Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3R?

315 posts in this topic

I am using Taruga's AppleHDA.kext with my GA-EP43-DS3, it's ALC888, same symptom here, I assume it's common problem with ALC series audio chips.

Reply from ccg:

First, unless the ALC889 .kext file contains the proper PCI ID for the Intel ICH10 chip, audio won't work. The ALCinject .kext has to be modified as well. Only HDAEnabler.kext does not.

Second, it appears that there are two different AppleHDA.kext files. One of them causes the audio problems and the other one doesn't. The file that I uploaded containing the ICH10 fix doesn't, at least on the three systems Ihave it on.

MacGenius (ccg)

Can anyone using this board with a Q6600 confirm that they are getting all 4 cores with no problems?

I'm thinking of getting this board to replace a Foxconn G965 one that refuses to boot except with CPUS=1 (I managed to get it to boot once with all 4 cores, after a bios update, but can't now).

Andrew

Works great with mine so far ran mprime to load all four cores at a 100% for an hour just to confirm my overclock with this chip was still good on the new board. Its only been up for about 6 hours so far but yesterday when testing with a dual core ran it for pretty much the whole day without problems.

Reply from ccg:

Second, it appears that there are two different AppleHDA.kext files. One of them causes the audio problems and the other one doesn't. The file that I uploaded containing the ICH10 fix doesn't, at least on the three systems Ihave it on.

MacGenius (ccg)

Worked fine here when I tried it yesterday as well...

For anyone who wants the controller to show up as the ICH10-R AHCI instead of unknown in the System Profiler can use the attached AHCI fix that I found elsewhere but modified for the ICH10R AHCI PC ID, you need to delete the system caches and extensions.mkext after coping the two files to their proper places then boot with -f to force the reload/caching of the .kext directory then it shows up.

AHCIFixICH10.zip

Can anyone using this board with a Q6600 confirm that they are getting all 4 cores with no problems?

I'm thinking of getting this board to replace a Foxconn G965 one that refuses to boot except with CPUS=1 (I managed to get it to boot once with all 4 cores, after a bios update, but can't now).

Andrew

So the board arrived today (rapid service from newegg as usual). Got myself a better case and PSU while I was at it. Plugged it all together, POSTed first time, set BIOS settings (ACHI mode, Native SATA mode, USB keyboard support, Hard Disk boot order and some others). OS X booted first time with all 4 cores.

Only problems were disks recognized as external and no sound. All fixed with the two patches in this thread. For the record, remember to set the permissions of the kexts properly (chown -R root.wheel ALCInject.kext, for example) and boot with -f.

This is a really nice motherboard. Right, lets see if I can get 3Ghz on this puppy.

Andrew

GA-EP45-DS3L with a Q6600 here.

I got it to install just fine using leo4all and have the kalyway 10.5.3 + apple 10.5.4 upgrades.

Everything works except sound. I tried the modded 889a.kext in this thread but my audio device still does not show up. I installed using kexthelper, fixed permissions, deleted the caches, and booted with -f.

bought the ga-ep45-ds3r last night and put my new comp together. Installed it with xp home and everything looked good. Installed the mobo drivers, rebooted, everything fine.

Then I updated the bios (F7) with the @bios app to F9. Now I'm getting reboot loop after the initial screen pops up. Tried getting into the bios or ANYTHING but my keyboard stopped repsonding.

Running e8500, 2x2gb ddr2 1066 patriot, and a geforce 8800gt.

I had read on another board that there were major problems with the @bios software. Any thoughts?

hello

I have a EP45-DS3R

try 3 day audio success install in my Computer

Very happy

Cpu q6600

M/b EP45-DS3R

Ram 2G

VGA 8500GT

DVD plextor 16x (ide)

HDD 160 x2 run raid 0 (windows)

500g x1

200g xp data

200g xp data

100g mac k10.5.2

now 100% run

anyone know how acciate the supported ram is on the gigabyte website? I've read that my problemsay stem from faulty ram so Im looking into other ram. But, I've also read of people having problems with Vorsair on the ep45-ds3r board.

Any recommendations? I'd like 2x2.

I have no problems with BIOS F7, 4gig ram. AHCI enabled to support SATA drives. Jmicron is for the IDE drives.

Jmicron controller crash with IDE harddrive, if editing Photos taken more then 3 gigs of ram. No problem with IDE DVD writer. I replaced the IDE HD with with SATA drives, no more crash after that.

I read from here that if I use 2gigs of ram, IDE hd is ok, but I need my ram for editing photos.

I am having massive problems with this board. Installed 10.5.2 Kalyway last night, combo updated to 10.5.3, apple updated to 10.5.4, followed Aqua Mac's instructions on getting the EVGA 9800 GTX working but couldnt for the life of me figure out how to fix the audio and the hard drives. I have rolled through this thread about 100 times, tried the associated kext's, but no audio. Also, the hard drives come up as externals, any idea on that one? Beisdes this, it is a good board. It did not register my CPU clock speed correctly, but I was able to change the clockspeed to 9X in the BIO which came up correctly.

Should I go with a DFE retail install?

Specs:

CPU: E8500 (Intel Core2Dup 3.17, only registared as 2.67)

MOBO: GA EP45-DS3R

GFX: EVGA 9800 GTX

SATA DVD (some generic brand, works great)

WD SATA 300GB HD.

4GB Cosair RAM (2x2) 800

I followed the BIOS settings that were linked to this page, but no luck.

Any help would be appreciated.

I have rolled through this thread about 100 times, tried the associated kext's, but no audio.

Any help would be appreciated.

The posted kexts are not full, but partials. If you just drag and drop then the old kext will be overwritten without most of the contents (thanks for that design Apple).

For each, work your way through the downloaded kext folders and find the actual files - some .plist files. (I'm not on my hack at the moment, and can't remember the exact details)

Make backup copies of your kexts for safe keeping - duplicate and rename in finder is fine.

Look at the contents of the original kexts and replace the relevant files with the ones in the downloads.

Make sure permissions are correct - repair permissions is overkill, I just used the terminal and did 'chown -R root.wheel ALCInject.kext' for example.

Clear the caches and reboot with -f to get the new goodies. You can try a 'kext unload ALCInject; kextload ALCInject' from the command line to check that it will load before reboot. I didn't dare unload and load the AHCI on the fly :)

HTH

couldnt for the life of me figure out how to fix the audio and the hard drives. I have rolled through this thread about 100 times, tried the associated kext's, but no audio. Also, the hard drives come up as externals, any idea on that one? Beisdes this, it is a good board.

The AHCI fix I posted will make them appear as internal another poster has already given the audio instructions.

It did not register my CPU clock speed correctly, but I was able to change the clockspeed to 9X in the BIO which came up correctly.

Same here now the board does not seems to want to over/under clock my processor anymore no matter what settings I use that BIOS is junk IMHO seems stable enough though I can encode video for hours at a time no problems.

I followed the BIOS settings that were linked to this page, but no luck.

Not surprised there.

I have the same board, audio is ok with the kext link in this post, just install it, audio came up, don't even need to reboot.

I had no problem with CPU speed , it booted up stock at 9x 2.4g correctly.

Overclocking is ok to 3.15g stable, need to increase voltage by .15 volt more from stock, backed down to .1 volt more instead to get stable at 3g, happy with that.

I am happy with this board, 24 hours burn in CPU test all 4 cores at 100%, 63C maximum. I have a bigger cpu cooler then stock.

i get random freezes and kernel panics every now and then. it seems if i leave plex open and not playing a video file the box will die (no output on monitor, network dies, etc.) and i'll get some random kernel panics (please reboot your computer, grey screen) every now and then

going to try it with 2gb of ram for now and see how it goes

I wanted to thank everyone for their help over the past week. I have my system up and running. I must have partitioned my drive 5 times and installed every time until I got it right. So many restarts too.... As such, if anyone is reading this post and needs help with their machine, PM me and ill share me experiences. Dont be shy.

My rig:

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 3.16ghz (both cores work)

GPU: EVGA 9800 GTX (working using Aqua Mac efi strings! QE/CI works!!!!)

MOBO GA EP-45DS3r (of course)

Restart, shutdown, time machine, sound (only stero out of line output jack) all work.

Wireless : Linksys N USB with RA drivers and some changes to the plist

4GB ram.

SATA Samsung DVD

500 PSU+Antec Sonita III case

Boot 132 using retail 10.5.4 disc (this was a {censored}, PM me if you need help), upadte through software update to 10.5.5.

Boots without CD, fast as hell, not quiet thoough... I have all my fans running crazy fast cause the 9800 GTX has a fan problem in Mac OSX.

If someone was able to get all the sound outputs work, please let me know!!!

Thanks,

J