Dell Laptops Post-installer - XPS, Inspiron, Vostro, Lattitude

sonotone

1,017 posts in this topic

hi, i have a del xps m1530

4gb ram

8600mgts video card

hd audio

n for some strange reason really cant remember the rest,oops, but i dont think any of that is the problem. after installing your pack, the o.3 build, i am now unable to use my tracking pad or mouse buttons, or even the keyboard. when i login in it says the security of ffscroll is incorrect, but i cannot click on fix cause of no keyboard and mouse. my only choise seems to be to reinstall everything from before your update, but if there is another way then please inform me asap. i am un awares as to whether the sound works, which was the main reason other than shutdown that i installed your pack.

i installed both bios files, the 8600 graphics card which seems to work fine, improving my resolution, and again i cant remember anymore, but basically the majority of what is in your pack except for network because it does not support the 4965agn card yet. i did install the 2 finger scrolling which i presume has partly something to do with my now lack of keyboard and mouse, i have tried starting in safe mode but it still doesnt work.

anyway, a reply as soon as possible would be much appreciated, as i am in need of usung my final cut install to finish off my uni project.

Thanks

J

hi,

I don't know why, but it seem's that ApplePS2controler is not properly installed. If you have a dual boot, replace the one in backup folder to extensions folder as already explained; if not, start from DVD open terminal and type:

sudo mv -f /DellLaptops/Backup/ApplePS2Controller.kext /System/Library/Extensions/

then:

sudo chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions

sudo chown -R 0:0 /System/Library/Extensions

sudo rm -R /System/Library/Extensions.mkext

Hi

I have Inspiron 6400 with X1400 "1280x800" and LAN Broadcom 440x but i dont have nativ resolution and no internet but i have LAN card working i got MAC adress lan cabel led are off so OS tels my thers no internet cabel/connection but the cabel is plugedin

im runing KALYWAY 10.5.3 (with EFI) after KALYWAY Combo Update with new kernel 9.3 and Build 0.30 - 10.5.3 "Ready"

ps.

sorry for my poor english

Hi I'm using this installer for my dell vostro 1310 (the new 13.3") and the airport now shows up and scans, but I can not connect to any network, everytime I try it automatically tells me that it has failed. Also the wireless light on the laptop that usually lights up fully and brightly on the windows is not very dim on mac. Apart from that I have not noticed anything else with the latest package, and I was hoping you can implement this into your next one. For example I am using the Dell 1395 wireless card. and the chipset of my mobo is the GM965

@SMUGLY:

Did you install the network driver for Broadcom 44OX in Package? I'm also running on 10.5.3 and it's working for me.

About x1400, i have to take a look about what's up since new apple update.

@Zerius:

Did you install fix for 1390?

Or try to take a look here: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=51725

it seem's you need to install pre2 shell script; if it works, just tell me i will support it.

Don't worry about led, i got the same.

Yes i did installed Broadcom 440x drivers and i have MAC adress in system profiler but thers no connection and network settings pannel say dhat the my internet/lan cabel is disconected

My XP and Ubuntu working fine so its not the cabel

For those using Sigmatel 9228 and having inconsistant sound, post #1 at:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=81628

UPDATE 1: After lots of shutdowns and reboots, sound from internal speakers are still 100% working everytime. Didn't check the headphone and mic, but the mute button doesn't work.

UPDATE 2: Shut down (restart is not affected) doesn't work after patching (I've verified the problem by doing another install). So you gain something but lose another, bummer :lol:

thanks sonotone, but before I read that i decided to buy a new Atheros wifi chip (Gigabyte WI01GT) It works OOB for Mac OSX and it's alot better than what dell offers.

Now the next tast for me is to get sound working on it. I'll try to find out which sound chip is on this GM965 board.

Not to pour water on your head. But DellPackage is perhaps the most buggy piece of **** i have ever used for osx86. I wasted at least 10 full reinstalls because of it.

First of all machine specficiation:

Vostro 1400

4GB Ram

X3100

1440x900 resolution screen

iATKOS 2.0i install with stock 9.2.2 kernel and X3100 driver selected

Kalyway 10.5.3 combo update and kernel update to vanilla 9.3.0

Problems:

1. AppleIntelGMAX3100FB.KEXT later versions will give you a garbled screen after the hot corner trick. I am using a earlier version posted at the non-working X3100 thread. That includes the default iATKOS 2.0i install version as well as the Kalyway 10.5.3 combo update and 9.3.0 kernel update.

2. Default Kalyway 10.5.3 combo update broke the ACPIPlatform, which means no battery and no wireless(1395)

3. Installed DellPackage 0.31. Crash. PS2 not working

4. Reinstall from scratch. This time selected AppleACPIPlatform update only. Gives the ACPIPS2NUB error, and therefore broke the keyboard and mouse that I had to hook a external USB keyboard to boot into the single mode(-s) and check the version to match the AppleACPIPlatform version 1.2.1.

5. With AppleACPIPlatform.kext fixed, wireless came back from adding a line giving the 4315 devID to the broadcom 1395 kext

3. Now installed Media Keys update from DellPackage. It broke the mouse again. If you use the mouse, it will constantly slowly move toward the top left corner, no matter if you left click or right click or tap on the pad. It doesn't help when my hot corner is on the bottom right side corner. So it broke the screen too. Had to hook an USB mouse to use that to unlock the screen(X3100 bug)

4. Freaking 9228 sound card stopped working after 10.5.3 update. It was working in 10.5.2(buggy too since I had to mess with the STAC driver package and a couple of DellPakages to get it to work. ALCInject is depreciated in later DellPackages. Instead HDAEnabler is used. Apparently there is scripting issues in 10.5.3

So right now, everything works except the sound card and the broken trackpad mouse which constantly move towards the top left corner if touched. I am sensing that the creator of DellPackage doesn't have the Vostros in his test bed. I am getting really frustrated since it took me a good 10+ reinstalls from scratch just to figure out which package broke which, yet still left with a system without a working mouse and sound.

Fix the damn thing.

I had no issues whatsoever, I am glad sonotone put this out-- it makes things soooo much easier, perhaps your are not installing your osx correctly... either way -- OSX isnt like vista, you don't have to reinstall if errors come up, just replace the appropriate kexts and youll be good to go.

So which kext do I modify to get my PS2 Trackpad back? The bug came out since I installed media keys update from the Dellpackage 0.31. Now the media keys work, the PS2 pad started going to the top left. :)

It is weird, after 30 some minutes, sound suddenly started working. First sound came out of a warning from Activity Monitor.

Not to pour water on your head. But DellPackage is perhaps the most buggy piece of **** i have ever used for osx86. I wasted at least 10 full reinstalls because of it...

...Fix the damn thing.

This is the worst comment i have ever seen here :(

Thanks.

This is the worst comment i have ever seen here :wacko:

Thanks.

What did you expect, if he reinstalled 10 times he is definitely a Microsoft victim (acustomed to reinstall every time something fail), I never reinstalled Leopard because a kernel Panic or conflicting kext, you can fix/delete/move any file with the installation DVD if you don't have another working Mac Installation or MacDrive.

Besides demanding that you fix it, wow :shock:

lol, Sonotone, macgirl, you guys are too funny replying to each other. Seriously, man, right now the sound works 30% of the time, and the PS2 trackpad is fubared because of the media key update. I chose to reinstall because some of the bugs(for example PS2 going out) affected the X3100 hot corner hack, you know, how the heck do you move the mouse to a corner when you don't have PS2 keyboard/mouse working? So instead of just keyboard/mouse going out, I am left with a black screen with no way out. After a few times, I found out about the USB keyboard/mouse trick, which helped me reduce the time between each try a lot.My question is this sonotone, how many Dell laptops do you actually test before releasing your package? I see that you release them on a weekly basis, and most of the patches you supply simply don't work. One mistake, you basically fubar'd your user's machine.Still trying to figure out that nasty PS2 bug. brb. I will take a peek in your backup folder.

Update: OK restored the ApplePS2Controller.kext from /DellLaptop folder, and it took away the media keys functionality and restored the PS2 trackpad. Now last problem to solve is this intermittent STAC9228 sound card. Last time it got activated by me clicking on the TAB key constantly in a Terminal trying to get a filename autofilled. It is so weird.

Update: I have confirmed again that logging into Terminal and clicking on the TAB key to auto fill command "cd /De TAB Key" to try to get into the /DellLaptop folder restores the sound card into functional state. It is so messed up. what the hell is going on?

You should know that sound issues has nothing to do with Sonotone's package, read my guide is full of "I have no sound" reports, and as I stated in 1st post the sound kext is experimental and we all are having issues. And if you read more you will see that Vostro users have issues with the 2Finger scroll too.

Your Tab Key issue posibly came from a different shell between main user and root user, by Default Leopard assigns a different shell than bash for root, so first thing I did is to change root shell with "chsh", you can also use bash if you write "bash" in the terminal. Also I added this to my user's home folder and root home folder on a file named .inputrc

set completion-ignore-case On

set show-all-if-ambiguous On

This permits you that you write "cd /de" or "cd /DE" and the tab key fills the rest no matter if the first letters do not correspond in upper or lower case and if there are several files with the same first letter to show them.

Also I put this on /etc/bashrc and /var/root/.bashrc:

HISTCONTROL=ignoreboth

so history in .bash_history files do not have several lines with the same item.

Another Tab Key problem could came from a different keyboard layout.

So instead of blaming sonotone who didn't make the kexts and patches investigate the real issues of each of the components.

You can even install all the patches manually or with kext helper if this package is so awful.

Yea sound works for me but only when I wake from sleep.... It works some of the time after reboots, but it depends I suppose... for me it works 100% of the time after sleep wake.

Do some research -- Insanelymac is def the best resource-- and if you get too frustrated then just go buy a real mac lol.

Bigdaddy821: I would like to remenber you few things:

- This is a BETA, so, "theoretically", you are a tester.

- As you guessed, i don't have 15 dells at home for test, that's why i opened this tread, to improve package with constructives feedbacks.

- I'lm not a "service after sale", you're not a client, i'm not payed for it, so don't be hard to please like that.

- Watch your langage, if you think that this installer is {censored}, keep it for you, we are civilized peoples.

- OSX86, especially with laptops, will never be perfect; so if you're not satisfied by kexts provides by the community, feel free to code your own.

I hope you will change your behaviour by discovering what excatly this community is.

Hi all,

I have experienced similar problems as Bigdaddy with various patches. I have a XPS M1530 with a Dell 1505 811.n wireless card, 1440x900 Nvidia 8600M GT, Sigmatel-Audio (9205?), DVD. and I would really appreciate if someone could tell me whether it is possible to run OS X 10.5.3 with sound and CI/QE and 2-finger-scroll and battery meter working all at the same time?

I would like to install using Kalway 10.5.2 and thereafter applying 10.5.3 combo-update and then using the DellPackage 0.3.1 from Sonotone. Would that work, and if so, what drivers would I have to choose and what kernel should I choose? Are there any kexts I should install in addition to that?

In other words, I would like to have a recipe that works for my machine in the above mentioned way. I tried many different combinations before myself, however, I did not manage to get sound, keyboard and graphics working flawlessly at the same time. Even though I have consulted the forum several times. Would it help to stay at 10.5.2?

Thank you so much in advance!

CU

S.