Psystar claims Apple doesn't own rights on OS X

~pcwiz

146 posts in this topic

And your making this all based on the assumption that apple OWE's you their experience under your terms ..... they really don't that life move on.

If apple was to just start selling you the software to run on any PC they would loose sooo much money it would make it pretty much worth more their time to just drop OSX and the mac all together and just sell ipods and then where would we be at back to straight freebsd.

Im a unix admin but i dont wanna run that thing as a desktop.

hmm the other option .. would be they open source OSX and then make new OS that has nothing to do with unix and OSS that will pry BLOW and then charge you your arm and leg and then they can be corprate douchebags like Microsuckers and winbloze.

@Maxintosh ... welcome back to the insanity that is 15 year olds talking about legal garbage

Point taken, that's true. People (consumers) are highly biased (see Windows)

But what makes you think consumers can't be bisased to a OS X on PCs, as consumers are biased to

iPods (other producs are similar sometimes even better, but Apple has got the most marketshare by far.)

Also there are a lot of companies in need of computers and OS'es (also a huge market).

These people don't think in much in biased termes they think to the economics of it.

Those peole talk about cost of ownership. They will buy OS X cos it's far cheaper than to run Windows.

A lot of these professionals are highly fed up with their last Vista experiance and switched back.

Also excange on iPhone, iPod touch and Snow Leo, Grand Cental and no real multicore solution on

Windows for upcomming 8-16 core CPUs. Consumer won't need them...

@pontifex22 .... multicore intel cpu are rather cheap to get into any more consumers will be able to use them and companies that are looking at the econnomices thinking gee OSX should work on anything not that they care about it working on mac or pc just that they can get it really cheap..... this applys to apple too they are a company too and it would destroy them ecconomicly if they did this and they made osx they have the right to use it in their favor the other companies can either pay up ... or use vista.... its that simple and if people would pull their heads out there ass and actually look at how much $$ is spent in the upkeep of a {censored} box with windows server or other wise it is actually cheaper in the long run the apple way

... welcome back to the insanity that is 15 year olds talking about legal garbage

You're very generous to consider them to be as much as 15 ;)

But what makes you think consumers can't be bisased to a OS X on PCs

Well for one, it wouldn't run as good, and Apple shouldn't have to babysit ever incarnation of PC possible.

@slacker25

" its that simple and if people would pull their heads out there ass and actually look at how much $$ is spent in the upkeep of a {censored} box with windows server or other wise it is actually cheaper in the long run the apple way "

Quite right!

If OS X on Pcs will be their solution we'll see. One month before Windows 7 I'll see. Like we all.

All speculation - only Steve will know for sure...

Edit @Maxintosh

"Well for one, it wouldn't run as good, and Apple shouldn't have to babysit ever incarnation of PC possible."

Just like this comunity does and Apple can't, ehh?

@Maxintosh .... i know i didnt wanna hurt anyones feeling you know how touchy 5 year olds can be.

and good point on apple not babysitting... wouldnt want them to be M$ then start charging you and billion every time you call for support cause you didnt listen the first time and install it on their hardware

@pontifex22 .. from my self being in an eviroment where ive had to admin windows, unix and mac osx ....... windows itself is horrible upkeep and the {censored} servers out there that pass for mid grad are only a few hundred dollors cheaper then the lowest xserver and thats with out the costly windows 2003 vol license and the unix and OSX stuff was near set it and forget itsetup.... as to where all the $$ in maintaining the horrid windows platform.

Just keep holding your breath steve jobs will laugh as you pass out waiting

@Maxintosh .... i know i didnt wanna hurt anyones feeling you know how touchy 5 year olds can be.

and good point on apple not babysitting... wouldnt want them to be M$ then start charging you and billion every time you call for support cause you didnt listen the first time and install it on their hardware

Now that just hurts man. You too maxintosh. All i'm trying to do is prove a point. We're having a mature argument, wouldn't you say pontifax? FTR i actually am fifteen. Don't be h8'n.

i programed a C64 when it came out but this is more of an state of mind sorta comment not so much your age and mostly commenting to Maxintosh cause last thread like this me and him kept it going i blieve it was something like 4 or 5 months

HA

wow. btw do you guys know anything about Kaly, Leo4All, or the Turk team planning a distro of Snow Leopard? i mean i'm sure they are, but any info? i'm also planning to install iAtkos v5i this weekend...currently i'm running Kalyway at 10.5.3.

hey Maxintosh...love your profile pic. I also saw a pic of the HP Touchsmart at a store in front of a big advertisement...and it has a BSOD. it was superfunny.

Just like this comunity does and Apple can't, ehh?

I didn't say that Apple couldn't if they wanted to, but why should they be burdened with such a thing. OS X works stellar on Macs and THAT'S why it has such a good reputation. Why should they hurt that reputation just because some yahoo wants to install their OS on a kit computer?

Now that just hurts man.

LOL :D I wasn't directing my point towards you. Sorry for the confusion. It was more toward some of the witless who have posted in this thread many a moon ago. Their comments will go down in history ;)

I just do stuff like OSX86 for fun.

Keep at it. You'll become very good at computers one day, and who knows, maybe even invent something that can help peoples lives.

Just don't go over to the dark side :P

i programed a C64 when it came out...

wow. btw do you guys know anything about Kaly, Leo4All, or the Turk team planning a distro of Snow Leopard? i mean i'm sure they are, but any info? i'm also planning to install iAtkos v5i this weekend...currently i'm running Kalyway at 10.5.3

... a kit computer?

And I miss Paradroids and Archon ... :P:P:D;)

Don't you think this can also be applied to the big x86 manufacturers, Dell, IBM, NEC, HP. They all make there own motherboards to fit inside there machines, they are not off the shelf boards. They then provide software drivers to make sure that there board works with the hardware they choose to use. They do the hassle of building and installing the software so the user can purchase a ready to go system from the shop. The techies amongst us don't care about this and will build our own systems with no support from anyone. Now Apple moving to Intel means moving to standard third party off the shelf parts, DVD drives, network cards, video cards but this is putting them in the same boat as the PC manufacturers, make your own motherboard, supply drivers to make it work but use off the shelf parts to complete it. The only thing making the difference then in the computer wars would be a direct head to head with Microsoft as to who is the better OS because both would be using x86 hardware. At the moment this is not the case because Apple can say they make there own hardware to work with there own OS so a direct head to head with Microsoft is nothing.

Personally i feel Apple would like to avoid a direct head to head confrontation with Microsoft because they might loose. Both OS's using x86 hardware, the winner being who's OS the customers prefer. At the moment OS X on x86 is currently all controlled by Apple but Psystar doing what they are doing is taking it out of there control and bringing it to the masses before Apple can put any legal binding wording on licenses for x86 OSx clones. If a free well supported OS like Linux is not able to put a dent in Microsoft, how do you think Apple are going to feel if they try and role out a paid for OS X for x86 hardware.

As far as support yes, the same applies. Dell only supports Dell hardware. Apple has it on 2 fronts. The hardware and the OS. Dell only supports the OS as far as using a re-image disk (I am over simplifying it I know, but you get what I mean). If you format your Dell laptop and install Linux, you won't get any support (Unless you had it bundled with Linux when you bought it). IF (and that's like IF I win the lotto) Apple went head to head with Microsoft in the OS arena, I think Apple would come out with at least 30-40% market share. The hardest area for Apple would be the corporate world. And, that's only because Apple doesn't focus on it at all. People WANT to dump Microsoft. As far as Linux goes, (and don't get me wrong, I love Linux,) it's NOT a valid option against Microsoft. Linux is too complicated for the average Joe to install. Those of us here, it's a trivial thing installing it and maintaining it, but think about Granny in Idaho. Can she install a bootloader and format disks and partition a swap file and set up a networking and config files??? How about config her X server?? How about compiling that new shiny kernel?? That's why you don't see Linux making any real progress in the masses. For scientific and such, Linux (and OSX) are the popular OS's.

Not true. Since OS X is supplied as part of every new Mac, all they need to do is to implement an option where the user could upgrade to the next new version (for example, Snow Leopard) via the Apple updater. No retail versions of OS X would ever need to be sold. Then they'll know who's hacking and who's not, and they can have complete control over the whole situation. Apple is not stupid and they are not sitting on their hands. They could have easily shut this community down if they wanted to a long time ago. They chose not to, probably because they wanted to learn something before they made their next move. That next move may be coming down the pike shortly :angel:

Exactly. Apple isn't stupid. Everyone forgets about the TPM chip on real Macs (among other things). Real Macs run on EFI not BIOS. Apple has a ton of options of detecting if it's running on a Hack or a real Mac. Don't take Apple's inaction so far as meaning that they are not going to do anything about the OSX86 scene. I think Apple wanted to see 2 things (by allowing the OSX86 scene to move along). 1] How big would the scene get? How much is it cutting into Apple's hardware sales?? 2] How are they getting around the measures in place to keep OSX from installing on non Apple hardware.

Fracking Psycrap is stirring up the hornet's nest and let's hope all the anger is solely directed at them and not the rest of us too....

As far as support yes, the same applies. Dell only supports Dell hardware. Apple has it on 2 fronts. The hardware and the OS. Dell only supports the OS as far as using a re-image disk (I am over simplifying it I know, but you get what I mean). If you format your Dell laptop and install Linux, you won't get any support (Unless you had it bundled with Linux when you bought it). IF (and that's like IF I win the lotto) Apple went head to head with Microsoft in the OS arena, I think Apple would come out with at least 30-40% market share. The hardest area for Apple would be the corporate world. And, that's only because Apple doesn't focus on it at all. People WANT to dump Microsoft. As far as Linux goes, (and don't get me wrong, I love Linux,) it's NOT a valid option against Microsoft. Linux is too complicated for the average Joe to install. Those of us here, it's a trivial thing installing it and maintaining it, but think about Granny in Idaho. Can she install a bootloader and format disks and partition a swap file and set up a networking and config files??? How about config her X server?? How about compiling that new shiny kernel?? That's why you don't see Linux making any real progress in the masses. For scientific and such, Linux (and OSX) are the popular OS's.

Exactly. Apple isn't stupid. Everyone forgets about the TPM chip on real Macs (among other things). Real Macs run on EFI not BIOS. Apple has a ton of options of detecting if it's running on a Hack or a real Mac. Don't take Apple's inaction so far as meaning that they are not going to do anything about the OSX86 scene. I think Apple wanted to see 2 things (by allowing the OSX86 scene to move along). 1] How big would the scene get? How much is it cutting into Apple's hardware sales?? 2] How are they getting around the measures in place to keep OSX from installing on non Apple hardware.

Fracking Psycrap is stirring up the hornet's nest and let's hope all the anger is solely directed at them and not the rest of us too....

You're absolutely right about this. But, I'm sure the reason they haven't shut down hacks is probably that they wanted to learn from this community everything relevant to either shutting hacks down or releasing their OS for pc's. If it's choice A, then i'm sure they're watching the forums that contain discussions such as what we would DO if they did shut us down, and everything that we have planned. If it's B, of course they're watching! They probably get so much information out of us! If* they are planning an X86 release, they are probably paying close attention to what we say is working and what's not. We have been talking about needed drivers, modifying kexts, and all of that sort, and if they needed it, they could come right here and find out what they need to do. Apple is pretty much in control of it all. We'll just have to see what happens... :angel:

Its more like up till now they have not cared much this site is large but not enough for them to care untill the works of psystar got out there and now they just letting it stay so they can learn to lock the system down more.