• Please log in to reply
313 replies to this topic

T.B.B.

T.B.B.

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 32 posts
hmm thats really weird. well VLC doesn't work either. but any other player does! (try mplayer)
also chess and flash player are no problem. Though other 3D apps like Dolphin don't work yet.
You have also to regard that those drivers are still in dev. Thats why they are not activated yet. So they are not 100% functioning. I hope there will be stable drivers with the next lion update (i know its GM but there will be still updates). Also you can try to enable CI.

http://netkas.org/?p=794

let me know if that improves your situation

mayhemm88

mayhemm88

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 30 posts
Hmmm... At this point
I have to agree with the fact that it must be a driver bug because sometimes (one out of ever 20 boots) I can load 3d apps including Dolphin just fine. I also tried enabling OpenCL but that actually made it worse and broke flash player and VLC for me.

Right now, the only thing that doesn't work for me is 3D Apps/Games. Otherwise the system is running flawlessly.

Naitec

Naitec

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
I can confirm what mayhemm88 is saying: Everything works right flawlessly, except the 3D Apps/Games stuff and Video Playback. However, I think this will work within a few weeks and until now the whole system doees exactly what I want it to do ;)

mayhemm88

mayhemm88

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 30 posts
Well, I haven't given up on getting the 3d acceleration working and I think I have found a temporary solution. by booting with the -v flag I am able to run 3d applications just fine. This means the problem is likely how the driver is being loaded at boot time, and may have to do with driver caching

Does anyone know a way to force the driver to load every time at boot rather than having it cached?

Naitec

Naitec

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
I'll test this tomorrow when I'm back at home. THank you mayhemm88 for figuring this out btw ;)

mayhemm88

mayhemm88

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 30 posts
After hours of playing around with my boot.plist based on a hunch my intuition has paid off. The problem appears to be a bug related to the GraphicsMode key in /Extra/boot.plist. To enable 3D acceleration if you are having problems you must edit the file so that the GraphicsMode key is blank like this.

[codebox]<key>Graphics Mode</key>
<string></string>
[/codebox]

I have tried rebooting five times now, and everything is working 100% ;)

T.B.B.

T.B.B.

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 32 posts
@mayhemm88: i can confirm this. I've edited the starting thread.

Naitec

Naitec

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
I'll try ASAP; I can't wait to use my hackintosh with 100% functionality :(
Thanks for figuring this out mayhemm88!

hannibal1969

hannibal1969

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Donators
  • 75 posts
  • Interests:MAC OSX and Apps | Hackintosh | Hardware | Gadgets | Tits, Cameltows and Asses
@mayhemm88: Impressive finding.

Just 3 noob questions:

1) Im using GTX580 and I could activate native resolution and some screensavers are working. No QE-CI is working because i dont see the ripple effect when adding applets to the F12 screen. 3D acceleration is that the same as QE-CI ?

2) My Boot list was empty so no "Graphics Mode" entry. Do I still need to adjust my boot list and add the above code to it ?

3) To activate the full capabilities of the GTX580 are only Dev ID adjust of NV100.kext + GraphicsEnabler=Yes is necessary ? I know i need to adjust the geforcebundle as well for OpenCL. I see different methods for adding the dev-id. The Dev ID should changed to 1080 for the GTX580 but what must be included behind &amp ? I mean:

0x108010de&amp;0xffe0ffff
0x108010de&amp;0xffc0ffff
0x108010de&amp;0x00000000

What does the bold code mean ?

Thx .... the upcomming evening / night is reserved to get the GTX580 fully working :-)

mayhemm88

mayhemm88

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 30 posts

@mayhemm88: Impressive finding.

Just 3 noob questions:

1) Im using GTX580 and I could activate native resolution and some screensavers are working. No QE-CI is working because i dont see the ripple effect when adding applets to the F12 screen. 3D acceleration is that the same as QE-CI ?

2) My Boot list was empty so no "Graphics Mode" entry. Do I still need to adjust my boot list and add the above code to it ?

3) To activate the full capabilities of the GTX580 are only Dev ID adjust of NV100.kext + GraphicsEnabler=Yes is necessary ? I know i need to adjust the geforcebundle as well for OpenCL. I see different methods for adding the dev-id. The Dev ID should changed to 1080 for the GTX580 but what must be included behind &amp ? I mean:

0x108010de&amp;0xffe0ffff
0x108010de&amp;0xffc0ffff
0x108010de&amp;0x00000000

What does the bold code mean ?

Thx .... the upcomming evening / night is reserved to get the GTX580 fully working :-)

Just copy whatever is after the &amp from the line above the one you are adding. That is what worked for me. For the OpenCL hack you need a hex editor. That one is a little more advanced. I'd stay away from hex editing driver files... but that might just be my sysadmin experience talking

and add the key <key>GraphicsEnabler</key>
<string>Yes</string>

if you are having trouble booting boot with the flag npci=0x2000

pierrandre

pierrandre

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts
in one unique thread you makes me happy
my GTX 570 worked straight after applying modifications on post #1
even 3D and QE-CI and dual screen too
thank you very much

just a glitch, but when I start after loading the right boot disk in Chameleon, I just have a white Apple Logo in the top left corner, then a black screen and then both of my screens show white and then the desktop... not a big deal, but it's not so nice as a gray background and an Apple for loading screen.

hannibal1969

hannibal1969

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Donators
  • 75 posts
  • Interests:MAC OSX and Apps | Hackintosh | Hardware | Gadgets | Tits, Cameltows and Asses
I can confirm that the instructions are working for me now.

Indeed I have a left upper corner apple logo too but thats it.

2 things I noticed:

1) Cinebench is not performing on full speed of the GTX580 i get 11.59 fps benchmarking OpenGL
2) Your Cuda driver download is obsolete. There is a newer version on the nvidia website version 4.019 instead of 4.018 you linked too.

Does somebody know ho to force the video card operating at higher clocks / other power profile ?

Thx

mayhemm88

mayhemm88

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 30 posts
The upper corner apple logo is a result of disabling the graphics mode key. I'm not really too concerned about getting it in the right place either so long as my system works. If someone else wants to try, be my guest.

Also in regards to the gpu performance remove applegraphicspowermanagement.kext from /S/L/E by moving it to a backup folder. It worked for my GTX 570. be warned though, deleting kexts can cause kernel panics if you aren't careful

hannibal1969

hannibal1969

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Donators
  • 75 posts

remove applegraphicspowermanagement.kext from /S/L/E by moving it to a backup folder. It worked ...

Whoohoo Cinebench boost from 11.59 to 43.78 fps !!!

Finally i get rid off my old 2nd card the GT240 for OSX!

update:

Day of Defeat: Source 178 fps @ 2560X1440
Counterstrike:Source 160fps @ 2560X1440

TouchMyBox

TouchMyBox

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts
Nice, this worked with my GTX 580, but when I went to play portal 2, it locked up my machine with graphical artifacts everywhere.

Put in my 5870 and it worked fine. :rolleyes:

camoguy

camoguy

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts
Instead of throwing AGPM.kext out, I modified it for my card. Once I restarted, my benchmark scores went through the roof.

My system is a MacPro4,1 with the GraphicsEnabler=yes option, GraphicsMode 1920x1200x32, I was using dsdt for the graphics solution before but I went back to a regular dsdt file.

Attached File  Screen_Shot_2011_07_19_at_1.42.18_AM.png   58.65KB   365 downloads

T.B.B.

T.B.B.

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 32 posts
@camoguy: could you post your modified next for other users?

hannibal1969

hannibal1969

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Donators
  • 75 posts

Instead of throwing AGPM.kext out, I modified it for my card. Once I restarted, my benchmark scores went through the roof.

Thats even more perfect,

How did you adjust that file ? My GTX580 has indentifier 1080, in your example you modified a dev id 1200 card. Should I copy your part or another part and adjust the dev id to 1080 and fill in your values ?

I kicked AGPM out of the library but I think my card has even more potential because the fans aren't spinning up running Cinebench and the cards stays at ambient temps.

Glad I made a copy of the AGPM so I can dig into this tonight. But a little more indepth instructions are realy welcome :hysterical:

Off topic: Lion is much more picky regarding overclocking. Windows runs 24 X 7 stable at 4,4Ghz, In lion I had to lower it to 4,1 GHz otherwise I got a panic with geekbench. But hey whatever it hits almost 14000 points.

VooD

VooD

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 781 posts
Does anybody know wether power management is working on 560 ti? I don't want to get the card just to discover is in full 3d mode clock all the time.

AdobeEditor

AdobeEditor

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 30 posts

Does anybody know wether power management is working on 560 ti? I don't want to get the card just to discover is in full 3d mode clock all the time.

So I also have the 560 Ti and I don't think the power management kext is working properly because I cannot have it sleep on command. It will usually reboot itself after a few seconds. Otherwise I am not sure but I don't think mine is running in full 3D clock mode all time, but if someone has a way to check I would be very grateful.

So I have tried the fix suggested and do get the white apple logo in the corner, instead of the center, on boot up, but I don't see any changes in my acceleration. I have the 560 Ti and am running Chimera bootloader...not sure of the version. Should I change to a newer version of Chameleon if it is available? I just built this about 4 weeks ago and Chimera had the newest most stable option in ##### then.

Also, when I boot, besides the symbol being out of place, is anyone's resolution looking weird? When I originally had the Graphics Mode key in the com.apple.Boot.plist file I was specifying a set resolution and here the res is of course much lower without that string. Is this because of my bootloader again or is it because the graphics card is not recognized until after this point?

My last question is about acceleration and performance within the basic functionality of the OS. I also tried the "fullscreen" apps with safari and preview and while they load, it is sometime choppy. Because this is basic functionality I wasn't sure if anyone had tried it and I feel that with any of these graphics cards there should be no problems with these few animations/transitions. When using Launcher the opening of folders also seemed jittery and I couldn't tell if my processor was trying to compensate for something that the graphics card wasn't doing. (My system also glitches when I was setting up a screen saver with my iTunes cover art...not sure if that is involved with my graphics card too.)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy