OS X Annoyances

Swad

278 posts in this topic

2. No "view as thumbnails" in view folder view options.

picture2ca9.png

" Show Icon Preview" does basically the same thing as view as thumbnails, if you wanted to see a small shot of say a picture or something.

The only gripe that I have is not being able to change individual folder icons. From what I know, you could change that particular general folder icon, but that would apply to all the folders using that icon. I dont know if it is possible to change just that 1 folder icon. Someone slap me if I was wrong, lol. I really want that feature.

• 4 weeks later...

Those damn .DS_Store files.

Tired of it leaving them on everything.

picture2ca9.png

" Show Icon Preview" does basically the same thing as view as thumbnails, if you wanted to see a small shot of say a picture or something.

The only gripe that I have is not being able to change individual folder icons. From what I know, you could change that particular general folder icon, but that would apply to all the folders using that icon. I dont know if it is possible to change just that 1 folder icon. Someone slap me if I was wrong, lol. I really want that feature.

Isnt it by using the 'get info' feature?

EDIT: i think i just confused myself.

• 3 weeks later...

I hate the fact that you can only manually resize windows on one corner

I hate that there is no included British PC keyboard layout (I found a driver from Logitech that included one when I installed my wireless mouse though)

I hate most of all that the home and end keys do not do anything. How can I map cmd+ arrows to these?

And a few Safari annoyances:

I hate that the back button is so close to the X button

I hate that when you go to a site with video, say, and Safari does not have the plug in, it doesn't damn well offer to find it for you, like Firefox or Windows IE will.

On a PC the scroll wheel will affect whatever you are hovered over, so on a web page with a scrolling area if you hover over it and scroll the wheel first of all it scrolls the area, then when that has reached the bottom only then will it scroll the page. I really wish Safari would do that (or a bit more consistently anyway)

I really like the way in Windows you can minimise a window by clicking its icon in the task bar - handy when you just maximised the wrong one. In OSX maximised windows are not in the dock, so you can't do that.

the thing that annoys me most about OS X is the fact you have to open the applications folder to run applications rather than just having a drom down menu like in Windows.

There are several apps which will create a drop down menu. My favourite is TigerLaunch:

http://ranchero.com/tigerlaunch/

Put it in the dock, tick "Open at Login" and there you are.

Another one is Butler. It will give you much more than just an applications menu:

http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/20035

Consider also Path Finder. It is a "Finder replacement" with tons of features, including a drop down menu:

http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/16678

A bit OT: there is plenty OS X could learn from KDE in terms of usability. KDE doesn't need third party apps for common tasks or features.

I have two things that annoy me:

First, we have the wonderful zoom function (ctrl+scroll). Why can't we also zoom out? Some websites that are very large are too big for safari for example. And zooming out would be a nice add on to make a desktop virtually bigger.

Second: I like the feature to select any text and click on "open url". Why the "$&% they don't make it "open url in new tab".

Hey Apple, if you read this, drop me a mail for my good-idea-check. ;)

Second: I like the feature to select any text and click on "open url". Why the "$&% they don't make it "open url in new tab".

Just select in tab General of Safari preferences ... "Open links from applications" as "in new tab in the current window"

i hope that this solve the problem.

*SLAP*

OK, I'll admit this sucks a bit, but you "Get Info" on the icon you want to use and "Get Info" on the item you want to change. Click on the icon that you want, it'll go blue. Cmd+C then click on the icon you want to replace, Cmd+V.

Problem Solved.

Alternately, you're able to alter the .DS_Store.

I hate the fact that you can only manually resize windows on one corner

Me too, what's up with that?

I hate most of all that the home and end keys do not do anything. How can I map cmd+ arrows to these?

And a few Safari annoyances:

I hate that the back button is so close to the X button

I hate that when you go to a site with video, say, and Safari does not have the plug in, it doesn't damn well offer to find it for you, like Firefox or Windows IE will.

You know, you CAN download firefox. But hey...

On a PC the scroll wheel will affect whatever you are hovered over, so on a web page with a scrolling area if you hover over it and scroll the wheel first of all it scrolls the area, then when that has reached the bottom only then will it scroll the page. I really wish Safari would do that (or a bit more consistently anyway)

I really like the way in Windows you can minimise a window by clicking its icon in the task bar - handy when you just maximised the wrong one. In OSX maximised windows are not in the dock, so you can't do that.

I like the way mac scrolls, and i'm used to it now (shrug)

I hate the way that if you accidentally double click on a title-bar your window will minimize. I expect it to maximise, or something!

I actually think I'm going to get windowshade x just so I can stop that annoyance!

Just select in tab General of Safari preferences ... "Open links from applications" as "in new tab in the current window"

i hope that this solve the problem.

Ah, no dice :whistle: it still opens the url in the actual page. But thanks anyway :) :)

things that annoy me: putting in password when installing something. could be considered worse than UAC cause i gotta type instead of just hit allow

and dragging stuff into apps folder is also annoying.

Me too, what's up with that?

You know, you CAN download firefox. But hey...

I like the way mac scrolls, and i'm used to it now (shrug)

I hate the way that if you accidentally double click on a title-bar your window will minimize. I expect it to maximise, or something!

I actually think I'm going to get windowshade x just so I can stop that annoyance!

My issue with the scrolling affects firefox specifically. I do web work that requires extensive use of the image zoom extension. In windows, it's not a problem. I do right-click scroll, and quickly get to the size I need. Then I move over and workin a textbox that ALSO scrolls. I can then use my wheel to scroll the textbox.

But, on OSX, the scroll is "sticky". I right-click scroll to zoom the image, then my scrollwheel is STUCK to image zoom. I can't scroll ANYTHING ELSE on that webpage. When I try, it just zooms the image over and over. Even clicking on other controls doesn't stop it. At that point, the only way to scroll anything else until I reload the whole page (not possible until I save the page) is to use the scrollbars, not the wheel. It seriously breaks my work.

• 2 months later...
resizing the windows only from one corner is a bit annoying.
true... very annoying in fact... I like how Ubuntu resizes, ... windows
yep... kinda hard to get used to. Either maximize/roll up window is quite nice. Not having this annoying animation all the way across screen to a small dock icon which tells you nothing really about its contents :hysterical:

Another annoyance: mouse-over a non-selected window does not allow you to scroll in it. Very useful when you have several fol

ers open, ...

i highly dislike the maximize button chooses the best size automatically instead of like windows where it maximizes full screen and scalable at window and stays that size. most annoying with web browsers as once u window and go back full screen it does not. noticable with safari but mostly omniweb.

It always bugged me that I didn't have direct access to all of my open windows. That's one nifty feature of Windows and the system task bar.

Otherwise, it seems to work just fine for me.

It always bugged me that I didn't have direct access to all of my open windows. That's one nifty feature of Windows and the system task bar.

Otherwise, it seems to work just fine for me.

Yeah I agree. I set one of my side mouse buttons as expose to get quicker access to open windows.

I do love Mac OS X. But I really hate that you can't maximize windows! I installed stoplight, but that only maximizes certain ones, not firefox and mac for messenger (2 programs very often used by me). I also don't like that you haven't got access to all your open programs like on a PC. You sort of do, but it's not neat. I do like the Dock - it's rather pretty, but you know... In the end, it's way easier to just have Windows and have a start menu etc. I know Apple are trying to be original... But you should have the option to switch the dock into like the PC one... It's way easier to manage lot's of programs. Whoever said Mac's are for multitasking is stupid! Windows are way better for that.

i agree with tominic about the way os x manages multiple windows. (the f10, f11 etc keys are very cool and simple), but a taskbar like windows is very simple for having the right window in no way (you can choose the program in mac os x, but not the right window of the program (like a specific msn window))

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure if this was mentioned but I hate that when you delete a podcast in itunes, it doesn't show up in the trash can until you click on the trash can, so instead of just right clicking on the trash can and emptying the trash you have to click on the then empty trash can, then the podcasts appear and you can then empty the trash, not really anything major its just annoying, one thing though is that this problem was fixed when I used to run the 9A466 leopard build.