Leopard on Quad Core Q6600

236 posts in this topic

I've been considering an HP machine for OSX86 that has the IPIBL-LB mobo (practically the same one). One person on this board hasn't been able to get all 4 cores of his Q6600 working on that one.

I was wondering if you guys (igotjshoe and kteljenkings) tried different settings in the BIOS before giving up on your current BIOS version? Maybe the update changed a setting that is interfering with the os x loading? BTW: did you install on a GUID or MBR partition?

I'll be following this discussion... thanks for keeping this thread current!

you can search these forums for my sad progress across different topics, including a lot of bios settings adjustments and such with the newer bios, as well as using every distribution out there, with the standard assorted set of flags.

I did just get the iATKOS_4i one this week, but my computer is still with HP getting its bios rolled back, at least they said they were going to do it this time, unlike the last time. But I will let you know whats up the minute its back.

you can search these forums for my sad progress across different topics, including a lot of bios settings adjustments and such with the newer bios, as well as using every distribution out there, with the standard assorted set of flags.

I did just get the iATKOS_4i one this week, but my computer is still with HP getting its bios rolled back, at least they said they were going to do it this time, unlike the last time. But I will let you know whats up the minute its back.

same here

all of my cores are working on my hp

Hey man! what method did u use? cuz i want to try leopard, I have a Hp Elite Quad Core Q6600, MB is Asus, 4gb Ram, 1TB HHD, and i dont really know what to do @.@, i mean im reading and reading but the info about quads its limited.

well i got my cpu back from hp and for the third time they didnt fix my bios so thats it for me i cant boot the leopard disk so until anyone figures out the problem vista 64 for me

Wait a sec, u dont have osx installed? what happen? i have almost the same pc dat u have and i wanna try leopard? whats wrong? we cant? T_T now ima start to cry meh :/

well i got my cpu back from hp and for the third time they didnt fix my bios so thats it for me i cant boot the leopard disk so until anyone figures out the problem vista 64 for me

aw i c ur update ur bios, but... the leopard works b4? fine? i have almost ur computer and i really wanna try :P

Hey man! what method did u use? cuz i want to try leopard, I have a Hp Elite Quad Core Q6600, MB is Asus, 4gb Ram, 1TB HHD, and i dont really know what to do @.@, i mean im reading and reading but the info about quads its limited.

Wait a sec, u dont have osx installed? what happen? i have almost the same pc dat u have and i wanna try leopard? whats wrong? we cant? T_T now ima start to cry meh :/

aw i c ur update ur bios, but... the leopard works b4? fine? i have almost ur computer and i really wanna try :(

everything worked until i updated my bios now they dont but ima just buy another exact board an install it then ill be back in the game hahahaha

bad news here, too, igotjshoe, HP returned mine today and they did everything but roll back the bios, so I am back where I was a month ago, with 5.13 and no go. I am going to try the iatkoi 4 distro tonight, then start looking for a replacement motherboard. they replaced the cpu, the memory, incredible, I want to strangle that service center. i even included an 8x11 print out in big letters that said "the only reason this is in service is t have bios downgraded to 5.07" no acknowledgement.

amazing.

kenny

I've read up on your threads guys, and I can't say you've exhausted all possibilities (at least in the threads and posts I've found).

- CAN you boot from USB on this motherboard? If you can, you could perform necessary disk operations and at least run a boot loader from a USB key and access your installs from there. When you boot, do you have an option to select the boot device?

- If you can't boot from USB, you should be able to boot linux from CD: you could set up your system from there and afterwards run a bootloader from CD.

- Have you tried installing from an external USB or Firewire drive? If you do that, you bypass any SATA issues and the Intel Raid driver.

I don't mean to dis your efforts at all: just offering some possibilities you may have not considered.

I've read up on your threads guys, and I can't say you've exhausted all possibilities (at least in the threads and posts I've found).

- CAN you boot from USB on this motherboard? If you can, you could perform necessary disk operations and at least run a boot loader from a USB key and access your installs from there. When you boot, do you have an option to select the boot device?

- If you can't boot from USB, you should be able to boot linux from CD: you could set up your system from there and afterwards run a bootloader from CD.

- Have you tried installing from an external USB or Firewire drive? If you do that, you bypass any SATA issues and the Intel Raid driver.

I don't mean to dis your efforts at all: just offering some possibilities you may have not considered.

well i can tell u that using an external hardrive well not work i just tried

well, I think I am going to be buying this:

Intel® Desktop Board DG33TL

to put in that box, I was going to install unbuntu on the drive I plan on puttin OS X on, and give it til the end of the month before I just buy it. They have em at newegg for like $90-108 or something reasonable, and I think its the lowest impact board regarding compatibility, but I read the bios is very limited towards overclocking, but I dont do that.

Kenny

I just got myself a refurb HP M9150f... now I see what you mean!! This board doesn't want to know nuthin! It's a variant of yours actually, an IPIBL-LB. Have you looked at this thread? My install stops with the same reported message and the proposed BIOS mod supposedly fixes the 4-core issues. I submitted mine... we'll see. If I do get a reply and I screw up my board, I guess I'll be joining your discussion of the best bang-for-the-buck micro-ATX mobos... :(

BTW: I used AFUDOS236 from ASUS to make a backup of the 5.25 BIOS in my system rather than extracting the ROM from the downloadable exe. Had we known we could have made a backup of the 5.07 BIOS ;(

yeah, thanks for the tip, I read the beginning of that thread back in may, but that was before I figured about the bios upgrade error. I put in a request too, that hex editing stuff all in windows is overwhelming.

Kenny

damn this would save me a huge pain in the ass instead of replacing that board,

sorry about that, i am checking out some bios editing tools on the windows side [im totally mac for years, I just bought my first pc in jan], and doing some reading, If I don't get any assist on that front, I think I am gonna try to see if I can become less intimidated by all that extracting and injecting/hex editing stuff. good luck with new egg.

thatd be very cool, I got a program offline called universal extractor, but I don't know anything about it [i am a windows neophyte X10]. I was waiting for the weekend to start various bios type stuff - I will try to see if it appears to extract anything this sat, and if it does, I will get a copy over to you to try to get a copy of your fresh bios. Thanks for the offer and congrats on getting back up and running.

my real life has been interfering with my hackintoshing lately, stupid old career.

Kenny