Planning to buy Core 2 Duo (Conroe) for OSx86?

Planning to buy Core 2 Duo (Conroe) for OSx86?   

139 members have voted

1. 1. Planning to buy Core 2 Duo (Conroe) for OSx86?

• Yes
    • No

42 posts in this topic

This is supposed to be a simple gauge of interest in Core 2 Duo (Conroe) for the next generation of OSx86 boxes. This is intended to only measure desktop interest in Hackintoshs, laptops (Merom) and real Macs do not count. Assuming there are no technical problems, do you plan to buy or build a Conroe machine for OS X in the foreseeable future, say within the next year?

Even though I'm going to buy a MacBook soon, I'd like to keep my hackintosh desktop going. If we can get leopard going, I'll probably buy a conroe at some point... since it'll most likely require a dual core.

i am but the only problem i can see atm is the 965 chipset uses ICH8 which doesnt have PATA support built in so that could be a problem combatibility wise. Of course if you buy a 975 board that supports Core Duo 2 then you should be fine as long as the kernel guys get the new kernels sorted....

What´s wrong with the current kernel in regard of the Core 2 Duo (Conroe) CPUs?

i am but the only problem i can see atm is the 965 chipset uses ICH8 which doesnt have PATA support built in so that could be a problem combatibility wise. Of course if you buy a 975 board that supports Core Duo 2 then you should be fine as long as the kernel guys get the new kernels sorted....

I am going to wait until this project reaches a stable status.

If leopard works and we are able to boot osx natively without

Darwin then I am definatly going to to buy one.

I wish the MacEFIx86 project succeeds in making a suitable

EFI implementation for us.

Well there are a few things to consider.

First, which of these motherboards will have the new Intel GPU that is on par with on-board ATI?

Second, will these new desktops OSX86 machines offer dual display...a very important item yet to be solved.

Third, the older Pentium and 1st Gen duo core could not overclock as much, the newer ones are really cool temp. wise and should overclock well.

That said, will Apple rape the end user in pricing or will they stay on par with the PC (non Mac) users with price cuts in CPU's prices. Will Apple fix the Macbook GPU artifacts? Will they offer dedicated GPU for macbook, will they offer newer chips for all the laptops as both the MB and MBP run really hot, especially if your doing audio, video, gaming (uggg on a mac thus far), photoshop, Illustrator, etc.

So, while on one hand it looks promising for the Apple line of products, it could very well be possible that a OSX86 machine overclocked to could trumph any Apple offering. Apples defense could be, since Vista looks like it may be a long long way off, would be a good, fair and decent pricing bang for the buch factor as the "well it's Apple hardware" no longer holds true - more problems in these 1st gen machines then I've ever seen.

Just my .11 cents.! :tomato:

First, which of these motherboards will have the new Intel GPU that is on par with on-board ATI?

Second, will these new desktops OSX86 machines offer dual display...a very important item yet to be solved.

Third, the older Pentium and 1st Gen duo core could not overclock as much, the newer ones are really cool temp. wise and should overclock well.

1st none yet AFAIK intel is first supporting it's GMA3k and GMAX3k which hopefully outperform GMA950 by much.

2nd their current and future boards need AAD2 cards for that, even GMAX3k

3rd good to know, i'm sick of intel's heat problems.

That said, will Apple rape the end user in pricing or will they stay on par with the PC (non Mac) users with price cuts in CPU's prices. Will Apple fix the Macbook GPU artifacts? Will they offer dedicated GPU for macbook, will they offer newer chips for all the laptops as both the MB and MBP run really hot, especially if your doing audio, video, gaming (uggg on a mac thus far), photoshop, Illustrator, etc.

macbook gpu artifacts? I haven't noticed any.

and for macbook gaming, just with ram upgrade performs fair/good, If you want extreme gaming, get a mbp! xD

Yes indeed, artifacts on MB are a known issue, the MBP uses the ATI but it is underclocked and not as close to the CPU as the MB is to the on-board.

Regarding getting a MBP, thats $2000.00 to play Unreal 2004, (MB won't play it with even 2GB DDR) plus it would be too hot to place on your lap not to mention the keyboard around the QWERTYUIOP and 1-0 keys get really hot. Not worth it at this time.

Like I said, it depends on whether or not Apple makes the changes faster than they did when they relied on PPC chips.

:tomato:

peace

Maybe until someone max??? will decrypt the latest mach_kernel( last i remember we are still using 10.4.4).... i read a lot disabling one core to just run x86, so whats the use of having latest core 2 duo for x86 if only to disable one core ..... just my .5 cent

Simon, I do not think that PATA is going to be an issue. Even the Intel 965 boards still support it: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16813121035

While I suppose that Apple could blaze the trail with SATA DVD-RW, I doubt it will next month.

It is a problem. ICH8 does not support PATA. There is a separate chip on the motherboard (not Intel, but too lazy to look it up) for the PATA support.

There is a rumour that a future ICH8 revision will add PATA back in though. (or you could get one of those rare few SATA optical drives by plextor or someone)

I'm building a box in August, but it wont be running OS X. :thumbsdown_anim: I say wait until after WWDC and see if the Mac Pros get released (some probability of a low-end one with 'just' a Conroe in it) and see what chipset they run...975x is obviously fairly safe due to ICH7, although it might need a plist edit.

Well, just to say, sata is by no means a big issue for osx86. I have an ich7 based mobo and my sata performs flawlessly. As long as the ich8 chipset has similar sata specs then it shouldnt be to much of a problem. For the pata concern with ich8, you have to know that its a chip that converts sata to pata onboard. So there still may be some hope.

I cant say what will and wont work, but Im sure with some testing a few select mobos will come out that we can use with most if not all features. We will have to wait and see.

I hope they come out with a core 2 based laptop this next year, I might scoop one up then.

ICH8 does not support PATA. There is a separate chip on the motherboard (not Intel, but too lazy to look it up) for the PATA support.

I think it is likely that Apple will use the 965 chipset with Conroe in the Mac Mini and iMac. I also think there is some possibility of Apple releasing a 965/Conroe tower. As Intel now designs Apple's motherboards, I am assuming that whatever drivers are needed for this ICH8/PATA hack, if any, will be present in OS X 10.4.8+.

I say wait until after WWDC and see if the Mac Pros get released (some probability of a low-end one with 'just' a Conroe in it) and see what chipset they run...975x is obviously fairly safe due to ICH7, although it might need a plist edit.

While I certainly avocate waiting for Apple to show its hand, which may not be fully revealed until the Paris Expo in mid-September, I think there is almost no chance that Apple will use the 975 chipset for anything.

Maybe until someone max??? will decrypt the latest mach_kernel( last i remember we are still using 10.4.4).... i read a lot disabling one core to just run x86, so whats the use of having latest core 2 duo for x86 if only to disable one core ..... just my .5 cent

If this is true then it really makes no sense what so ever to build a machine right now until a fix and newer motherboards with their related kernel problems, are sorted out. Period!

;) : :dev::dev:

I remember someone said 10.5 will be released maybe at the WWDC in August. I think its best to wait to see if our guys can get this kernel to run on EXISTING hardware to start with and then see if we can use conroe supported motherboards.

On topic: I have voted YES. So if leopard support is there I will definitly buy osx86 supported hardware to build a system to replace my powerbook that I just sold.

I remember someone said 10.5 will be released maybe at the WWDC in August. I think its best to wait to see if our guys can get this kernel to run on EXISTING hardware to start with and then see if we can use conroe supported motherboards.

On topic: I have voted YES. So if leopard support is there I will definitly buy osx86 supported hardware to build a system to replace my powerbook that I just sold.

I predict Hell will freeze over and Dubya will become brilliant...before we'd see 10.5 released at WWDC. :)

I predict Hell will freeze over and Dubya will become brilliant...before we'd see 10.5 released at WWDC. :)

Hold on... we should expect a very beta Leopard (OS X 10.5) Preview to be released to developers at WWDC.

Hold on... we should expect a very beta Leopard (OS X 10.5) Preview to be released to developers at WWDC.

I don't even know if that is obvious. ;) But, I was referring to people being able to go out and Buy it, anyway. :)