10.6.8 officially released

shenor

371 posts in this topic

Downloaded the combo update (rather than run software update), installed 10.6.8, restarted and...

All seems to work perfectly!

Running a Gigabyte G41M-ES2L mobo and retail installation of OSX through Tony Mac's [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] and [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] method. Can't confirm whether onboard sound works or not though, have no means of testing it as I use a Tascam US-144 USB sound card anyway.

All else seems fine though, fingers crossed...

Updated successfully, but networking is broken. Both WiFi and LAN doesn't work, also hangs for a while before login (although both devices are working perfectly on hardware level). Obviously a software bug. Seems like Apple has done some "improvements"

Other things seem to work properly. Well, sort of... System is slow sometime

EDIT:

Networking issue is the same as with Lion. Namely Apple80211Monitor.bundle. Fix is also the same as for Lion.

Hi, I have the issue you mentioned, my WIFI is BCM4312 and LAN is BCM5906, both of them are hangs after upgrade to 10.6.8, the system preference shows the LAN is connected but it doesn't. Anyway, login hangs about 5 seconds or more, this is boring even though it boot faster than before.

To Zprood

Try renaming Apple80211Monitor.bundle via Terminal like:

sudo -s
  mv /System/Library/SystemConfiguration/Apple80211Monitor.bundle /System/Library/SystemConfiguration/Apple80211Monitor.bundle.bak

Although I prefer not to replace/delete stock system files, but it is better then nothing.

EDIT:

The real fix is to use

<key>SMboardproduct</key>
 <string>Mac-F4208CC8</string>

in SMBIOS.plist plus newer Chameleon version that is able to load SMboardproduct key correctly (replace Mac-F4208CC8 with appropriate value according to your Mac model). Therefore Apple80211Monitor.bundle could be left alone, as is.

EDIT2:

See newer Chameleon version in post #96. Thanks to Gringo Vermelho for info.

installed successfully in my ASUS P8P67 Deluxe, 2600k, EAH6870 ASUS,

no problem at all, all rock!

sleep works, audio works, wake works, much more,

system little bit faster than before

in 10.6.7 i have an error in kernel.log

kxld[com.apple.kpi.unsupported] the symbol set has the following unresolved symbols,

but in 10.6.8

i got this,

vm_page_bootstrap: 2024493 free pages and 56275 wired pages
kext submap [0xffffff7f80800000 - 0xffffff8000000000], kernel text [0xffffff8000200000 - 0xffffff8000800000]
standard timeslicing quantum is 10000 us
mig_table_max_displ = 73
TSC Deadline Timer supported and enabled
AppleACPICPU: ProcessorId=1 LocalApicId=0 Enabled
AppleACPICPU: ProcessorId=2 LocalApicId=2 Enabled
AppleACPICPU: ProcessorId=3 LocalApicId=4 Enabled
AppleACPICPU: ProcessorId=4 LocalApicId=6 Enabled
AppleACPICPU: ProcessorId=5 LocalApicId=1 Enabled
AppleACPICPU: ProcessorId=6 LocalApicId=3 Enabled
AppleACPICPU: ProcessorId=7 LocalApicId=5 Enabled
AppleACPICPU: ProcessorId=8 LocalApicId=7 Enabled
calling mpo_policy_init for Quarantine
Security policy loaded: Quarantine policy (Quarantine)
calling mpo_policy_init for Sandbox
Security policy loaded: Seatbelt sandbox policy (Sandbox)
calling mpo_policy_init for TMSafetyNet
Security policy loaded: Safety net for Time Machine (TMSafetyNet)
Copyright (c) 1982, 1986, 1989, 1991, 1993
The Regents of the University of California. All rights reserved.

MAC Framework successfully initialized
using 16384 buffer headers and 4096 cluster IO buffer headers
IOAPIC: Version 0x20 Vectors 64:87
ACPI: System State [S0 S3 S4 S5] (S3)
PFM64 0xf10000000, 0xf0000000
[ PCI configuration begin ]
console relocated to 0xf10000000
PCI configuration changed (bridge=8 device=3 cardbus=0)
[ PCI configuration end, bridges 13 devices 16 ]
RTC: Only single RAM bank (128 bytes)
AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement: Turbo Ratios 19999
AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement: (built 16:44:42 Jun  7 2011) initialization complete

seems laptops are hit the hardest

my inspiron 1520 with mb4,1 smbios.plist chameleon2 rc5 anval 5.1.4 goes past pci init issues.

however it wont load complete. but power button does seem to work. like vid is missing.

reinstalling 10.6.7 with a modded dsdt with nvidia injected (old 09)

i also had SMBUS pci error could not find acpi path. (i didnt have smbus dev id in dsdt i think was issue.)

i restored the 2 files mentioned earlier and helped boot but wireless would not turn on.

im starting to think its partly related to my broadcom 4401 lan and the max dma mem 1024 issue.

EDIT: was Device (PCI0) _ADR changed to_UID ... replaced.. not added and it works. boots fast and fine with the proper smbios.plist for my model type matching to video power states for proper safari browser working... ( if i change to mbp3,1 graphics would stop on some sites) but now with UID seems to load but beachball for a few secs.. changed to mb4,1 and works better.

Well, i'm glad to hear other people have no isses. As for me, I downloaded the update manually, installed, got kext helper ready to install the old kexts after the update but after 2 minutes remaining, my video blanked out and went to a blue screen. I waited for an hour, nothing.

Rebooted, and got instant reboots.... No boot flag works. Glad I have a Fedora 14 disc. Soooo, I guess I have to redo everything... :(

Tried it on a HP Compaq DC7600, so don't try to update if you have this rig.

I also got have a G31m-ES2L and I tried updating to 10.6.8, however, I get a kernel panic in normal boot.

The kernel panic is something like this:

(there are some more info here but I will not type it)

Kernel Extensions in backtrace (with dependencies):
		 org.slice.driver.FakeSMCRadeon(1.0)@0x55b8e000->0x55b92fff
		 dependency: org.netkas.FakeSMC(2.7.2)@0x55b02000
		 dependency: com.apple.iokit.IOPCIFamily(2.6.5)@0x55b02000

(some more text here)

I can boot to safe mode fine.

I have an ATI Radeon 4550 which works fine with the previous versions. I've already added my device ids (ATI4600Controller.kext) and as a matter of fact, when I'm in safe mode, my resolutions are detected properly. BTW, my framebuffer is Peregrine.

I've used this FakeSMC: http://www.projectosx.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=1206 (this is what I've been using ever since)

I've rebuilt cache still nogo.

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Ok, this issue of mine was solved by reverting back IOPCIFamily and AppleAPCIPlatform kexts as was suggested in the eariler post :censored2: Do we have to wait for an updated kexts for these? Its kinda weird because previous updates, I never had this issue. I wonder what was changed with those kexts.

BTW, make sure you use BOTH kexts, repair and rebuild permissions and you should be done.

Thanks again.

Just rolled back to the ATI kexts from 10.6.7 and XFX 5770 works fine again.

Confirming this works for me too (god knows what i did last night :censored2: ). Would love to know what the deal is!

I tried Hoolock with the 10.6.8 ATI kext and it KP'd. didn't try any others.

I've just rolled back ATI Kexts and AppleHDA

I've not touched IOPCIFamily or AppleACPIPlatform ..

D

Hi, I have the issue you mentioned, my WIFI is BCM4312 and LAN is BCM5906, both of them are hangs after upgrade to 10.6.8, the system preference shows the LAN is connected but it doesn't. Anyway, login hangs about 5 seconds or more, this is boring even though it boot faster than before.

I also had problem with BCM4311, solved setting SMboardproduct in smbios.plist

http://blog.nawcom.com/?p=763

Your ethernet should work with this

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=247470

I don't know if anyone can help me. I loaded 10.6.8 via software update. Had to revert AppleHDA and IOUSBFAMILY from 10.6.7. Everything worked fine except when I put in any external USB drive (USB Stick, Expansion drive) it does not show up in Finder or in Disk Utility. USB itself works fine (mouse, keyboard are usb). If i go to system profile and check my usb ports, it shows my external drive name and usb stick name. I just don't get access to them. Even so, vmware fusion sees those devices and if i tell it to connect, it opens them up in Windows XP just fine.

Any tips?

UPDATE: Well, i just wanted to update my own post with the solution I found for anyone else that might be having this issue. I am running an HP DV4T-1300SE laptop. All I had to do was restore IOUSBMassStorageClass.kext from my 10.6.7 Install in addition to AppleHDA and IOUSBFamily.kexts. Running 10.6.8 with everything working.

well I'm curious too how to replace kexts with DVD installer? because it always in read-only mode using terminal on the DVD installer :(

I don't know what to say, it just works.

I have the 10.6.3 retail DVD "restored" via Disk Utility to a hard drive partition and I use it for recovery stuff whenever something like this happens. I thought it was overkill to keep an entire installation of OS X just for this purpose.

All existing volumes are mounted R/W (except the install DVD partition but that's fine) and I don't have to do anything.

So, I ran Terminal and did this:

cd /Volumes/[name of flash drive]

cp -R blablabla.kext /Volumes/[name of system drive]/System/Library/Extensions

Then I fixed permissions/ownership, you can do this in Terminal or run Disk Utility.

Nothing special.

CSTInfo was renamed/changed to AICPMVers.

Try running

ioreg -lw0 | grep AICPMVers

Not sure if the functionality remains the same though.

Thanks JB, I see AICPMVers in ioreg.

Thanks regae for posting what this looks like on a working system, hopefully somebody can figure out what it means:

PFM64 0xf10000000, 0xf0000000
 [ PCI configuration begin ]
 console relocated to 0xf10000000
 PCI configuration changed (bridge=8 device=3 cardbus=0)
 [ PCI configuration end, bridges 13 devices 16 ]

My PC just hangs* on "PCI configuration begin" with the 10.6.8 IOPCIFamily and AppleACPIPlatform kexts.

It looks like something that's fixable via DSDT, maybe PCI devices/PCI bridge needs to be declared in a more Apple-like way now.

*techincally it doesn't, what happens is all display activity stops, but it actually continues to boot. Hmm actually that sounds more like a video card specific problem.. I do have a GTX 460 which is apparently still not supported in the 10.6.8 nvidia drivers.

/EDIT - here's another one that works (MSI board w/ P55 chipset + Core i5) it looks like it's doing it's thing twice:

IMG_3840.JPG

And (now in bigger letters) for those with wireless issues:

The real fix is to use
<key>SMboardproduct</key>
<string>Mac-F4208CC8</string>

in SMBIOS.plist plus newer Chameleon version that is able to load SMboardproduct key correctly (replace Mac-F4208CC8 with appropriate value according to your Mac model). For me it was latest Chameleon trunk (1052).

Chameleon 2.0 RC5 SVN Trunk r1061 attached here:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t&p=1703409

You can find the correct SMboardproduct for your model identifier by typing "MyModelIdentifierX,Y DMI" into google (no quotes).

If you don't know what your model identifier is, look in System Profiler.

Follow the google search hits that lead to Linux bug reports from people running Linux on real Macs, usually all the smbios.plist data can be found in these reports. Here's one for MacPro3,1 for example:

http://www.mail-archive.com/ubuntu-bugs@li...msg2227144.html

Scroll down a little bit and you can see all the juicy DMI data for your smbios.plist. dmi.board.name corresponds to SMboardproduct.

Note that since Chameleon 2.0 RC5 svn 1036 all instances of "manufacter" in smbios.plist must be changed to "manufacturer".

Confirming this works for me too (god knows what i did last night :D ). Would love to know what the deal is!

I tried Hoolock with the 10.6.8 ATI kext and it KP'd. didn't try any others.

I've just rolled back ATI Kexts and AppleHDA

I've not touched IOPCIFamily or AppleACPIPlatform ..

D

I may be experiencing the same issue. During the update itself, I let it running, and when I came back (combo update btw) the screen was black. Did a hard reset and haven't been able to get it to boot again. I tried repairing via disk utility, and reinstalling the update through another computer. It just seems to hang, I don't think it's the ACPI issue.

I am using a 5750 card. Hmm, which kexts do I need?

@3.14r2 Gringo Vermelho oldnapalm

Thanks for the suggestion, I follow your method and get a good result, there is no hangs login, wireless problem. No need to replace some kexts from 10.6.7 and the new chameleon works great.

Thanks again.

Edit:

It seems that the wireless location is change. For me, it is in the \_SB.PCI0.LPCB.EC0.RP02.WLD1 under 10.6.7, but after upgrade, it is in the \_SB.PCI0.RP02, so just move the code to the here. Here is the last screenshot:

post-459659-1308983698_thumb.png