Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3R?

315 posts in this topic

OpenHaltRestart kext doesnt correct my sleep issues, but meh. Not a big deal. My vista install doesnt even sleep correctly lol

The DSDT.aml file that I generated fixed my sleep. Shutown/Restart will still borked, but OpenHaltRestart fixed those too.

Sunkid,

I know Halloween is over, but now you got me spooked. I am planning to use my Hackintosh built for Video Editing and about to connect the FireWire 4p/4p from my motherboard's IE1394 to my Canon XL2. If I don't get an alarm from the good folks on this thread, I will proceed.

Steve

I burnt out two of these motherboards trying to use target disk mode with a G4 tower. FireWire hard drives have not caused me any trouble.

I use my firewire every day for my audio and have 6 120mm fans connected to the molex connectors on my power supply the board works great with this setup. I think you have some kind of short happening when you install the board as it is pretty unusual to have two boards die like that. What I would do when you get your next board is test it running outside the case first plugging in everything that will be used with it in the case you will put it into. If this works then you put it in the case and it fries again then it is definitely a short in the case somewhere. BTW just what are you connecting to the FW cable and what size/make of power supply is in the case?

I had the exact same symptoms. First time I blamed myself. Next time I realized it was the use of target disk mode. Nothing wrong with my rig. I won't connect another computer via firewire that's for sure.

Hello and thanks for all the helpful posts here. I'm extremely happy with this board and just have one little issue to sort out.

Background Info:

GA-EP45-DS3R

3GHz 1333MHz 45nm Core 2 Duo E8400

ASUS EN8600GT Nvidia 512MB DDR2

Two Sticks of Kingston 1GB PC2-8500 CL5 RAM

I put the iDeneb 10.5.5 DVD in, booted, formatted and clicked install. 15 minutes later, perfect working machine (other than audio but I use iMic USB). I couldn't believe it actually worked with so little effort. Installed all my apps and updates and have been using the machine heavily for 2 weeks. Fantastic experience so far.

The only little issue I have is the fact that I didn't purchase enough RAM when I built the machine. I would like to change this and hope you can give me some advice or options regarding 8 or 16 GB RAM.

Will a Hackintosh using the GA-EP45-DS3R support 8 or 16 GB of RAM?

If it does, could you please give me the specs and configuration of the RAM you used?

Now that I know everything works so well, I will probably start over and go with a vanilla install.

Cheers!

If it does, could you please give me the specs and configuration of the RAM you used?

Now that I know everything works so well, I will probably start over and go with a vanilla install.

Cheers!

I have 8gb in mine and if I could find some decently cheap 4gb modules I would be able to tell you if the 16gb will work without problems like the 8gb does, BTW unless you are overclocking your FSB past 400mhz then your pc8500 ram like you have now is not worth it if you pay any premium for them when buying.

Thank you MacUser2525 & peach-os, I was thinking Patriot Viper DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) (4 x 4GB = 16GB) would work, just wanted to see if anyone could confirm 16 gigs and if it made any difference if you used PC2 6400 or PC2 8500. For some reason, people say that a 10.5.5 Hackintosh is not 64 bit and will not recognize 16 gigs. I think I'm looking at about 450 bucks do do this, so I'm a bit scared I'll end up with 2 useless sticks of RAM.

peach-os.... I never would have even attempted a Hackintosh without all your posts. I went with the EP45 because of the tutorials you made, I couldn't get the DS3 in Hong Kong, so I went with the DS3R. Great choice in boards, thanks for puttin up with all the noobs.

Cheers!

Thank you MacUser2525 & peach-os, I was thinking Patriot Viper DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) (4 x 4GB = 16GB) would work, just wanted to see if anyone could confirm 16 gigs and if it made any difference if you used PC2 6400 or PC2 8500. For some reason, people say that a 10.5.5 Hackintosh is not 64 bit and will not recognize 16 gigs. I think I'm looking at about 450 bucks do do this, so I'm a bit scared I'll end up with 2 useless sticks of RAM.

Your welcome. I have been looking at them sticks too I can't see any reason that four of them will not work unless there is some bug in the BIOS preventing 4x4gb working because 4x2gb works like a charm. The only time the higher rated speed for ram makes any sense is when overclocking and getting the FSB above the 400mhz mark that P6400 is rated to run at if you think your not going higher than that it is a waste of money for PC8500.

peach-os.... I never would have even attempted a Hackintosh without all your posts. I went with the EP45 because of the tutorials you made, I couldn't get the DS3 in Hong Kong, so I went with the DS3R. Great choice in boards, thanks for puttin up with all the noobs.

Cheers!

It is a rock solid board I have not really ever had a problem with anything using it, I don't use the built in sound so can't tell you how well that works but all the firewire works out of the box no patching it only really needs the PCIID for the ICH10 added to have it show up correctly labeled it works fine even when displayed as Unknown.

Hello and thanks for all the helpful posts here. I'm extremely happy with this board and just have one little issue to sort out.

Background Info:

GA-EP45-DS3R

3GHz 1333MHz 45nm Core 2 Duo E8400

ASUS EN8600GT Nvidia 512MB DDR2

Two Sticks of Kingston 1GB PC2-8500 CL5 RAM

I put the iDeneb 10.5.5 DVD in, booted, formatted and clicked install. 15 minutes later, perfect working machine (other than audio but I use iMic USB). I couldn't believe it actually worked with so little effort. Installed all my apps and updates and have been using the machine heavily for 2 weeks. Fantastic experience so far.

The only little issue I have is the fact that I didn't purchase enough RAM when I built the machine. I would like to change this and hope you can give me some advice or options regarding 8 or 16 GB RAM.

Cheers!

What options did you use to install? I'm having no end of trouble with this board. I haven't got one successful install with kalyway, ideneb and the retail. I thought this was supposed to be easy.

Specs are

DS3R, E6600, 4GB RAM, 9800GTX + tried 6600GT

What options did you use with ideneb?

What options did you use to install? I'm having no end of trouble with this board. I haven't got one successful install with kalyway, ideneb and the retail. I thought this was supposed to be easy.

Specs are

DS3R, E6600, 4GB RAM, 9800GTX + tried 6600GT

What options did you use with ideneb?

Are you using a PATA DVD drive? Or HDD? If you are, get rid of it & use SATA. PATA will cause you nothing but pain. The JMicron kext is finicky - for instance, you'll get kernel panics w/ more than 3GB of RAM. Etc.

Are you using a PATA DVD drive? Or HDD? If you are, get rid of it & use SATA. PATA will cause you nothing but pain. The JMicron kext is finicky - for instance, you'll get kernel panics w/ more than 3GB of RAM. Etc.

I am indeed using a PATA DVD drive. Will report back with an SATA one ;)

Thanks.

Yes, No.

Does it matter?

Yes, enabling AHCI mode seems to be critical for getting anywhere. IIRC, there are AHCI drivers in OSX, but not for the PATA stuff (or something along those lines).

But it isn't necessarily going to be trivial getting this MB to work IME. I had a great deal of trouble getting mine to work, despite a pretty standard set of hardware and never got the vanilla install to work. So as they say "Your Millage May Vary".

hey guys I have the GA-EP45C-UD3R from newegg, and the reason i got it is because it is exactly like this card (same ver of hardware) but it will allow me to upgrade to ddr3 in the future (up to 8 gbs) the only problem i have is that the lan (Realtek 8111C) driver doesnt work, I got sound working with the patches provided on the first pages, but im not sure if: i should leave no lan driver seleected at instalation or what? i am using ideneb 5.4 and 5.5 thanks for any help. and please forgive my english.

hey guys I have the GA-EP45C-UD3R from newegg, and the reason i got it is because it is exactly like this card (same ver of hardware) but it will allow me to upgrade to ddr3 in the future (up to 8 gbs) the only problem i have is that the lan (Realtek 8111C) driver doesnt work, I got sound working with the patches provided on the first pages, but im not sure if: i should leave no lan driver seleected at instalation or what? i am using ideneb 5.4 and 5.5 thanks for any help. and please forgive my english.

it is spread so many times in this board that this mainboards work best with retail installs. on and on I can read about non working systems with patched versions. are you guys all lazy?

I´ve installed meanwhile on several boards based on the 45 chip using the 8111C - I never had any problems using retail.except sound everything working always ootb.

it is spread so many times in this board that this mainboards work best with retail installs. on and on I can read about non working systems with patched versions. are you guys all lazy?

I´ve installed meanwhile on several boards based on the 45 chip using the 8111C - I never had any problems using retail.except sound everything working always ootb.

yea well thanks for the info, and the thing is I just got this mobo, I used (notate the words used to) have a different board that required me to have a patched version and that is what I am using, since it is so spread over the board can you tell me the way to do it with a retail version (good thing that since I posted this I made sure that I got a copy of a retail disk) so yes for give me for being lazy and for not having the knowledge like other people from this board.

oh oh and one more thing, imagine how it must feel when you have a problem, you post it online, wake up happy because you got an answer to your question and it turns out to be someone telling something completely different to the solution you are looking for. Also going through the post there is a lot of info on sound but not on LAN and so that’s why I was asking. Thanks.

yea well thanks for the info, and the thing is I just got this mobo, I used (notate the words used to) have a different board that required me to have a patched version and that is what I am using, since it is so spread over the board can you tell me the way to do it with a retail version (good thing that since I posted this I made sure that I got a copy of a retail disk) so yes for give me for being lazy and for not having the knowledge like other people from this board.

oh oh and one more thing, imagine how it must feel when you have a problem, you post it online, wake up happy because you got an answer to your question and it turns out to be someone telling something completely different to the solution you are looking for. Also going through the post there is a lot of info on sound but not on LAN and so that’s why I was asking. Thanks.

that´s because usually no one has problems with lan on that board ;)

read karaakeha´s guide here http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=76404

imho that´s the best guide and should also work for your board

My experience with the GA-EP45-UD3R:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=141769

Hopefully that helps!

I used the guide found here: http://forums.anandtech.com/messageview.as...p;enterthread=y

So far I am up and running using the optical out for sound patched via 889a.zip, however I wouldn't call my install stable. Crossover/WINE doesn't behave itself, Handbrake is a roll of the dice, haven't tried to use Fusion but I assume it will be equally limited in function. Sleep,shutdown,restart,time machine, yadda yadda, all works fine. All in all very stable until you try and flex its muscles, thats when panics occur. Anyway its a very well done guide and my first go at it was a quick and dog easy install. I have high hopes that santa drops an E-FIX in my stocking, if so I will be sure and post how it works on this board.

10.5.5 updated from apple 10.5.5 combo update

GA-EP45-DS3R w/Q9450 (BIOS 10)

8GB OCZ DDR2 800

2X500GB SATA in Raid0

1X74GB SATA OSX Volume

1X150GB SATA Time Machine Volume

2XPATA DVD-RW

I used the guide found here: http://forums.anandtech.com/messageview.as...p;enterthread=y

So far I am up and running using the optical out for sound patched via 889a.zip, however I wouldn't call my install stable. Crossover/WINE doesn't behave itself, Handbrake is a roll of the dice, haven't tried to use Fusion but I assume it will be equally limited in function. Sleep,shutdown,restart,time machine, yadda yadda, all works fine. All in all very stable until you try and flex its muscles, thats when panics occur. Anyway its a very well done guide and my first go at it was a quick and dog easy install. I have high hopes that santa drops an E-FIX in my stocking, if so I will be sure and post how it works on this board.

10.5.5 updated from apple 10.5.5 combo update

GA-EP45-DS3R w/Q9450 (BIOS 10)

8GB OCZ DDR2 800

2X500GB SATA in Raid0

1X74GB SATA OSX Volume

1X150GB SATA Time Machine Volume

2XPATA DVD-RW

You're using the JMicron kext for the PATA. I would hazard a bet that changing to SATA DVD-RW (they're what, $25 @ Newegg?) would fix many if not all of your issues.

You're using the JMicron kext for the PATA. I would hazard a bet that changing to SATA DVD-RW (they're what, $25 @ Newegg?) would fix many if not all of your issues.

I agree with you 100%. My wife wanted a $30.00 or less gift idea for my little ones to get me for Xmas and I put a SATA DVD-R on there, so unfortunately I don't have it yet. I dove into OSx86 about two months ago and just switched to this board from an NForce 780i that I threw my hands up on. When I get home tonight I am going to kill the IDE controller in the BIOS and try and convert some AVIs with handbrake. I will shoot back a reply with the results. Don't know why I didn't think to do that until now...