Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3R?

315 posts in this topic

Evening all,

Havent tackled 10.5.5 update tonight. Did want to get this screen up though. Of note, this screen shot is currently of my system with headphones (green line out) plugged in. Also, note there are 2 audio devices. My theory is that the first one is the Front Panel header though I haven't tested that theory.

S_L

post-99721-1223617099_thumb.png

I've got everything working great now! I am quite happy.

EP45-DS3R w/ Q6600, 8800GT, 4GB of ram, SATA HDD.

I also have Vista 32 installed on a separate SATA HDD.

I did combo update to 10.5.4 and installed the necessary kexts. I then did an auto-update to 10.5.5. No problems, but drives appeared as external again and audio wasn't working. I re-installed the proper kexts and I'm good to go!

A few questions if anyone can help: I can only seem to boot with -f....not a big deal but it makes me think something is wrong. If i don't i get the apple with the circle crossed out.

And this last question is only somewhat related...i have a couple of IDE HDD i'm trying to access but can't. I can't get vista to recognize them. Bios recognizes them. They are NTFS. Not entirely OSx86 related but I was hoping someone might have an answer since we all have this motherboard.

Also, I'm trying to use EasyBCD so that its easier for my wife to log on, but I can't seem to assign a drive letter to my Mac HDD in vista, so I can't seem to get EasyBCD to make my mac HDD an option for booting.

Oh ya, I had to use grub ISO to do my boot 132 process. generic ISO did not work.

Cheers!

I just noticed that I can't eject CDs, and sometimes it detects one one there's not a CD in there. I have to reboot in order to get a CD in or out.

people talk about this JMicron kext, but is that mainly for IDE devices? My DVD reader is SATA

The only thing the Jmicron chipset controls on this board is the IDE connector on others the purple SATA ports are using it as well, for your problem here I don't have a clue never seen that happen before.

to people who have this mobo and are running XP or VISTA and Leopard, what method you recommend on a fresh system? Install Vista then boot132 Leopard?

The system I have coming is EP45DS3R / Q6600 / 500GB SATA / SATA DVD DRIVE / 4GB PC2-8000 GSKILL / 8800GS and I'd like to be ready when it gets here.

thanks

I've been able to get everything working but Firewire. I am at BIOS version F10 (originally at F7) and with both versions if I enable Firewire support in the BIOS I will get a random crash curtain 'o death at seemingly random points in the boot sequence. Rarely, it will actually boot and I will be able to see the Firewire support in System Profiler.

Is anyone else seeing this issue?

I've been able to get everything working but Firewire. I am at BIOS version F10 (originally at F7) and with both versions if I enable Firewire support in the BIOS I will get a random crash curtain 'o death at seemingly random points in the boot sequence. Rarely, it will actually boot and I will be able to see the Firewire support in System Profiler.

Is anyone else seeing this issue?

what version did you use? did a retail install and never had any problems

hey does anyone get the occasional "You MUST restart your computer" on this motherboard?

I get it randomly and occasionally, not enough to stop me from using OS X, but just enough that it can get annoying.

is this what they call a kernal panic?

Thanks.

Ronny.

I have the GA-EP45-DS3R (rev. 1.0) from Gigabyte as well I followed the bios directions posted

Bios settings for GA-EP45-DS3R Rev. 1.0 Firmware F8

--Standard CMOS Features--

Drive A - [none]

Floppy 3 Mode Support - [Disabled]

Halt On - [All , But Keyboard]

--Advanced BIOS Features--

First Boot Device - [Your dvd drive] (preferrably?)

Second Boot Device - [Hard Disk]

THird Boot Device - [] (personal choice)

Password Check - [setup] (personal choice, I have no password)

HDD S.M.A.R.T. Capability - [ENABLED]

CPU Multi-Threading - [ENABLED]

Limit CPUID Max. to 3 - [DISABLED]

No-Execute Memory Protect - [ENABLED]

CPU Enhanced Halt (C1E) - [DISABLED]

CPU Thermal Monitor 2(TM2) - [ENABLED] (Set temp in "Pc Health Status-Menu")

CPU EIST Function - [DISABLED]

Virtualization Technology - [ENABLED]

Delay For HDD (secs) - [0]

Full Screen LOGO Show - (whatever you like the best)

Primary Display First - [PCI](PCI Graphics) - [PEG](PCI Express, first slot) - [PEG2](PCI Express, second slot) Most users probably use [PEG].

--Integrated Peripherals--

SATA RAID/ACHI Mode - [ACHI]

SATA Port0-3 Native Mode - [DISABLED]

USB Controller - [ENABLED]

USB 2.0 Controller - [ENABLED]

USB Keyboard Support - [ENABLED]

USB Mouse Support - [ENABLED]

Legacy USB Storage detect - [ENABLED]

Azalia Codec - [Auto]

Onboard H/W 1394 - [ENABLED]

Onboard H/W LAN1 - [ENABLED]

Onboard H/W LAN2 - [ENABLED]

Green LAN - [DISABLED]

Onboard LAN1 BOOT ROM - [DISABLED]

Onboard LAN2 BOOT ROM - [DISABLED]

Onboard IDE Controller - [DISABLED]

Onboard Serial Port 1 - [DISABLED]

Onboard Parallel Port - [DISABLED]

--Power Management Setup--

ACPI Suspend Type - [s3(STR)]

Soft-Off By PWE-BTTN [instant-Off]

PME Event Wake Up - [DISABLED]

Power On by Ring - [DISABLED]

Resume by Alarm - [DISABLED]

HPET Support - [Enabled]

HPET Mode - [64-bit mode]

Power On by Mouse - [DISABLED]

Power On by Keyboard - [DISABLED]

AC BAck Function - [soft-Off]

I'm using Firmware v10.0 I know these were written for v8.0 So i might downgrade soon to attempt that.

I have a Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD6400AAKS 640GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive

i've tried iDeneb v1.3 and iATKOS v4.1, the disk boots up into the installed but the Disk Utility cannot format my drive.

It Errors with "File System formatter failed" I cannot Erase the disk into anything other than Free Space or MS-DOS(FAT).

Everything else gets this error, ever after running a zeroing of the drive.

If i disable ACHI in the bios both discs can format the drive but they only recognize it as a 120GB drive, and the drive

will not boot.

Full Specs are as follows:

Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD6400AAKS 640GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM

OCZ Platinum 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model OCZ2P10664GK - Retail

LITE-ON 20X DVD±R DVD Burner With 12X DVD-RAM Write Black SATA Model LH-20A1S - Retail

GIGABYTE GA-EP45-DS3R LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Kentsfield 2.4GHz LGA 775 Quad-Core Processor Model HH80562PH0568M - OEM

CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX 750W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Power Supply - Retail

EVGA 512-P3-N871-AR GeForce 9800 GTX(G92) 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Retail

Any help would be much appreciated.

I have the GA-EP45-DS3R (rev. 1.0) from Gigabyte as well I followed the bios directions posted

Bios settings for GA-EP45-DS3R Rev. 1.0 Firmware F8

I have a Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD6400AAKS 640GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive

i've tried iDeneb v1.3 and iATKOS v4.1, the disk boots up into the installed but the Disk Utility cannot format my drive.

It Errors with "File System formatter failed" I cannot Erase the disk into anything other than Free Space or MS-DOS(FAT).

Everything else gets this error, ever after running a zeroing of the drive.

Any help would be much appreciated.

I have the same board and system drive the last time I cloned my drive to my external to test the upgrade to 10.5.5 when I tried to copy it back diskutil would not do anything similar to what you are seeing. What I did was boot with Kalyway 10.5.1 which allowed me to copy the install back you may want to try installing with this disk then upgrade, your settings look fine to me.

Edit: If you don't want to install with the Kalyway you can always use this to do your partitioning then install with one of the other disks skipping that step with it.

I have the same board and system drive the last time I cloned my drive to my external to test the upgrade to 10.5.5 when I tried to copy it back diskutil would not do anything similar to what you are seeing. What I did was boot with Kalyway 10.5.1 which allowed me to copy the install back you may want to try installing with this disk then upgrade, your settings look fine to me.

Edit: If you don't want to install with the Kalyway you can always use this to do your partitioning then install with one of the other disks skipping that step with it.

Downloading Kalyway 10.5.2 as we speak (21 minutes remaining) would this work or should i get 10.5.1?

I'm thinking this might be an issue with my motherboard, or perhaps the hard drive

NOTE: Apparently i am using Firmware v9.0, updating to v10 now, will report back

Downloading Kalyway 10.5.2 as we speak would this work or should i get 10.5.1?

I'm thinking this might be an issue with my motherboard, or perhaps the hard drive

Diskutil never gave me any problems with the 10.5.2 never booted this machine with the Kalyway 10.5.2 though 10.5.1 may be best so its your call there. I don't see the combo as a problem my setup works fine with both of them.

MacUser-could you provide me with you overclock settings?

thanks

Fairly simple ones actually 9x multiplier 350 for the FSB then 2x (2.00B) on the ram divider everything at stock voltages with the C1E and TM2 enabled with the Speedstep disabled and leave Memory Frequency Latch set to Auto or it will screw everything up not letting you over/underclock anything or at least it did here.

Edit: Almost forgot I set the PCI-e to fixed 100 as well.

Updated to F10, same issue:

Disk Utility returns

-----------------------------

Partition failed with the error:

File system formatter failed.

Using iDeben v1.3

Kalyway 10.5.2 finished downloading checking md5 and then will be burning and installing.

Kalyway booted with -v no errors shown. Installation launched went to Disk Utility selected Erase on the drive and got the same error as above except with Volume erase failed. When selecting the partition itself i get

Volume Erase Failed

Volume Erase Failed with the error:

The underlying task reported failure on exit.

Not sure what todo next, Vista Ultimate installed without a hitch god save me for forsaking Apple lol. I believe it has to do with AHCI but i'm not sure, and if that's the case i might of just gotten a faulty board.

Downloading Kalyway 10.5.1 now

ISSUE RESOLVED:

Was using MBR instead of GUID or Apple....idiot me...

And...TaDa working at 10.5.5

no issues thus far

is there a difference between GA-EP45-EXTREME (rev. 1.0) and GA-EP45-DS3 (rev. 1.0) apart from the copper heat sink on the extreme edition...???

I considering getting the extreme one if it is the same and going to work like the DS3.

and what is the difference between the DS3 and DS4 models ??

GA-EP45-DS3 (rev. 1.0) certainly looks like the best board for building a hackintosh these days...

I have a MSI 975x everything works like a charm except multiple graphic cards thats why I'm looking for a new board to be able to connect four monitors..

alright.

i got my new computer up and working great after a few tries with leo4all v3.

i xbench tested and got 210 (q6600/ep45 ds3r/ 4gb pc2-800) i'm not sure if thats good or not.

whats the most fool proof way to get vista on an empty partition now that i have everything working in leopard?

edit: how do i get sleep to work?

thanks

Fairly simple ones actually 9x multiplier 350 for the FSB then 2x (2.00B) on the ram divider everything at stock voltages with the C1E and TM2 enabled with the Speedstep disabled and leave Memory Frequency Latch set to Auto or it will screw everything up not letting you over/underclock anything or at least it did here.

Edit: Almost forgot I set the PCI-e to fixed 100 as well.

Thanks, I will try those today.

Alright guys, many thanks to all the efforts poeple in this thread and forum have put into getting this board working. Everything is working perfect on this machine. My logitech bluetooth mouse came in, Samsung 245T display came in, and the Apple keyboard is awesome. My audio does not recognize in the system profiler, but it works 100% so I am going to give up on that. My system profiler still says no display connected, but I have full resolution and everything works.

Only one issue. When I shut the machine down, it does not completely shut down everytime I still have to hold the power button down. I running a hybrid of DFE and the DS4 Boot ISO, and I installed the AppleACPI from this thread, which helps out with other issues.