[Release] Leo4VMware by ~pcwiz

504 posts in this topic

I'm anxious to try this out. I spent most of yesterday downloading the 36 files. However the unrar is failing on all of the packages I've tried both gui and command line (RarZilla, WinRar, unrar). By failng the GUI programs just stop responding and I have to kill them. The command line reports an appcrash. The results are the same whether I run these extractors on the same machine as the files or on another machine accessing the shared folder. I've verified the MD5 on each file.

Is this normal?

Finally, the goal is to run within Windows 2008 Hyper-V. I've found tools to convert vmdk to vhd but obviously need a working vmdk first ! By any chance does someone have a vhd version?

Thanks for your work Pcwiz! I was able to boot in vmware. I just can't get the internet connected and I tried both methods and still not able to connect. I also, don't have sound too. Any help on this. one of the steps ask for a DCHP client ID and when I enter nothing and click continue, it doesn't let me proceed. Plus I am not able to go into the hardware profile. The screen closes and tehn it ask me to relaunch and when I click relaunch it just does it again. thanks! Can you help on this.

post-174411-1220662865_thumb.jpg

post-174411-1220663374_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
NSCXP,

No problem. We all have things to learn :blink: Its still gotten me stumped as to why its happening. OH WAIT. I REMEMBER SOMETHING. After you Repair your permissions try booting the VM. If it still stalls, then tap F8 when OS X is loading to get to the boot: prompt. Type in:

mach_kernel.toh

And hit enter. This boots an older 10.5.1 kernel and it should boot the system successfully :D

tashymaster,

Sure thanks :)

When i hit F8 nothing happens. I keep getting an error for the 64 bit OS. I cant get it to work in VM Workstation 6.5, ESX 3.5, or VM Fusion.

The Leo4VMware image rocks!

Using VMware workstation 6.5.0 build 118166, the image works great on both my systems (see specs below). When I try to update the OS to 10.5.4 or 10.5.5, both of my computers give me the guest OS disabled the CPU message. The attached screenshots are the the result of update & restart.

Now I might be missing something simple here & making a basic mistake, but I can't figure out what that might be. What's wrong that two wildly different systems would have the same problem when upgrading the OS? Doing this has worked fine for others, right?

System 1

Dell PowerEdge SC1420 server

Dual Xeon's @3GHz

1GB RAM

Windows Server 2003 (SP1)

System 2

Thinkpad R61

Core2 Duo T7500 @ 2.2GHz

3GB RAM

32bit Vista Ultimate (SP1)

post-187079-1222882512_thumb.jpg

post-187079-1222888571_thumb.jpg

Hi,

I downloaded and tried to run it on my PC but it didn't work...

my config is AMD Phenom BE 9850 2 GB RAM Vmware 6.02

It always gets stuck on the first screen. then i tried F8 and -v -f then it got stuck here..

ab1bgj.jpg

Please help me getting it work.. I am not sure what to do.. the whole

this is the vmx file..

bios.bootDelay = "5000"
config.version = "8"
virtualHW.version = "6"
scsi0.present = "TRUE"
scsi0.virtualDev = "lsilogic"
memsize = "1024"
scsi0:0.present = "FALSE"
scsi0:0.fileName = "FreeBSD 64-bit.vmdk"
ide1:0.present = "TRUE"
ide1:0.fileName = "I:"
ide1:0.deviceType = "cdrom-raw"
floppy0.autodetect = "TRUE"
usb.present = "FALSE"
ehci.present = "TRUE"
sound.present = "TRUE"
sound.fileName = "-1"
sound.autodetect = "TRUE"
svga.autodetect = "TRUE"
pciBridge0.present = "TRUE"
mks.keyboardFilter = "allow"
displayName = "Mac OS X Leopard"
guestOS = "other-64"
nvram = "FreeBSD 64-bit.nvram"
deploymentPlatform = "windows"
virtualHW.productCompatibility = "hosted"
tools.upgrade.policy = "useGlobal"

ide0:0.present = "TRUE"
ide0:0.fileName = "leopard.vmdk"
ide1:0.autodetect = "FALSE"
floppy0.present = "FALSE"

isolation.tools.hgfs.disable = "TRUE"

uuid.location = "56 4d 36 c0 f4 95 1d 84-18 80 8d d3 71 de 77 39"
uuid.bios = "56 4d ac 12 29 23 c7 47-29 3c 64 7f 44 c0 8d e7"
ide0:0.redo = ""
pciBridge0.pciSlotNumber = "17"
scsi0.pciSlotNumber = "16"
sound.pciSlotNumber = "32"
ehci.pciSlotNumber = "33"

extendedConfigFile = "FreeBSD 64-bit.vmxf"

ide1:0.startConnected = "FALSE"

numvcpus = "2"

tools.remindInstall = "TRUE"

these are the files that i downloaded

15pn3u0.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I hate to beat a dead horse, but I am very interested in running a virtualized Leopard (such as this one, as it's handy!) under VirtualBox. Yes, yes, I know about the "go use VMWare" line, but I need to virtualize OS X in an environment where VMWare isn't available. Moreover, according to some data I've seen, VirtualBox is faster than VMWare when running OS X, so I think everybody should be interested :(

It's clearly possible with Tiger:

http://forums.virtualbox.org/viewtopic.php?t=2076

It seems possible with Leopard too:

http://alex.csgraf.de/self/?qemu/

Another set of solutions for Virtual Box:

http://sites.google.com/a/puredarwin.org/p...pers/virtualbox

The problem is that I can't get it to work, for the life of me! Every attempt leads to failure following the kext loading process, either with a fatal error, or the window just... goes away! I've done everything suggested on all sites, save for the references to boot-132_dfe_r146. The result is the same in safe mode, single user mode, if I rebuild the kext cache (-f), etc.

Basically, you can drop the pcwiz vmdk file into a new FreeBSD virtual machine, switch to kernel over to the toh kernel, and it will be quite happy.. until the kexts load!

Anybody have ideas here?

Excellent!

~PCWIZ, thank you for your time and knowledge.

////////////////////////////////////////////////////

/// ///

/// SUCCESSFUL LEOPARD OS INSTALL ///

/// ///

////////////////////////////////////////////////////

This is my story....

1. Downloaded the Torrent Downloader called Vuze: http://www.vuze.com/Download.html

2. Downloaded the torrent file to initiate the download of the "~pcwiz's VMware Leopard Image” from FILE REMOVED

3. From within the Vuze Software I received 36 parts:

Mac OS X Leopard_part01.rar thru Mac OS X Leopard_part036.rar

In order to maximize speed I changed the upload and download speed to “0” which means no limit. This makes your “Share Ratio” greater than 0.5

The share ratio is used by Torrent Seeders (People sending you the file). If it’s below 0.5 or even 0.9 they slow the speed of your download to 10-20kB/s. My Ratio was 0.7 and received speeds of 250kB/s download (6 hours for the torrent).

4. Downloaded WINRAR(http://www.rarlab.com/rar/wrar380.exe)from RARLAB to extract the Leopard image out of the 36 files. I right clicked on the file “Mac OS X Leopard_part01.rar” and selected extract with winrar.

5. Downloaded the easy to use VMWARE Server software (This is free and is an enterprise class of virtualization: http://www.vmware.com/freedownload/login.php?product=server20 ) to host the leopard VM.

6. In the extracted Leopard folder, I replaced the contents of this file: “FreeBSD 64-bit.vmx” with Donk’s VMX file:

# Hacked by Donk

.encoding = "windows-1252"

bios.bootDelay = "5000"

checkpoint.vmState = ""

checkpoint.vmState.readOnly = "FALSE"

config.version = "8"

deploymentPlatform = "windows"

displayName = "Leopard"

ehci.pciSlotNumber = "33"

ehci.present = "TRUE"

ethernet0.address = "00:50:56:11:22:33"

ethernet0.addressType = "static"

ethernet0.connectionType = "nat"

ethernet0.pciSlotNumber = "32"

ethernet0.present = "TRUE"

ethernet0.virtualDev = "e1000"

ethernet0.wakeOnPcktRcv = "FALSE"

extendedConfigFile = "FreeBSD 64-bit.vmxf"

floppy0.autodetect = "TRUE"

floppy0.fileName = "A:"

floppy0.present = "FALSE"

guestOS = "freebsd"

ide0:0.fileName = "leopard.vmdk"

ide0:0.present = "TRUE"

ide0:0.redo = ""

ide1:0.autodetect = "TRUE"

ide1:0.deviceType = "cdrom-raw"

ide1:0.exclusive = "FALSE"

ide1:0.fileName = "auto detect"

ide1:0.present = "TRUE"

ide1:0.startConnected = "FALSE"

memsize = "1536"

mks.keyboardFilter = "allow"

monitor = "release"

monitor_control.disable_checkcode = "TRUE"

monitor_control.disable_checkcodeexpire = "TRUE"

nvram = "leopard.nvram"

paevm = "TRUE"

pciBridge0.pciSlotNumber = "17"

pciBridge0.present = "TRUE"

priority.grabbed = "high"

scsi0.pciSlotNumber = "16"

scsi0.present = "TRUE"

scsi0.virtualDev = "lsilogic"

sound.autodetect = "TRUE"

sound.fileName = "-1"

sound.present = "TRUE"

svga.autodetect = "TRUE"

tools.remindInstall = "TRUE"

tools.syncTime = "FALSE"

tools.upgrade.policy = "useGlobal"

usb.generic.autoconnect = "FALSE"

usb.present = "TRUE"

uuid.action = "KEEP"

uuid.bios = "56 4d 50 97 29 7a 74 3f-a8 4a 39 81 24 7b c7 78"

uuid.location = "56 4d 92 44 04 80 38 6e-5c e0 a8 04 16 4d c2 7f"

virtualHW.productCompatibility = "hosted"

virtualHW.version = "6"

vmotion.checkpointFBSize = "16777216"

sound.pciSlotNumber = "34"

7. Renamed the following files in the extracted Leopard folder:

FreeBSD 64-bit.vmxf to leopard.vmxf

FreeBSD 64-bit.nvram to leopard.nvram

8. Clicked on the VMWARE server icon and logged in using my windows credentials

9. Clicked on the Virtual Machine menu item and selected “Add Virtual Machine”. Browsed thru until I found the file “FreeBSD 64-bit.vmx” and clicked ok.

10. Selected the memory dropdown from the summary tab inside vmware server to change the ram to 1.5 GB from 2 GB

11. Selected “play” or “run” to start the “Leopard” VM.

12. Leopard starts and goes to the normal Apple desktop.

13. NETWORK ACTIVATION:

/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

From the ~PCWIZ post (http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=96277&st=0&start=0)

· Go back to System Preferences and open the Network preferences again

· Click on Ethernet from the left pane and at the bottom click the Assist Me button

· In the resulting dialog box click the Assistant button

· The Network Setup Assistant will start up, give the Location a name and click Continue

· Choose the "I use a cable modem to connect to the Internet" option

· Click Continue again, and then it will take a moment and tell you that you can't connect automatically and to enter some details

· Without entering any details click Continue and click OK at the dialog box (this sort of "activates" the Ethernet)

· Now click the Go Back button twice to get to the screen to choose a connection option

· This time choose "I connect to my local area network (LAN)"

· At the Ready to Connect screen click Continue and now it will give you a confirmation that you are connected

· Click Done or whatever button and close System Preferences, Internet should be working

/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

---------------------------->>>> SUCCESS !!! <<<<---------------------------

14. The OS runs, mouse is more fluid, sound works, USB works and the internet is available.

Notes: I did have to execute the network activation steps the next time I started the VM.

Yes the OS is slow on my laptop and the graphics are ok. I will probably copy the entire Leopard VM to my Vista 64 bit Tower and run it on that machine (Intel quad core, 6 GB ram).

Hope this helps.

So I tried this leopard on vmware (after patching it for AMD) and it boots up no problems - however, no ethernet and no usb. So can anyone tell me of any successes they've had using OSX in vmware giving them both ethernet and USB? Ideally I'd like to connect USB audio to my virtual mac.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

A workaround for disappearing internet settings on reboot is to take a snapshot once you have established a connection and give it a name i.e OSX internet then goto vm/settings/options/snapshot/replay and set the power off option to "revert to snapshot" the next time you start the snapshot complete with your connection will start.

Not the ideal solution as the problem appears to be a permissions issue as the settings are'nt being saved and if you lock the settings on the next restart the settings disappear and the lock is unlocked?

starting in safe mode screws it alltogether so the ???is where are the settings and lock saved so the permissions can be modified.i.e with batchmod(free dload) also running disk utility verify reveals a few errors i've only been at this one day as i am new to mac but have tinkered with linux.Still

THE ANSWER IS OUT THERE :) !