SpeedStepper (now supports Mountain Lion 10.8.3)

flAked

574 posts in this topic

Did a fresh install and tried with tytung kernel (I needed lapic fix), no more KP. I probably messed up with something ;)

Thank you again, and thank you for this patch :)

(I'll try to tweak things when I'll have an operational installation with no more errors during boot)

Hey,

thanks for your work, flAked!

But i have a question:

I installed your Speedstepper on Lion 10.7.0 sucessfull (P8P67 with 2500k, installed with andy's p8p67 package)

MSRDump shows me 16 and 33, my Turbomode is set to 40.

How can I get the Turbo Mode working? In Win7 its working perfectly, so i think its not a bios setting....

ok thanks ;)

where can i get this dsdt and how i have to install it? i searched a little bit and read sth. about revoboot and ssdt in another threat from you, but i found that i have to compile revoboot first...

so i would try the "old" mode you call it...

Hi!

without applying the patch:

15/08/11 18:10:13,000 kernel: MSRDumper CoreMulti(8) 
15/08/11 18:10:13,000 kernel: MSRDumper PStatesReached: 8 20

applying the patch (in lion 10.7, 10.7.2 (11C35) and (11C26) in 64 bit) with Chameleon r1400 and Chimera, same result:

15/08/11 18:10:13,000 kernel: MSRDumper CoreMulti(8) 
15/08/11 18:10:13,000 kernel: MSRDumper PStatesReached: 8 20

Only 2 Pstates and no turbo ;)

Also edit MacBookPro8,2.plist (remove DeepSleep, IOPlatformSystemSleepPolicy and edit SP13 follow this post: tony)

My laptop: Asus k53sj i7 2630qm 4 gb Intel hd3000 and nvidia gt 520m 1 gb ASUS

Lion install follow this guide: lion usb

Now use Chimera and this com.apple.Boot.plist:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
<key>DSDT</key>
<string>/Extra/DSDT.aml</string>
<key>GenerateCStates</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>GeneratePStates</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>Boot Banner</key>
<string>No</string>
<key>Rescan</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>Kernel Flags</key>
<string></string>
<key>Instant Menu</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>arch</key>
<string>i386</string>
</dict>
</plist>

Use DSDT (path by mald0n, thanks mald0n!!) and SSDT (follow this post: get acpi with "get_acpi_tables.py" from osx, no ubuntu).

I tried with SMBIOS: macbook pro 8,2 and macbook pro 8,3

<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
<key>SMbiosdate</key>
<string>02/07/11</string>
<key>SMbiosversion</key>
<string>MBP81.88Z.0047.B04.1102071707</string>
<key>SMboardproduct</key>
<string>Mac-942459F5819B171B</string>
<key>SMfamily</key>
<string>MacBookPro</string>
<key>SMmanufactuer</key>
<string>Apple Inc.</string>
<key>SMproductname</key>
<string>MacBookPro8,3</string>
<key>SMserial</key>
<string></string>
</dict>
</plist>

<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
<key>SMbiosvendor</key>
<string>Apple Inc.</string>
<key>SMbiosversion</key>
<string>MBP81.0047.B0E</string>
<key>SMboardproduct</key>
<string>Mac-94245A3940C91C80</string>
<key>SMfamily</key>
<string>MacBook Pro</string>
<key>SMproductname</key>
<string>MacBookPro8,2</string>
<key>SMserial</key>
<string>C02FHXXXDF8V</string>
<key>SMsystemversion</key>
<string>1.69f1</string>
</dict>
</plist>

I tried revobuilder:

1.- Install Git and xcode

2.- Download source:

3.- Build user config (no edit settings.h)

4.- Toggle target OS lion

5.- Complie (Compilation was successful and show this files: boot, boot.sys, libsa.a, libsaio.a and machOconv but as I install it?? copy boot in root??)

thanks and sorry for the inconvenience! :) (only speak Spanish)

Please keep the thread on SpeedStepper only, if you have problems with your overall system configuration make a new thread in the DSDT or (Post-)Lion Installation section.

Please note that SpeedStepper is only a patcher to prevent a specific kernel panic on boot. So if you can boot the system without NullCPU then you don't need the patcher. It also won't enable/modify any P-State behavior.

The unmodified MBP8,3 definition should give you all available P-States in Lion.

RevoBoot is an advanced topic and requires a custom-tailored settings.h for your system. Head over to the RevoBoot thread if you are interested.

flAked, is there any way to patch bios instead AICPM ?

Is there any Sandy Bridge (LGA 1155) motherboard that does not require patching AICPM ? I know ASRock and Asus need that, mayby MSI or Gigabyte Z68/P67 don't need patching?

flAked, is there any way to patch bios instead AICPM ?

Yes you can mod the BIOS instead, but as I stated several times I won't release such mods. Without the proper Aptio tools it's hard to do and I don't know if it will stick after resetting the BIOS.

Also, and this is something I've not discussed before, any BIOS mod will be only for that specific model and version and more than a dozen ASUS boards are affected.

In short, SpeedStepper is much more generic and can support all boards that are affected.

Is there any Sandy Bridge (LGA 1155) motherboard that does not require patching AICPM ? I know ASRock and Asus need that, mayby MSI or Gigabyte Z68/P67 don't need patching?

I heard of some MSI boards that require patching as well. I'm suspecting that the stock Aptio EFI code includes the C-State initialization code that is causing the troubles that is used across all boards using this BIOS.

According to tonymac Gigabyte boards work fine.

Thanks flAked. I don't want patch AICPM every time after update to new version of Mac OS X because of that I want patch BIOS.

Asus have released a new 0603 bios update for P8Z86 Deluxe.

No problem encountered

Can anyone else confirm that?

Thanks a lot for your efforts, flAked

P.S. for lenovo laptop owners: ThinkPad BIOS also blocks write operations to 0xe2, confirmed with latest BIOS BITS 438, you have to use the patch to get native PM.

Same scenario with a Lenovo y560p (i7-2630QM). Patch worked great here. Thanks flAKed (great work) and lenovo3000 (I wouldn't have tried it if you didn't mention the scenario with your ThinkPad).

Thanks flAked. I don't want patch AICPM every time after update to new version of Mac OS X because of that I want patch BIOS.

Can anyone else confirm that?

I think he meant no problems with his DSDT and/or onboard components still working.

BTW, ASUS released a new BIOS for my board nearly every month, so if you want to use the new OROM versions you'll have to patch the BIOS again and again.

BIOS modding is fairly easy with the right tools, but they are not available for the new Aptio EFI BIOS. You can only use PhoenixTool to extract the image and then you need to dig in assembler code. I've been there, it's beyond frustrating. You can't just change anything and flash it. Sure, you can use the recovery function, but I rather not brick my board in the first place.

Hi flAked. I got a laptop asus u31sd(sandbridge). When I frustrated for speedstep, your stepper gave me big help.

It was great. I'm very appreciate it. And I'm just wondering something. Is it possible to use dsdt, If I don't use this patch and patch dsdt? because I just want to use only dsdt like gigabyte board. thanks again flAked.

The patcher will just prevent a kernel panic and is independent from any DSDT fixes.

You cannot, however, only use a DSDT without the patcher, because it's not possible to fix it with a DSDT edit.

I have found an easy method to patch Asus bios for speed stepping. You just need AMIAptioTool to identify the 2 CpuPei modules, extract them. Then do a search and replace on the two modules with a hex editor (all credits to DHP for this fix):

800018EB050D0080
to
000018EB050D0000 

There should only be one instance of this string in each module.

Then use the tool to replace the existing modules with the patched ones. Voila! Now I found that the AptioTool will work on 4Mb EFI bioses (such as the P8P67M-Pro) but not the new 8Mb ones (such as the Gene-Z). So I use Phoenixtools to replace the patched modules (it has an option to pause the patching so you can replace original modules in the DUMP directory with patched ones. This has worked for me on all bios variants for the P8P67M-Pro and Maximus IV Gene-Z.

REMEMBER that patching a bios is a risky business, so do so at you own risk.

AMI_APTIO_MMTool.zip

• Like 1

Thanks for posting this. That's exactly how I did it for the P8P67. I wouldn't call it an easy method, though.

And I advise that if one doesn't know to do all steps mentioned and how to use the tools, to leave it be.

BTW, initial credits go to THe KiNG for figuring this out!

Thanks for posting this. That's exactly how I did it for the P8P67. I wouldn't call it an easy method, though.

And I advise that if one doesn't know to do all steps mentioned and how to use the tools, to leave it be.

BTW, initial credits go to THe KiNG for figuring this out!

I agree with you on all counts!