the instructions to include the PCIRoot string in the org.chameleon.Boot.plist.

Again, my Gfx Card is a nVidia 9800GT (1GB), and it required the PCIRoot to be set to "1"; as shown in the other article.

I do however get a message on booting both the usb, as well as the Mountain Lion installed drive:

API CPUs not found: C-States not Generated ! ! !

API CPUs not found: P-States not Generated ! ! !

It does seem to boot eventually but hangs here for quite a while. I assume this will also effect the stability of my system for things like sleep, etc.

Could anyone give some insights as to why My GA-P35-DS4 is having these issues? My processor is an Intel 2.83 Quad-Core (Q9550)

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

I use the board UD3 GA-P45T-LR, I assume the board you use has the same BIOS configuration with my board.

Try to enter the menu Advanced BIOS Setup and follow my configuration like attached below.

img0088xi.jpg

So I looked at my Bios (rev. 14); and it seems to be different than the BIOS for your board. See Attached Pics:

post-330541-0-09034600-1345164075_thumb.jpeg

post-330541-0-02079000-1345164100_thumb.jpeg

You can try skip kernel cache by using ignoring cache on boot or you can also type before booting:

boot: UseKernelCache=No

So I don't understand why I am getting these errors. This guide is specifically for my Board; the same as Tseug's; GA-P35-DS4

It seems strange to me that this is happening. If I do as you are suggesting it would sidestep the issue but not resolve it.

As it currently stands: the installation works; but I don't understand why I can't get CPU states to work for sleep, etc.

Is there not some way to define the CPU in the org.chameleon.Boot.plist?

Tseug; do you have any advice for this?

Ok, So the C-States, & P-States messages I got during booting the install usb, goes away after running the "./finalize" command. Though full sleep still does not work. Display sleeps, but not the computer; even if I let it time itself out to sleep instead of choosing "sleep" from the apple menu.

Hi Tseug,

Thx. Works like it should with my ds4.

I only got one weird problem:

My magic mouse just seems to hang constantly, like everything freezes for a split second and then resumes again.

It keeps doing that... you have any id what that could be ?

Thanks, tseug, this is awesome. I used your 10.5 and 10.6 installers as well, back in the day!

I tried to install first with the Beast that is Multi/Uni (why is that banned?!), but had no luck building the USB installer with UniB. I then found this thread, saw your name, and knew I could trust it!

I tried to be clever and ran the DSDT Patcher 1.0.1e to get a patched DSDT.aml from my working 10.6.7 system (incidentally, someone asked on the first page why they couldn't download ML, they were on 10.6.7, minimum OS requirement is 10.6.8 - I'm clean installing, and downloaded ML on my MacBookPro, which is on 10.6.8).

I put the DSDT.aml in the Extras folder in the install directory before running mkboot, so it got included on the USB stick and then in the ML install. It seemed to be working okay, but once installed, ML was very slow and jerky, no sound, HD icon was as an external drive, etc. I realised I needed to use your DSDT patcher. So I deleted DSDT.aml from the boot USB to force a new DSDT.aml to be generated. Then I got a black screen at boot. My GPU is Nvidia GTX 285, and GraphicsEnabler=Yes in org.chameleon.Boot.plist. I added my DSDT.aml back into the Extras folder, and it rebooted okay, so once running I mounted the USB stick as read/write (it's usually read only) and renamed the DSDT.aml to DSDT.old, then re-ran finalize. After reboot, everything is silky smooth as it should be! Sound, network and GPU all working well now. I will probably run UniB just to install Trim support for my Intel X25 SSD, which I think is supported.

Also, no problem updating to 10.8.1.

Many thanks!

Thanks, using Tseug guide eveyithing is gone well.

Obviuosly there's something not perfect.

When the screensaver is activated, I type the kboard or touch the mouse and the screen remain black, but I can see the pointer moving accordingly to my mouse.Then, I got only one chance..force the shutdown

Even with the sleep I discovered something similar, the sleep step is regulare, then when I wake it up I can move the pointer, but the password display is a bit..blurred or something like that....then the end is the same..brute halt.

Any direction to find a solution?

p.s I got the 10.8.1 update with no prob at all, but I haven't rerun the finalize script.

I have a GA-P35-DS4 with 4GB of RAM & a nvidia 9800GT (1GB)

When I create the bootable USB; then use it to install Mountain Lion: it seems to black out after the apple boot logo; has anyone else had success with a 9800GT (1GB) ?

I had no problems with my 9800GT 1GB and GA-P55-USB3. I'm using a DSDT.aml specific for my mobo that I got from tonymacx86's site.

Man... I made my own usb installer, same as I always have. I know ML is the same procedure as Lion. However I keep KP'ing. My system is vanilla, only using fakesmc on lion. I'm KP'ing on ML installer, something about "can't load ioacpifamily"

I just made a Lion installer today for this system to save it haha, but same procedure, works great. Is there some fix I am unaware of?

EDIT: Rather than try patched kexts, I decided to DL a different app store dmg, and this new one got me past the KP! Now I'm stuck at a white screen, but this seems to be well documented to be the ATI6xxxx series kext permission issue or what not.