SpeedStepper (now supports Mountain Lion 10.8.3)

flAked

574 posts in this topic

I have found an easy method to patch Asus bios for speed stepping. You just need AMIAptioTool to identify the 2 CpuPei modules, extract them. Then do a search and replace on the two modules with a hex editor (all credits to DHP for this fix):

800018EB050D0080
to
000018EB050D0000 

There should only be one instance of this string in each module.

Then use the tool to replace the existing modules with the patched ones. Voila! Now I found that the AptioTool will work on 4Mb EFI bioses (such as the P8P67M-Pro) but not the new 8Mb ones (such as the Gene-Z). So I use Phoenixtools to replace the patched modules (it has an option to pause the patching so you can replace original modules in the DUMP directory with patched ones. This has worked for me on all bios variants for the P8P67M-Pro and Maximus IV Gene-Z.

REMEMBER that patching a bios is a risky business, so do so at you own risk.

Guys! You are the BEST! My Asus P8H67-I Deluxe don't need NullCpuPM anymore!!!

@flAked

just received patched bios, so I'm able to run Lion without patched AICPUPM, but I noticed some intresting behavior.

with patched AICPUPM i have PStates: 16,30,32,34,35,36,37,38 and GeekBench score ~11700

with oryginal AICPUPM and patched BIOS I have: 16 28 34 35 36 37 38 and GeekBench ~12900

My config:

i7-2600K

MSI Z68MA-ED55

Lion 10.7.1

Why there is performance difference ?

Some time ago I did other tests which now look very intresting - look at the performance in Snow - is also ~12900. I think there is some problem with SpeedSteper for Lion, but strange is also that i reached different PStates...

Edit:

Just found out that using oryginal AICPUPM and patched BIOS and GeneratePStates in Chameleon received similar situation to SpeedStepper:

16,30,32,34,35,36,37,38 and GeekBench score ~11700

Why there are different PStates using SpeedStepper and using patched BIOS ? Is that ok that there is worst performance ?

Edit 2:

when using turbo like 39,40,41,42 comp reached following PStates 16 32 34 39 40 41 42

Sorry flAked - my mistake... some coincidence - The better results are when you have CPU temperature avaible by IntelCPUMonitor - just found out...

the problem is that my CPU is only supported by that plugin in fakesmc version 3.1.0 and in that version autosleep is not working for me... Autosleep is working with FakeSMC 3.0.0, but plugins for that vesrion are not supporting my CPU, so there is no CPU temperature in system, so the benchmarks are worse...

It seems that PM is based on CPU temperature. Just want to notice that there are different PStates...

@manmal - Yes it works fine for hm65 laptops. I have an Asus U36SD with i5-2410M with HD3000 and Nvidia GT-520M.

I got speedstep working in 10.7 & 10.7.1 using a DSDT patch and speedstepper (without speedstepper i would get a kernel panic when trying to boot without NullCPU).

I have just updated to 10.7.2 final and it also required patching with speedstepper (otherwise, again, i would get a kp).

Which laptop do you have?

@manmal - Yes it works fine for hm65 laptops. I have an Asus U36SD with i5-2410M with HD3000 and Nvidia GT-520M.

I got speedstep working in 10.7 & 10.7.1 using a DSDT patch and speedstepper (without speedstepper i would get a kernel panic when trying to boot without NullCPU).

I have just updated to 10.7.2 final and it also required patching with speedstepper (otherwise, again, i would get a kp).

Which laptop do you have?

Similar hardware here, does 10.7.2 beta speedstepper work ?? Also need speedstepper or kp w/o nullcpu kext.

Currently i'm running 10.7.2 final using your SpeedStepper patch for 167.00

I modified my MacPro3,1 plist for SP13 from MacBookPro8,3

this is what i get after i boot up and have MSRDumper running:

Oct 14 03:23:18 Tylers-Mac-Pro kernel[0]: MSRDumper PStatesReached: 16 23 26 30 34 35 36 37

After i put the computer to sleep, kextunload, then reload MSRDumper i get this :/

Edit: Same PStates i got before adding the SP13/Data to MacPro3,1 plist :)

Oct 14 03:35:17 Tylers-Mac-Pro kernel[0]: MSRDumper PStatesReached: 16 35 36 37 38

I don't know why its doing that, but only seems to do it after the computer goes to sleep.

You can email me at lxlifestream@gmail.com

my board is Asus P8Z68 Deluxe

I'd be willing to test newer versions and give feedback.

I'm very.. well, i have to have every little thing working on my hackintosh or i'm not satisfied.

don'w work with 10.7.2

tha patcher says not allt whe value are found . ,

but it maybe crash

so.. indeed.. it crashes at boot

tried to use older 10.7.1 patched (and good) but nothing

so why?

I see the release date .. 10.7.2 does not contain newer appleintelcpu!!

don'w work with 10.7.2

tha patcher says not allt whe value are found . ,

but it maybe crash

so.. indeed.. it crashes at boot

tried to use older 10.7.1 patched (and good) but nothing

so why?

I see the release date .. 10.7.2 does not contain newer appleintelcpu!!

The beta patch does work.

I'm using it right now.

Before i updated, Using a real mac with 10.7.2 update i checked the version of AICPUPM using System Information under Extensions and was versioned at 167.00.

So i went ahead updated using Combo Update, rebooted using rBoot.

Patched using SpeedStepper patch for 10.7.2 Beta because it specifically says that its for AICPUPM v167.00 only.

Restarted and booted back up just fine.

edit:

ndMKN.jpg

Zotac H67ITX-C-E with i7-2600K CPU

BIOS Version

Core: 4.6.4.0

Project: A166P 0.20 x64

Build Date: 02/28/2011

SpeedStepper fix works great for Lion 10.7.1 to eliminate NullCPUPowerManagement. Doing so enabled power button and power dialog sleep, and wake from sleep also works. The power button blinks while in sleep mode.

Lion 10.7.2 crashes on the way down on restart or shutdown, no error messages, just the kill with power button message. Tried downgrading to patched AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement for Lion 10.7.1 but same issue. Tried DSDT fixes and dozens of other related things but nothing works. There were no other issues, I used the system for a day. It booted fine, restart and shutdown OK as long as I hadn't used sleep.

Under both versions of Lion Energy Saver invoked sleep only gets display sleep, system does not power down. Not much of an issue since I don't use it but would be nice when the system is left unattended.

The SpeedStepper fix is not needed for SpeedStep on this board, it works without it. It just eliminates the need for NullCPUPowerManagement, which is required to initially boot the system. I got a slight drop in Geekbench rating after installing SpeedStepper but nothing of any concern. My Cinebench has been as high 50 fps.

It would be nice if we could have the patches as separate run files, to test which is needed and not. Or better the code to tweak as needed for non ASUS boards.

This board is vanilla with a ATI Radeon HD 5770, doesn't need a DSDT except possibly for AppleHDA and HDMI audio. eSATA works too, haven't tested a RAID box but it should work.

Myself and a friend also have Intel HD3000 graphics working. Cinebench is about 11 fps, which is OK for a HTPC system.

Any ideas that might help get this working with Lion 10.7.2 would be appreciated.

Thanks

Hmm when i do that my cpu goes back to normal... No overclocking possible, look below.

How many steps do you have on your system?

3.10,11 5:27:05.000 PM kernel: MSRDumper CoreMulti(16)

3.10,11 5:27:05.000 PM kernel: MSRDumper PStatesReached: 16 33

Same here:

I installed SpeedStepper 10.7.2 beta in my Mac Lion 10.7.2, removed the NullCPU kext, added GeneratePStates and GenerateCStates, and rebooted, now I get PStatesReached 16 and 37, nothing in between.

I have a P8P67 Pro Rev 3.0 motherboard, with the DSDT.aml of Andy Package, no SSDT, no custom modified bios.

anyway, with just 2 states the cpu temperature seems to get lower on idle that without the patched CPUPM file.......

Same here:

I installed SpeedStepper 10.7.2 beta in my Mac Lion 10.7.2, removed the NullCPU kext, added GeneratePStates and GenerateCStates, and rebooted, now I get PStatesReached 16 and 37, nothing in between.

I have a P8P67 Pro Rev 3.0 motherboard, with the DSDT.aml of Andy Package, no SSDT, no custom modified bios.

anyway, with just 2 states the cpu temperature seems to get lower on idle that without the patched CPUPM file.......

Same problem here. I had speedster working in Snow Leopard, but in 10.7.2 I keep having only 2 Pstates 16 and 34 on my 2600k processor and P8P67 board.

I successfully ran the speed stepper program

I added 8086,1c46 to AppleLPC.kext for my P8P67

Copied the snow leopard "datadict" to iMac12_2.plist (apparently this was generating more Pstates)

set the BIOS to EIST enabled, CPU ratio enabled, C1E, C3, C6 enabled

I'm using Chameleon r1627 (not sure if that has any impact)

I'm also not using NullCPUPowermanagement, nor NullCPUPowerManagement anywhere.

So I'm a bit at a loss and have just set the over clock to the max turbo ratio at the expense of heat/power consumption

Anybody any idea what I am missing?

Update: Sorted

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...d=1762347

@dgsga,

Will this BIOS edit work on an Asus Laptop G74SX? I have to use the speed stepper to. Is there a link for all these tools and a Guide. I want to attempt this unless someone already has done a Bios Rom edit already for the Asus?

DO I grab the latest rom from Asus website and edit that then update the modified rom?

Edited:

Went to Asus grabbed the latest bios "G74SxAS.203". THis is not a rom or fd file, but more like an image file? How do I move forward? Sorry for slightly off topic maybe I have to find TheKing's thread. This has always been a dilemma for me. I have no idea where you guys get *.rom's from anymore with EFI Aptio and Asus download Bios. They are not in that format so I gave up years ago with this project.

I am also trying to do this in VMware Fusion Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit from the Mac 10.7.1 Host. Probably not a good idea either.

I can't believe after all these years how simple this was actually. Just open the image with all files selected. Then extract the 2 modules but which two?

I see the CPUPei one. I also see the CPUPeiBeforeMem, CORE_PEI, OEMPEI, ASUSPei. So once I extract it then hex it then import it back into mmtool then do the bios update to the PC?

Sorry for asking this here in this thread but I would like to attempt this. WHich two CPU modules do I need to mod?

Thanks

EDITED:

Extracted at least the CpuPei and unable to find 80 00 18 EB 05 0D 00 80 Hex string?

I see the CPUPei one. I also see the CPUPeiBeforeMem, CORE_PEI, OEMPEI, ASUSPei. So once I extract it then hex it then import it back into mmtool then do the bios update to the PC?

Sorry for asking this here in this thread but I would like to attempt this. WHich two CPU modules do I need to mod?

Thanks

EDITED:

Extracted at least the CpuPei and unable to find 80 00 18 EB 05 0D 00 80 Hex string?

you are close. On my MSI I had also only CpuPei and that was enough, but what is strange you are not able to find 800018EB050D0080. I also remember that when I was using some tool to search for that bits sth was wrong and I searched for few less bits like 050D0080 and found the whole string.

Remember to use flasher which verify checksum - if u did sth wrong you will have chance to not flash with corrupt file..

@iStigPL,

I just don't have that Hex string unless its not hex and something else? I disassembled the CpuPei in IDA Pro and kinda see what was posted from the link peebee01 posted above. Andy over there was unable to help me since he does not have my hardware to test. If I could get more information on how this string was original found by what trial and error method I would like to try.

I was playing around with disassemblers and debuggers several years ago for fun but back then I was able to use a debugger while a program was running to see at what point the program did what. I do not see how this could apply to a Bios and far as simulating it and debugging it, which if there is some way to do this, its way outside my scope of knowledge. Would need a link or some tutorial on how this was done I suppose. Someone will create one maybe one day?

Here is the closest string I found in my CpuPei:

80 00 10 00 00 13 E1 or

80 00 02 00 00 EB 0F 8D 85 74 FF FF FF 50 53 E8 21

I am using HxD free hex editor for windows. Used it for a long time and works well for me. I grabbed the Asus P8P67 Pro Bios 2001 and used HxD and found the string in that CpuPei so I know its not the Hex Editor. I have a feeling this Laptop has a different string

@ flAked

Hello We use your pach AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext on a laptop with a 4530 hp i5-2410m, the patch works, but it runs the cpu not a full power

both old kexts were made ​​by the cons function properly and without patch, I asked whether it is possible to extract a patch from those above in order to operate the new 10.7.2 kexts and have the full power of the cpu

kexts.zip

@iStigPL,

I just don't have that Hex string unless its not hex and something else? I disassembled the CpuPei in IDA Pro and kinda see what was posted from the link peebee01 posted above. Andy over there was unable to help me since he does not have my hardware to test. If I could get more information on how this string was original found by what trial and error method I would like to try.

I was playing around with disassemblers and debuggers several years ago for fun but back then I was able to use a debugger while a program was running to see at what point the program did what. I do not see how this could apply to a Bios and far as simulating it and debugging it, which if there is some way to do this, its way outside my scope of knowledge. Would need a link or some tutorial on how this was done I suppose. Someone will create one maybe one day?

Here is the closest string I found in my CpuPei:

80 00 10 00 00 13 E1 or

80 00 02 00 00 EB 0F 8D 85 74 FF FF FF 50 53 E8 21

I am using HxD free hex editor for windows. Used it for a long time and works well for me. I grabbed the Asus P8P67 Pro Bios 2001 and used HxD and found the string in that CpuPei so I know its not the Hex Editor. I have a feeling this Laptop has a different string

I downloaded your BIOS and also wasn't able to find that... In my bios it was there.

@ flAked

Hello We use your pach AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext on a laptop with a 4530 hp i5-2410m, the patch works, but it runs the cpu not a full power

both old kexts were made ​​by the cons function properly and without patch, I asked whether it is possible to extract a patch from those above in order to operate the new 10.7.2 kexts and have the full power of the cpu

you may be intrested in that topic - FakeSMC + ICPUM = better results ?

I downloaded your BIOS and also wasn't able to find that... In my bios it was there.

you may be intrested in that topic - FakeSMC + ICPUM = better results ?

no it does not work best with the kexts and AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext AppleIntelCPUPowerManagementClient.kext LION RC4 Geekbench score 5558

kexts with 10.7.1 or 10.7.2 of the patch with the method if it crashes at startup Geekbench 4692

@flAked,

QUOTE:

"If C-State configuration is locked in UEFI, then AICPUPM panics on boot and shows 0x2E in ECX in the verbose panic description."

From this Asus G74SX the Kernel Trap is not ECX but rather RCX? Same 0xE2 though. Is this the reason why I cannot find the Bios String everyone else has posted in this thread?

Pics:

post-135888-1319752229_thumb.jpg

The string right after RCX is 0x0000000000000e2

Zotac H67ITX-C-E with i7-2600K CPU

BIOS Version

Core: 4.6.4.0

Project: A166P 0.20 x64

Build Date: 02/28/2011

I have SpeedStepper for Lion 10.7.2 working, has been for a couple weeks. There are no issues, everything working on this system. Here's what I did to fix it (maybe do it right). It occurred to me that the problem might be the install procedure so I repeated the original steps.

1.. I did a clean install of Lion 10.7

2.. Migrated an existing install to the new install.

3.. Upgraded Lion to 10.7.2

4.. Then applied the patch.

After that I only had occasional system errors. I checked the System log and found that a couple wireless printer launch daemons were looking for missing files. Removing the referenced files fixed the problems. After that I tested the printers and they worked fine.

Now all's good, hope that helps others.

I used your patch for 10.7.1 and it worked like a charm, but the 10.7.2 patch is not fully working as auto sleep doesn't work and the system gets slower and slower every day (just sleep no restart), that's similar to nullcpupowermanagement. or windows :)

Will there come out an alpha version of the 10.7.2 patch? I try now to use my old 10.7.1 one.

Thanks for your work