New Time Machine and Airport updates not safe for most hack users.

apowerr

130 posts in this topic

Worked without a problem on my Core 2 Duo rig with PC_EFI v8. Considering how many reports of unsuccessful updates this update is a "try at your own risk" update. Now what i would like to know is does Netkas new AppleSMBIOS.kext fix any serious problems of native apps not working or so? Or does it just fix the game Second Life & CorePlayer?

After reading all the comments about this latest update and hearing mostly positive replies from all the people running 10.5.2 with pc-efi, I threw caution to the wind and ran the update. It was a welcome relief to see my desktop re-appear soon after the reboot. Look below for my specs. I ran a Time Machine update right after as well and it worked fine. Yeah.

post-14928-1206020455_thumb.jpg

ga-p35-ds4 users with retail dvd install method can update whithout problems, shutdown works well now with vanilla kernel; sleep and reboot don´t work. I was using netkas kernel before and i don´t see any improvement in system.

Works for me. Specs are:

P35-DS3P rev2.1

4GB ram.

Q6600

Nvidia 7600GT

Kalyway 10.5.1 updated to 10.5.2 (via Apple package/Netkas instructions).

Sleep still works. Had a KP on shutdown and restart hangs (so far). Only tried each once. I prefer sleep anyhow ;)

Also installed new AppleSMBIOS.kext. About to give secondlife a try. Only noticable diff is Boot ROM version is back to Hack.int.Osh :)

Are Apple always like this with releases or is it just while Leopard beds down?

Cheers,

Arkay.

Well the good news is I got the update installed and nothing blew up.

The bad news is the vanilla kernel "works" for me but has a bad timing problem that causes my sound to be staticy and my system clock drifts pretty bad, so I was on the ToH 9.2.0 which fixed it. I'll try to bang around some more to see if I can resolve these problems without a non-vanilla kernel, or hope for an updated custom kernel.

installed and worked great for me..now i have 9.2.2 mach_kernel.

Kalway 10.5.2 and pc_efi v8 Vanilla

M.Board......intel DG33FB

Processor: C2D E6550

RAM: 1 GB

Video: Palit 8500 GT 256MB QE/Ci Supported

Running Kalyway 10.5.2 update on a Dell 8400. I had upgraded to the new 9.2.0 kernel before this, and boot time was terribly slow (that was due to 10.5.2 update from 10.5.1, not the 9.2.0 kernel).

After installing this update I got stuck in reboot hell after 5 lines appeared on the screen. Popped into single user mode, went back to the 9.2.0 kernel and for some reason now boot to login screen is extremely fast. Whatever this update did other than the mach_kernel -- which I'm not using -- I just want to say THANK YOU APPLE.

-[ TEKA ]-

EDIT : iPhone no longer shows up when plugged in. I'll try replacing the System.kext to see if that fixes the problem.

Positive reports for both my laptop and desktop (specs in sig). Installed new SMBIOS prior to running updates. Both systems were using the vanilla 9.2.0 kernel to start with. Both systems do seem to be a bit snappier with the new kernel.

On a side note, have an AirPort Extreme base station and Airport Extreme Express forming a wireless bridge between two mini-lans in my home. I did see a definite small but noticeable bump up in speed after the firmware updates.

I successfully updated (I did the install without considering it would brick the system).

I read this on the front page and checked my kernel, sure enough, it was 9.2.2

I have a near perfect install... Shutdown didn't work with previous kernel and now it does. Only thing I need to fix is audio support to run S/PDIF and inputs.

On another note, have you guys got the new aluminium USB keyboard? Damn it is nice!

On another note, have you guys got the new aluminium USB keyboard? Damn it is nice!

Yeah it is, I've considered it but I'm glad I didn't buy it. I have to spend to much time in Windows everytime something goes wrong :rolleyes:

Worked just fine with no issues. I'm just glad it didn't break anything and it's really really hard to tell if there were any performance upgrades... overall I think 10.5 was all my machine needed in terms of performance upgrades. Cheers!

Sadly as I am not using EFI, my install did not work...

Originally installed a Brazilmac-style modified version of my own copy of leo, then updated directly from 10.5 to 10.5.2 via Kalyway, which worked fine.

My specs:

P4 HT 2.8ghz

2GB DDR

500 GB Seagate HD

256MB eVGA nVidia

Any help would be *greatly* appreciated. I'm going to attempt to replace the kernel back to the one installed through the kalyway upgrade...

I did the update and everything went smooth and now i have the new kernel version

Boot time is fast, about 8 seconds

One thing this update fixed on my computer is the mDNSresponder which was slowing my boot time...