10.6.8 officially released

shenor

371 posts in this topic

If it's GPU related you should be able to ssh into the machine from another on your network - or at least see the machine registered to the network.

I just replaced all the ATI kexts - Probably overkill but I couldn't be bothered messing around!

Just my luck. The last few times I plugged the drive in (into another computer), it gives me an error with the partition and mounts it as read-only. I can't revert to the 10.6.7 ATI kexts =/

Everything works fine after update from SU, but I must use pmVersion 23 and restore AppleHDA from 10.6.7 for sound. No new issue with the graphic card that keep with abnormal turn on and of.

ASUS P6T WS

Intel Core i7 920

SoundMax 2000b

NVIDIA Quadro FX 3800

Just my luck. The last few times I plugged the drive in (into another computer), it gives me an error with the partition and mounts it as read-only. I can't revert to the 10.6.7 ATI kexts =/

You wont have correct user permissions on another machine, I wouldn't think!

Your best bet as I said, is to boot into a retail install disk and use terminal.

Copy the ATI kexts to a USB and boot to install disk.

to remove the kexts: rm -Rf /Volumes/YourHackHDD/System/Library/Extensions/ATI*

to copy kext from USB: cd /Volumes/YourUSB/FolderContainingATIKextz

cp -R ATI* /Volumes/YourHackHDD/System/Library/Extensions

Dont forget to clear caches (you can google for that.) using rm -RF /Volumes/YourHackHDD ........

And repair permissions using Disk Utility before you reboot.

D

no issue here. everything works fine. just one question: What is this "PCI configuration begin" anyway ? Didn't have it before 10.6.8. Obviously OS X doesn't like something about PCI bus or a device on it and reconfigures it, but what and why ?

Just upgraded on my DX58SO, no problems here. I'm using a full DSDT with sleep support, so the only necessary kext I have is FakeSMC along with a few other non-essentials such as VoodooHDA, Realtek driver, and the temp sensor kext. Video is fine on my GTX 285, audio output via my Griffin Firewave is working, as is input from the onboard audio.

Well thought everything went well, and then I logged in. Seems all my partitions on my 3 drives wont mount with the exception of my main system drive. UGH... And to top that off my user folders are on one of those drives!! Never had anything in fstab or the like. Everything always mounted on its own with no worries. I can go into Disk Utility and mount them no problems. And talk about slow as @#$%! I click something... wait.. wait... wait... then it comes up. and I am running my main system partition on an SSD! My 10.6.7 install boots in about 5 seconds this takes forever. I have already replaced the two kexts just to try it out, and nothing. Still wont mount those drives and partitions. I ALREADY KNOW I can put an entry in fstab, but why should I have to? Every upgrade works every time... This time? UGH

Ga-EP45-DS3l, 1 ssd (chameleon and system), 750gb, user files, 1Tb 4 partitions for all the drives (ccc tool backups)

If anyone has a good idea I am welcome to it, I have picked my brain clean by this point. I try something, copy back over from ccc tool and try again... Thank goodness for backups! ;)

Hello Gringo, guys, just to inform you that I updated my Shuttle XPC barebone (Core2Quad/Q9550/4GB/ICH7/MacPro3,1) with the combo update. Upon reboot, it seems it got past the [PCI Configuration begins] and lost ALC888 audio, as expected.

1. I also don't get the spin on the logo boot screen;

2. My VGA is a simple NVIDIA GeForce 8400GS and it's using the generic drivers, via DSDT injection ONLY (no GraphicsEnabler as older Chameleon versions never detected mine).

3. My PciRoot=1 and via DSDT also, Chameleon always detected it properly, since Leopard days...

4. Using latest chameleon binary via Chameleon Wizard (in this forum) and proper smbios.plist for MacPro3,1.

5. Audio ALC888 was fixed by (1) copying layout888.xml and new Platforms.xml files in AppleHDA's Resources folder, then (2) checking that the DSDT's Device (HDEF) is properly configured per other posts, and (3) bin-patching the AppleHDA binary (in MacOS) to replace 885 >> 888; although the latter don't know why it's suggested...

The lack of spinning wheel upon boot, related directly to the verbose (-v) output of [PCI Configuration begins] makes me think that it may not be related to the failing display driver; my card is pretty much generic...

EDIT: I get the same result in [PCI Configuration begin] every time... what is this thing checking?!?

[ PCI configuration begin ]
PCI configuration changed (bridge=7 device=1 cardbus=0)
[ PCI configuration end, bridges 7 devices 13 ]

Updated successfully, but networking is broken. Both WiFi and LAN doesn't work, also hangs for a while before login (although both devices are working perfectly on hardware level). Obviously a software bug. Seems like Apple has done some "improvements"

Other things seem to work properly. Well, sort of... System is slow sometimes

EDIT:

Networking issue is the same as with Lion. Namely Apple80211Monitor.bundle. Fix is also the same as for Lion.

EDIT2:

The real fix is to use

<key>SMboardproduct</key>
<string>Mac-F4208CC8</string>

in SMBIOS.plist plus newer Chameleon version that is able to load SMboardproduct key correctly. For me it was latest Chameleon trunk (1052). Thous Apple80211Monitor.bundle could be left alone.

Thank you very much for sharing that. Works perfectly for my wireless+sluggishness issue I had as well.

So in my case, i had couple of really strange things going, but nothing too big...

when first updated everything worked except my USB (my bluetooth recognized, but usb wireless cause some hanging in the usb, making me restart to get functioning usb again, but still partial)

after installing the iousbfamily from 6.7 everything back to work again.

but the strangest things that happened is,

in the past week i've played with my dsdt a little, and i also added my gfx (220GT)

when updated, i once loaded by mistake a dsdt without gfx injection (and in this case without ANY injection)

then i had some troubles booting and getting the PCI configuration begin, and didn't knew i disabled the injection (again was by mistake), so i loaded up my other help partition of osx (working 10.6.7) with graphic enable=yes, but it bricked graphic acceleration, i had to replace cards to get injection working again.

i tried once again to load without injection and again it made the same troubles.

something is bricking when the injection isn't right.

strange thing is, when the pci configuration is stuck, i can hear my audio interface get loaded (i get tiny 'click' sound from my monitors, whenever the device boot, but it only happening when the os already up, and in the desktop)

everything is cook here except iousbfamily. other then that verbose doe's not show anything, though on kernel.log i can see al the boot log

I experienced WiFi problems when I updated to 10.6.8. I had to pull out my WiFi card, which, oddly enough, was genuine Apple hardware (Airport mini-PCI-E) connected via a PCI-E adapter. See my sig for the specific Apple/Broadcom wifi model.

After I pull the Wifi card out, I have had no problems whatsoever. Btw, deleting the Airport card from the Network interfaces wasn't enough to fix the lag. I had to physically remove the card.

I haven't tested the sound yet.

Edit: No problems with sound.

EDIT: I get the same result in [PCI Configuration begin] every time... what is this thing checking?!?
Same here
[ PCI configuration begin ]
PCI configuration changed (bridge=5 device=1 cardbus=0)
[ PCI configuration end, bridges 4 devices 20 ]

but the spinning wheel is present.

maleorderbride

For proper credits, the info on fix is from nawcom's blog. Though it was for Lion, but works for SL too.

Hi I just notice that the my ALPS trackpad is not working out under the 10.6.8, trackpad driver isn't loaded from the kernel log. BTW I use voodoops2controller of Andy rewrote. But the ApplePS2Controller.kext and AppleACPIPS2Nub.kext from Slice works well.

Edit:

Solve it after using this from kexts.com trackpad.zip

Why does my wifi constantly disconnect and reconnect now? I'm using nawcoms 10.6.6 kernel.

Try to rename or delete:/System/Library/SystemConfiguration/Apple80211Monitor.bundle (recommend replace this file from 10.6.7 since I heard someone can't get network auto connected after deleting. But both of them work well)

Instead of waiting, go read post #8 in this thread.

Already delete it from /E/E, waiting for 10.6.8 version for make my hack sleep-able.

Or u mean i can modify something to make sleep work?

Can someone upload the 10.6.8 AppleACPI.kext and IOPCI.kext please? Thanks!

there is no AppleACPI.kext ( on mine at last , booting x64 :) ), only AppleACPIPlatform.kext and AppleAPIC.kext if you meant that. And a IOACPIfamily.kext.

the date for all these kext on my 10.6.8 is 1st August 2009, so I doubt that 10.6.8 changed them.

My installation started with 10.6.0, then combo to 10.6.6, then to 10.6.7, then to 10.6.8 . I myself tinkered only with the ATI.kexts, which changed a lot over the various update versions.

anyways, here are the ones I think you want ( ACPIplatform might be non-original, I dont remember , but AppleAPIC and IOPCI , IOACPIfamily is original Apple):

Archiv.zip

IOACPIFamily.kext.zip

the date for all these kext on my 10.6.8 is 1st August 2009, so I doubt that 10.6.8 changed them.

The updaters actually change the contents of the folders inside, the main kext folder is left untouched as the inside subdirectory "Contents" is the one being changed/updated. Usually, the main binary "/MacOS/" and the Info.plist files are the ones changing, with adding/removing "Plugins".

Why are people requesting the 10.6.8 kexts separately? Aren't they updated already? Did anyone try to see the running versions on their system via Terminal or System Profiler (go to Software > Extensions)?

I updated from 10.6.7 via combo update (always) to 10.6.8 and I have been reported that (or kextstat | grep -i kext):

com.apple.iokit.IOACPIFamily (1.3.0) --> Only binary changed 2011/6 -- Info.plist is from 2009/8

com.apple.driver.AppleACPIPlatform (1.3.6) --> Info.plist & binary changed 2011/6

com.apple.iokit.IOPCIFamily (2.6.5) --> Info.plist & binary changed 2011/6

If anyone can find out the 10.6.7 versions, please let us know--until I revert to them later in the day.

Cheers...

Could you or anyone please upload AppleACPIPlatform and IOPCIFamily.kext from 10.6.7 for me PLEASE

I forgot to backup these files :) My bad

I am using P4 but the way of installing Snow is just like AMD

Updated to 10.6.8: Everything works fine on arch x86_64:

Asus P5K Vanilla

Firmware: 1201

AC'97 enabled

ACPI 2.0 tables enabled

graphic card: GTX 470

dsdt dumped on Linux while GTX470 installed, manually corrected all warnings and installed following patches: speedstep for my Q6600, ALC833, Restart, NewHAPET then deleted some IRQs.

smbios: MacPro4,1

Kernel Flags: x86_64 -v GraphicsEnabler=Yes EthernetBuiltIn=Yes GenerateCStates=Yes GeneratePStates=Yes

Snow Leopard 10.6.8

Chameleon_2.0_RC5_r899 (prevents the 'Stop' at 'PCI configuration begin'. No need for rollback of AppleACPI.kext and IOPCI.kext) http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=231075

Kext in /E/E:

- LegacyAppleAHCIPortJMicronJMB36xSATA.kext (eSATA only)

- PlatformUUID.kext

- UUID.kext

- fakesmc.kext 3.1.0 (prevents the 'Stop' at 'PCI configuration begin'. No need for rollback of AppleACPI.kext and IOPCI.kext) http://www.projectosx.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=1643

Kext in /S/L/E:

- AppleGraphicsPowerManagement.kext (modified Info.plist for GTX 470)

- AppleHDA.kext (10.6.7 - 1.9.9f12 binary patched for ALC883 / microphone works)

- IOATAFamily.kext (modified for ICH9)

- AttansicL1Ethernet.kext (Mac Address changed to fit 00:1f)

- AppleLPC.kext (modified Info.plist for LPC Interface Controller 8086:2918)

Nvidia from latest MacBookPro update (If you need CUDA then keep these drivers and don't update to the latest retail nvidia drivers. OpenCL works on both here):

- GeForceVADriver.bundle

- NVDAGF100Hal.kext

- GeForce.kext

- NVDANV40Hal.kext

- GeForce7xxxGLDriver.bundle

- NVDANV50Hal.kext

- GeForceGA.plugin

- NVDAResman.kext

- GeForceGLDriver.bundle

Kext removed from /S/L/E:

- AppleTyMCEDriver.kext (ECC Parity Check / You don't have it thus you don't need it)

Evoke:

while sleep 1; do rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions/AppleTyMCEDriver.kext; done

to prevent it from load while updating to 10.6.8

Cheers