[Guide] The all-in-one guide to Vanilla OS X (including Chameleon + DSDT) for beginners (updated for Yosemite!)

889 posts in this topic

Hi, Although strictly speaking I'm not a beginner having been running my hack for around 3 years now I am new to the hack side of the DSDT. I have patched mine fine up to now and got by running on it and a handful of kexts. In Mountain Lion though I have a number of issues... compared to my Snow Leopard install when it comes to booting. The later starts up almost on a first time every time basis while ML throws any number of different KP messages at me depending on the mood its in. One of the more common ones was related to nvenabler which I think is now behaving a bit better withan nv overrides pkg installer I found for ML. Up to now though I have tried to apply the Graphics card hack for nvdesktop... compiled it without any errors... rebooted with enablers out and got any kind of kp you can think of for my troubles... so reckon that hack is never gonna work on my rig. I had a good number of nv related messages and also audio ones. On other boots it came down to iousbfalily.kext,

I guess one has to start somewhere and as this is a reoccurring kp regardless of whether I go with the kexts or the attempted hack I thought it might be best to post this one first and hope someone can help...

Custom Kexts I am running with my setup are as follows...

E/E -

AHCIPortInjector.kext (probably not needed),

FakeSMC.kext,

IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector (again probably not needed)

IOATAFamily.kexy and IOPCIFamily.kext (Netkas patch as I got the PCI Configuration Stick without it), have to run this on top of the IOPCIFamily.kext in SLE)

S/L/E -

NullCPUPowerManagement.kext*,

VoodooHDA.kext,

NVEnabler.kext,

IO80211Family.kext

*I installed this one with SleepEnabler and have just noticed the strangest thing, my SleepEnabler.kext seems to have gone missing and yet the system still sleeps and wakes every time (wonderful as I have never been able to get this working on previous OSes... If I nuke NullCPU I am wondering if that's tempting fate...

omcs9.jpg

So if someone can help me eradicate this KP for starters I would really appreciate it and more still if someone can spare the time to work with me on my DSDT Hacks to see if they can figure out whats going on there I'd appreciate that even more...I seem to be doing it right but still get KPs and have to recover from a separate partition every time... (I mean help me troubleshhot my system as opposed to referring me to a Gigahack every time.... I have been trying to troubleshoot issues for years based on Gigahack users advice and rarely does what works for them work for me... They have a tailor-made community who have been custom building DSDT's for years... the rest of us have to go the hard route...

My config is as follows

Intel DP43TF running ALC888VC Audio Codec (yeah, seems to be unique that none)

Q8200 x64 Quad Core at 2.33Ghz

NVidia GT 240 1GB DDR3

2 x 2 GB Kingston 800Mhz DDR2

Dual Monitor Set up...

Thanks in advance

CARPE DIEM . Never let Debugger grind you down! =)

I have an XFX GeForce 8800 GT cards

See here:

http://www.insanelym...ic=280780&st=20

@Squidderlee

First /E/E is depreciated in *lion - all kexts should be placed in /S/L/E.

Second please please please don't use kexts from SL just because you used to use them.

I don't see why you would need SleepEnabler or NullCPUPowerManagement with your system after DSDT edits. Nuke it and see what happens - at worst it will take you 2 minutes of your time to reinstall it / them.

So to make the system stable:

1. Get rid of all kexts from /E/E

2. Ensure the only additional kexts you have in /S/L/E are FakeSMC & NullCPUPowerManagement; delete any others. Remove NullCPUPowerManagement and verify if your system works without it or not. Now use the system and see how stable it is.

3. Now add your IO80211Family (which shouldn't cause you any problems) then add NVEnabler. Use the system as it is and see how stable it is.

4. Add voodooHDA only as a last resort and when you do add it make sure to delete appleHDA. The voodoo kexts generally are buggy and cause instability.

If it panics at any of the above steps post screenshot of it but don't move on until you've diagnosed the problem. Throwing everything at it at once makes it very hard to diagnose exactly whats wrong and generally leads to poor systems.

Sometimes IOUSBFamily needs rolling back but follow the above to test stability first.

Hi Rockinron - Thanks for the quick reply on this. Kinda late here so it'll be tomorrow sometime before I look at things. Having had a quick read though...

I can tell you without even blinking that my machine will not boot without the additional PCIFamily.kext installed (and yes it needs both or I get KPs)...

I also get better results with both Voodoo and appleHDA installed.... but will to a base install along the lines you mention in a separate partition. I was nor aware that E/E was deprecated and indeed if I look at any of the kext tools out there even updated for ML they all still support E/E... so I'm puzzled there... I have not added a Sleep Fix to the DSDT... I have applied all the patches but effectively none of the hacks except the hpet which did not affect reboot... I tried with the NVidia and HDMI fix.. compiled 0 errors:0 warnings,,,,, axed nvenabler and GraphicsEnabler=yes... rebooted and got kps every time and each time something different... like one time NVdia.kext messages... another audio kext and on another occasion still just hangs...

There are one or two kexts I do and will use from SL though as I totally hate not having the the grey spinning wheel at boot time... the lack of it leaves me with a total sense of insecurity and no clue as to wether the boot has hung up or not... at least with the spinner thing if it stops it's button time!!!

- Will take it from the top tomorrow though or over the next few days without E/E and as you suggest and hope you can look in and help uz along! I'm full time in charge of my soon-to-be 3 year old lass so may have more time on the weekend as she generally pops over to her grans with her mum for the day.... problem is the Prem lights up again this weekend so downtime is a touchy subject particularly with Manure trying to buy the title this year! ;)

PS... forgot to mention that my rig is totally dependant on USBBus fix... without that forget it... can't even log in! But I guess we can look at the boot.plist afterwards,,,, If I can hack the USB dependencies in the DSDT and win then fabulous!!!!

WebRep

currentVote

noRating

noWeight

There are one or two kexts I do and will use from SL though as I totally hate not having the the grey spinning wheel at boot time... the lack of it leaves me with a total sense of insecurity and no clue as to wether the boot has hung up or not... at least with the spinner thing if it stops it's button time!!!

All OS X versions have the spinning logo at boot time unless you set legacylogo in your boot.plist; this has nothing to do with using SL kexts.

Also looking at that panic output I'm assuming you haven't used my install method? Either that or you've taken the /Extra folder from an older install?

/Extra/Extensions is depreciated. There is no longer an mkext kext cache in M/Lion instead the kext cache is held by the system in the kernel cache which does not look in /E/E (hence the need to set useKernelCache=yes in boot.plist or you're effectively booting with -f each time resulting in slow boots).

• Like 1

No... but I will give your method a try for sure... I have an emergency Lion partition I can overwrite for testing purposes and have a play with that... If things work I can transfer them to the main partition... and rebuild it this way...

Hi rockingron,

Installed 10.8 to tghe partition mentioned and made it bootable, copied fakeSMC.ket to S/L/E and deleted e/e entirely

Stripped out the following kexts

Intel82566MM

NVEnabler

added useKernelCache=yes, repaired permissions and rebooted verbose

Totally as expected I got the customary hang up I mentioned,,,

I'm posting a screen from the first reboot.

2ai10ew.jpg

On the second I got the full message I should have got... ie [pci configuration begin] and of course thats as far as it went!

Anyways, thats the state of play for the moment.

my boot.plist looks like this btw

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
<key>DSDT</key>
<string>/Extra/DSDT.aml</string>
<key>EthernetBuiltIn</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>GenerateCStates</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>GeneratePStates</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>Graphics Mode</key>
<string>1680x1050x32</string>
<key>Hide Partition</key>
<string>hd(2,2)</string>
<key>Kernel</key>
<string>mach_kernel</string>
<key>SMBIOS</key>
<string>/Extra/smbios.plist</string>
<key>SystemType</key>
<string>1</string>
<key>Theme</key>
<string>Blackosx_Button</string>
<key>Timeout</key>
<string>4</string>
<key>USBBusFix</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>UseKernelCache</key>
<string>Yes</string>
</dict>
</plist>

UPDATE

I managed to get it to boot along the lines mentioned however--- even with legacy logo omitted from the org.chameleon.Boot.plist as mentioned...I still get no spinner on the boot screen! = (

My system with a patched DSDT and only a hpet hack thus far has no audio, internet or Graphics without nvenabler.kext, Intel82566MM.kext or voodoo.kext so I added them back in for now. Fakesmc is in SLE and there is no E/E folder anymore...

I played a bit and replaced the dsdt with the other version mentioned with the Nvidia Desktop hack and HDMI applies, stripped out voodoo, nvenabler and turned off GraphicsEnabler=yes and rebooted... Montor Switching off...

Rebooted again with GraphicsEnabler=yes reinstated but without nvenabler.kext and got several KPs related to NV kexts...

Took out voodoo this time (though what the heck it has to do with the nv issues I have no idea...) rebooted and this time I got as far as the boot screen only this time the mouse wouln'd budge and couldn't use the keyboard... rebooted in verbose and got the following (confirming the USB issue) - incidentally all the while I'm booting with USBBusFix=yes enabled...

I'm showing in sequence the initial screen and then the resultant after 2 hours at the Shopping Center,,, Obviously an endless loop trying to resolve the USB issue and ultimately a KP

25aum54.jpg

fmqlbr.jpg

I am attaching the DSDT with the NVidia hack applied,,,, as you will see it compiles perfectly....

So first I have to find a fix for the USB non-responsiveness at the boot screen using this DSDT

then a fix for audio (remember I can't but Voodoo back or I will not be able to boot

and even with that fixed will I have QE/CI working???

I reckon if I can get these fixed I'll be able to drop voodoo.kext, nvenabler and USBBusFix but no matter what the outcome I'll still need GraphicsEnabler=yes Unless of course I want to boot to a sleeping monitor every time... The audio though might be a real issue as its not a standard AlC888... its an ALC888VC

FURTHER UPDATE:

With this method my Sleep Enabler no longer works!!! Just installed it in SLE rebooted 3 times and each time cannot wake! Yet, on my main Mountain Lion Install with the E/E folder sleep works perfectly every time and without SleepEnabler.kext installed anywhere... ????? Puzzling....

ZoomButt.gif

@Rockinron

Spent the whole day on this but delighted to say I finally think we're on the same page and can now begin to take a look at the DSDT hacks,,,

E/E - gone!

FakeSMC in S/L/E

Replaced Voodoo with a legacy AC888 kext I hacked from SculptyGeese5.2 also uses HDAhelper

nvenabler.

SleepEnabler / nullcpupowermanagement (though I reckon possibly neither is required)

Spend most of the day with a serious headache as I simply could not get the spinner on the boot screen or Sleep... regardless of wether Legacy Logi was yes or no.

Not sure what happened but I was sure I used Netkas's IOPCIFamily.kext at some point during the day but finally decided to patch again just to be sure...and Bingo! (Netkas is a total diamond!!!)

This particular patch fixed both! seems that sleep enabler is completely dependant! on the spinner!

anyhow... Up and running on kexts and patched DSDT and now to look at the hacks.

Have sound though not digital or HDMI

Video as before

Sleep working perfectly and spinner spinning

Now to look at the hacks...

Before DSDT hacks you need to get rid of NullCPU... & SleepEnabler.

You may / may not need a patched version of AppleIntel... but the best way to tell is just delete NullCPU... & reboot and see what happens (be prepared to reinstall the kext from terminal in an installer if it panics)

• Like 1

Hopefully someone can point me in the right direction...

I can't even get the Mountain Lion installer to boot fully.

System:

Intel Q6700 GA-P35-DS3P (Rev 1.1, BIOS F12), 4GB RAM

NVidia Gigabyte GeForce GTX460 (1GB) into dual monitors.

Chameleon - Darwin/x86 boot v5.0.132 - Enoch r2042 (had to remove the ACPI plugin to get any version of OS X to boot).

DSDT modified to get ALC889a audio working

System runs 10.7.x with no problems (sleep doesn't work, but not fussed about it), and has run 10.5 and 10.6 fine.

Only kexts are FakeSMC and NullCPUPowerManagement

Mountain Lion 10.8-DP4 installed and works fine too.

Here's the result:

post-240958-0-33734900-1345371255_thumb.jpg

Before DSDT hacks you need to get rid of NullCPU... & SleepEnabler.

You may / may not need a patched version of AppleIntel... but the best way to tell is just delete NullCPU... & reboot and see what happens (be prepared to reinstall the kext from terminal in an installer if it panics)

Removed both, repaired permissions, crossed fingers, rebooted...

No Kp, no issues... booted fine.

Tried sleep... works perfectly without them as suspected and mentioned in previous posts,

Seems that Netkas's patched

IOPCIFamily.kext is the magic wand in the darkness...

That said the fans seem noisier ... (didn't leave it up long enough to see how it behaves though) what should I have been expecting that would merit having to installed the patched AppleIntelCPUpowermanager just out of

curiosity???

But looking as though we're good to go on the hacks... =)

@ T a D

What install method are you using and are you trying to boot directly from a downloaded MAS copy of ML or purchased disk,,,?

Some methods allow you to directly install from the downloaded installer... with others (my preferred method in any case) is to go under the hood and extract the OS installer (as opposed to the Downloaded wrapped installer) to a 8Gb USB stick and make it bootable...

You may have a faulty installer,,,,, if D4 installed and you can't install GM there may be something amiss. Have you tried creating a partition of one of your disks (preferably NOT your boot HD) and doing a clean install of ML to it? If trying to upgrade you may have conflicting files - particularly if its ML on top of ML..

I upgraded from Lion to ML here set up a dummy account and them migrated my SL data to it... Logged into this account and then when all was running good deleted the dummy account. (You have to do it this way on OS X as if you set up an account with the same login and pass the Migration Tool doesn't like it!) Something to try at least.

Also follow what rockinron has been saying to me,,, good advice... (Do not use an E/E folder). On my machine though I had a big issue with the native version of

IOPCIFamily.kext (couldn't sleep and no spinner on the boot screen regardless of what option I used for

legacy logo in the Org.Chameleon.boot.plist) If you have the spinner you should be able to sleep (I reckon even on Lion but haven't tested it as I was not a fan of Lion...)

On my phone so I'll post a proper reply later but if it's booted without nullcpu... then your good to go; it would have panicked on boot if you were gonna experience any issues

Cool... had a quick look at the dsdt.aml posted above but still the same old story...difficulty trying to enumerate device iousbfamily.kext. Looks as though the USB fix needs to be patched in the dsdt before I can even fart!

Bodaceously awesome excelente news dude!

Fixed the EHCI & UHC1 problem in DSDT - rebooted without USBBusFix and Bingo!

Hacked the NVDesktop section again.... restarted without nvenabler and GraphicsEnabler=yes but as I have maintained all along reboot would take me straight back to a monitor sleep... so added back in GraphicsEnabler=yes,,, and works perfectly with just that but the nvenabler is finally gone!!!! (hooray!)

added in HDA audio support and replaced AppleHda.kext with a DSDT supported version and eliminated HDAEnabler... works like a charm...

Happy enough with it now but I guess the GraphicsEnabler=yes entry ideally shouldn't be there,,, but as mentioned my rig seems to just go to a sleeping monitor without...

On another note... any thoughts on how to get 5:1 with a Realtek 888 kext??? The card physically supports 5:1 and 5 speakers work fine in WinDose but here in AudiMidi Setup it seems I am limited totally to 2 channels, Guess thats on account of the kext.... I have an Audigy 2 Se which sadly will not dance on this OS - though several other Audigy 2's will. Don't want to have to fork out for another Audigy card so am hoping at least to get 5:1 from the on-board realtek instead!

Thanks for your help.... I think cleaning up the install helped immensely with the DSDT hack end of it..... All seems much cleaner now and faster to boot and boots first time every time...so I might just get some sleep from now on!!!! =)

At stumps this Sunday evening I am left with just a modified AppleHDA.kext and the much trusted and essential netkas'-modded IOPCIFamily.kext apart from the Intel82566MM.kext used for my 10/100 ethernet. I've been able to eliminate a few of the boot switches too in org.chameleon.boot.plist so all in all I consider it a result! If you can help with the GraphicsEnabler=yes problem or the 5:1 please let me know!

@ T a D

What install method are you using and are you trying to boot directly from a downloaded MAS copy of ML or purchased disk,,,?

I initially used the [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url] method to create the USB stick from an Mac App Store purchased copy of the install image.

I've since started from scratch with the method in post #1 and (surprise, surprise!) I now have 10.8 installed.

Some methods allow you to directly install from the downloaded installer... with others (my preferred method in any case) is to go under the hood and extract the OS installer (as opposed to the Downloaded wrapped installer) to a 8Gb USB stick and make it bootable...

You may have a faulty installer,,,,, if D4 installed and you can't install GM there may be something amiss. Have you tried creating a partition of one of your disks (preferably NOT your boot HD) and doing a clean install of ML to it? If trying to upgrade you may have conflicting files - particularly if its ML on top of ML..

Obviously there was something amiss with my ML Install USB, since creating it by hand seems to have fixed the problem.

I upgraded from Lion to ML here set up a dummy account and them migrated my SL data to it... Logged into this account and then when all was running good deleted the dummy account. (You have to do it this way on OS X as if you set up an account with the same login and pass the Migration Tool doesn't like it!) Something to try at least.

This is how I upgrade each time, it seems to make things work better in the end, and saves having to worry about which kexts are patched and which aren't. Takes a bit longer, but it's worth the effort.

Now I need to remember what I tweaked to get my sound working...

• Like 1

@T a D.... Good man.. I was going to suggest the MyHack method... The [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url] method is the one I was going to mention for the app store direct install (think you can do this also with my Hack)... I don't favour the [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url] method myself (but then I don't have a Gigabyte setup).

Similarly I don't much like the myHack method as it installs a bunch of kexts and other stuff I have no clue about....

Basically I go 'under the hood' extract the direct base OS install dmg... add faksmc, smbios, dsdt and nullcpupowermanagement (Though I don't need it anymore now)... make it bootable with chameleon (dump the lot on and 8Gb stick and boot it!

@rockinron

Just discovered that all is not well with sleep since switching to your suggested structure and patching the DSDT------

Sleep works...but only the monitors... The fans are still humming long after the point where the cpus should shut off suggesting that indeed they are not sleeping.

Any suggestions here... is this what the patched appleCPUpowermanagement is needed for????

The patched appleintelcpu... is only needed if it panics on boot. Not sleeping correctly requires a DSDT fix (or sleepenabler may work if you can't get that going).

Will it wake from sleep? If so you might not have it set to the wrong sleep mode:

http://macs.about.co...-Mac-To-Use.htm

yes!!!! just seems to me though that the cpu is not sleeping,,,

hibernatemode 0 (normal desktop)

- I have not added any tweaks to the dsdt for sleep....

Further to compatible hardware you will need:

1. A working install of OS X (this may be in a virtual machine or a native install) to prepare the installer

2. A flash drive of minimum size 8GB

3. A copy of Mountain Lion

4. Patience

[/Quote]

Just a question here ron... can this not be achieved on a WInbox with a suitable boot loader? Not sure how I got my initial hack up but I didn't have access ti a Mac since my iMac was dead..... Luckily I was able to salvage the HD content when I got the hack up and running...

dmg's are certainly browseable in Poweriso but don't remember if thats how I went about it... Might be worth playing with some rainy day...but it rarely rains here!

No doubt about it though.... a working install of OS X makes life a heckuva lot easier...

-- as for the sleep problem (and remember it did work perfectly prior to changing stuff around...

Tried all sorts of stuff... adding further hacks to the dsdt, a perl fix for AppleRTC.kext, adding back in SleepEnabler.kext and even a script called rip3 for Lion (latest version I could find)... even with all those in I still cannot get the cpu to power down,,,

Console message is as follows:

System sleep prevented by pci11c1,5811

Thought it may have had something to do with the Netkas IOPCIfamily.kext I have to use (as I cannot boot at all with the regular version of it...

No clue what I have to do here.... and am reluctant to mess around without any good advice as I somehow managed to upset the system clock in all of this,,,, was around 7 hours out on reboot! =(

Hope you or someone who knows what they're about can help with this problem,,,,

Thanks as always

Take your FireWire card out / disable it in bios if it's on board. See if it sleeps then.

With a pc installer of chameleon (afaik doesn't exist atm) you could probably make the installer on a pc but without access to a mac you can't download a copy of os x making the process illegal hence in keeping with the ethos of this forum I haven't explored that option...

Hi, I've previously had a running ML system installed by a different method. But the system would hang after a certain period. Upon re-installing to SL using the same method, the same problem persist. So I am assuming its not an OS issue..

I then did a search for an alternative method to install ML and stumbled upon your thread.

I think I have followed everything correctly, cept I had to choose MBR instead GUID because GUID wasn't readable.

Also I had to manually remove ATI6000controller.kext in order to install ML, else it won't proceed.

After installation, I'm faced with a KP, below is a screenshot of it.

Would appreciate any help on what went wrong.

Thank you in advance.

post-650759-0-25821000-1345553126_thumb.jpg