10.6.8 officially released

shenor

371 posts in this topic

Hi folks. For those who have a similar Hackintosh rig as mine, it is safe to update without any problems.

I downloaded both the Delta as well as the Combo 10.6.8 update DMG files. Ran only the 10.6.8 Combo updater, after taking a backup of to ACPI and IOFamily kexts. Rebooted, I found it faster to have reduced the time by around 4-5 seconds. But then, I have tons of things loading such VMware, and other autoloading apps, daemons.

Now, after 5 days extensive brutal testing including multiple A/V conversions, Safari+Firefox, iTunes, Word, and toast running simultaneously, I can say, the 10.6.8 update on my rig is rock solid stable.

However, I was moving about 500GB+ data from my WD 1TB to Seagate 2TB (new HDD), I found it to be damn slow. Both HFSJ partitions on GPT disks. Dunno why it was this slow!? Usually, I see speeds around 60-80MBps. This time it dropped severely to about 6-10MBps; even lower at times. Checked it in Activity Monitor. And, also iStat.

To verify this, I ran Xbench and GeekBench 32 bit and 64 bit tests. They scored higher than 10.6.7 tests, but across multiple tests, the hdd data transfer tests varied significantly. Low-High, like that.

Wonder what is the issue. I request anyone else facing such low speed data transfer / lag issues, report here or maybe post a new topic thread... Ou can check out my sig for specs and details.

Regards,

Freaky Chokra :hysterical:

I managed to update using Combo Updater. Had the sluggishness problem.

Installed Chameleon RC5 Latest SVN Trunk (1061)... well actually just replaced my previous boot file with the one from RC5 as i didn't want to mess-up my quad-boot setup.

Had to change 32-bit flag from "arch=X86_32" to "arch=i386" in /Extra/com.apple.Boot.plist. RC5 wouldn't boot into 32-Bit with the previous flag while RC4 didn't have any problems previously.

Created an SMBIOS.plist using MacBook2,1 and placed it in /Extra. My processor is T7200 comparable to MacBook2,1.

...and thats it, no other thing altered :-)

Thanks to all the wonderful people at InsanelyMac and other Hackint0sh Forums.

I had the same problem with my AMD Phenom and had to drop back to the 10.6.0 kernel as both the 10.7.0 and 10.8.0 kernels after a few minutes would cause the graphics to corrupt and then MacOS would freeze.I also had this same problem with 10.6.7. using the 10.7.0 kernel so I had to use the 10.6.0 kernel there also.

Updated directly from Software Update with no problem. It went smooth as butter.

I had to reinstall AppleHDA from 10.6.3 for my audio.

The boot time is really smaller when compared to 10.6.7.

Gigabyte EP45-UD3LR + Cartri Mac edition BIOS

I had the same problem with my AMD Phenom and had to drop back to the 10.6.0 kernel as both the 10.7.0 and 10.8.0 kernels after a few minutes would cause the graphics to corrupt and then MacOS would freeze.I also had this same problem with 10.6.7. using the 10.7.0 kernel so I had to use the 10.6.0 kernel there also.

I also had this problem and freeze frames, now after reviewing the BIOS and change some options seem to be more stable, not how long but now I have all afternoon with the machine on without problem, fingers crossed, sorry for my English (google translator)

The update went smooth, but I get these in kernel.log

Jun 29 23:13:55 slAve kernel[0]: Refusing new kext com.apple.kpi.mach, v10.8: a loaded copy with a different executable UUID is already present.
Jun 29 23:13:55 slAve kernel[0]: Refusing new kext com.apple.kpi.private, v10.8: a loaded copy with a different executable UUID is already present.
Jun 29 23:13:55 slAve kernel[0]: Refusing new kext com.apple.kpi.unsupported, v10.8: a loaded copy with a different executable UUID is already present.
Jun 29 23:13:55 slAve kernel[0]: Refusing new kext com.apple.kpi.iokit, v10.8: a loaded copy with a different executable UUID is already present.
Jun 29 23:13:55 slAve kernel[0]: Refusing new kext com.apple.kpi.libkern, v10.8: a loaded copy with a different executable UUID is already present.
Jun 29 23:13:55 slAve kernel[0]: Refusing new kext com.apple.kpi.bsd, v10.8: a loaded copy with a different executable UUID is already present.
Jun 29 23:13:55 slAve kernel[0]: Refusing new kext com.apple.iokit.IOHIDFamily, v1.6.6: a loaded copy with a different executable UUID is already present.
Jun 29 23:13:55 slAve kernel[0]: Refusing new kext com.apple.iokit.IOPCIFamily, v2.6.5: already have loaded v2.6.3.
Jun 29 23:13:55 slAve kernel[0]: Refusing new kext com.apple.iokit.IOUSBFamily, v4.2.4: a loaded copy with a different executable UUID is already present.

I updated from a developer preview. Any idea how I can resolve this?

I had to patch gma950 kext and appleintegratedframebuffer in order to get correct screen on my eeepc.

After applying the new sleepenabler kext waking from sleep screens becomes black and only solution is to reboot.

For the moment I found no solution (even changing AppleACPIPlatform and IOPCIFamily kexts)

seems like the system forgets brightness value.Any clue? thanks

I did it the same way for my eeePC 1000H. Funny to see that I have the same problem with my other Hack: When accessing App Store to install a software an error occurs: No GUID available...

Already mentioned solutions for this issue did not work for me.

Already discussed earlier in the thread. Jesus Christ people!!

Don't crosspost, I've deleted your identical post in the Fermi thread.

You cannot install the drivers from nvidia if your model identifier is not MacPro3,1, 4,1 or 5,1, this is clearly stated on the driver download page.

See post #183 in this thread to learn how you can modify the installer and remove the model identifier check yourself.

---

Apple has released the 10.6.8 sources and there are exciting news on the "PCI Configuration Begin" freeze issue on Netkas' blog: http://netkas.org/?p=852

Thanks to Oleg's patched 10.6.8 IOPCIFamily.kext I can now boot without freeze and use single user mode again.

The spinner is back too in non-verbose boot.

i had just finish upgrading from 10.6.7 to 10.6.8 using combo update and installing the new legacy kernel 10.8.0.

it's just that the processor is not appearing as i thought it shows Unknown. i use for the time being my other processor AMD Athlon +6000 x2

3.1GHZ to test.but it won't show on the system profiler.

i had to remove from System/Library/Extension the following

AppleIntelCPUmanagement.kext

Apple16X50Serial.kext

follow the instruction to use the following kexts from 10.6.7

IOPCIFamily.kext

AppleACPIPlatform.kext

Everything works well.

my only problem is the system profiler about the display card for which i'm using nvidia gt210 and the processor detail..any suggestion on how to solve this issue?

thanks for your time

post-340293-1309451251_thumb.jpg

post-340293-1309451414_thumb.jpg

post-340293-1309451766_thumb.jpg

For those with a AD1988B soundchip (like me) download the following AppleHDA.kext to fix your dead sound after upgrading to 10.6.8.

http://www.kexts.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=1394

- Make sure your DSDT.AML matches the one that the uploader describes.

- unzip the kext and rename the directory to .kext

- delete /System/Library/Extensions/AppleHDA.kext

- copy downloaded kext to /System/Library/Extensions

cp -R AppleHDA.kext /System/Library/Extensions

- mod the kext to the correct values

chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions/AppleHDA.kext

chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions/AppleHDA.kext

reboot and boot with -f to force a kextflush

Cheers,

Maxi

(...) the system profiler about the display card for which i'm using nvidia gt210 and the processor detail..

"I can has model" (in your System Profiler screenshot) is from Diabolik's old injector NVKush.

This is the original site: http://diabolik1605.com/DHF/

NVKush is from August 2008 and the target nvidia cards were 7000 and 8000 series. It's obsolete.

To fix your issues, upgrade to Chameleon 2.0 RC5, set GraphicsEnabler=y in /Extra/com.apple.Boot.plist and delete NVKush.kext.

This should take care of the CPU as well. Your CPU will be faked/identified as a Core 2 Duo or Xeon Quad Core depending on how many cores it has. This is done on purpose for compatibility reasons, Apple don't use AMD CPUs.

There's a fairly recent SVN build of Chameleon 2.0 RC5 attached to this thread a couple of pages back:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t&p=1703409

I did it the same way for my eeePC 1000H. Funny to see that I have the same problem with my other Hack: When accessing App Store to install a software an error occurs: No GUID available...

Already mentioned solutions for this issue did not work for me.

Got it: Added EFI-String for Ethernet to boot.plist for my eeePC now everything is working, no more "No GUID is available" in App Store.

For my Gigabyte Hack I combined GFX and Ethernet-String with OSX86Tools and put in boot.plist as well, with success.

Could be helpful for other guys, EthernetBuiltIn=Yes, deleting NetworkInterface.plist and so on... did not work for me. EFI String does help for me.

configd keeps crashing, system is very slow and unresponsive, drives don't mount automatically, wifi is disabled, boot takes longer, ...

Horrible update for AMD. Nawcoms package didn't help either.

With Intel I had no problems.

I installed 10.6.3 over the installation and it worked normally. As soon as I updated the issues were back. I have no idea what to do or if there will be a fix.

Got it: Added EFI-String for Ethernet to boot.plist for my eeePC now everything is working, no more "No GUID is available" in App Store.

For my Gigabyte Hack I combined GFX and Ethernet-String with OSX86Tools and put in boot.plist as well, with success.

Could be helpful for other guys, EthernetBuiltIn=Yes, deleting NetworkInterface.plist and so on... did not work for me. EFI String does help for me.

Thanks for the tip app store is working with efi injection but the withdrawal is that sleepenabler doesn't in the mean time!

Yes there are plenty of suggestions if you bother to read the thread.

Read the thread completely multiple times unfortunately nothing I tried worked. Ended up booting up Retail Install disk backing up my user folder via terminal then reinstalling then manually updating. Repaired permissions through safe mode since the OS booted to scrambled desktop after kernel replacement. Thanks Douggie for the SLKexts fixed my non-scrolling finder windows and other weird graphic anomalies! Thanks Guys!

Setup

-----------

Acer Aspire One 150

1.5 GB Ram

160GB Hard drive

Dell 1490 Wireless card

AOA_150_1068.tiff

According to bcc9

Ok, I was able to fix the console logging problem after "PCI Configuration Begin" is displayed simply by adding:

npci=0x2000 to the kernel boot flags. Ie in com.apple.Boot.plist:

<key>Kernel Flags</key>

<string>-v arch=i386 npci=0x2000</string>

no kext or DSDT hacking required.

Big thank to bcc9.

I tested on my 945GCM-S2L + GT240.

edit#1

tested on EP45-UD3R + GT220

1. boot with "-v", then stuck at [PCI Configuration begin] --> press reset button --> boot with "-v npci=0x2000", then verbose went on until reached Desktop successfully.

or

2. boot without kernel flag --> no spinning wheel --> wait a bit --> got Desktop. (previously hung on boot screen because I did sth wrong with DSDT & com.apple.Boot.plist.)

I can confirm that the kernel flag: npci=0x2000 works perfectly on my already-booting mobo/barebone (Core2Quad as MacPro3,1) with Chameleon 1078 (via Chameleon Wizard). This is a great find. I get now to boot with the spinning wheel and (in verbose mode -v) go past the "PCI Configuration Begin" problem!

But what does npci do? Could not find a reference in Help (GUI) at all... Thank you all !

EDIT: Does this npci value affect the graphics adapter at all? I rebooted and launched iMove HD 6 to capture some DV video (via firewire) and the overlay/capture window was blue, all of a sudden... We have to know what this injected value means, for the kernel. Anyone?

...got it up and running here on a P4 ...still waiting for a decent SSE3 emulator....Andy???post-11772-1309539723_thumb.png

...had to use the 10.6.7 kexts mentioned in other posts....for the "pci configuration begin..." lockup

I can confirm that the kernel flag: npci=0x2000 works perfectly on my already-booting mobo/barebone (Core2Quad as MacPro3,1) with Chameleon 1078 (via Chameleon Wizard). This is a great find. I get now to boot with the spinning wheel and (in verbose mode -v) go past the "PCI Configuration Begin" problem!

But what does npci do? Could not find a reference in Help (GUI) at all... Thank you all !

EDIT: Does this npci value affect the graphics adapter at all? I rebooted and launched iMove HD 6 to capture some DV video (via firewire) and the overlay/capture window was blue, all of a sudden... We have to know what this injected value means, for the kernel. Anyone?

I can confirm that this fix affects the graphic card i.e no right click, system wide lag, dock animation acts weird.

I can confirm that this fix affects the graphic card i.e no right click, system wide lag, dock animation acts weird.

Dear JBraddock, do you have any idea what this npci value does to the kernel? You also seem to have an NVidia basic graphics adapter... Any idea where to start looking for this npci thing? Could it be related to a memory address of our graphics card?

It's 2 bytes long... Perhaps boot without it first, and then open up IORegistryExplorer and in our GFX0 section (which I inject via DSDT method) find and our own value for npci?

Really, anyone?

Dear JBraddock, do you have any idea what this npci value does to the kernel? You also seem to have an NVidia basic graphics adapter... Any idea where to start looking for this npci thing? Could it be related to a memory address of our graphics card?

It's 2 bytes long... Perhaps boot without it first, and then open up IORegistryExplorer and in our GFX0 section (which I inject via DSDT method) find and our own value for npci?

Really, anyone?

I don't know what it does but I can say it doesn't work for me. It still stucks at PCI beginning... along with the other issues if I manage to boot. (see some posts earlier)