If OSX came out legally for the PC, would you buy it?

MAC OSX for PC  

551 members have voted

1. 1. If Apple released OSX for the PC, would you buy it?

• YES!!!!!!
    • No....
    • Probably
    • Probably not...
    • Just Maybe

82 posts in this topic

1. PCI slots need to work.

2. Needs to work on an AMD

3. usb has to work

4. AC97..or just any damn audio card needs to work

right now this osx86 is a toy to me. If these issues could get sorted out...I MAY bay osx...but they prolly wont..

Well if they came out with OS X for a regular machine like ours, obviously all that will be supported. Its not like they are just gonna sell it, and it wont work...That would be pointless.

Apple seems to be a smart company in that over time, they've been able to keep their OS locked to their own hardware and that philosophy adds a strong selling point to buying genuine mac hardware: stability. If they've learned one thing from the massive amounts of posts on this website: there is definitely an interest in dual booting as well as an interest in being able to build and customize your own Macbox. So if they end up reading this little post...why don't they offer two ways to buy a mac: One section on their site to buy a Macinabox(all of their current mac offerings from the Imacs to the Powermacs) and another section on their site to build your own system. The latter would be for techies like us who like to build and tweak their own boxes with the advantage of being able to select each genuine part of the Macbox we want to buy (case, motherboard, hard drive, memory, OSX, etc.). They could even offer limited support for these build your own boxes, allow us to put them together at home, and of course continue to charge an arm and a leg for their awesome hardware and software. After all, they started building their hardware in a garage...so why can't we?

When, and I mean WHEN, Apple sells OS X to Dell to ship with their PCs, I'm gonna buy a Dell, take the restoration disk, and load it onto my regular PC. If it can work on a Dell, it can work on a homebrew box.

That might be hard. Dell don't seem to supply restore discs any more, just a BIOS (Or possibly just BIOS activated) util for starting the Hard disk from scratch (It seems Dell's OS installers are loaded onto the drive

I'd buy it without thinking about it. I've been after a Mac for over a year, but my parents got a Dell. A good one, the virtually uknown due to rapid and inexplicable discontinuation DImension 5150b, but still, a Dell, not a Mac. I looked at getting a laptop on my own money, but used laptops are stupid-pricey compared to used PCs of the same era, so OS X.86 is my last resort.

They never told ME that. Damn I hate them. (It was obtained through the government's "A computer for every home" thing, which is why it doesn't say "iMac" on it) That's it, I'm taking their logo off my OS X.86 wallpaper's "System Setup" box.

• 2 months later...
if OS X comes out on PC, say hello to viruses

Why do you say this? Linux runs on a PC and I don't have hoards of viruses on it like I do my Windows side. I think that those writing viruses do it because they hate M$, writing a viruse for any operating system is very doable I don't care which OS your talking about.

• 4 weeks later...
people who voted no are pretty disgusting, its cheaper than windows, better than windows and you obviously want to use it as you are on here! if something is worth using, its worth paying for!

your a {censored}... im on here, and i voted no, i voted no not because i can pirate it, but because windows does all i want and more, i know how to set up windows in 15 min or less of a fresh format, and all my games are released for it.... if u make assumtions about people you end up making an ass of your self, welcome to the forums btw :D

max

Right now I wouldn't simply because neither of my computers have SSE2 or SSE3. (IBM Thinkpad T21 and Homemade Athlon XP based machine). However, if I owned a compatible PC I might buy it ( It would actually be the first OS bought since Compaq DOS 3.31 =) )

Erik

Reading this thread only serves to solidify my belief that Apple will never release Vanilla OS X.

Everyone wants this or that hardware to work. That's not realistic.

Microsoft caters to the legacy crowd. Apple doesn't and isn't going to. It is not cost effective.

How many of you would pay for it if it was released but had a certain hardware set it could work with?

Let's say that it only worked with the same hardware we've managed to hack it to work on and with?

How many of you pony up and pay for the copy you are running already?

I would.

Reading this thread only serves to solidify my belief that Apple will never release Vanilla OS X.

Microsoft caters to the legacy crowd. Apple doesn't and isn't going to. It is not cost effective.

How many of you would pay for it if it was released but had a certain hardware set it could work with?

Let's say that it only worked with the same hardware we've managed to hack it to work on and with?

I would.

yes, i would have to sadly agree with you rogabean... you make quite good points.

:(

max

I would pay for it, but I am hell bent to get my a iBook or Macbook (based of price since I don't need it for super heavy things) and let my pc tower game for me. Though I think this issue of wanting OSX on a vanilla boxes would be mute, if Apple offered a tower machine that was reasonably priced, not a super computer like the Mac Pro, and upgradable. Also lower their Macbook prices.

No, I would not buy it.

I will be purchasing a Mac mini either tomorow or the day after and after having used an iMac all summer long, it is inconcievable that i buy my computers from any company other than apple.

I've owned many types of laptops and desktops, and used more than i can count. Toshiba, Dell, HP, Sony, Acer: No company has pleased me with my buy more than the iMacs I bought last spring (three: two for my workplace and one for a relative). Apple has really satisfied me by taking care of problems for me and making info easier to find.

Example: I had a major problem with a HP notebook a few years old. Same exact problems as the current Macbooks, although that is now fixed. HP NEVER offered any solutions even after sending it in for repair three times.

Dell's site is so big i need to chat with a rep just to answer a question in the least amount of time: Apple's is nicely organized IMO.

Toshiba's support stinks. I'll stop here.

Sony makes nice decent computers all-around, and if i hadn't switched to OS X, I would probably go out and buy a Sony.

I just really have been taken care of with Apple. It's easy to get help and the OS renders it unecessary. Hell, two of the iMacs are use only in Windows because we have used Windows for years and they run better than the last whitebox PCs we had!

So even if the OS came out, there is just so much more than Mac OS X going for the Macintosh line of computers. And that's not even getting into the whole hardware + software Apple Experience.

-Urby

Not gonna argue with you there Urby. I love my actual Apple machines. The hardware + software experience is great hands down.

I still like to have at least one machine to tinker with.. like right now I have the gateway. It's just fun for me to have one machine to tinker. I would of course highly prefer that I was doing so legally.

It's more a tinker/legal thing for me. So I would buy one copy.

Seeing as I build all my "PC" boxes from scratch I'd say "HELL YEAH", but if I bought generic Dell, HP, Gateway etc machines I'd not bother and just buy the damned mac hardware to start with :)

But seeing as I'm also a "tinkerer" I'd love the opportunity to legally buy OSX to run on whatever hardware I chose to, I wouldn't mind if it was more of an OEM edition with drastically reduced support (but obviously still having access to security updates/product fixes etc).

I hope it will happen one day!

:( <-- teehee! how cute is that!?

I would.

I would.

If i was Apple, i will release a special version with a special pci(e) card containing EFI firmware and a TPM chip, for the price of a Mac mini, as an appealing/promotional product, so that the interest to osx will grow in the windoze user base.

This special version, of course, will not work without this special card.

But the problem then is to face with the millions of calls to the help center and support requests from the windoze n00bs. :(

So that, some time after, if i was Apple, i will react as Jas (God bless him) did:

Completely disgusted and tired by the reactions of my users base, i will abandon the game and release PowerPC-only versions of my OS. :)

Yes I would.

IMHO, Apple could overcome most problems by selling it *only* bundled with motherboards.

Maybe they could also make you sign an EULA where you agree to use Apple supported hardware only.

I don't think they would have many support problems this way: Jo User doesn't buy a mobo plus an OS.

Apple hasn't cared very much about its geek users, IMHO. Maybe "tolerating" this forum is their way of doing that now. After all most of us would buy a Mac if the conditions were right. For me that means a mid-range desktop (and I suppose for a lot of other people too)