AppleVIAATA over 4gb RAM bug solved (at least i believe so)! JMicron and AppleNForceATA at development

• Please log in to reply
569 replies to this topic

mirkko

mirkko

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
slashack, you are a freaking GROSO! A hero! No less.

I've been looking for a solution to this problem for 3 weeks, I even went to change my RAM (I had to tell the guys at the shop that I was running Windows!) and today, when I got my new RAM and the problem persisted I started thinking about OS X and then I though of a Kext issue.... so I googled my problem looking for a kext for RAM (WTF?) but this thread came up and YOU had the solution.

I have 2 IDE hard drives and 1 SATA DVD-drive, so far so good. I've used your JMicronATA (0.6), 4GB of RAM.

Cheers from Río Negro... you know... Argentina.

PS for english readers: GROSO means "great", "huge", "giant" and similars, in spanish.

Dradis

Dradis

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts

Last update: 11/12/2008

Basically, the problem is when you have more than 3 gb of ram (some says 2.5 gb) and AppleVIAATA, JMicronATA, AppleNForceATA or AppleATIATA driver.

Great info!!! I've been having lock ups and KPs every time I leave the computer idol for a long period, like over night or going to work. Strangely, it seemed like the more I was doing the less likely this was. Since I don't use anything IDE in this computer, I just deleted JMicronATA.kext, which was the only one of these kexts i have. Up about 3 days now w/o a KP! Thanks!

impanel

impanel

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
AppleNForceATA seems to be working on my ASUS P5N32-E SLi. I upgraded from 2 to 6GB Ram and finally no more kernel panics. thanks

68iou1

68iou1

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Hello!

I seem to be having the same issue, I have an nforce chipset (used aitkos s3 v2 install). I downloaded the AppleNForceATA kext provided here and its the same one that was provided in the install cd ? Although AppleNForceATA kext is placed in the 'Extensions' Folder, its placed in the hidden 'Extra'/'Extensions' Folder. Also, there is jmicronata.kext in the 'system'/libary/extension folder. Should that be there? Since I dont have that chipset?

mixmux

mixmux

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts
hey
i know this topic is very old, but i get the same eroor now on a snow leopard by hazard...
work the Debugger on my sl?

mixmux

Guest: sincro77_*

Guest: sincro77_*
  • Guests
PLEASE:

Hi guys ,

heres the deal: RE: NFORCEATA.KEXT issue

- medevils v1.0.3 nforceata (96k filesize )works with sata dvd.
....but.. it has the over 4 gig bug still.... KP after 3 gigs.
the v1.0.3 (106k filesize) allows me to use over 4 gigs of ram but dvd is not working.

Can Some one PLEASE patch the medevil "test" or"untested" 1.0.3 (96k) for over 4gigs 32/64bit

PLEASE.???!!!

nabbl

nabbl

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
Is there any chance to get more than 2gb AND dvd-drives running?

ErOSx86

ErOSx86

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 27 posts
I have been having these issues, it took a while for me to realise that it was related to the ApplenForceATA kext.

I have a 780i chipset with 8gb of ram... it would be wonderful if i could use it all, i currently have version 1.04 of the kext and although I dont get kernel panics i get unrecoverable system freezes which do not give any useful information in the logs

I wonder what is the best kext to use in my case... though i figure they all suffer from the memory limit.

verdant

verdant

InsanelyMac V.I.P.

• Gurus
  • 5,547 posts
  • Interests:At home, I have the following computers......
    >
    >
    >
@ ErOSx86

It is all explained in my nForce OS X Lion and OS X Snow Leopard guides, where you can also download both the AppleNForceATA.kext by slashack for 32bit booting and imk's derivative for 64bit booting of OS X Lion and OS X Mountain Lion.....these kexts overcome the 3GB RAM limit of MedEvil's original AppleNForceATA.kext..... :)

Shaneee

Shaneee

AMD Dev Tester

• Local Moderators
  • 1,002 posts
  • Interests:Web Design. OS X. Music.
The latest NForceATA next works perfectly on my Snow Leopard and Lion on my Desktop listed in my sig. Thanks alot for this fix it was driving me mad.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy