Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3R?

315 posts in this topic

My EP45-DS3R upgradded to BIOS F10 has the optimized defaults enabled. Then I turned on AHCI, from there I set the boot order (CD, HD, USB). Restarted popped in GRUB-DFE and installed. However, now I use the EP45-DS3R ISO. I will do more testing with it tomorrow, and see if it is working for me. Regardless, you could install with the P35-DS4 or Grub DFE. Then install the Kexts in the extras folder from the EP45 ISO.

Sorry, but here goes....

Bios settings...

are you still using the install disk from the mac pro? if yes: you can´t use it to install on an other computer. you will always get "mac os x can´t be installed on this computer". you need a real retail disk.

I get paid at midnight tonight. I will be picking up a retail copy at the apple store tomorrow. really hope that's the problem. what is it that is different about a mac pro install disc? I mean...if you already owned a mac pro should you tell them that when you go to buy leo, or would you just purchase the retail? Ohh well that is for another topic. I will update tomorrow. Thanks.

Like I said I never could get any of the others to boot perhaps this is what is going on, when using the flags put -v with them so it boots in text mode at first then you can see where/if it fails before it starts the graphical installer.

I used iDeneb 10.5.5. and install without issue. In fact, I am replying this message from the very Leopard machine I just built. Sound still not working, so I need to download proper kext from this thread and patch it.

Nexidus, I know you're about to pull your hair out, but give iDeneb 10.5.5 a try. If successful, you are done, no need for combo updates. Your BIOS settings appear to be correct.

Thanks MacUser2525 and Generic George for all your help.

Cheers,

Steve

WOOHOO. I am replying to this post in Safari. I was searching through my old disc holder looking for memtest to run since i didn't have osx up and going and I found it! 10.5.0 retail from like 2 years ago or whatever. I took it from a friend to install on my ibook g4 and forgot to give it back. Worked great. Installer hung at the end and i just reset my system. Same with clearing caches after 10.5.4 combo update. So I guess I have a restart problem. But all that can be fixed. Thanks for everyones help. This is just too cool.

I used iDeneb 10.5.5. and install without issue. In fact, I am replying this message from the very Leopard machine I just built. Sound still not working, so I need to download proper kext from this thread and patch it.

Nexidus, I know you're about to pull your hair out, but give iDeneb 10.5.5 a try. If successful, you are done, no need for combo updates. Your BIOS settings appear to be correct.

Thanks MacUser2525 and Generic George for all your help.

Cheers,

Steve

Well, I patched the sound and got it show up in system profiler and working; however, the ps2 keyboard is now shot, perhaps the sound kexts screwed it up. Is there a patch for the ps2 keyboard that will just fix the keyboard w/o screwing anything else up? Or do I need to go buy a USB keyboard?

Thanks,

Steve

Well, I patched the sound and got it show up in system profiler and working; however, the ps2 keyboard is now shot, perhaps the sound kexts screwed it up. Is there a patch for the ps2 keyboard that will just fix the keyboard w/o screwing anything else up? Or do I need to go buy a USB keyboard?

Thanks,

Steve

Try the one I just seen a few minutes ago here if it does not work then yeah its a USB keyboard in your future.

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?s=&...st&p=949867

Here's one for you guys: I installed the retail DVD via grub-dfe.iso and got chameleon, efistrings working on my ep45-ds3r. No other kext's installed except for what was on the grub-dfe disk.

Everything works beautifully except for the onboard LAN, which is supposed to work OOB. OSX sees them (en1, en0), lists them in System Profiler, and it sometimes gets a DHCP address, but never has a working connection. I have tried static IP, it doesn't work - almost all pings (that's right, some are going through, but only 5%) aren't even getting through to the router connected via cable. The ports worked when I had vista on the system.

Any ideas/insight?

Seems like every single one of you had to pay dues for this mobo and in the end you are all thrilled with it working.

Is there really much of a difference between this board and the P5K PRO?

Alot of people recommend the P5K pro as it is a bit easier to handle.

Cant decide what mobo to get i think i need a little push from you guys ...

Seems like every single one of you had to pay dues for this mobo and in the end you are all thrilled with it working.

Is there really much of a difference between this board and the P5K PRO?

Alot of people recommend the P5K pro as it is a bit easier to handle.

Cant decide what mobo to get i think i need a little push from you guys ...

no - for me this board was really easy to install. everything except sound worked ootb. I wrote a very simple and small guide for it here http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?act...&pid=883119

for a daw based on that board I wrote a guide here (including hardware-list)

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?act...&pid=940826

Try the one I just seen a few minutes ago here if it does not work then yeah its a USB keyboard in your future.

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?s=&...st&p=949867

Hi MacUser2525,

Before I patch the ps2 keyboard, one question....Regarding functionality, is there any keys in the ps2 keyboard that the new USB apple aluminum (bluetooth/USB) can't do? If not, I'll just go buy the Apple USB keyboard and still be able to use it for Windows such as Parallels desktop.

Thanks,

Steve

Hi MacUser2525,

Before I patch the ps2 keyboard, one question....Regarding functionality, is there any keys in the ps2 keyboard that the new USB apple aluminum (bluetooth/USB) can't do? If not, I'll just go buy the Apple USB keyboard and still be able to use it for Windows such as Parallels desktop.

Thanks,

Steve

Good question I can't really answer for certain as it has been many years since I have used windows for anything thus it has never been installed on this machine. What I can tell you is that the USB Apple aluminum keyboard I have worked fine when I booted a Knoppix live DVD on this machine the F12 key works like it should to bring up the boot menu delete gets you into the BIOS.. so I think it functions as a PC keyboard would.

Hi there. I finally got my ds3p (not the R, but same chipset) and I'm trying to install it using Boot 132.

Did anyone try it? It doesn't work with the standard iso. I found a boot file to be changed inside that ISO, but I don't know how to edit an ISO file.

Can you help me out?

Hi MacUser2525,

Thanks,

Steve

I have the apple usb full size keyboard. The only thing I miss is the pause button. Maybe there is a combo keystroke for it, but I haven't looked into it. Other than that it fells great and since I don't have an apple display, the two USB ports on each side of the keyboard are priceless. Apple full size USB keyboard + bluetooth mighty mouse really makes me feel like I own a Mac pro.

Well, I just burned through my second EP45-DS3R. Both times, it happened when I plugged in a firewire cable. Anyone else have better luck with FW?

FWIW, my case is a brand new Antec Solo, Q6600 Quad Intel, GeForce9800GT... OS X install is Kalyway 10.5.2. Only BIOS changes were the two SATA channel changes commonly recommended. Once the boards had burned out, they would just blink briefly when powered on with any periphery connected via the old style power connectors. When I unplug those, the board will power on fully but it immediately starts smoking near the 1394 case connector (and, of course, I would immediately cut the power).

Any pointers much appreciated!!

Well, I just burned through my second EP45-DS3R. Both times, it happened when I plugged in a firewire cable. Anyone else have better luck with FW?

FWIW, my case is a brand new Antec Solo, Q6600 Quad Intel, GeForce9800GT... OS X install is Kalyway 10.5.2. Only BIOS changes were the two SATA channel changes commonly recommended. Once the boards had burned out, they would just blink briefly when powered on with any periphery connected via the old style power connectors. When I unplug those, the board will power on fully but it immediately starts smoking near the 1394 case connector (and, of course, I would immediately cut the power).

Any pointers much appreciated!!

I use my firewire every day for my audio and have 6 120mm fans connected to the molex connectors on my power supply the board works great with this setup. I think you have some kind of short happening when you install the board as it is pretty unusual to have two boards die like that. What I would do when you get your next board is test it running outside the case first plugging in everything that will be used with it in the case you will put it into. If this works then you put it in the case and it fries again then it is definitely a short in the case somewhere. BTW just what are you connecting to the FW cable and what size/make of power supply is in the case?

that´s a real good suggestion..............fry your third board by testing the firewire again :(

seriously ......macuser is absolutely right except the last proposal. I would check the firewire connection with a (multi) voltmeter. that´s a kind of cheaper :D

that´s a real good suggestion..............fry your third board by testing the firewire again :)

seriously ......macuser is absolutely right except the last proposal. I would check the firewire connection with a (multi) voltmeter. that´s a kind of cheaper ;)

yup, I wasn't going to risk the new MoBo Frys had kindly given me this morning. Not even with the new case they gave me as a replacement. So I installed everything, booted up w/ Ubuntu (more below) and tried first the back FW ports with a FW disk... SUCCESS!!! Then I tried the front port and that worked as well. I am going to leave it at that for now and not try my luck with the network or target disk connections I had tried with the other boards.

Anyway, I did boot up into the 10.5.2 Kalyway install and noticed that the FW disk would not mount. I haven't done anything to this install yet other than what came with it. Graphics beyond a single resolution don't seem to work either and I haven't tested anything else. Should I expect the FW disk mount to NOT work?

Thanks for all your input, guys!

PS: Kudos to Frys for the excellent customer service. I told them exactly what I did, took the case to their technical service dept., they replaced both MoBo and case. Couldn't be happier!

I am going to leave it at that for now and not try my luck with the network or target disk connections I had tried with the other boards.

Is that when it fried??

Anyway, I did boot up into the 10.5.2 Kalyway install and noticed that the FW disk would not mount. I haven't done anything to this install yet other than what came with it. Graphics beyond a single resolution don't seem to work either and I haven't tested anything else. Should I expect the FW disk mount to NOT work?

No it should mount automatically if there is a filesystem on it that OS X can use if not then it should tell you it found new disk do you want to initialize it.

Thanks for all your input, guys!

Your welcome.

Fairly simple ones actually 9x multiplier 350 for the FSB then 2x (2.00B) on the ram divider everything at stock voltages with the C1E and TM2 enabled with the Speedstep disabled and leave Memory Frequency Latch set to Auto or it will screw everything up not letting you over/underclock anything or at least it did here.

Edit: Almost forgot I set the PCI-e to fixed 100 as well.

Trying these settings out, mine crapped out on me after about a month of being perfectly stable.

These seem to work well, however I didnt see an option to disable speedstep in the bios anywhere.