Why do you not like the Leopard translucent menu bar?

Escape311

19 posts in this topic

I keep seeing the "fix" for the Leopard translucent menu bar and was just wondering why nobody likes their menu bar translucent? I actually think it looks pretty slick. Just curious why everybody wants to "fix" it. Is it really that much more of a resource hog? Or is it just personal preference?

Not trying to start a big debate here but just looking for personal opinions.

The current menu bar in Leopard doesn't bother me at all. Sure, in some of the earlier betas it was ugly; but now it's quite crisp. Also, things like spotlight and such look better when they are all the same style black lines. I'm not entirely fond of the rounded drop-down corners though; they don't look as sharp as the edged ones in Tiger.

The current menu bar in Leopard doesn't bother me at all. Sure, in some of the earlier betas it was ugly; but now it's quite crisp. Also, things like spotlight and such look better when they are all the same style black lines. I'm not entirely fond of the rounded drop-down corners though; they don't look as sharp as the edged ones in Tiger.

Me too, but if I could adjust a little bit the color and translucency. I like transperency and wouln't go back to opaque.

Other one here with the same opinion , thou I liked the rounded edge , I prefered if the menubar had Tiger's rounded corner , don't like the Leopard one ^^

Regards ,

Chaos

I like the new menu bar. I even don't mind the new dock. I suspect all the hysteria is just typical of Apple fans - they don't like change ;)

It's like when the iTunes icon changed from purple to green, there were a huge number of threads on all the Mac forums offering the original icon so people could switch back, then the same again when it changed to blue. If they're going to get in a hissy fit over an icon (I keep typing iCon for some reason...?), if you take away their round corners and do something radical like make the menu bar transparent, they'll probably cry :D

I love the rounded corners. Translucent Menubar is cool too. Stacks are really convenient.

I guess Apple tried to show to Microsoft, transparency doesnot need 60% CPU Usage and 300 MB of RAM to work.

BTW: The thread title needs a change

Yeah I have 2 G5 PowerMacs which one has an FX5200 w/64MB RAM and the other has the ATI 6800 w/128MB. The GeForce Mac doesn't display the translucent menu bar where as the ATI Mac does. I really have noticed no performance hit at all. They both run equally the same. Granted they both have 4GB of RAM which could have something to do with it but I don't think it's a performance thing at all.

I personally like the translucency quite a bit. I think it's a nice change from the old "gray" bar. I also agree I like the fact they got rid of the rounded corners.

As far as the dock goes, I HAD to change that to an all black with blue "LED" indicator style though. The default is just annoyingly unclean in my opinion. It's much easier now to see what programs I actually have running. :D

hate is too strong a word. however, about the 4th time i noticed the default wallpaper star bleeding through

and obscuring a menu word, i decided that when a fix came, i would get rid of the transparency. in case i

used a busy wallpaper in the future, i wouldn't have to worry about it again. i don't want my eyes snagged for

no reason.

cause the new dock and the iTunes 7 icon came up, i'll comment on them briefly as well if you don't mind.

this seems like a loose and friendly thread. :(

i went to the 2d dock. though i really gave the 3d dock some time, cause i thought it was cool, seeing

windows and icons reflected down into it distracted me. the 3d dock was so busy my eyes were getting

snagged.

i don't use iTunes 7, i use iTunes 6.05. 7 removed the contextual Burn/Browse/Visualizer Control button

at the top, and the Visualizer and Equalizer buttons on the bottom. now you have to navigate through a

menu or right click on a playlist to burn. removing the visibility and one click access to those functions was

so incredibly senseless, i upgraded to 6. :) if i want Coverflow access to my albums, i still have the standalone

app.

pardon my digressions.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm not wild about the translucent menubar. It's sort of growing on me or maybe I just don't notice it so much. I do miss the rounded corners. Every Mac OS going way back has had them. So it was sort of a trade mark of a Mac. I'm wondering if the users who like the change are Windows users just moving to Mac ?

I have nothing really new to add to the above comments. The reason I dislike the translucent menu is that it's the only part of the screen that is visible all of the time and thus does not profit, in my view, from translucency. Why apple didn't include an options panel for this is beyond me.

Other than that I really love Leopard with all it's new toys!