Permanently Banned From Tonymacx86

mnfesq

752 posts in this topic

pandora and myhack don't supply sources to the binaries/kexts they include either, in fact I don't know of any package installers that do really

It's not required, but you have to mention that the code was published under the GPL and you'll have to tell the recipient where or how he can get the source. Providing it on request is also ok. But it's definitely not ok to prohibit redistribution of the derived work. That's what I wanted to point out.

Things become complicated when you create a bundle of GPL and proprietary software. The GPL's rules don't apply to the proprietary parts of it but with regard to the bundle's license you can't take away rights that the GPL granted to recipients because the GPL does not allow for that as it creates a chain of rights that must not be broken. In practice this means that tonymac is allowed to keep the source of his installer secreted, but he can't prohibit the redistribution of the whole bundle as this would break the chain of rights making the bundle illegal.

Mieze

Edited by Mieze
  • Like 1

Well, I remember it was you who made false claims about me violating the GPL one and a half years ago and it looks like you haven't understood the GPL yet. I wonder why a person like you is talking such nonsense over and over again? Maybe you have a problem with me? Or is it you who still hasn't managed to grow up?

Of course they can do whatever they want with their work but as they included work that was published under the GPL into it, they'll have to publish it under the same conditions and are not allowed to put further restrictions onto it. Even big companies had to learn that the hard way.

Mieze

Mieze,

First of all. I do not have anything against you. Not personally. Nothing more than not liking the constant bickering here, that goes on for ever already, about the (people on) other site. To me that is immature. You have to take this up with the people involved. That is what I do. Confront people when I have an issue with them. Just don't do that behind here, because that is wrong.

About that false claim. You are talking nonsense. Not that it matters of course, because it has nothing to do with this "event".

Note: Add a link with that so called false claim, as a references, and then go ask the GNU people why I am so involved with the GNU public license since 2007.

Mieze,

First of all. I do not have anything against you. Not personally. Nothing more than not liking the constant bickering here, that goes on for ever already, about the (people on) other site. To me that is immature. You have to take this up with the people involved. That is what I do. Confront people when I have an issue with them. Just don't do that behind here, because that is wrong.

Well, that's exactly what I did. I tried to discuss things with MacMan and the result was that I got banned by him. A lot of people in this thread have a similar story to tell because banning is the way the tonymac crew handles dissent. Basically, it's what this thread is all about.  :lol:

With regard to the other thing, it's off-topic so that I suggest we discuss this in private in case you feel any need to go further into it.

Mieze

Well, that's exactly what I did. I tried to discuss things with MacMan and the result was that I got banned by him. A lot of people in this thread have a similar story to tell because banning is the way the tonymac crew handles dissent. Basically, it's what this thread is all about.  :lol:

With regard to the other thing, it's off-topic so that I suggest we discuss this in private in case you feel any need to go further into it.

Mieze

Mieze,

I don't know what tone that discussion was in, because I was not involved, obviously, but you may as well have been banned for say yelling or bad mouth. Listen. I'm not here to defend or accuse you, nor anybody else for that matter, but I just think that people who have issues with someone else, that they should speak to that person and not drag it into some hate campaign.

Look at it this way. You clearly don't like what is going on. And I can relate to that, to a certain degree, but don't let anyone try to lower your standards! Ever! Keep up your chin girl. You are doing an amazing job, and we here all know that. Nobody here is against you. We all love what you are doing, but some of us don't like to read stuff like this. Even if that isn't your fault/mistake. It may hurt what that other person did/does, but again. Keep up your chin… you're too good to be dragged into this. Just continue the great work that you are doing… because we here, we all love it!

Respect,

Piker

• Like 3

MyHack's not open source. For quite a while now.

That's because tmx86 ripped it off and produced [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url]. Conti, the developer of that, has quite a long rant on it.
  • Like 2

I suspect some of the strong feels are due to MB being a pretty nice installation package and people wanting some sort of recognition for their contributions above and beyond what is required.

It's kind of amazing really that there isn't a Homebrew cask that just yanks the {censored} out of a repository and allows someone to have an alternate installer. That's actually a really fascinating question — has that ever been attempted before?

Ninja edit: this is actually me volunteering to PM and help manage a project like that if anyone wanted to give it a whirl. 

You can tell from reading the last few pages which people have had their hard work ripped off and which people haven't.  Those people that don't know what it's like to see someone else take credit for your hard work just can't understand how upsetting that is.  For me, the Tonymac folks didn't steal my work.  They simply dumped it into the trash.  I was pretty upset by that.  If you haven't had the misfortune of such an experience, consider yourself lucky and stfu.

• Like 4

Stolen?

@theconnactic:

4:  conforming to recognized principles or accepted rules and standards <a legitimate advertising expenditure> <a legitimate inference>

So yes, something can be "legitimate" (legal in form) and not "legitimate" (because it fails to comply with recognised ethical principles and accepted ethical rules and standards) at the same time. An accessory and annoying consequence of the fact one word has a broader sense than the other, I think... ?

But yes, I might as well rephrase it for the sake of clarity.  :D Am I right to state that the only legitimacy you really care here is the formal (legal) one?

Well, obviously I don't think it is immoral to use software that is published and licensed under a permissive license in accordance with that license. I don't think there is even an interesting ethics question in doing so. I think if there is an expectation of something above and beyond that, it shouldn't be something held secret in the hopes that someone would know otherwise.

I think I favor the agreed-upon and defined expectations for that reason, and since I generally prefer people have absolute freedom to do what they want with something I give away for free, I generally (possibly never?) don't license anything under the GPL.

Everyone has to have the last word  :rolleyes:  {rolling my eyes} (or eye) :P

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I just wanted to share this tidbit of news with my friends from both boards. It seems that it was very wrong of me to recommend to a fellow member in a post that he try Nawcom's version of OSInstall.mpkg in order to install Lion on an MBR partition. In fact, it appears that it was very wrong of me to even acknowledge that OS X can be installed on an MBR partition. I was bad, very bad. And now, I have paid the price.

Hopefully, I will still see some of my Tonymac friends here.

attachicon.gifBanned.png

That defintily is piracy {sarcastic}.

• 3 weeks later...

I got banned as well after making many useful long posts until I mentioned one word 'Niresh' without a link to a poster asking for help with AMD system.  It's permanent ban.

I apoloized to the moderator and told him it won't happen again since I was a new user and wasn't aware that mentioning Niresh is a big NO-NO on thieir forum.  The moderator deleted all of my posts and he won't reinstate my account.  I can see they have "Contribution" at the top on their webpage and they can forget my financial support.  They're being unresonable, uncooperative and I won't participate on their forum if the moderator is being an ***hole.

He could have given me a temporary ban with an explaination but permanent ban is unjust and uncalled for.  At least he got broken threads with many deleted posts which no longer makes any sense. lol.

• Like 3

I got banned on Tonymacx86 too. Without any warning etc. But the reason is 100% false claim.

Well, as you were registered at tonymacx86, this claim is most definitely not false, I suppose, as you surely used and talked about recycled software without proper credits. :)

• Like 4

I guess that tonymacx86.com owners are making a good money on this tricky model of #####/#####. If you once use these, you are nailed to them. 

Well, as you were registered at tonymacx86, this claim is most definitely not false, I suppose, as you surely used and talked about recycled software without proper credits. :)

You are supposing..   :D

I was talking about FACTS.  Opinion <> Fact!!! 

Anyway,, I just listed the case here, to accompany this list here.

To the people like tonymac who stole my code and others, took credit and then did this for profit..

http://myhack.sojugarden.com/2011/07/hello-world/

They claim those software them? Such appleintell1000e.kext v.2.4.14 on [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url] 5 or some thing, after load the show up name kext from insanelymac.

So they steal and prevent people to steal from them?

• Like 2