[Release] Leo4VMware by ~pcwiz

504 posts in this topic

Hi ~pcwiz et al,

Has anybody gotten this working on a Core 2 Duo U7500, the ultra-low voltage version of the C2D? I made several attempts today but all were unsuccessful. Perhaps someone can give me a hint? I am running 64-bit Linux as a host on a dell d430 with 64GB ssd. I have tried:

• VMware Workstation 6.0.3 and Server 1.0.5. with "-v", "-v -vmware", "mach_kernel.toh -v", and "mach_kernel.toh -v -vmware". I always get an error message saying that the ACPI version is not the expected 0x14. It kernel panics with something like "commpage no match on last routine". Googling this error suggested that I need a cpu with sse3, which clearly my core 2 duo has... I also checked in the vmware bios that my CPU spec was set to 1.4 instead of 1.1.
  • VMware Workstation 6.5 beta build 91182. with "-v", "-v -vmware", "mach_kernel.toh -v", and "mach_kernel.toh -v -vmware". Also tried with donk's darwin-64 vmx file, same options. In almost all cases I get a VMware virtual monitor error. In one case, i think using freebsd-64 and mach_kernel.toh -v, the vmware virtual monitor did not crash but instead i got an error message that "timeRDTSC() calibration failed with 2 attempts"

Has anybody experienced similar problems? Any suggestions? Is Leo4VMware possible on a ULV chip w/Linux? I have been able to use Kalyway 10.5.1 on this hardware with success (but no vmware).

Thanks in advance!

sweet, -legacy works, sort of. It now gets much further along in the boot process, but several processes crash when the login window security agent gets launched. I'm seeing mds, kextcache, ReportCrash, and spotlight crashing :)

I have yet to open up the crashlogs and determine what went wrong.

By the way, the timeRDTSC() error only happens when numvcpus=2 in the .vmx and using freebsd-64 as the guest type. I'm guessing it's due to a buggy interaction between vmware and leopard that was solved by the good folks at vmware when they created the darwin-64 machine type.

Fortunately everything works smoothly on my core 2 duo desktop machine, so i may stick with that for now.

Update:

I encountered the same problem that some people were having earlier in this thread, namely that NAT ethernet wasn't working with workstation 6.0.3. The problem seems to have been a combination of dhcp not working and the mac address not getting set properly. In case others are interested and in case a solution hasn't been posted elsewhere, I solved it (at least temporarily!) with the following changes:

1. find the mac address specified in the .vmx file on the line ethernet0.address = "AA:BB:CC:DD:EE:FF"
  2. on the terminal in the mac vm, i ran ifconfig en0 lladdr "AA:BB:CC:DD:EE:FF" to change the mac from 00:00:00:00:00:00 to the correct address.
  3. in the network control panel, i manually configured my ip address, subnet mask, router address, and dns details. In my case, the vmware virtual device was on the 192.168.192.x subnet, so these values were ip address: 192.168.192.128, subnet mask: 255.255.255.0, router: 192.168.192.2, dns server: 192.168.192.2, dns search path: localdomain. Each vmware installation is different, so it's necessary to find the proper address for the host machine nat device (vmnet8) using either ipconfig on windows or ifconfig on unices.
  4. I went into the network control panel and made the en0 device inactive, applied, then active, and applied. Not sure if that step is necessary. I also noticed that the network control panel still says en0 is unplugged, even though it's working just fine.
  5. Something will probably have to be done to configure the hardware address automatically at bootup. I haven't gotten that far yet.

Update 2:

I declared victory too soon. The network did not configure itself nicely after reboot. Apparently setting the MAC address at boot is well documented in another thread. Looks like it's also necessary for me to manually configure the dns at every boot:

sudo ifconfig en0 lladdr 00:11:22:33:44:55:66 
sudo scutil << EOF 
open
d.init
d.add Active TRUE
set State:/Network/Interface/en0/Link
quit
EOF

It's ugly!! The first line sets the MAC address, and the subsequent lines trick the OS into thinking the network cable is connected. Then I had to go into the Network Control panel and trick it into reconfiguring the DNS by going to Advanced->DNS->Search Domains and adding a new search domain. If anyone can suggest a better way of getting the DNS to configure I'd be much obliged...

Hi pcwiz, you're the man! I want to do some iPhone development but I don't want to buy a new computer (very happy with my T61, thank you very much), and it looks like you just saved the day. :D

I downloaded 35 of the 36 pieces from filefactory, but it said that #29 was missing/expired. I got that one from rapidshare and after renaming it to match the others, 7-Zip extracted the whole thing just fine.

I couldn't get it to work in VMware Server; VMware Player did work but I couldn't get networking going there; I then downloaded VMware Workstation 6.0.4 and everything seems OK there so far. Networking worked right off the bat using your method #1. I tried to set the display resolution to 1440x900, but I'm only getting 1152x864 -- still better than 1024x768, I guess! :D

I would like to upgrade to 10.5.3 so I can run the latest iPhone SDK, but I noticed in your release notes that you said not to install the Time Machine upgrade because it replaces the kernel, potentially messing up the install. I'm guessing that the 10.5.3 OS upgrade has the same potential problem so I'm staying away from that for now.

Is there some way that I can make a donation to support your efforts -- do you have a PayPal account for that or something along those lines?

- Thomas

Pcwiz leopard image works very slow because IDE hard disk seems to work in PIO mode (maximum 1Mb/sec transfer). I've copied system to SCSI disk, now system accesses hard disk much heavier while booting, but after 10-15 seconds of booting virtual machine just turns off. Any ideas why is this happening or how to avoid this?

Interestingly, I have succeeded in booting the virtual machine from a physical SCSI disk. It screwed up my volume naming and numbering and mounting schemes (I cloned it from an IDE virtual disk and booted off the same VM), so now that I have removed it there is a big gap where main HD should be, and there is no "/" disk anymore, it is called /Leopard 1. It still works though, so I'd keep trying.

first off, thanks for the release ~pcwiz

Has anyone been able to get vine (VNC for OSX) running on this ?

I would like to connect to the display remotely with a windows machine.

I'd rather not use and X server.

Well you can actually use VMware itself to create VNC connections. Check out the remote display tab in the VMware guest option dialog. Added advantage is that you can control the guest all the way from boot to shutdown.

Thanks for this ~pcwiz.

There is also a unofficial torrent floating around. But I think searching for "~pcwiz VMWare" on your favorite torrent site will get it B)

Im going to try this on a Asus P5B Deluxe, Intel Core 2 Duo, and VMWare 6.0.4. Wish me luck! :)

OK copied it in safe mode :)Now its been in the gray screen, with the Apple logo, and that circle thing spinning from shades of gray to black.Its been like this for about a hour.vmlt3.jpgIm booting it now with -v

Same thing for me exactly :-(

And: very often get "timeRDTSC() calibation failed with 2 attempts" on startup; just occasionally it continues to boot...

BTW: using VMPlayer - this a bad idea?

Thanks a bundle for getting this far!

@AheadOSX: What kind of CPU do you have? Can you give a model number? I was getting the timeRDTSC error also, but only when using the VM on an ultra-low voltage core 2 duo chip.

No, it is a fairly standard Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 @ 2.4 GHz chip. On an Asustek P5LD2 mainboard.

Thanks for answering!

Great work!

The linux users should look here:

http://alex.csgraf.de/self/?part/projects&...0OSX$tab=3

for a faster and free VMWare replacement.

For me it is 5x times faster than vmware.

Network works fine

The VMWARE image works out of the box without any modifikations.

I used this startup command:

qemu-system-x86_64 -M mac -hda leopard.vmdk -m 512m -no-kvm-irqchip -cdrom /home/ralf/Desktop/gcc41/Leo4allv3final/V3-Final.part34/Leo4Allv3.iso -kernel boot.sys -net nic -net user

The USB's WORK and heres a screenshot to prove it, Just add it by going into VM > Options > USB Cotrollers > Add > Ok Then stat the VMWare, Then just add your flash drive but MAKE SURE IS FAT32 OR A MAC READABLE

And another think my iPod classic wont work :P:blink:

Heres a screenshot show to prove Im using bluetooth and Searching for my nokia N95 (Cable & Wireless Bluetooth 10m USB Adapter)

lepordbluetooth1.jpg

lepordbluetooth2.jpg

My CPU says Unknow BUT It shows my CPU info In tiger by osx86/tom's computer

CPU info is

Intel P4 HT 3.00ghz, SSE,SSE2,SSE3,EMT64

socket 775 LGA775

and in tiger is reads it fine

Cheers

liverpoolatnight