What old Macs you have lying around?

BRP

129 posts in this topic

Just got an old iMac Indigo G3 500 Mhz - 20 Gig HD - 64Mb Ram - 24x Slot Loading CDROM. for free of corse. :hysterical:

lol that reminds me of my iMac G3 in pieces with no HD or RAM

also i have a intel mac mini core solo it's obsolete :(

Edited by mac-mini

If i put in say 512mb will it handle Tiger, I am just about finished Downloading the 4 CD version.

I can go raid a office full of old PC`s ready to be given to chrity for some ram. ( just popped down there and all i could manage to find was 128mb sticks. grabbed two of them so its now the iMac G3 500mhz has 256mb ram )

Edited by itmandan

Hummm ......where should I start . A rare mac classic with the clear case , SE-30 , 8100/80 , 7200/90 , Powerbook 5300 , Powerbook 520C and last but not least a II CI . I used to do parts for these things until I went into semi-retirement from this business so I bought stuff by the pallet and just kept some of it for my own personal museum.

• 2 weeks later...

All I have is a lime green iMac ;)

Got it at goodwill a couple weeks ago for $30... works pretty good!

I had an LCII I took from my grandpa's work way back when. He worked at a college and they had a stockroom full of old {censored}...

Whats currently lying around:

oldest to newest:

Macintosh Workgroup Server 6150/66 - 66 Mhz, 500 MB HD, 72 MB RAM, Mac OS 9.0.4

Powerbook 190CS - 33 Mhz, 220 MB HD, 20 MB RAM, Mac OS 7.5.3

iMac G3 Rev. D - 333 Mhz, 80 GB HD, 160 MB RAM, Mac OS X 10.4.8

PowerMac G3 Beige - 400 Mhz (One of the last off the line, overclocked from 233 Mhz), 10 GB HD, 220 MB Ram, Mac OS X 10.4.8

PowerMac G4 Tower PCI - Dual 450 Mhz, 80 Gb HD, 384 MB RAM, Mac OS X 10.4.8

Mac Mini Intel - CoreDuo 1.83 Ghz, 220 GB Total (60 Internal, 160 External FW), 1 Gb Ram, Mac OS X 10.4.9, 10.5 9a377, TinyXP Vista Edition

I have a 5260/120, a 5400/120, and a 5400/180 plus an Apple 14" Display, AppleWriter Color Printer (not sure what model) and HP ADB scanner. They used to use them for media at our high school back in the early to mid 1990's until the media teacher retired and they all got replaced with Win2k machines. I was friends with the teacher so he let me have them. I used to use them, but since moving to an iMac G3 with OS 10.4.8, I don't ever touch them. I want to get rid of them, but I don't want to pitch them because they all still work. the printer needs ink, but otherwise all they need is a memory upgrade as they all have just 16MB of memory. On eof them have a TV tuner in it. All of them ran OS 7.6 but I upgraded one of them to Mac Os 8 after stealing RAM form one of the other machines.

I dont have anything really "old" but this is what Ive had over the last say five years.. I'll list them in the order I aquired them.

12" iBook G3 800MHz w/ 60GB HDD, 640MB RAM, Airport, 1x MCE Superdrive.

This was my first Mac. I actually went into my local Mac dealer to get an iPod but this was when the 3G came out and just got very popular and hard to get. I got playing around on a demo unit and walked away with one. Kinda funny because I was in the process of getting my MCSE at the time. This machine was stolen out of a hotel room I was staying in a few years ago on Christmas day.

PowerMac B&W 300MHz (basically stock. I think I upgraded the HDD, RAM and added a CD-RW)

I bought this machine used on some forum because my iBook logicboard kept failing (before It was stolen). So I got this unit so I could have something to use while my laptop was in the shop. It kinda started acting funny, so i shelfed it.. I stil have it, and it does boot 10.4, but i get the odd kernel panic so i dont play with it.

PowerMac Yikes! 400MHz (completely stock)

I got ths machine dirt cheap from a friend and used it as a server for about three months. Then the logicboard died. Theres not much more to say about it. I still have it kicking around in my closet, sans processor. This machine is what I got after my iBook was stolen.

PowerMac B&W 400MHz w/ 1GB SDRAM, 120GB WD HDD, Radeon 7000, Belkin FD7000 Wi-Fi, LG DVD-RW, 400MHz G4 processor o/c'ed to 550MHz, 10.4.8/OS 9.2.2

This machine was in regular use 'till I put together my Hackintosh. It started its life as a 400MHz G3 and ended up with the specs listed above. The machine still works great, its just showing its age and limitations on a daily basis. Sometimes Ill fire it up and use it for a little VGS in OS9. As far as why I have it, I got it to replace the dead Yikes! machine that i got to replace my iBook. It took me a few months to realize i should put the G4 from it into the B&W and I did. I have it cooled with a Thermaltake Volcano 7+ which I made a custom mounting bracket for. I dont know what Im going to use it for in the future, but ive got it and its not going anywhere.

A Rosetta VM running in parallels - does that count?

Bah, Sheepshaver under rosetta runs faster and upto 9.0 :-)

This the old stuff that I still have:

- Tanburry Newbrain AD

- Oric Atmos 48K

- Sinclair ZX Spectrum 48K

- Sinclair QL (with various bits and pieces)

- Acorn Archimedes 410/1 (with various upgrades)

- Compaq Deskpro 2000 (old AMD K5 thing)

- Psion Series 5

This is the old stuff that I recently gave away:

- PowerMac 9600 (Mach 5 cpu the last model before G-series)

- Beige G3

This is the old stuff that I stull use

- Acorn StrongARM Risc PC

This is what I'm trying to obtain from some friends

- Apple Macintosh II (the first colour mac)

- Apple SE 30 (but that seems a no-go since he wont part with it)

- SGI Indy (this negotation is going nowhere since they ask way too much for this)

- SGI Indigo (this negotation is also going nowhere since they ask way too much for this)

This is what a friend of mine tries to dumb on me

- Apple Powermac 6100

- Apple Powermac 8100

This is what I throw out (broken)

- Apple 6x00 mainboard

- Apple HDD

- Apple FDD

I still have some Apple CDromdrives because I couldn't get the 9600 to boot from an non-apple optical drive when I installed OSX on it (weird I know). I replaced its internal CDromdrive with an LG DVDromdrive because it was broke. So I had to use an Apple CD-drive to install OSX and replace it with the DVD after the install (since my 9600 was full with HDD's, Zipdrives etc... I couldn't keep the old apple drive inside)

The things I used to own are too numerous to write here. Since I'm into computers since the early 80's I've owned things like Sinclair ZX81 and Psion SeriesII LZ upto Commodore's C64/C128, Atari 800XL and Amiga and Atari ST.

Also since I build computers for various companies I've had even more (mostly PC-based) stuff through my hands then I could write down.

Cheese

Edited by EPDM

Somewhere I have an old Apple IIc and two old Mac LCII's that I haven't played with.

I do have my family's first computer though, a Mac Plus from 1986 now upgraded from the original 1MB to 4MB, and including the old school gigantic 20MB hard drive underneath and the Imagewriter II. I recently cleaned them out, and it still boots faster than most of my PCs! gotta love all the old games on the 8" B&W screen :happymac:;-)

Somewhere I have an old Apple IIc and two old Mac LCII's that I haven't played with.

I do have my family's first computer though, a Mac Plus from 1986 now upgraded from the original 1MB to 4MB, and including the old school gigantic 20MB hard drive underneath and the Imagewriter II. I recently cleaned them out, and it still boots faster than most of my PCs! gotta love all the old games on the 8" B&W screen ;);-)

Especially while playing that old Duran Duran or Depeche Mode tune in the backgound ;-)

"I just can't get enough" (no pun intended)

Cheers,

EPDM

Current Macs:

Macbook Core Duo (Black)

Mac 512E - with spare keyboard and mouse and boxes of software.... must go through it all again one day!

Love the 512, works as well as the day it was built, although it teaches you patience and how did we ever keep up with the disk swapping....

Edited by mysticgreg

Hi,

I have a lot of old things too.

Macs

Macintosh Quadra (i think its broken, because it does not correctly acess the RAM)

iMac 1. Generation with Mac OS 10.1 (i will update it on 10.3 or 10.4)

Apple Pippin (Yes, i've imported it from Japan! The only gaming-console from Apple)

No-Macs

Atari (i dont know what model it is)

Nintendo Gameboy Classic

NES

SNES

N64 (okay, this all are gaming-consoles but they are old)

I will later buy an MacBook or an iBook, but at the moment it costs so much money :unsure:

Greetz, Nico

---Edit---

Here's an Picture of the Pippin:

post-60735-1174213696_thumb.jpg

Edited by Rayquaza

Old mac's kicking around eh?

well it's ripped apart now. i toke it apart to get the HD and Motherboard out of it but....

I had/have one of the oldest macs.

the mac classic type interface black and white and like 1MB disk space.