SpeedStepper (now supports Mountain Lion 10.8.3)

flAked

574 posts in this topic

This is what I see in my log:

Jul 26 22:17:38 localhost kernel[0]: AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement: Turbo Ratios 6689

No option for turbo in setup, speedstep only. Thank you flAked, this is the time to try RevoBoot.

asstastic

Thank you, I will try your method too.

I have pstates 8-29 working on i7-2630QM using 8,2 identifier. I got it working by editing MacBookPro8_2.plist in IOPlatformPluginFamily.kext > ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin.kext.

I'm also loading SSDT and pstates using latest Chimera.

http://www.tonymacx86.com/viewtopic.php?f=...=169929#p169929

I can get 9-29 pstates working using 12,2 identifier for Snow, only 4 pstates for Lion using same dsdt and ssdt.

I'm trying to solve it, I don't understand the reason why.

I'll try your method

I can get 9-29 pstates working using 12,2 identifier for Snow, only 4 pstates for Lion using same dsdt and ssdt.

I'm trying to solve it, I don't understand the reason why.

If your DSDT/SSDT configuration works in Snow then it's fine, they changed the used P-States for the iMac12,2.

Every "solution" I heard so far was just using MBP8,3 in Lion.

Sure, just use the stepper program from 10.6.8 in that plist.

In the old thread by DHP we tried to figure out how this thing actually works, without success.

But even if we did - it's still not a stable solution, because we would need to edit that plist with every update.

I'm hoping that somebody can run MSRDumper on a real iMac12,2 and see if it shows the same behavior. If it does, then I think it's a bug and should be submitted.

In the meantime, either edit the plist and add it to the list of things to remember on updating or switch to MBP8,3.

Hopefully the new MacPros include a nice stepper program.

In the iMac12_2.plist of Lion you will find:

<key>StepDataDict</key>
<dict>
<key>iMac12,2</key>
<string>SP11</string>
<key>SP11</key>
<data>...</data>
</dict>

Replace this part with the one from the 10.6.8 plist:

<key>StepDataDict</key>
<dict>
<key>iMac12,2</key>
<string>SP13</string>
<key>SP13</key>
<data>...</data>
</dict>

The important bit is under data, that is the stepper program choosing the P-States. You can also see (if you open the plists in a texteditor) that the new stepper program is much smaller.

In the iMac12_2.plist of Lion you will find:

<key>StepDataDict</key>
<dict>
<key>iMac12,2</key>
<string>SP11</string>
<key>SP11</key>
<data>...</data>
</dict>

Replace this part with the one from the 10.6.8 plist:

<key>StepDataDict</key>
<dict>
<key>iMac12,2</key>
<string>SP13</string>
<key>SP13</key>
<data>...</data>
</dict>

The important bit is under data, that is the stepper program choosing the P-States. You can also see (if you open the plists in a texteditor) that the new stepper program is much smaller.

Jul 27 14:17:20 localhost kernel[0]: ACPI_SMC_CtrlLoop::loadStepperContext - pmCPUControl (pmioctlPStateContext_t) failed, result = 0x16

16 35 36 37

You have opened both plist in a text editor and copied the entire data portion yes?

It could be that the old stepper programs are not compatible with the new AICPUPM, you could try the one from Lions MBP8,3 and see what that gives.

Don't change multiple things at once, take the original plist from Lion and only change the stepper program, see if that loads without error. Also, the data-block is strangely formatted, there are a lot more line-breaks than in my version, maybe thats causing the error.

I believe Gigabyte P67 boards don't have that problem, have you loaded AICPUPM without NullCPU? It should just work.

Took rebooting different boot drive and manually removing cache, i notice verbose show cache errors after reboot. Then i did safe mode boot and it show long up time, so I force normal boot and i was able to get it work.

System seems little snapper :D Only problem is Nvidia drivers did not load. Wondering if you had any advice on which direction i show go. They were not working right before, I had pixel ratio working, but no GL support and i doubt video would have work correctly. I have Quadro 4000 Mac edition, you would think since it's Mac card it would work right....

Screen%20Shot%202011-07-27%20at%207.10.18%20AM.jpg

Please keep this thread on topic, for graphic issues post in the Graphics Card section or Lion Post-Installation, thanks.

SpeedStepper is only necessary if AICPUPM is panicing on boot and I believe you don't need it at all.

Please keep this thread on topic, for graphic issues post in the Graphics Card section or Lion Post-Installation, thanks.

SpeedStepper is only necessary if AICPUPM is panicing on boot and I believe you don't need it at all.

sorry for mentioning graphic help here. I have long boot times due to PCIe controllers, I have Areeca 1880ix & Highpoint 4321 and trying to speed up bio wait time or even use REVOBoot and flash cards w/ GPT firmware and skip it all to gethr is ultimate goal.

Don't change multiple things at once, take the original plist from Lion and only change the stepper program, see if that loads without error. Also, the data-block is strangely formatted, there are a lot more line-breaks than in my version, maybe thats causing the error.

I've already tried the way you say, see that it didn't work, I've modified other parts too like 10.6.8's

The 8,3 plist that is used by asstastic is the same like that one we have been using in Snow, the only difference is the name of the model.

If you use the stepper program from Lion's MBP8,3 in the iMac12,2 plist then it works.

QA has been contacted about this strange new behavior, let's hope they fix it.

I've sent you the plist, but please keep in mind that this is not a real solution.

If you switch your smbios.plist or RevoBoot configuration to MacBookPro8,3 - SpeedStep should also work just fine, as we're just copying the stepper program from the MBP8,3.