[Guide] The all-in-one guide to Vanilla OS X (including Chameleon + DSDT) for beginners (updated for Yosemite!)

889 posts in this topic

thanx a lot. Works perfect on my Sandy Bridge i5 System with Nvidia GTX 560 and ALC 662 Audio. I just needed to install additional Kexts for ALC662 from osx86.net. The graphics is now much much faster with the out of the box driver from apple.

But i can't access the app store and can't execute apps downloaded from the app store with 10.7.4. It says my computer isn't recognized.

Is there a soluten to use the app store?

• Like 1

App store issue is a generic one regarding your network hardware.

You MUST have either a working airport or ethernet card. Then ensure ethernet buit in is checked in your org.chameleon.boot.plist. Now go to system preferences and delete all the devices in the network section. Now navigate to /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration and delete com.apple.airport.preferences.plist and networkinterfaces.plist and com.apple.boot.plist. Reboot then add your network interfaces in system preferences and try to connect to app store again

• Like 2

Fundamentally there's little change; structures been played about with and some post-install stuffs been added, i just like to keep note of the guides i've posted and if I spot a mistake / something that might be unclear I update it. 1.0 will be removed in a bit, its only still there for people who have been using it and might not have finished installing.

Part 5 – DSDT

Although not strictly required it is useful to have a DSDT for your system. On its own it can fix shutdown / sleep problems

It can't, this is a myth.

OS X already "loads" your DSDT, as well as your other ACPI tables, otherwise you would not be able to extract them on OS X in the first place.

Extracting your DSDT to a file, fixing compiling errors and having Chameleon load it for you by placing it in /Extra does not fix or change anything.

(native CPU power management) You MUST have a DSDT for this to work.

Not true. With GeneratePStates/CStates set in org.chameleon.Boot.plist, native CPU power management works for me with no ACPI table overrides.

(...) give it the paths to your DSDT and SMBios (/Extra)

/Extra is the default path for those files, it is not necessary to do anything if smbios.plist and DSDT.aml are placed in /Extra.

4. App-store "your device or computer could not be recognised..." error.

App-store requires a MAC address to verify your computer (any address, it doesn't have to be an apple one) hence you MUST have a working Ethernet or airport card for App Store to work.

This will only work with a wired Ethernet device with the built-in property set. This is what EthernetBuiltIn=y in /Extra/org.chameleon.Boot.plist is for.

You must have a driver loaded for your wired ethernet for the App store to work. It will not work with wireless ethernet.

It can't, this is a myth.

OS X already "loads" your DSDT, as well as your other ACPI tables, otherwise you would not be able to extract them on OS X in the first place.

Extracting your DSDT to a file, fixing compiling errors and having Chameleon load it for you by placing it in /Extra does not fix or change anything.

I was about to call total BS on this, however I read and re-read the original post and I agree. HOWEVER, without DSDT edits some systems need separate kexts to have working sleep and shutdown/restart. This is most prevalent on legacy and AMD systems. Chameleon is magic, but it only goes so far.

I will say this though, your reply makes it sound like a DSDT is not needed at all. It DOES fix a lot of issues (HPET, USB, HDEF etc) without the need of kexts, and for power users such as myself, I use only FakeSMC and Realtek ethernet, the rest is made possible by the fully edited DSDT. For beginners, enabling the options/fixes through Chameleon (Wizard) is the easiest way to go about getting a working Hackintosh. It teaches them absolutely nothing, but I suppose some people just want to "Git'r done!" :P

I quoted the sentence that I'm objecting to: "on its own it can fix shutdown and sleep problems." That is simply not true.

Placing an unmodified DSDT in /Extra does nothing. Compiling errors fixed or not.

That's basically what I said, my reply was very clear and to the point. I don't see how you can possibly read anything else into it.

I don't claim to be perfect so I'll take your word for that lot but this:

You must have a driver loaded for your wired ethernet for the App store to work. It will not work with wireless ethernet.

Is wrong. Without an ethernet kext loaded my laptop will connect to the app-store fine with an ar9285 airport card

This worked great for me, here are some specs:

Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R Rev 2 (No DSDT!)

Intel i7 950

10GB DDR3 @ 1079MHz

2 7200rpm sata hard drives and 1 Corsair M4 SSD with TRIM support through [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url]

ATI Radeon HD 6770 flashed as 5770 to work OOB (dual monitors working)

ALC889 audio installed with ######## (select drivers & bootloaders -> kexts & enablers -> audio -> realtek alc8xx -> unified device injector -> alc8xxHDA, then applehda rollback one level up, and finally non dsdt hda enabler -> alc889)

RealtekRTL81xx pkg enabled ethernet

Some notes:

I used the latest version of the Chameleon pkg which I found at http://www.osx86.net...ootloaders.html

Sleep does not work, but display sleep does, so turn off the system going to sleep in power options if you don't want the computer to require a reboot

Thanks for the guide, well written and explained. Though, as always, when i go Vanilla, i have the same issue. When installing, i get to Starting Darwin, then reboot. Try all combos of flags. Just can't get to the installer. I'm running an i7 2600k on a Asrock P67 Extreme4 Gen3 with 16 gigs memory and a GTX 560. If anyone has any ideas, please share. Thanks.

Without an ethernet kext loaded my laptop will connect to the app-store fine with an ar9285 airport card

That makes sense, it's an airport card. It will not work with wireless cards that aren't recognized as "Airport".

Sorry, I was a little too fast on the trigger there.

My Linksys (Ralink RT73) USB dongle is of course not recognized as an "Airport," yet I have no problem logging on to the App Store. Simply rerouted the feed through one of my ethernet ports, so it appears to be a hard line, though it's entirely wi-fi.

Hi,

Thanks for the excellent guide. I followed your instructions carefully step-by-step but when booting from USB all i get is a white screen with cursor. I tried booting in verbose, but no errors. Could it be the smbios?

I'm getting the same problem, would be nice to know whats causing it and how to solve it

Ive tried different chameleon(1820 and 2030) same result

Extensions, DSDT, smbios and boot.plist from my running system but still that white screen with the cursor :(

Currently running ML DP2 with no problems

My system is running on Gigabyte GA-H67MA-UD2H-B3, Intel i5 2400S and Sapphire Radeon HD 6850

HD6xxx series has known permissions problems with ML. Thankfully this is very fixable:

Fix:

Make sure you've got hidden files shown. Then open your install usb, navigate to system -> library -> extensions and copy ATI6000Controller.kext to a safe location (e.g. copy it to the folder of essential files). Now delete the ATI6000Controller.kext. Boot the installer with the boot flags -v -x -f and hopefully it will boot (all be it at basic resolution with no QI / CE). Now install OS X as usual. Once OS X is installed use kext utility to re-install the ATI6000Controller.kext,

I've just done that off the top of my head so check I've got the method right and get back to me.

HD6xxx series has known permissions problems with ML. Thankfully this is very fixable:

Fix:

Make sure you've got hidden files shown. Then open your install usb, navigate to system -> library -> extensions and copy ATI6000Controller.kext to a safe location (e.g. copy it to the folder of essential files). Now delete the ATI6000Controller.kext. Boot the installer with the boot flags -v -x -f and hopefully it will boot (all be it at basic resolution with no QI / CE). Now install OS X as usual. Once OS X is installed use kext utility to re-install the ATI6000Controller.kext,

I've just done that off the top of my head so check I've got the method right and get back to me.

How does one USE the kext utility? Or is it the kext wizard? Where do I reinstall the file once installed?