[Release] Leo4VMware by ~pcwiz

504 posts in this topic

I got that too once. Try going into your Tiger VM and repairing permissions on the Leopard drive. I don't know whats wrong, I thoroughly checked everything and repaired permissions and all before I released it. Also try leaving it on for an hour or so, maybe it will pass by. Hold on, I'm booting the Leopard VM right now on my system to see if the same thing happens (hope it doesn't!)

:wacko:

~pcwiz

EDIT: Just booted the VM and its fine. Booted up in like 3 minutes...I wonder whats wrong with your one. If any others have tried my image, can you post back with your results please?

Another thing NSCXP2005, what version of VMware are you using? I'm using VMware Workstation 6.0.0 build 45731. The latest release (6.0.3) might have problems if you are using that one.

tashymaster,

Tell me if it works so I can put it in my guide :wacko:

NSCXP2005,

Yup it would take 20-30 mins to boot. If it doesn't boot after an hour or so, boot in verbose to see whats stalling it

No problem - just got to get the image first before I do anything else lol. Will keep you posted

NSCXP,

No problem. We all have things to learn :wacko: Its still gotten me stumped as to why its happening. OH WAIT. I REMEMBER SOMETHING. After you Repair your permissions try booting the VM. If it still stalls, then tap F8 when OS X is loading to get to the boot: prompt. Type in:

mach_kernel.toh

And hit enter. This boots an older 10.5.1 kernel and it should boot the system successfully :P

tashymaster,

Sure thanks :)

Hi ~pcwiz,

I have booted into Tiger and used Disk Utility to fix the permissions on the Leopard drive, but when I do I get this error.

First Aid Failed

Disk Utility stopped repairing permissions on

"Leopard" because the following error was

encountered

No valid packages

Any idea what is wrong?

I downloaded it and ran it no problems the first time. The only thing i noticed is that i get a circle with a slash which at first made me think it wasn't going to work, but after waiting a while it went right into the OS. Great job PCwiz!!! Now to get the ethernet working!!!

Thanks pcwiz for your hard work! I want you to know that my ethernet is just working fine. I've only added my network card in the vmware image and started the network configuration utility under the system preferences. Leo identified a new network card and thats it. I've added a schreenshot of my woking ethernet...

Greetz Sichel

post-185957-1206876694_thumb.jpg

NSCXP2005,

Just skip the repair permissions and do the mach_kernel.toh thing I said :|

modified,

Very glad it works :)

sichel,

Gotta try that, let me do it now :) I can't believe I didn't think to try that :) I should post up instructions for getting Ethernet working if it actually does work.

coolio2004,

So it does work in fusion? Try what sichel said about Ethernet.

EDIT: IT WORKS!! ETHERNET WORKS!! Instructions on the main post in a sec

Ehternet works indeed :)

Is it me or is it very slow? When i booted the VM i also got an error that my cpu didnt support it or something, so i guess my cpu isnt 64 bit, maybe thats the problem? But finally i can try leopard, looks slick, good job PCwiz and sachel!

Edit: i chose a solid color wallpaper and now everything is faster :|

Jezz,

You could experiment with switching the guest OS to plain FreeBSD rather than FreeBSD 64-bit. That caused a VM stack error for me but maybe its because I'm using a 64bit OS. Try it out, it won't hurt.

Glad everything else is working. I've updated the thread with Ethernet configuring instructions (its easier to configure in Leo than Tiger :D)

EDIT: Oh yeah and it is slow. Don't expect to do any heavy lifting with it. But you know, surprisingly no matter what task I throw at it, even heavy ones, it does manage to do it with a bit of time.

Hi,

OK, on my laptop it's working including network (VMWorkstation 6.03).

On my pc still not, but i've just upgraded vmworkstation to 6.03.

Have to reboot sometime to see if that helps.

Even dhcp works.

~pcwiz,

congratulations with the result.

I tried to crate an image using your description however I couldn't find the ToH kernel, so I am now downloading your image.

I do have a question, which has to do with running the image from a partition instead of a file, by bit-coying (via dd) the .vmdk file to a partition.

Would that work?? If so I expect the virtual appliance will run faster.

Hx

Probably faster, yes. But by just placing the virtual disk file (that contains everything) on a different partition than your boot drive that you are running from, that improves performance. If you want to try bit copying it then convert it to IMG with qemu-img before writing it to a partition. The ToH kernel is easy to find, it was on IRC.

EDIT: Since so many are having problems with IRC I'll host the files on Mediafire and link it up...

EDIT2: Anyone who wants Rapidshare pm rnr