Web Application/Site Languages

40 posts in this topic

I've always been a hardline PHP guy myself, but I'm curious to see what everyone else here uses to code the "workhorse" of their web stuff. I know Ruby on Rails has become quite popular recently, but I just haven't been able to convince myself to try it out. Also, what frameworks do you use as a base for your websites?

Personally I use:

PHP 5 (usually with MySQL 5 as the database)

CakePHP (www.cakephp.org) as a framework.

• 3 weeks later...
Rails is the future

So were the New Kids on the Block once... Thank God that ended quickly.

Rails is the equivalent of Visual Studio users pretending they are writing real code. You aren't.

I applaud anyone willing to learn Ruby, and I applaud the attempt at making web database integration easier with Rails, but the fact is that easier usually only leads to lazy programmers. I prefer to control my site's function on a granular level. Rails doesn't do anything for me in that regard.

=)

• 2 weeks later...
So were the New Kids on the Block once... Thank God that ended quickly.

Rails is the equivalent of Visual Studio users pretending they are writing real code. You aren't.

I applaud anyone willing to learn Ruby, and I applaud the attempt at making web database integration easier with Rails, but the fact is that easier usually only leads to lazy programmers. I prefer to control my site's function on a granular level. Rails doesn't do anything for me in that regard.

=)

Disagree thoroughly. RoR allows you the finest level of control, yet allows you to abstract or automate at your leisure. To say that you can't control even the tiniest level of the operation of your application is not true. The beauty of RoR is the process by which you can remove repetitive coding, and it's large library of built-in functions. If these aren't features to you, then you can write it all from the ground up in Ruby.

• 3 weeks later...
php 5, but i stick with 4 for some critical tasks

perl

asp (yeah yeah i know, but some custumers are IIS addicted.. so...)

DBs

oracle

mysql 4, 5 doesn't work so good

postgresql

sql server (read asp...)

no frameworks...

i want to know if apache web server on mac os x86 it`s work fine.. for you, i have a 403, error, forbiden, this error it`s i don`t haver permission to view this folder,,, or something like that,, the permissions ?

• 1 month later...

We've had the discussion at work, that ASP / microsoft technologies is the norm in the business world. So the reasoning was, we should use ASP/.NET so we could find a developer to replace another one that might leave.

Any comments?

(fyi: I completely disagree with the part about having a hard time to find a good php developer, but anyway)

I LOVE PHP, it's my favorite language, and I find it almost fun to code. I usually use version 4, sometimes with MySQL 4 but I also like flat-file because it's way easier than MySQL, but with no security.

I've always been a hardline PHP guy myself, but I'm curious to see what everyone else here uses to code the "workhorse" of their web stuff. I know Ruby on Rails has become quite popular recently, but I just haven't been able to convince myself to try it out. Also, what frameworks do you use as a base for your websites?

I've just switched to MacOSX and I'm trying to run Ruby Rails on it. Do you know of any good online How-Tos on this? All the sites i have visited talk about RoR on iBook but not specifically on Tiger. Thanks.

ASP is basicly VB script for the web, it works ok.. but I find the on-line community lacking, look at any script libraries, they are serverly lacking with asp scripts.

but for my neeeds it was fairly easy, just a pain in the rear to get to work well on linux and MySQL

I miss the old internet, I code in HTML. Very basic and easy. It's fast and there isn't any debugging needed.

I don't program huge sites, but it does the job. More languages and databases just makes it more prone to bugs.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm all for a minimalist/modern approach - for me it's HTML X,D & CSS, AJAX for when you want to tightly integrate style with function to create something that is web only, not just flat-design; it gets you thinking in a different way. And RoR for app dev (which is infrequent...). Those guys at 37Signals have got the exact idea of web-development, they are 100% correct all of the time

• 2 months later...