Anyone left Windows behind for good with their hackintosh?

ecotopian

82 posts in this topic

On my Hackintosh desktop, Mac OS X is the only operating system.

On my Hackintosh laptop, I use Mac OS X about 99.9% of time and Microsoft Windows Vista 0.1%.

I need Microsoft Money (because Quicken sucks big time). So sad.

To me, Windows is fabulous for trivial things (such as Internet browsing and writing emails) but is the worst for developing programs, managing processes, and typesetting documents. Linux is fantastic for these tasks but I am sick of configuring systems, libraries, and especially user environment. Worst is there will be always something that I cannot do with Linux. I had used Red Hat, Fedora, Debian, and Ubuntu. Mac OS X beats all these when it comes to a desktop. If I need to run servers, then I would do with Linux. (But still, I would access those servers from Mac OS X. I wouldn't attach a monitor to any Linux system.)

--S

Yep, did it. Got started hacking the mac os with the iPhone. Found the OSX 86 project thru that. Put it in my desktop, then went out and bought a kit of parts: new MB, SATA drives, processor, memory and vid card. Have a plain vanilla hackintosh now, rarely use win now, only to get to my bank. For some reason, the stupid java security app for the bank won't run on the mac. Then went out and bought a macbook to replace my vaio and away I went!

Not bad for apple, coming from a guy who's dad was a senior guy at Apple during the "Pirates of Silicon Valley" days. Dad left them cause Jobs was a maniac, but kept the love for the Mac. I never could see the value in mac vs pc situation, the HW was simply too expensive for the same levels of performance.

Now, save the pc at work, all Mac all the time. 2 iPhones hacked to work in Russia, one Hackintosh desktop and the MacBook!

"To be honest, Windows is still my main OS. Mac OS X is just a fun experimental OS for me. I would use OS X as a main OS, but the problem remains that if something goes wrong with your install (which happens quite often) and you can't get it working and you didn't backup, then that wouldn't be very good"

I Agree with this

I have...Well kinda. I have to keep windows on one of my drives cuz of my family...you know when their stuff doesnt work they gotta come running to me to use my computer.

Well. I do also keep windows on their for when I need to replace the kernel after ive updated and not realized what Ive done.

So yeah I basically us OS X 100% of the time unless I need to replace some files, cuz im too lazy to use terminal. ;)

1 PC with MAC

1 PC with Vista

Both the same power

not really. My mac runs hell lot faster than Vista. including boot up and shutdown process.

But if you talk about 3D render, games and such then, Vista gets the thumb.

I dropped windows completely myself. Not going back too.

I even purchased a MacBook Pro now and my next desktop machine will probably be a MacPro. I work with audio applications a lot and my experiences with OSX are so much better that i'm not going back as long as i see no improvement in windows.

I just love OSX! Shamefully the hardware is a tad more expensive...but what the h#$k. It works like a charm. :)

I guess we can say that hackintosh is working out as a positive thing for Apple in the end. After the hackintosh experience a lot of people seem to buy a Mac instead of a normal pc.

I don't buy the argument that hacks are risky to use because they may crash. It is so easy to back up your libraries now, it's automatic using time machine. I would not worry about the system itself. By now, it's second nature to wipe my system and reinstall. If you were using Windows and got a virus, you may end up reinstalling too.

Yes I have.

I was tired of MS for a long time. Tried Ubuntu and, to be fare, is a nice OS. But I dont want to waste anymore time with my OS. I just want to produce, I have a million things to do. Games? Thats why I have a 360. No more expensive videocards and driver chases.

At first Osx86 was a playground. Suddenly I have realized that my second drive (the XP one) was getting dust. I have compiled a list of software that I use, resarched the mac alternatives and decide: ms never more. I still have parallels just in c

se. 

I did a comparasion that I have already posted in another forum:

I installed my 2 main applications: Adobe Photoshop and Adobe Indesign CS3 on both OSs. Results: Hack: 9% faster then XP on average. I have tried different combinations of filters and safes. Hack always win...

I also installed Geekbench on both. The funny results for geekbench:

My rig running Xp Sp2:

Run1 XP 2448

Run2 XP 2446

Run3 XP 2356

Average: 2416

My rig running Leopard:

Run1 Hack 2810

Run2 Hack 2767

Run3 Hack 2820

Average: 2799

So Leopard outperforms XP on my machine. Period.

Why I would go back? WHY? WHY? WHY????

I'm an old mac user and now my old P4 PC and a new Intel Core Duo PC are both mainly for OSX use :D

Still having some driver issues, but I use them anyways.

My main computer is my beloved 1st gen MacBook.

unfortunately i cant say that i have left windows 100% behind me. As a machinist/engineer i rely on wondows only programs such as autocad and Soldiworks and for that reason alone i have a 60gb hd with windows on it. I havent booted to windows in over 3 weeks now. i love my hackintosh!

I only hope that in the future Apple will consider supporting non-proprietary hardware and allow us to do this legally.

Bad Axe2

Core 2 Duo 2.4

4g ram

Geforce 7600gt

OSX 10.5.2

Well, it's only been about 10 days so far, but I haven't booted back into XP since I got Kalyway installed. No problems aside from a few gaming quirks (If anyone could tell me how to get Diablo II running...).

osx rox and you know I am sure that people from apple who are watching this forum are touched. Most of all of us will switch to real mac at some point and that's probably good :)

My leo runs stable but anyway I am thinking of real mac every f*ucking day :D

No. Simply because my webcam is unbranded and thus no drivers exist for it outside of windows.

However, I plan on buying a real mac soon (probably in the summer) which should have a camera built in.

My Hackintosh is set to dual-boot with Vista only because other people use the computer and will freak out if anything but Windows is there, but whenever I'm on, I reboot into Leopard. I finally have it stable and working excellently, and it will keep me entertained until I get a MacBook Pro in a few months.

And I'll Boot Camp up Windows XP only because there's some stuff that's XP only that I still need. But even then, I only plan on dedicating about 4-5GB for XP.

:)

Mostly, i sometimes boot into Windows to extract some strange image files from old console games or use some proprietary software, will try to switch to Ubuntu and wine for that (probably running in a VM).

I've been running Leopard for a week without a single problem and I am seriously considering deleting my Vista partition. I may end up just keeping a small windows partition incase Leopard breaks which will probably only happen if I start messing with drivers and things I shouldn't.

I bought an iBook a few years ago (just before the switch to Intel) which I absolutley adore and still use everyday. I've have been wanting to go all-mac since then but unfortunatley the Mac Pros are too expensive and there's nothing else which is fits my current needs. I will get an iMac when I leave university next year but until then I'll probably keep Windows around on my Hackintosh just in case it breaks.