Zephyroth Leopard 10.5.2 for AMD Succes Or Problem Thread

microsoft whiz

497 posts in this topic

Nick.. That's a kernel panic. Boot up with a -v and see if you can see what's causing it. -v -x will boot you up in safe mode.

Stegg.. You're right. It doesn't support your chipset/hard drive controller. Try getting a SATA to IDE adapter to get the install done, then see if you can find a kext for your SATA controller and you can move back to the SATA controller. :) Hope that helps.

As for me.. I got Zephy rev 1 installed. Kept coming up with Kernel panic if I'd install nVinject. If I didn't install nVinject, it would get stuck in some kind of GUI startup loop. It'd come up with a grey screen and my mouse cursor, then go black, and repeat, every 15 seconds or so.. So I grabbed the GeForce 8500GT card out of my other Hackintosh and tried that (was trying to use the onboard video on my nForce chipset). It worked great. Booted right up into the OS and got stuck in the Welcome to your Mac loop. (Due to the lack of network card drivers, from what I can tell, easy enough to get around)

So once again, specs on this system:

Athlon 64 3500+ (according to Procinfo in Linux, it does not have SSE3)

MSI K8NGM2-L motherboard

1GB DDR

SATA 160gb Seagate

DVD-RW PATA drive

I can't leave my good card in this machine. I'm building this one for a family member that needs a good computer. :P I ordered up a GeForce 7300LE, was the cheapest PCI-x card that I could find. :) Once I get that installed, it should simply be a matter of getting the onboard sound (no problem, it's an ALC something or other) and onboard lan working (I think it's a Realtek, haven't even looked for a KEXT yet). I'll probably toss in another gig of ram too.

Anyone use a 7300LE in OS X? Anyone get a 64 X2 CPU to work - ie, BOTH cores? I wouldn't mind tossing in an X2, if I knew it'd actually be used.

Using Leopard-10.5.2-Amd-Efi, I can boot until I see Installer.

Then I load Disk utility to format partition... but I got no disk or partition to choose! :(

simply a blank window with no device disk inside.

any idea? seems Leopard doesn't support my chipset...

I have the same problem as you, stegg, with 10.5.2 rev1. In rev2 i can't get into the installer, it freezes on well known "still waiting for the root device" - maybe unsupported chipset (my is AMD 690). It can't be anything else, but i'm not expert.

Any ideas? I have some ideas, but little bit expensive or complicated:

1. Try some supported PCI/ PCI-E SATA controller. Which is good enought and also widely available in eastern European countries?

2. What about replace of AppleViaATA.kext file (add SATA support into install DVD)?

I'll appreciate all suggestions.

PC: Acer Travelmate 4404Wlmi

Graphics: Ati Radeon Mobility X700 64mb 1024x768 CI(software)/no QE

Mobo: dunno but the southbridge is an ATI SB400

Sound: yes

Extra items selected during install: bootloader mbr, ac97 drivers, broadcom, driver for via and sb400_500_600

I had to install and do the first boot with an Intel laptop, everything was working more or less but my bcm4318 wasn't detected and whenever I booted OSX complained about problems with the EXtensions folders... So I did a fix permission and that killed my install...Ouch. I think I'll just give up on installing osx on that notebook for now.

my two cents...

yesterday, did about a 10 reinstalls in a day, almost went mad doing all the "dd" and "fdisk" stuff and not getting past anything...

i figured out, that most of my problems get solved by just choosing different install options in Customize...:

b0 error, "_" blinking cursor, HFS+ partition error -> partition using MBR, choosing the single boot MBR boot loader

still waiting for root device -> installing the correct (nForce in my case) chipset drivers

unknown SIGSEGV code 0 crash, not loading loginwindow -> NOT installing any of the ToH kernels

I also got kernel panic for AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext, went into single user mode, deleted the folder (/System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntelCPUManagement.kext) and it booted

now running zephyroth's 10.5.2 on a:

Athlon 5600+ X2 Dual Core running as 2.8 GHz Unknown CPU

Chipset: nForce

Video: GeForce 8600 512MB running with NVinjectGo 0.2.0

Dual monitor working, external USB Audio working

mad props to the author for this release!!!

Using Leopard-10.5.2-Amd-Efi, I can boot until I see Installer.

Then I load Disk utility to format partition... but I got no disk or partition to choose! :)

simply a blank window with no device disk inside.

any idea? seems Leopard doesn't support my chipset...

my system:

CPU: AMD Athlon 64 X2 5200+

Motherboard: Asus M2V Chipset VIA K8T890, AMD Hammer

Memory: 2048 MB (DDR2-800 DDR2 SDRAM)

BIOS: AMI (04/30/07)

Video: ATI Radeon HD 2400 PRO (256 MB)

Hard drive: Western Digital WD5000KS Sata 500 GB

Lan: 3Com EtherLink XL 10/100 PCI (3C905C-TX)

Most Mac OS x86 installers, initially, DO NOT work with SATA...Try using IDE Drive. (=

Hey guys,

My install has not been successfull due to what seems to be a USB I/O issue. I can get as far as the language selection screen, but my usb mouse and keyboard are frozen.

Specs:

CPU: AMD AM2 Opteron 1212 dual-core (2.0ghz SSE3)

Motherboard: BFG Tech AM2 nForce 590 SLI (spitting image of the Foxconn am2 nforce 590 sli, as well as the evga and xfx versions)

Memory: 4gigs of ddr2 800 (5-5-5-15)

DVD drive: NEC IDE DVDrw(working) LITE-On SATA DVDrw (not working)

Graphics: Nvidia 8800gt 512mb

HDD: Sata II WD 160gb -- appears to be working.

This mouse/keyboard/usb issue can be linked to several other cases which also involved this motherboard model.

I'm currently testing out an older "IOUSBFamily.kext" file to see if this does anything. I'll report back with my findings. *EDIT: no joy on the old IOUSBFamily.kext, I'm gonna give loe4allv2 a shot.*

hello guys just want to share some experiences running mac on a hack(rig is on sig):

Using Leopard ISO 10.5.2 by Zephyroth

Successfully installed but failed on first boot

selected the following on customized install:

TOH kernel 9.2.0

alc883 inject

NVinject 0.2.1

NVIDIA 3/4/5/6 chipset drivers

Forcedeath drivers

MBR Bootloader EFI v8

Problems:

Black boot, Video card not properly detected, Darwin detected 256mb Vesa only

booted with -x flag

Booted fine but no qe/ci

alcinject.kext not working

everything else worked with internet.

Solutions:

Flashed my ROM as per gotoh's instruction, used a USB Flash Drive

Flashing Sucessful, Darwin detects 512 MB at boot but still no qe/ci

Edited plist to include device ID using property list editor

Rebooted, changing resolutions works but still no luck with qe/ci.

removed alcinject.kext

installed alc883.mkpg

rebooted, sound finally working

but still no qe/ci

updated graphics with apple graphics update, patch with marvin's amd utility

edited info.plist of some kexts relating to graphics

fixed permissions

rebooted, qe/ci finally works!

awesome release by Zephyroth, dangerous but working flashing by Gotoh!

currently testing iLife08, Aperture 2, iWork 08, Final Cut Express, Logic Express 8 and Microsoft Office 08 for Mac.

will post some screenshots later... :D

Works and works great! Zeph My Love! :-D

PC : Self Assembled - Athlon 64 3000+ (SSE2 only)

Graphics Card : 7600GT (256 MB) PCIe (with full QE/CI)

Mobo : MSI RS480M2-IL

Sound : AC 97 (working)

Extra items during installation :

-> nVidia driver for 10.5.2

-> nvinject 0.20 (for 256 MB)

Network, sound, USB - all work out of the box. I can't believe it!

Works Great!!!

I can't believe I don't need to pull out another DVD drive and IDE HDD to install OSX!

SATA FTW!

And I just got my XFX 8600GT yesterday so I now have QE/CI

See signature for specs.

Loaded tulip.kext for external ethernet.

The ALC883 driver from the Install disk didn't work so I downloaded the extra package. But when I installed it, my restart, shutdown and sleep doesn't work anymore. :'(

Ok Got a "Still waiting for root device" over here. its come up about 12 times now (i remember using jas 10.

4.8 i had to wait for it to come up like 4 times and then it would go) it says it found two drives. I have the option to use a sata DVD drive should i do that? other wise i got an 80 gig and a dvd drive on IDE and a 320 gb sata on sata 1. so... yeah

edit***Disconnected the IDE HDD and i got a whole bunch of errors for some reason. HFS mount failed 5, Disk 1s2 io error,phy connection failed for the ata, does this mean i cant install on sata or should i try using all sata devices including the DVD drive?

Ok Got a "Still waiting for root device" over here. its come up about 12 times now (i remember using jas 10.

4.8 i had to wait for it to come up like 4 times and then it would go) it says it found two drives. I have the option to use a sata DVD drive should i do that? other wise i got an 80 gig and a dvd drive on IDE and a 320 gb sata on sata 1. so... yeah

edit***Disconnected the IDE HDD and i got a whole bunch of errors for some reason. HFS mount failed 5, Disk 1s2 io error,phy connection failed for the ata, does this mean i cant install on sata or should i try using all sata devices including the DVD drive?

Try an older MeDevil nForce kext?

Great Release ZEPHY

PC : Self Assembled

Proc : AMD 3200+ Venice OC 2400mhz

Mobo : ASUS A8nVmCSM

Display : Geforce 6200 TC 128 MB QE/CI supported

Sound : Soundmax ADI AD1986A only two channel no input

HDD :IDE ST320413A Seagate (LEOPARD), ST3808110AS (VISTA)

DVD Drive : SSST Corp CDDVDW SHS203-B

the dvd writer is being a pain in the backside for me. its detected and shows up in the taskbar or whatever they call it in OSX but when i insert a disc it will go on reading with led flashing forever....working fine under vista. ..worked as well on OSX 10.4.7 jAs please help.

Help, can anyone help me out?, I am trying to install 10.5.2, and I had the still waiting for root device, then i fixed it by typing in rd=disk0s1 Now I get the part where it asks me to restart my computer bu holding down the power button blah blah blah. Can anyone help me out? :(

Hey,

I'm getting the still waiting for root device message. I have never booted once and using the 10.5.2 disk. I get stuck when loading or get the still waiting for boot device with +v.

I have a mobile sempron 3200+ on the 200x chipset.

I haven't seen that hardware on the approved or denied list so if it's a hardware error please tell me.

I've tried almost all of the fixes for the "still waiting..." error and I don't want to reinstall if I can because the install takes about 4 hours?! on my laptop.

If anyone could help me that'd be great.

Thanks.

Hello, i have tried countless times to get the leopard 10.5.2 rev 2 DVD to work on my machine, i am just about ready to give up, maybe you guys can help me out with my issue... i can't get to the installation, the DVD boots and says "still waiting for root device"... here is what i get:

imag0041sp2.jpg

Specs:

Motherboard: ECS Geforce 750SM-M

Processor: AMD Athlon 6000+ X2

Ram: 2GB DDR2

DVD-Rom: DVD-DL 16xDVD Burner

Hard drive 1: SATA Maxtor 250GB

Hard drive 2: IDE1 Slave 200GB

Graphics card: Nvidia 7050GT / Nforce 630 (256MB Shared)

i only have 1 IDE controller, but my patched iATKOS Rev 2 iso can boot into the installation and install, i just can't get it to boot, so i figured this image should be better... any help is really appreciated, thanks!

EDIT: See sig for system specs

Got Zephyroth 10.5.2 (i think rev. 1) installed and almost working. Couldn't use GUID; only EFI-MBR would boot. Once it booted I couldn't for the life of me get QE-CI working with either a Radeon X1800GTO or an Nvidia 8800GT. Audio worked, but Quicktime kept crashing whenever I played non-native formats (ie, anything other than .mov files.) I need QT for running iDVD '06, so Zephyroth is a non-starter. Has anyone with my motherboard had any luck getting Zephyroth to install? Or on any nForce 430 mobo? I'll try to find rev. 2 soon and give that a try. For now, it's back to Myzar...

Hello, i have tried countless times to get the leopard 10.5.2 rev 2 DVD to work on my machine, i am just about ready to give up, maybe you guys can help me out with my issue... i can't get to the installation, the DVD boots and says "still waiting for root device"... here is what i get:

Superman, I'm assuming that since you specify a slave IDE drive that you've got the DVD configured as master. I'd try reversing the config and make the IDE drive master and the DVD slave. That's the usual config. Your setup might be confusing the installer.

After two weeks of hacker headbashing, I finally got it to work! I'm looking to learn FCP so this is the best way till i get cash

--Made 100 gig partition in windows by using acronis disk director

--Used acronis DD to make the new (leopard) partition active, restarted with Zephyroth 10.5.2 Rev1

-- Used Disk utility to reformat, note: Call the volume "Leopard" (minus the quotes)

--Selected TOH 9.2, nforce4 chipset, no audio cause i dont have onboard sound, and no graphics because i get everything from kernel panic to well, panic! also selected MBR and forcedepth driver for ethernet.

--install was success, ran disk permissions and then marvin's AMD patch because I have AMD. i used Zephyroth universal nvidia installer along with the latest nvinject .21

-- i installed basic kexts only with zephy nvidia installer first, did not pick any video cards. then, i made sure to add my device ID to the NVDAR40 NVDARESMAN, and GeForce kext. you can find a guide by googleing "how to get nvidia card working in leopard" that will show you the trick to adding device IDs.

--after adding device IDs i then followed the guide taken from NVinject forms to install it in terminal, the last step ending with a reboot.

--after reboot, i had resolution change and QE/CI! sweet eh? but i need to figure out A)a soundcard that works in osx86 leopard or :P figure out how to add an audio port to my board and get ac 97 working. sleep does not work either!

-- i also used IOnetworkingfamilyfix.pkg to fix time machine. USB kext to add usb and IO80211family kext, which is the driver for Wg311t. must use network diagnostics to connect to the net but it works with WPA pass! used kext helper with the two kexts.

note: i can get sound with Siig USB Soundwave 7.1 Not ideal for video editing but a temporary solution! PM or email for mo' info

PC: AMD X2 3800+ (SSE2/3)

Graphics: ATI x1950xtx 512mb

Mobo: MSI K9N Platinum

Sound: Realtek ALC883

Extra items selected during install: ATI 19x0, Azalia, ToH 9.2.0

Overall/Summary: "Everything" works but all menus are pitch black. I chosed the ATI x19x0 graphics driver in the install but it didn't seem to work so I installed Jccool's driver for 10.5.1 and x1950xt (which are not very different from my x1950xtx) and I got dual monitors and perfect resolution and so but all menus are black, also all popups in Safari and in setups are black. Network worked the first hour then it has cancelled to work but since the settings are pitch black I don't know if there is any setting for me to do that will make my network work again. So What I would like is some kind of new graphics driver or patch to make my menus less black :thumbsdown_anim: .

I have asus L1N64-WS, AMD FX-74 Quad, dual BFG 8800GT's, 8GB ram, and it didnt work.got the following message "stil waiting for root device"what should i do?oh and i have all drives sata including both DVD's, no IDE's

Superman, I'm assuming that since you specify a slave IDE drive that you've got the DVD configured as master. I'd try reversing the config and make the IDE drive master and the DVD slave. That's the usual config. Your setup might be confusing the installer.

i've tried countless configurations in both hardware and bios settings, ultimately this release didn't work for me... i finally got leopard installed with Leo4All. the only problem (with any installation) is that Mac only sees 128GB of my 200GB hard drive. Additionally i dont have Video Acceleration, no Audio, or Lan working, which really sucks... after i got the install i can't use any programs, lol. but oh well i guess, i can't do anything about it for now, i've spent hours trying to get at least one of the three to work but they dont... maybe someone with a similar motherboard or similar peripherals has gotten it to work and can help me out, thanks

core and bit are completely different shoes. :hysterical:

;) BUT YUCHHEEE !!!

I got the kernel_task problem solved!

If someone wants to know what I did, feel free to ask *smile*

I'll publish the entire installation story later here ...

Now I am really euphoric about that release!

why not just say how you fixed it? i'd like to know how.