Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3R?

315 posts in this topic

What Boot 132 ISO are people with this board using? Or are you making an entirely custom one? If some one has a good solid working one do they care to share it with the forums?

Yeh, I'd be into that aswell because I will be installing on this board next week and want to ge the 132 + retail route.

Sounds like this is a great board once you get AppleHDA patched. 6 working SATA (AHCI/native) ports, working and bootable IDE, quad-core, Firewire . . . awesome. I read above that 4x2GB memory runs stable, too, right? Anyway, I have a key question:

Has anyone been able to run two graphics cards in the two PCIe x16 (x8 really) slots? That would make this a killer.

What Boot 132 ISO are people with this board using? Or are you making an entirely custom one? If some one has a good solid working one do they care to share it with the forums?

I just used the basic DFE boot 132 with retail 10.5.4 DVD. I took out NVKush because I wanted to use EFI for my 9800 GTX, which kinda blow donkey balls in mac.

And yes, 8GB RAM runs great. I have 4x2gb corsair dominators and it screams. I just wish I could overclock my CPU without the mobo freaking out on me.

Go Devils.

EDIT: Here is a link to the EASIEST BOOT 132 guide. I just followed these instructions and got it right the first time.

http://menoob.com/2008/09/04/hackintosh-in...il-dvd-on-a-pc/

Sounds like this is a great board once you get AppleHDA patched. 6 working SATA (AHCI/native) ports, working and bootable IDE, quad-core, Firewire . . . awesome. I read above that 4x2GB memory runs stable, too, right? Anyway, I have a key question:

Has anyone been able to run two graphics cards in the two PCIe x16 (x8 really) slots? That would make this a killer.

Question: Could I install another graphics card that is different from my original. For example: I have a 9800 GTX, could I toss in a 8800GT? If so, I would definatly try for two graphics cards.

I just wish I could overclock my CPU without the mobo freaking out on me.

Tell me about it I managed to get mine working off the start at my normal overclock but once I rebooted a few days later it did the double start thing it does when the over clock is not right and has not taken any other settings that will allow it to over/under, for that matter, clock. I was thinking my chip was going but it still will work flat out for hours at a time no errors at all so now I'm thinking these boards are useless for overclocking on and don't get me started on that ram divider/multiplier settings mess they have in the BIOS...

Question: Could I install another graphics card that is different from my original. For example: I have a 9800 GTX, could I toss in a 8800GT? If so, I would definatly try for two graphics cards.

Don't see why not try by putting in the other card by itself in the second slot getting your string for it then taking the two plain texts of the strings to combine together as you would if you were putting say the sound or network card together with it then convert back to EFI string so you would have two graphics devices in there when its used.

I've had limited success with this board.

I've been able to install leo4all v2 on this and have everything working (nvidia 8600 gt 512 card), but with v3 video doesn't work. iAtkos, Kalyway and iDeneb all ended in the same result. I would have updated leo4allv2 but after updating to 10.5.3 I wasn't able to mount network drives. So, after some time on irc, I decided to do a retail install.

The install goes fine with the boot-132 method, its after I install chameleon things get hairy. First thing I need to do is remove appleintelcpupowermanagement.kext and extensions.mkext do to package 0 error. Doing that results in a hang on either ntpdate or setcryptokey.

Has anyone had any luck with this method, where am I going wrong? What kexts are needed for this to work out right?

I decided to do a retail install. Has anyone had any luck with this method, where am I going wrong? What kexts are needed for this to work out right?

These below plus dsmos.kext you should be able to find them on the fourm or searching on the file name in Google, if you cannot find them then I will send them to you.

macuser2525s-mac-pro:~ MacUser2525$ ll /Volumes/video/Retail_Install_Folder/Software/Patches/Used_Retail/
  -rw-r--r--  1 MacUser2525  staff	 7656 Sep 11 19:18 AHCIFixICH10.zip
  -rw-r--r--@ 1 MacUser2525  staff   248499 Jul 10 15:33 AppleACPIPlatform.kext.zip
  -rw-r--r--@ 1 MacUser2525  staff   143306 Jul  3 01:20 AppleSMBIOSEFI_28.zip
  -rw-r--r--  1 MacUser2525  staff  2097152 Sep 16 20:51 Chameleon-1.0.11-installer.dmg
  -rwxr-xr-x  1 MacUser2525  staff   271720 Nov  5  2007 IONetworkingFamily
  -rw-r--r--@ 1 MacUser2525  staff   577000 Jul  7 17:51 kext_for_JMicron_ATA.zip

First, thanks for all the others that posted in the forums with solutions.

I purchased this motherboard on hopes of making a hackintosh since I liked my new iMac 2.8 so much.

I used the 10.5.2 kaly disc, no updates, no special mods as of yet.

Hardware:

mb: GA-EP45-DS3R V2

BOIS: F10

HDD: 250gb SATA (oob)

Optical: LG some cheap model drive SATA (oob, burn not tested)

CPU: Quad 2.4ghz Intel. (oob)

Video: ATI HD3870 512mb (oob)

All the USB, Firewire, LAN, and SATA ports work (oob).

Audio had to be patched and the only way it worked for me was to do the HDA ktext, reboot, then install the two modified 889 ktext (posted on this topic) then reboot.

NOTE: LAN ports do not show as connected in the system prefs. Not sure why but everything still works.

Thanks all, it was a fun build.... now.... what can I do?

great Motherboard!

I've just installed in in a triple boot Vista-xp on hd1 and OSx in hd2. Everything works perfectly except Audio.

I've installed Iatkos V4i and then added only the NVinstaller v.52.pkg . This enabeld my 8600GT perfectly.

I've tried all the kexts and several methods, but with the latest (HDAEnabler.kext found here ) I have been finally able to see something on the system profiler's Audio tab.

it shows me :

Intel High Definition Audio:

Device ID: 0x1458A102

Audio ID: 12

Available Devices:

(nothing then)

and there's no device avaiable also in system preferences/sound.

Any idea on how could I solve this problem?

Thanks a lot:

i have this board with a Q6600 - 4 gb ram - 2x500 Gb SATA drives in AHCPI - xfx 8600GT 1 GB ram.

I had the exact same symptoms when I used HDAEnabler and AppleHDA kexts in the Extra folders of either Boot-132 or Chameleon with the Boot-132 boot loader. I fixed the problem by placing both of these in the actual /System/Library/Extensions folder. I believe there is some other kext dependency and boot-132 is confused when resolving dependencies between folders.

Good luck,

JimJ

Odd issue that I can't seem to resolve.

I installed 10.5.2 and I had working sound, video, and network.

I then fresh installed 10.5.4 iDeneb and I can't get the sound to work even using the same ktext's I used with 10.5.2 and the lan has stopped working. Also my hard drive is now showing up as a removable device. I have not changed the bios settings. I tried a repair of the permissions, rebooting, rebooting -f, flushing cash but I can't get it to show as an internal drive.

I am currently trying a re-install with iDeneb installing the 889 audio driver and the 8111 network drivers as well as the he3870 driver. So we will see.

GA-EP45-DS3R, 2gb ram, 250gb sata, dvd sata, hd3870 512, BOIS F10.

I am using a 10.5.0 Retail Family Pack disk. I bought it when Leopard first came out. At first I could not get my install going, then I upgraded the BIOS to F10. Every thing in the install process went smoothly. I am having difficulty after my install.

I can install chameleon and boot 132. I can run system updater. However, I cannot reboot, so when I do system updates well 10.5.5 combo seems to fail. I have only used the apple system updater. Should I download it from apple? Should I download each individual update?

Any advice would be great.

Also I have the modded Kext files for AHCI but they are saved as kext.dir files. Do I have to do anything special to them or just remove the .dir?

These below plus dsmos.kext you should be able to find them on the fourm or searching on the file name in Google, if you cannot find them then I will send them to you.

macuser2525s-mac-pro:~ MacUser2525$ ll /Volumes/video/Retail_Install_Folder/Software/Patches/Used_Retail/
  -rw-r--r--@ 1 MacUser2525  staff   248499 Jul 10 15:33 AppleACPIPlatform.kext.zip
  -rw-r--r--  1 MacUser2525  staff  2097152 Sep 16 20:51 Chameleon-1.0.11-installer.dmg

Thanks!

Just purchased this board and an 8800GTX. I'd like to go quad core with the processor so i'm gonna wait before i install. Just to confirm is AHCI sata a must for this to work with boot-132 or can i set it to install and then switch it back after i install. I just dont wanna have to "flip-a-switch" just to boot into windows you know. Otherwise great thread. I'm feeling great about my purchase.

Did you create a custom boot disk or add these files later? And to my understanding you guys are all using the Generic.iso correct?

Just purchased this board and an 8800GTX. I'd like to go quad core with the processor so i'm gonna wait before i install. Just to confirm is AHCI sata a must for this to work with boot-132 or can i set it to install and then switch it back after i install. I just dont wanna have to "flip-a-switch" just to boot into windows you know. Otherwise great thread. I'm feeling great about my purchase.

You can always install a 64bit windows with the AHCI drivers enabled otherwise if you go 32bit install you need to change the settings around in the BIOS for the HPET from 64 to 32 bit every time anyways.

Did you create a custom boot disk or add these files later? And to my understanding you guys are all using the Generic.iso correct?

Never did either I just took my old board out and put this one in once I confirmed it would work booting from my external testing drive with a clone of my install. Those were the only files need plus the dsmos.kext of course and my string for the 8800gt I have in the com.apple.Boot.plist file. These were changed during my original install months ago using a Kalyway install to open the retail disk I bought to install onto second hard drive this was before the boot132 method was developed.

I can install chameleon and boot 132. I can run system updater. However, I cannot reboot, so when I do system updates well 10.5.5 combo seems to fail. I have only used the apple system updater. Should I download it from apple? Should I download each individual update?

Any advice would be great.

The updates should install if you make sure that the IntelCPUManagement is deleted as soon as it appears on the system because it seems like you doing this inside a running install open a Terminal and follow the instruction in this thread for deleting it.

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=87078

Also I have the modded Kext files for AHCI but they are saved as kext.dir files. Do I have to do anything special to them or just remove the .dir?

You go down into the directory structure that is in them this shows you where the single file that is in each of them has to be copied too (replacing existing one) in the corresponding .kext in the /System/Library/Extensions directory so once you have deleted the caches and repaired permissions when you reboot using the -f flag at the boot loader you can get to by using the F8 key while booting. When the forced reloading/caching of all the .kext on the system is done you boot to the desktop where your changes will be seen and the proper name will be displayed for the chipset.

I am still having several install issues. I am unable to install 10.5.5. Even when I delete IntelCPUPowerManagment. I can use the 10.5.4 combo update, but I cannot upgrade past 10.5.4. Also I cannot restart or shut down, is this a BIOS setting issue?

Hmm. It may be. I had no problems upgrading from 10.5.4 retail boot 132 to 10.5.5. The only problem i have now is that if I don't boot using -f I get a kernal panic.

Try loading fail safe settings in the BIOS and turning on AHCI.

I have AHCI turned on as it is, I am running 10.5.4 and it is kinda bugging me knowing that I have one machine running 10.5.5 no hassle and this one is not. AHCI drivers work well, however, audio is still not working right.

Many of my boots hang at the "Verifying DMI pool data screen".

My DDR2 1066 shows as DDR2 800. Then again on my P5K-VM it shows as 667.

I am going to try some 10.5.5 stuff today, as well as audio stuff. Will post my results, but I would love to figure out this DMI pool hang up. I am running BIOS F10.

Update:

10.5.5 Successful!!!! I installed it through the Terminal

cd /Volumes/<volume name>
./usr/sbin/installer -pkg /Volumes/Mac\ OS\ X\ 10.5.5\ Update/MacOSXUpd10.5.5.pkg -target ./

I then booted with -x -v -f

it reboots, and then I booted with the same set, -x -v -f

Repaired disk permissions and rebooted everything seems to almost be good.

New Issues:

Sound drivers gone (HDA was not working and I had no audio device in system profiler, but I had sound and volume control)

Other thoughts:

Is anyone who is running EFI-X having audio issues? Does HDA work?

I can get the apple white screen to come up with the pin wheel of death, but there is a "X" that comes up after a few minutes of the pin wheel spinning. MY DVD drive doesn't spin during these times. What am I doing wrong?

I've tried a few different ISO images on this board. But I have yet to see someone post a completed ISO image with everything in it ready to work.

I have:

E8500

Gigabyte EP45-DS3R

SATA Harddrives with linux installed on it

SATA DVD-ROM drive

EVGA 8800 GT Akombo Edition

Vizio 26" 1920x1200 Monitor

I have the 5 user Leopard DVD I got last year to use with my macs.

Thanks!

the EP35-DS4.iso image works. So does grub-dfe. I disassembled the EP35-DS4 image mkext that is in the iso. However, the IHC10R AHCI drives need to be patched each time they are updated. I cannot get them to work once they have been patched with out re-patching them.

Also I think they have to be set up as an mkext to work well too.

At the moment I am running the EP35-DS4 ISO in chameleon, with the AHCI fix installed in the extensions folder, as well as the audio drives. It works 100% except system profiler does not recognize the audio device.