9800 GTX working in OSX86

aqua-mac

522 posts in this topic

WOW - Thanks a lot for that hint!

And you'r shure that there will be no probs in Windows?

Maybe i'll chose another card - bacause i think another 9800 won't work because of my powersupplie.

I don't need so much Game-Power in OS-X but i need a working Quartz and Open GL.

Do you have a tip for a good card? ATI / Nvidia?

Only Power via PCI-E - and compatible to be used parallel to the GX2 ...

Possible?

• 2 weeks later...

hi aqua-mac!

i got a zotac geforce 9800 gtx amp! edition and i followed your instructions on my kalyway 10.5.2 to get it working.

looks like this right now:

NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GTX DDL:

Chipsatz-Modell: NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GTX DDL

Typ: Monitor

Bus: PCIe

PCIe-Lane-Breite: x16

VRAM (gesamt): 512 MB

Hersteller: NVIDIA (0x10de)

Geräte-ID: 0x0612

Versions-ID: 0x00a2

ROM-Version: 0x00981

Monitore:

P24W-3:

Auflösung: 1920 x 1200 @ 60 Hz

Farbtiefe: 32-Bit Farbe

Core Image: Software

Hauptmonitor: Ja

Synchronisierung: Aus

Eingeschaltet: Ja

Quartz Extreme: Nicht unterstützt[/b] => NOT SUPPORTED

My biggest problem is, that i cant run opengl applications like warcraft III for example...

what did go wrong?

Download the NVDarwin installer package and run it and reboot. If this does not work then there is something wrong with some other part of your install. Don't forget to select your memory size with the customize button during install. Let me know how you get on. Leave your strings as they are.

Download the NVDarwin installer package and run it and reboot. If this does not work then there is something wrong with some other part of your install. Don't forget to select your memory size with the customize button during install. Let me know how you get on. Leave your strings as they are.

sweet!! I got this

NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GTX:

Chipset Model: NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GTX

Type: Display

Bus: PCIe

PCIe Lane Width: x16

VRAM (Total): 1024 MB

Vendor: NVIDIA (0x10de)

Device ID: 0x0612

Revision ID: 0x00a2

ROM Revision: NVdarwin 1.2.5

Displays:

Display Connector:

SAMSUNG:

Resolution: 1280 x 720 @ 60 Hz

Depth: 32-bit Color

Core Image: Hardware Accelerated

Main Display: Yes

Mirror: Off

Online: Yes

Quartz Extreme: Supported

Rotation: Supported

QuartzGL: Supported

but I cant see the top menu on my screen. any idea on how to fix that? thanks

I am trying to get my Hackintosh going... everything seems to be 100% except my graphics card.

My mobo is the Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5 and the card is a Sparkle GeForce 9800 GTX+ 1 GB.

I tried using the GeForce 9800 GTX package in the iPC bundle and it boots and is 1920x1200 as it should be, but Quartz Extreme is disabled and System Profiler only shows it as being a generic 512MB card. I've tried using the EFI string that devDelay posted a few pages back to no avail - also tried using nvdarwin.

Right now I am using no driver at 1024x768 and trying to figure out my next step. I think I am probably missing something simple - any advice?

Thanks!

Read last last few replies on this thread, it might help you out a lil bit ;)

I have read as much of the thread as I can (it's huge) - I saw aqua-mac recommending NVDarwin so I tried that. Didn't work.

Edit: I think I'm just not understanding the complete workflow... I have OS X up and running with no graphics drivers at all and the above mentioned video card. What do I do now? I've heard things like nvinject and editing the nvhalblahblah.kext to include my manuf and dev id strings, as well as putting in an EFI string, and that the EFI string is the be-all-end-all and I don't even need any modified kexts after I put that in. Am I doing things in the wrong order? Bleh!

When you say you have no graphics drivers, did you delete them? Leopard comes with a full set of graphics drivers as std. All we really end up doing is creating a connection between the drivers and our hardware, this job is normally carried out on a real mac by the Apple EFI rom in the graphics card. You should have the following kexts in your System/Library/Extensions folder when you install OSX if you are running a 9800 GTX:

GeForce.kext

GeForce8xxxGLDriver.bundle

GeForceFXGLDriver.bundle

GeForceGAPlugin.kext

GeForceVADriver.bundle

NVDANV50Hal.kext

NVDAResman.kext

These are Apples graphics drivers that are relevant to the above card.

Without these you are dead in the water. To run this card you really want 10.5.6 version installed as well, but you can get away with 10.5.5. On top of all this, you will need a minimum of EFI v8/v9 booter or Chameleon and GFX Strings or some kind of injector like NVKush.kext or NVDarwin.kext. Do not install more than one injector and if you go the GFX Strings route, remove the injectors as they override GFX Strings. If you want to try an injector, you can leave the GFXStrings in place as this will not be a problem.

My personal favorite solution is:

The above graphics kexts,

GUID formatting of your HDD,

GFX Strings

Vanilla Mach_kernel

Chameleon 2

I hope this clears up some confusion.

I do have all those default drivers, I just meant I didn't install anything extra from Video drivers in the iPC package.

Unfortunately I am away from my poor Hackintosh until Monday, but I will go through those steps and report back asap!

I appreciate the help.

When you say you have no graphics drivers, did you delete them? Leopard comes with a full set of graphics drivers as std. All we really end up doing is creating a connection between the drivers and our hardware, this job is normally carried out on a real mac by the Apple EFI rom in the graphics card. You should have the following kexts in your System/Library/Extensions folder when you install OSX if you are running a 9800 GTX:

GeForce.kext

GeForce8xxxGLDriver.bundle

GeForceFXGLDriver.bundle

GeForceGAPlugin.kext

GeForceVADriver.bundle

NVDANV50Hal.kext

NVDAResman.kext

These are Apples graphics drivers that are relevant to the above card.

Without these you are dead in the water. To run this card you really want 10.5.6 version installed as well, but you can get away with 10.5.5. On top of all this, you will need a minimum of EFI v8/v9 booter or Chameleon and GFX Strings or some kind of injector like NVKush.kext or NVDarwin.kext. Do not install more than one injector and if you go the GFX Strings route, remove the injectors as they override GFX Strings. If you want to try an injector, you can leave the GFXStrings in place as this will not be a problem.

My personal favorite solution is:

The above graphics kexts,

GUID formatting of your HDD,

GFX Strings

Vanilla Mach_kernel

Chameleon 2

I hope this clears up some confusion.

Your post is very concise and I am sure your instructions will work for me when I get my EVGA 9800 GTX+ in a few days!

I had a kind of noobish question: I actually have a GUID formatted HD, Vanilla Mach_kernel, 10.5.6, and could easily get the original GFX drivers back (I made a few edits to them to make my current XFX 7950 GTX work with QE/CI), and I was wondering how to install Chameleon 2 to my EFI partition. I used munky's EFI Partition install method, and so I am currently using the bootloader that he posted. When I run the Chameleon 2 install package, I am not able to view my hidden EFI partition (even though I used some terminal commands to have it mounted and appear on my desktop fully accessible using finder). Any idea how I could install Chameleon 2 on my hidden EFI partition and get rid of the old bootloader?

EDIT: Sorry I didn't see the answer through searching at first because I was looking for the wrong thing >.< I apologize!

hello there, hi aquamac , can u help me ?

well, i have a lapy ASUS G50Vt-X1 and it has a NVIDIA GeForce 9800M GS with 512MB of GDDR3 but i cant get it work on leopard 10.5.6 (iPC_OSx86_10_5_6)

i tryed:

*use injectors whit the latest nvidia kexts

- and nothing, the same thing i cant change my resolution and i havent a Quartz Extreme enabled.

*i downloaded the latest drivers that aquamac upload (V2) and.

-same thing

* tryed to add my Id Divice to the NVDANV50Hal, NVDAResman ( it is 0x062b )

-and same thing no res options and not Q/E enabled

*tryed to do GFX Strings Walkthrough whit a card thats is same to mine (9800 GT 512mb ) and then add the hex to com.apple.boot.plist manually and.

-and i get a black screen!!!

*tryed to add my custom card whit OSX86Tools and the import the hex to the com.apple.boot.plist and.

-get black screen again!

i dont know what else do!

some body has seen this card working on leo ?

thanks for u help (sorry my bad english)

Hi Revolt_team,

The black screen is caused by your Graphics card trying to work but probably with the wrong NVCAP values. Do you have another monitor to plug in to see if a picture is being output to an external monitor? You need to save your graphics cards rom, then use this to find the NVCAP values. Then post back here.

Instructions for Saving The Existing Rom on your Card

1. Create a Windows start up floppy disk.

2. Download the latest version of NVFLASH utility. Run it in windows to get the two files you need.

3. Copy the two downloaded files onto the floppy disk.

4. Place the Floppy into your computer, go into the bios (usually pressing the "Delete" button at startup and make sure the

computer is set to boot from your floppy disk drive.

5. The computer will boot from the floppy and you will hear the floppy disk being accessed.

6. When you get to the A: prompt, type the following;

eg ; nvflash -b save.rom

(leave a single space between as I have above or it will not work)

Remove the startup disk & reboot your computer, your rom will have been saved to the floppy disk.

Post the rom back here.

I think I am slowly understanding what I need to do... but why wouldn't an EFI string posted by someone with the exact same card and motherboard work? All I get is a black screen.

Also, what's the easiest way to revert a change like that if you can't boot into OS X?

Edit: Woohoo! Figured it out. I generated an EFI string in OSx86 Tools again, but this time told it the card was DVI-I/DVI-I (it's actually got one DVI, one VGA and one HDMI) and it worked. Not sure what the actual NVCAP value would be to use all 3 ports, but I just have one monitor and it's doing great. QE enabled, card recognized in system profiler... sweet.

The only problem I have left is that despite the correct HD being chosen in the bios, on every boot I have to open the boot menu and choose the HD again or the computer hangs right after post. Weird.

That is good news Pzy, glad you got it sorted! The bios problem seems weird. Might be worth setting the bios defaults, rebooting, entering the bios again then changing back to your specific settings.

"hi aqua

thanks for ur help i will check it atm

i have some questions, should i add my device id to the NVDANV50Hal.kext and NVDAResman.kext ?

i need to use a injector ?

i need install the latest drivers from the mac book pro ?

i need to have the latest drivers of mac for nvidia ? NVIDIA_9000_Series?

thanks

i did the GFX Strings - How To steps and ... i get a black screen aqua, again. the only thing that changed was that if i connect my 19" LCD it sends the black screen to it, and before i changed ur gfxutil_512_MB_9800m_GS.zip that doesnt hapens!.

any ideas ? i have iPC 10.5.6 whit chamaleon and vanilla kernel

thanks

I've got an eVGA 9600 GTX+ card with 512MB of memory and a Gigabyte EP45-UD3P mobo. I posted a while back on a separate thread about a problem I'm having with flickering, but I haven't gotten a response there.

I've managed to do installs of Kalyway 10.5.2 and iDeneb 10.5.6. Both work quite well except for a screen flicker problem that's quite annoying. I notice it most in dark regions like the background to the iTunes album view and iPhoto event view. I can also see some faint flickering if I have a desktop background with darker areas.

It seems to affect the entire screen, so I was thinking it was a refresh rate problem. My monitor tells me it's refreshing at 60Hz, which is normal for it. Would different drivers work better? I've been using NVInject, and that seems to work the best for me aside from this problem. I've tried some other drivers, but they don't work as well--no QE/CI or no picture at all.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.