162 replies to this topic

omni

omni

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 286 posts
Hey Hagar,

technically, this thread was more of a statement than solicitation for responses. Some people were complaining (there's always someone) that I had a driver working, but no CI/QE/GL, so I thought to put my foot in their mouth, that's all :D

Otherwise, do as you see fit, I appreciate mods attention to reduce clutter.

thanks

MOIKAI

MOIKAI

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts
dear omni
Great work. Can you please confirm if this would work on an ati 9200.

dio

dio

The Dio

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts
Just a stupid question, ...

With this driver is it possible to create a dualview?

Thank you.

omni

omni

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 286 posts
Someone asked about some games, so I tried Tribal Trouble and it seems to be working ok, thought there are some glitches in windowed mode, but not sure if that's my system or the game or the driver. Either way the game resolution scales nicely up to 1600x1200 (my LCD max).

This screenshot was taken on a Viewsonic VP201b LCD, running in analog (CRT) mode, since I am still re-working the DFP support (due to lack of I2C/DDC)

P.S. I've updated the screenshot, was way too big, no reason for a whole desktop to show.

Attached Files

najt

najt

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts
Could you please check if there is color banding with your driver thru DVI as explained in this thread -> http://forum.osx86pr...topic=13107&hl=

this is a serious issue. thank you

munky

munky

Agent of Evolution

• Retired
  • 2,901 posts
Mod action: Pruned some more useless or off-topic posts. Lets stay on-topic people.

PM me if you think your post was unfairly deleted.

manmal

manmal

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 439 posts
Great work omni!
Just a question : Does your driver support dual display too (not mirror mode) connecting both vga & dvi connectors of your ati video card to 2 monitors?
Thanks!
Mal

omni

omni

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 286 posts

Great work omni!
Just a question : Does your driver support dual display too (not mirror mode) connecting both vga & dvi connectors of your ati video card to 2 monitors?
Thanks!
Mal

It does not support dual monitors at the moment.

mgt42

mgt42

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts
Omni, i have two questions for you.

- are you working alone in the ATI frame buffer proyect ?
- have you plans for release the source code for getting help from another programmers from this or other forums (aka GNU style) ?

I think you and every Mac x86 programmer/Hacker can improve his work sharing the source code and requesting help, this is my humble opinion .

Note: Im only a hobbist programmer, not too advanced for helping here :D, but someone in this forum can help.

omni

omni

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 286 posts

Omni, i have two questions for you.

- are you working alone in the ATI frame buffer proyect ?
- have you plans for release the source code for getting help from another programmers from this or other forums (aka GNU style) ?

I think you and every Mac x86 programmer/Hacker can improve his work sharing the source code and requesting help, this is my humble opinion .

Note: Im only a hobbist programmer, not too advanced for helping here :blink:, but someone in this forum can help.

- Yes
- No

omni

omni

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 286 posts
I just want to comment on something, which is trully aggrevating me. It seems with some (if not most) people it never ends.

At first people were complaining about lack of resolution change and refresh change. So someone (me in this case) sat down, learnt what needs to be done because nobody else truly cares (else we'd have 100s of developers and not just a handful) and made a driver that does it.
Around the same time another group started complaining about lack of QE/CI/GL with this driver and how that's terribly important as well. And yet that part was rectified as as well, so there is QE/CI/GL co-existing with my driver.

Now I am hearing complaints how dual monitors are not supported (this is nothing to do with the poster on the previous page, there were others who were asking about dual monitors before).

So I am asking, does it ever end with you people? Are you ever going to be happy (past the fact getting your hands on my driver)?
Because if I am going to start getting nagging after I release an alpha version of the driver, how this doesnt work or that doesnt work (like dual monitors, TV out, video capture and other things), I am contemplating not releasing anything at all.

I am not a resident ATI developer, I never liked ATI and actually prefer NVidia over it. I took upon myself to write a driver because I was desperate at one point of time to have a different resolution on my screen due to lack of NVidia drivers with appropriate acceleration. But things have changed since...Thus, if you want all features of your ATI working you should consider buying a real Mac computer which has it all working 100%.

There, I said what was on my mind, take it anyway you like it.

lilitz

lilitz

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
I'd be happy with the possibility of changing resolution and acceleration cappabilities within (QE) please omni, forget comments like those. and thanks for your work. It's very important for many of us.

Proteo

Proteo

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 683 posts
I knew it could happen. Seriously people, stop posting here just to ask when it will be released or to ask for more features. Let the guy finish it!

doggyworld

doggyworld

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts
Omni, I think I can speak for everyone that we truely appreciate your contributions. That being said, software support really never ends with any piece of software. There's always room for improvement and bug fixes. Even if you had a fully working ATI driver, people would be asking for the ability to tweek the clock speeds, allow TV output, etc.. If this is really too much to handle, I'd suggest just releasing the software and source code so others can build on what you've already done. Granted, it's really your own perogative if you want to keep the software and not release it to anyone, but eventially, I'd think that someone else is going to create a driver and have to go through the same hurdles you did, so you'd really be doing that person a favor.

I just want to comment on something, which is trully aggrevating me. It seems with some (if not most) people it never ends.

At first people were complaining about lack of resolution change and refresh change. So someone (me in this case) sat down, learnt what needs to be done because nobody else truly cares (else we'd have 100s of developers and not just a handful) and made a driver that does it.
Around the same time another group started complaining about lack of QE/CI/GL with this driver and how that's terribly important as well. And yet that part was rectified as as well, so there is QE/CI/GL co-existing with my driver.

Now I am hearing complaints how dual monitors are not supported (this is nothing to do with the poster on the previous page, there were others who were asking about dual monitors before).

So I am asking, does it ever end with you people? Are you ever going to be happy (past the fact getting your hands on my driver)?
Because if I am going to start getting nagging after I release an alpha version of the driver, how this doesnt work or that doesnt work (like dual monitors, TV out, video capture and other things), I am contemplating not releasing anything at all.

I am not a resident ATI developer, I never liked ATI and actually prefer NVidia over it. I took upon myself to write a driver because I was desperate at one point of time to have a different resolution on my screen due to lack of NVidia drivers with appropriate acceleration. But things have changed since...Thus, if you want all features of your ATI working you should consider buying a real Mac computer which has it all working 100%.

There, I said what was on my mind, take it anyway you like it.

curlyboy

curlyboy

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 872 posts
Well personally id be more than happy with omnis driver right now as it stands and if it blew me monitor so what id just need to buy another what im saying is omnis trying in his own personal time to do us all here a favour so why not just leave him alone and stop moaning and asking for other features be happy with what you get it anything

just my 2 bobs worth :blink:

CardassianVole

CardassianVole

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts
Omni, I don't believe people are trying to complain about this. They are just excited about the possibilities that this could bring. Even if there are some that truly have a bad intent and are pushing you, I believe that the vast majority of us appreciate what you are doing and are patiently waiting to see what it can do. If it works for all of us then great, if it doesn't then we are no worse off than before. Thank you for your efforts. Try not to let bad things get to you.

moomoo

moomoo

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 38 posts
Unfortunately it is human nature that people can never be satisfied with what they have. Perhaps it is a side effect of sentience/consciousness -- that we must constantly improve upon or perhaps just demand constant improvement from others on something. Unfortunately, alot of the time this can transpire into greed and selfishness.

Its too bad that people need to constantly nag for feature rather than just saying "Progress looks good, looking forward to seeing more." You've pretty much been working on this since 10.4.1 if I remember from the early, early posts in like october, IE. before the partly working driver for the RV350 radeons was commited in 10.4.3. From your recent screen shots it looks like you've learned alot, so even if you don't end up releasing anything at all, atleast you learned alot about IOkit and driver implementation.

I recently started working on a speedstep implementation along-side phb, except I was working from code from beos, and already I've learned quite a bit. I haven't said anything explicitly to avoid the problems you've been dealing with. With that said hopefully you won't get bored with it, though it tends to be a trend with programmers... my self included ; ) (I've started and haven't finished too many projects to even comprehend heheh. ) If you do though, anything you can contribute to say, other people interested in continuing development (who you think is competent enough of course) would, I'm sure be much appreciated by the rest of the community.

Good luck and great work!

r0ck3r4ever

r0ck3r4ever

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts
I agree with you Omni... You have the right upon your source code, if you don't release it in any form is not like the end of the world. Of course there will be side effects, like getting all the ppl frustrated... But they should learn that you don't own them a thing. And also as you said you shouldn't release the source code because maybe Apple will tweak their os and prevent us to have it working wonderful in further releases/updates. With Leopard a new kernel will be developed and who knows how hard it will be to hack it to run on our pc's, ppl enjoy what you have right now cos who knows what the future brings and be patient and let Omni finish his job... don't push him, because to write a driver is a big deal especial when you don't have any documentation for this purpose. If you want full support sell your pc and get a mac.

chapel

chapel

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts
Well I try not to post unless it has a reason, and I think this is an appropriate time to post.

I first of all want to thank you omni, for all your hard work and your effort that youve put into a project that ultimately you have no obligation to work on.

What that said, I hope you do release something, because there are alot of people that would be happy to try anything.

I will let you know, I completely understand that its crazy how when youre trying to create one thing, and people take what progress you have made, and then request everything under the moon in addition to the kitchen sink. Its part of this community, its part of any software that is in high demand. I honestly think though, people would be happy with a proper driver that allows for resolution and refresh rate change and nothing else. If they dont like it, they dont have to use it, and thats the truth.

It makes me mad that people act like they wouldnt be happy with a simple driver, and want more and more. It is that behavior that has made omni work harder than he should have to, and it is delaying the driver indefinitely. If you want it soo badly, then wait for it, or make your own. He is completely right that no one in this community except for a certain few actually answered the call to develope anything. I understand that programming and developing custom software/drivers is not an easy task, but its not impossible, and its not like everyone that picks up those tasks really was an expert before hand.

At first this community seemed fun and new, like linux used to be, but its starting to get annoying and filled with people that have no clue wtf they are doing. They flood the community with stupid questions, with mindless posts and in the end, the people that actually try to help end up repeating themselves over and over again instead of dealing with real issues that dont have any known solution. There is a plethora of information on the forums and the wiki that 80% of the questions/posts on this forum could be answered with.

I guess this has turned into a rant about the community, but its true, people you need to suck it up and realize you need to use your brains and be patient. If you cant do that then gtfo. Ive been contemplating creating a comprehensive tutorial site organizing and making information easier to understand and read so alot of the questions and posts that are put on this forum would have been addressed before hand using their own intelligence. But Im starting to feel like omni, and that its almost not worth it, that all the hard work we put in would go to waste in the end.

People dont burn the community down because you are impatient or stupid, read, learn, experiment, if you dont understand something, use google, it works trust me. I only ask as a last resort when I have expended all my sources of information, I wish everyone else would do the same.

Im sorry for the long rant, but it needed to be said!

two_am

two_am

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts
Progress looks good, looking forward to seeing more....

:D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy