4GB of ram random crashes/freezes/kernel panics..

135 posts in this topic

Nuke61: try turning off JMicron since you no longer need it. That may help with sleep. Since it's not a desktop machine, maybe you don't need the sleep feature anyway.

bedlight: you're likely in the wrong forum. If you're getting the same kernel panic, then maybe you're right, but it's unlikely. Run memtest86+ ("remem" is an OS X application that reimplemented it, maybe for PPC, but memtest86 should run on macs I'd guess) and run it overnight. Replace RAM that gives any error at all in Memtest86+. Check your RAM's brand for Mac compatibility. Contact Macsales (that's OWC for the non-mac people) about the trouble you're having. Check the console log for what Safari is doing wrong. Since you haven't read the very specific problem that's happening in this thread, it's unlikely that continuing here will help. I'd suggest posting the problem in the Macintosh subforums :(

Frizbot, I bought another 500 gig SATA drive, transferred all the data from the 500 gig PATA drive to it, then turned off JMicron. The computer is rock solid, with 3 days of uptime that would have been 1 week if I hadn't rebooted after a software install wanted a reboot.

Give up sleep? It's one of the things I enjoy most about Leopard... nearly instant sleep and wake from sleep, with the computer just as I left it. XP and Vista have never worked as well when going into a low power mode.

Excellent!

I think sleep, or low-power mode, is necessary on laptops. Generally on desktops, it tends to be annoying. An efficient powersupply (>80%), monitor power save, and occasionally speedstep/cool'n'quiet (difficult with OSX86) can make sleep redundant. I'm not sure how much power PCs save when "sleeping", though Apple's old customized PPC hardware was quite efficient at it. Might want to check out Camino/Firefox features "remember websites on close", and features like it to enable shutting down. Otherwise, I avoid sleep since my machines tend to be servers, and sleep cuts network connections.

I hope the message helped bedlight. In general, I suggest running Memtest86+ at least overnight, or for 24h when possible, on all new RAM. Untrackable instability is hell to troubleshoot, and I've seen a LOT of RAM sticks fail. Sent about 5 back, threw out about 2 sticks. Lifetime warranty is a plus ;-)

I'm not sure how much power PCs save when "sleeping", though Apple's old customized PPC hardware was quite efficient at it. Might want to check out Camino/Firefox features "remember websites on close", and features like it to enable shutting down. Otherwise, I avoid sleep since my machines tend to be servers, and sleep cuts network connections.

I use Firefox on Windows and on OS X. I tried Safari for several days, and just couldn't get over having to right click and select open in new tab for links. I just prefer the simple left click and the link opens in a tab and not a new window like Firefox does it.

As for sleep, I wanted to find out exactly how much power is being used so I hooked up my "Watt's Up" to the computer. When the back panel power switch is Off, the power is 0.0 watts (duh!) and with the switch On (but the computer still Off) the power usage is 3.9 watts.

When booting, the average power used is 135 watts, as the hard drives spin up, graphics card powering up, etc.

When going through BIOS the power use drops to 120 or so, and when at the Darwin screen the power use drops to 115 watts. After logging in and nothing but the Finder running the power consumption is 101 watts. When in Sleep mode, the power usage drops to 5.6 watts.

So, the difference between just applying power to the motherboard without any OS running is 3.9 watts vs 5.6 watts -- 1.7 watts to keep OS X in sleep mode. Those numbers are just the computer itself.

For the monitor, a 19" Sony LCD display, the numbers are 32.8 watts while running and 0.0 watts when the computer goes to sleep mode.

Hmm... I am running SI3132 base kext for my OS partition, had tried raid kext for a few days as well. I have 8GB of RAM, and inactive cache memory fill them up very often.

So I am certain that SI3132 kext doesn't have PAE or 64 bit addressing problem, unless you have an outdated driver or some sort.

Are you on AMD system? I used to be on AMD as well and had this problem that was never solved.

sil3132 raid kext is perfect?

In my case, Sil 3132 raid kext is make problem with 4G ram.

It's the same with sil3132 base kext.

is it my card's problem?

why?

i did a lot of testing now i'm sure it's because of the 4GB ram

i use kalyway 10.5.1 now fully updated to 10.5.2 with the 9.2.0 vanilla kernel and also the graphics update

the problem is not there ,i had the random crashes (freezes) even with 10.5.1 (and a lot of ppl)

is it because of kalyway's release and 4gb of ram? some kext that it's modified?

please share your opininions i'm sure a lot of ppl had problems with 4GB of ram and random crashed ,now everybody just use maxmem=2048

or i missed something and can resolved?

I disabled my IDE interface on my P5K Deluxe and all +4GB ram problems disappeared.

The JMicron driver was causing all my issues. Everything is stable with 8GB.

I disabled my IDE interface on my P5K Deluxe and all +4GB ram problems disappeared.

The JMicron driver was causing all my issues. Everything is stable with 8GB.

so you have 8GB installed and it's completely stable?

can i ask you, did you delete your JMicron.kext?

if so, did you have to repair permission or boot with -f afterwards?

thanks!!

• 2 weeks later...

Just my two cents:

OS= Kalyway 10.5.1 + 10.5.2 using Software Update

Features= EFI V8, GUID, Vanilla kernel

CPU= E6550 2.33GHz @ 2.975GHz (425MHz x 7)

MB= GA-P35C-DS3R Rev. 2.0

RAM= 4x1GB Kingston 800MHz @ 850MHz (1:1 FSB->RAM ratio)

VGA= 8400GS PCI-E 256MB with NVInject

System drive connected to a SATA JMicron port. Controller set to IDE mode.

DVD drive connected to a SATA ICH9R port. Controller set to RAID mode

I too had black screens of death while trying to do one of the following two operations:

1. Copy a file from a DVD disc to the system drive.

2. Defrag C drive on a WinXP virtual machine using VMWare Fusion v1.1.1 (72241). The VM file is also located on the system drive.

Again, I would get BSOD's in the middle of one of these operations.

After reading this post carefully I thought what the heck and decided to switch the JMicron controller to AHCI mode.

IT COMPLETELY FIXED IT ! :):hysterical:

Hope this helps ;)

hi.

I had panics on GA-P35-DS3R, Q6600 with 4GB (2x2GB), with SATA and IDE drives, I disabled JMicron in the bios and so far so good. No panics yet. Is there any reason to delete the JMicron kext if you disable it in the bios?

I just ordered another SATA drive so I can move my XP to that drive and off of IDE which is on JMicron. Whenever I tried to access the drive I would always get a KP and after reading this thread, I see that it was the JMicron controller after all.

Just a quick question, since I will have 3 SATA devices, which chipset drivers should I use? I won't be using IDE at all, should I be using DuNe's drivers or cyclonefr's drivers? Should I turn on AHCI since I have 4GB of RAM? Specs are in sig.

• 2 weeks later...
hi.

I had panics on GA-P35-DS3R, Q6600 with 4GB (2x2GB), with SATA and IDE drives, I disabled JMicron in the bios and so far so good. No panics yet. Is there any reason to delete the JMicron kext if you disable it in the bios?

When I added a PATA drive to my setup, my system began kernel panicking when I reached 3GB memory usage.

I limited ram with maxmem=3072 and it worked again, but this limit p***ed me off.

I removed the PATA drive and enabled AHCI and disabled onboard IDE, now everything is working again.

If I remember correctly; AHCI could be enabled or disabled, it had no effect on stability.

I plan to add 4GB, and will keep you updated about this setup.

MB : Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L - AHCI ENABLED - IDE DISABLED

RAM : TwinX 4096 @ 800

HDD : 2x SATA II

DVD : 1x SATA

Hi guys, what about memory timings? I was having the same problems with leopard crashing on boot after going from 2GB to 4GB of memory. But I fixed them and now I am running happily with 4GB! Here's how I fixed my memory issue:

I have an Asus P5B Premium motherboard with the P965 chipset. All my CPU-related settings are set to auto.

I tried the usual stuff first: The maxmem=xxxx flag with several values under 3.5 Gig.. Didn't work. Then I made sure the Jmicron controller was disabled in the bios and that no IDE devices were attached to my mobo. Didn't work. After the boot menu, OSX would crash with a lot of crazy info on the screen.

I then removed a stick of memory so I had just three sticks of 1GB. Everything working perfect, but no dual channel anymore with such a setup. And only 3gb. Darn.

Frustrated about it, I tre-inserted my fourth memory stick and went back to the bios.

- I Changed from "automatic memory configuration by SPD" to manual setting.

- Now the screen displays a bunch of settings related to my memory.

- I searched on the web and found all the correct settings for my memory. 4-4-4-12 and then some other values (a 35 and a bunch of 10's).

- Saved changes, rebooted, everything works! Profiler happily reports my RAM and everything is solid as a rock!

So in the end, manually specifying my memory timings did the trick!

I think all of you are missing some important information. There is a fix for this and it's included on the Leo4All v3 DVD. There's an ICH fix that enables the last 2 SATA ports under AHCI mode, and works with 4+ GB of RAM (see my sig.) There is no need to disable anything in the BIOS either.

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=88335

Just rename your JMicron kext so it's doesn't load at next reboot (delete mkext as usual). You will lose IDE drives but OSX will become rock stable ;)

where is this Jmicrin.kext located ?? and what is mkext , and where is this also ?? sorry i am new to this

Hmm. I've got an X38 chipset mobo, but the southbridge set is still ICH9R. I have AHCI enabled, and JMircon enabled and the kext installed... my DVD drive is an IDE one....

....and everything works. I've done numerous stress-tests, and haven't been able to get a KP. I've had a couple freezes, and a couple frozen apps, but not many, and NO black screen saying "turn off the computer". ONLY ONE TIME have I had a freeze that involved usage of my DVD drive.

...is my mobo just somehow utterly immune to this problem???

I´m getting kind of confused here I have Kalys Leo 10.5.1 only IDE drives, one hard drive and one DVD on the same cable on a GA P35 DS3R mobo a q6600 cpu, 8 gigs memory. Been running my hack with 8 gigs for a couple of months now and maby have had a few hickups. No more serious than I get with my Mac Mini. I have only tested the capacity of my gear in a benchmarktest in Logic Pro but that´s it, so far anyway. But I believe that this test is so heavy that I should have got these crashes you´re talking about here but I didn´t? Strange for sure

• 2 months later...

I am getting random kernel panics. I tried disabling memory remap in the BIOS but then osx wouldn't boot at all (Kernel panic at boot). I need JMicron enabled because OSX is installed on an IDE drive. The kernel panic I always get is:

01/08/2008 08:38:06 DumpPanic[51] Error getting a reference to IODeviceTree:/options. (i get the standard Grey 'restart screen' but this is in the console)

My system info is in my signature. Can anyone help me resolve this?

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

hi there

i was in same situation with my 6gb ram ,asus P5K deluxe wifi and 10.5.4 idebian

random kernel panics or frezees ; crash when launching memtest....

but stable with maxmem 3071 (using AHCI)

disabling jmicron was NOT the solution ,

jmicron dev 2363 IS the problem (PATA device)

AHCI SATA jmicron works well with 4gb+

so...

i upgraded my bios from 501 to 901 version (latest for this card)

and tadam my mac os 10.5.5 is rock solid (this morning i launched a 3h after effects render while working in FCP and motion...without any problem)

and my mac os x is booted since two days....

kernel panics occured when jmicron adapter was enabled or not BEFORE my bios update

be aware that upgrading the bios you can be in front of kernel panic problem while booting osx

it's because the kernel is more sensitive to certain bios settings concerning cpu

c1e must be disabled

XT and Vt enabled

apic 2 and acpi 2 enabled

i have a dual core 2.12 ghz overclocked at 3,41 and 6go dual channel 1066 ddr2 ram

also i changed the stock smbios to a modified 1066 smbios (found in idebian distrib)

sata ahci (ich9) and j micron ahci works flawlessly with esata hot plug BUT i deleted PATA device in infoplist of jmicronATA.kext (2363197b) PATA jmicron and lost PS2 keyboard , (i think due to smbios i will search for that later...)

i can't use official jmicron driver , it cause kernel panic on boot (talking about ioatafamily and ioatablockstorage)

i tried to inject 2363197b in ioatafamily/applepiixata.kext but without results

voila

so if u cant find a solution for your freezzes try this...

.klimo.