2009 Live DVD

• Please log in to reply
123 replies to this topic

realityiswhere

realityiswhere

Insanely Unreal

• Retired
  • 345 posts

Where can I download the live DVD or I have to use the existing (iDeneb / iATKOS) one?

There is no official livedvd at this time, the post made outlines how to make your own. Also, if one becomes available, it would be illegal to link to it or tell of it's location, just like every other release, you'd have to find it yourself.

So I am trying to take this all in. I am a little past newbie to Hackintosh, and a long time power user of OSX. I am trying to figure out what all the benefits are of this system. It sounds like it can be updated without having to reapply kexts, etc.? It also seems that it may have performance benefits being that it is a ram disk. So am I correct to assume that your main install always boots as a RAM disk, or is that only for installation purposes?

It's a livedvd.. like a Linux livecd, you could boot into a fully working installed OS X system right off of the dvd without having a working install on your hard drive. Literally, you would boot off of the dvd into a live OS X system.

NFOav8or

NFOav8or

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Donators
  • 14 posts
This is awesome! I've been trying to use modbin's method as well as follow the X Dev team notes and create my own for about a month now. I wish I had known about this method back then.

Hats off to you, bud.

Windows04

Windows04

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 214 posts
Allright a little question about the how to ;).

1) You say that we need to prepare the target media with boot-123, do you mean the DVD we want to create or the pc we want to boot the dvd from?

2) The IOHDIXController.kext, do we need to copy it from our "normal" installation and then modify it en put the modified IOHDIXController.kext on our Live DVD?

3) Also, if we have our DMG, do we just need to burn that DMG onto a DVD or do we only need to make a DMG if we want to use a live USB stick?

geminimac

geminimac

Italian Staff Squad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,417 posts
excellent try him immediately ...

GREAT WORK! ;)

geminimac

pocopico1

pocopico1

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts
Wow sounds like it works better than any other approach so far at least it take advantage of features already in place. Well done ! i'm gonna try it ASAP.

It would be great though to have a working live solution that will be constant to everybody... i see a great opportunity for glory for the people that will be starting this ..

forster

forster

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts
Hats off indeed, I look forward to seeing what comes next :)

3Dman

3Dman

a3Dman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 490 posts
Thanks good work done :)

bisdak4920

bisdak4920

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts
I have been using ideneb 10.5.5 booting directly from a portable hard drive. I think this is better and faster than a dvd boot. Unlike Windows Mac will not modify your internal drive or drive c when you install and boot from your portable HD.

Onetrack

Onetrack

one who makes the world tick

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 267 posts
Would this allow net-booting through pxe ?

Is that a possibility?

Jeezoflip

Jeezoflip

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 651 posts
  • Interests:Computers of course!
GOD BLESS

NeooFoXxX

NeooFoXxX

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts
Must I have a running OS X to create the Live DVD?

socal swimmer

socal swimmer

socal swimmer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 914 posts
  • Interests:swim, learning, computers
spartango: how do i prepare a dvd with boot-132?

clipt81

clipt81

InsanelyMac Deity

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,808 posts
  • Interests:NOTEBOOK: HP Pavilion DV9695el <br />Leopard retail 10.5.5<br />CPU: Intel Core2...
10.5.2 should I use? or can even 10.5.5?

Oxtie

Oxtie

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 351 posts
This is cool :( assuming the RamDisk is fastest part of system, OSX on RamDisk should be cool kewl :D

Dense

Dense

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 230 posts
0. You'll need to hack IOHDIXController.kext abit. Show its package contents, find Info.plist and change "Network-Root" to "Root". Do that for all its plugins as well. Regenerate Extensions.mkext.

This is not needed if you use kextcache -n (which includes network extensions). Those of us who have been building Install DVDs have known about this for a while. For some bizarre reason the Ramdisk support was flagged network however its needed for a local boot due to the creation of the small ramdisks. IMHO a bug by Apple but its better to just create a mkext cache with the networking files in it (speeds up boot time because reading the mkext cache is faster than reading the individual files).

7. Now, boot from that media. at the darwin prompt, provide the params:
-v -f -s rp=file:///live.dmg

Shouldn't need the -f if you build the kextcache with -n and -l.

AMurphy

AMurphy

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
Once I install Mac OSX Leopard after I create the live CD? OR would a better route be to just download and install?

WannaBeApple

WannaBeApple

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts
Perfect and great!

Your my God :P

Cris900

Cris900

iDeneb Team Maker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,246 posts

Must I have a running OS X to create the Live DVD?

yes....

d1photo2002

d1photo2002

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Ok so i am very new to this. For now I need to know where is the genius bar?

john825

john825

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
You are awesome! I hope I can learn as much about this great SO. Thanks.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy