Psystar claims Apple doesn't own rights on OS X

~pcwiz

146 posts in this topic

logo.png

The well known clone maker Psystar has made the next attempt in its series of desperate measures to justify selling Apple clones. Psystar has now made a statement that because Apple did not file the copyright for the Mac OS X operating system at the U.S. Copyright Office, Apple's copyright claims are invalid and that they cannot enforce this upon Psystar without owning the copyright. Apple's copyright registration number TX0005401457, created in 2001 (around the time that OS X was introduced) files a copyright on a "software program" named Mac OS X, but Psystar argues that this is not the copyright that they filed for Mac OS X. However, if, however unlikely, it proves to be true then this could be a calling for clone makers everywhere to start hitting the shelves with their own Frankenmacs. Even then, Apple could still file the copyright while the trial is in progress, although it is not clear how much of an effect that would really have.

Original Story

I love the OSX86 community and OS X in my hackintosh, however, I really hate Psystar and all his businesses with regard OS X in their product. First, OS X in PC is just a hobby, I don't really think you can make a business from OS X, the only one who do this and have all the rights is Apple. Second, the only one who at the end is going to lose is our community, right now if Apple want, they can shut down insanelymac and all these Mac clone makers. They own the rights to do whatever they want, they design, manufacture and sell Apple computers and OS X.

Psystar are a bunch of ****s. they need to lose for the sake of the OSX86 community.

I dont get this... it would make more sence that the OSX86 comunity would grow if pystar won... because more people would be doing this.. and thus more handy people will be making more things work in osx86 and on more hardware....

and it wouldnt effect us in anyway if they won... you could still carry on doing what your doing now...

@urgonah8me ....no this would not help the hobbiest seeing as how even if the won it would pry only be for 10.5 and thats it and still would not make it so that apple cant stp you on the digital part of things and just switch to 10.6 and locking it down and instead of putting 1 file in there that says not to run on other hardware it will be like all the files stamped with a big **** you message cause pystar has given them a reason to give a {censored} about the hobbiest now

Apple are still against what we do anyway being it a hobby or not.. its still ilegal and I am sure that they tried damn hard to stop us from doing what we do.... just as always someone found a way around it.

I know that, but my point is if Apple want, they can shut down all these communities with regard OSX86. What Psystar is doing is injecting more hate and legal challenge from Apple. This is not going to help either Psystar or OSX86, what at the end is going to happen is what I describe previously.

Apple can shut us down at any random point but I think the reason they dont do it is because whats stopping us just rebuilding a forum again and again... they can keep chasing but its nothing they can permanatly shutdown

That's truth and also I think but I am not sure, indirectly Apple benefits from us, because many us (including myself) has switched (illegally of course) to OS X, and what I mean for is that all future computers and planned one will be only real Apple computers. ;)

I always believed that OS x86 (However indirectly) does ultimately benefit Apple; since many from this community have gone on to make the full switch to Apple Hardware. And also, many buy accessories like Apple Keyboards and Mice to make their experiences more genuine; thus benefiting apple. If Psystar persist in this futility, Apple are more and more likely to just throw down the hammer once and for all on all of this mac-cloning activity and then this community will be destroyed.

Or worse still, they could go down the MS route and put Activation codes and Product keys and Serial Keys on every piece of software that comes out of Cupertino.

Or worse still, they could go down the MS route and put Activation codes and Product keys and Serial Keys on every piece of software that comes out of Cupertino.

At least not for Leopard, they could make it for Snow Leopard (unlikely to happen, but you never know)

I still don't believe apple has anything against the osx86 community. The only reason I use OS X on my PC is because I hate using Microsoft Vista. Apple knows it has a great OS, and could've gone down the Microsoft product activation road any time. Although psystar might change all that for us now. Hopefully apple will win their case and this community lives on

The easiest thing Apple could do to destroy the whole OSx86 community, is just pull selling OSX in their stores. Just push out upgrades via Software Update. Can't be that hard to put in the ability to purchase through it, or the online apple store with a link that opens Software Update. Doing this, there would be no argument on a clone makers part of "You can't tell me what to do after I purchased the software". The only people who would have it on a Non-Apple computer, would be some one who pirated an old copy of Leopard/Tiger.

Which, doing this would be a real hit for the OSx86 community. I don't own a copy of Leopard yet, but I plan on making my Hack as Legit as possible soon by getting a copy. I doubt if I will ever purchase an Apple desktop, because I would prefer to build my own. However, an Apple laptop is a definite possibility in the near future.

I dont get this... it would make more sence that the OSX86 comunity would grow if pystar won... because more people would be doing this.. and thus more handy people will be making more things work in osx86 and on more hardware....

and it wouldnt effect us in anyway if they won... you could still carry on doing what your doing now...

and apple would be just an usual pc.. oh great! psystar is going by the bad way... OSX86 project is other way. don't mix things

PSYSTAR MUST DIE!!!

While I have absolutely no opinion as to the necessity for "Death to Psystar", I'll just point out that nearly all the most recent OSX86 "releases" are using Psystar's R1000 fix and Psystar's stop fix.

While I have absolutely no opinion as to the necessity for "Death to Psystar", I'll just point out that nearly all the most recent OSX86 "releases" are using Psystar's R1000 fix and Psystar's stop fix.

Totally true. It would be nice if they were doing more things like that rather than attempt to commercialize OSx86 :angel:

I have nothing against Psystar. They paid for OSX, they should be able to do whatever they want with it. If I buy a piece of toast I can put it in a blu ray player. Nothing is stopping me from doing whatever I want with what I buy. Openhaltrestart.kext is a great kext...

I have nothing against Psystar. They paid for OSX, they should be able to do whatever they want with it. If I buy a piece of toast I can put it in a blu ray player. Nothing is stopping me from doing whatever I want with what I buy. Openhaltrestart.kext is a great kext...

Although I do love their OpenHaltRestart kext and hope they create more contributions to the OSX86 project, I do disagree with the way they have commercialized the hard work made by so many people in this community.

Okay, so I guess I'm out of the loop a bit here... but what is the Openhaltrestart kext exactly? And when did it join the OS x86 scene?

Its a great kext that gives you working shutdown and restart on OSx86. They also developed Realtek R1000 Enhanced, a better version of the original Realtek R1000 kext by DaemonES.