New Time Machine and Airport updates not safe for most hack users.

apowerr

130 posts in this topic

hi peeps

i did the update and after the first reboot everything seemed to work fine. then i rebooted again, and my airport stopped working. that is, it had trouble connecting to my wireless network (dell 1390 card). it just kept on timing out, or would not find my network at all.

i repaired the permissions on my drive and that fixed my problem.

hope this might come in handy for someone!

cheers

Sonrev

edit: running kalyway 10.5.1 updated to 10.5.2 on a Dell D830 with ALL the apple updates, system running smooth!

I see the question asked but not answered - how can we tell if we have the Vanilla kernel. If we don't have it, do we have to replace the entire installation, or can the kernel be downloaded separate from the rest of the Mac OSX86 install?

Yes, probably dumb questions, but everyone's a newbie sometime :-)

Hi guys. I try to install Time Machine and Airport updates and everything went fine coz I had EFI and vanilla kernel 9.2.0. Running iAtkos 10.5.1 with 10.5.2 Kalyway update, with manually added EFI. Problem is still the same can't reboot or restart comp. Do you have any idea how to fix this or it is problem in my components.

My spec. are:

Proc C2D E8400

Mobo: GA P35-DS3R

HDD: SG Baracuda 500 GB SataII

HDD: WD 160 ATA

Ram: 2GB

Graphic: ATI HD 2400 Pro

If anyone know how to fix problem that will be nice.

Thanks in advance for your help.

I'm seeing a lot of positive reports from people with EFI V8 and GUID. Can anyone state whether this update works with a vanilla kernel build running EFI V5 on MBR?

I'm running an MBR boot partition (on a RAID 0 pair) and I don't really have a desire right now to move to GUID and update to EFI V8 - especially as this isn't so straightforward on the Bad Axe 2.

MBR or GUID has no effect on this and efi version is not determined by the kernel version, i.e it just has more features.

So vanilla kernel == vanilla kernel. :(

If I'm booting with EFI emulation regardless of the version, and into the vanilla kernel, then I should be fine. Will try it later. I have at least two other bootable system drives I can get back in on should I mess this up.

Im having a kernel panic after the update. My pc only boots by the "cpus=1" method. Nothing else works, no safe mode or anything....is there a way to uninstall the update or something??

I tried reparing permissions, and has not solved the problem either.

thank you!

Ok, I'm running vanilla and the new kernel crashes during startup when IOATAFamily.kext is loaded. If I use the old 9.2 kernel, the system will start, but ONLY if I force reload my kexts on every boot. Otherwise, the extensions kextcache gets corrupted somehow and refuses to find IOATAFamily.kext.

I've tried running the stock .kext and two different patched versions, with the same result.

Am I the ONLY Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3 user with this problem? Really?

hi folks. nope this all went a bit pete tong for me..... something to do with appleACPI.kext. Basically it would sometimes boot up but more often not, in verbose mode it was giving errors with the above kext sorry can't remember the exact message. At any rate when it decided to boot i changed the kernel for Netkas's latest one seems to be booting ok now

Specs: Foxconn 975X7AB m/b

Intel core 2 duo 2.4 ghz

4 gig ram

Nvidia 7300 GS

western digital 320 gig sata h/d

PIONEER DVD-RW DVR-115D

This update used to break my Kalyway 10.5.2 machine.  However I tried again, right after install Time Machine update where it tells me to "restart", I installed the Kalyway 10.5.2 new Kernel BEFORE I restarted the machine.

It works fine now.

been on holiday for a couple of weeks so only just got around to reading this thread. after reading all the positive comments from fellow PC-EFI/Vanilla hack users i went ahead and installed it. so far no problems. can't say my system feels any quicker, but to be honest it was quick to start with :)

edit- things do actually seem quicker, especially the loading of apps.

post-101898-1206993412_thumb.png

Ok, so I mistakenly made the update (non EFI) which hosed my kernel. I rolled back to a working kernel and everything seems fine.

What is the disadvantage of not rolling back my System.kext?

From what I know, if your system.kext do not match your kernel version then you will have issues concerning usb stick mounting, I mean, they won´t mount unless you reboot. At least this hapeened to me lot of times and it was always the system.kext.